Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:48:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 216
Total: 216

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My story  (Read 9152 times)

Offline scribble

My story
« on: May 17, 2011, 09:14:19 pm »
Hello ladies. I am new to the site so I wanted to introduce myself and let you all know a little bit about me. I am a 27 year old female. I found out I was HIV positive about  a month ago. My daughters father gave this to me, he knew for years and never once mentioned it to me! I take responsibility for my actions and don't blame him completely but I had no idea. My last test that i had in 07 was negative and I hadn't been with anyone since then so I never got tested again. Anyway he left me after I had our daughter and he is now in prison and decided to write me and let me know about him being positive so I could get tested and get our daughter tested because now he has found God and wants to do what is right. Anyway, here I am. The best news is that my daughter is fine! She tested negative and is 4 years old so she is clear, thank God for that. Well, i have a lot of mixed emotions and all kinds of fears and everything! I think this sight and you all can help ease my mind somewhat and give me some where/one to talk to who has been there before. Well when I found out on April 11 my cd4 count was 76 and my viral load 750,000!!! I was devastated because I am a nurse and I knew that was not good! So I had to start medication immediately. I have been on Atripla for about 3 weeks. I had a few of the dreams but I have a awful rash and my hair started coming out more and more everyday! I was in the doctors office yesterday very sick, and they said I was going through IRIS syndrome. They done new labs but I haven't gotten the results. I just pray that my levels and headed in the right direction. Anyway, I woke up with a worse rash today so they told me to stop the atripla and on Thursday I will start Truvada and Isentress. I don't know what that will do but I hope my hair stops coming out and I hope to get good news on my lab results later this week. I am wondering how everything will affect my nursing career and all kinds of things about my future. I have been dating someone since August of last year and I told him the day I found out and he tested negative, thank God. And he still wants to stay with me but I am so scared and needless to say I haven't had sex with him since I found out. He bought a case of condoms and wanted to go on like normal but I can't right now. I feel so contagious. I don't know if anyone knows what I going through or has any advice but I am open to any suggestions! It easy to tell someone something when you haven't been in that situation, so I am hoping I can depend on people here to help me! thank you all for the support and the website!

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: My story
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 09:32:03 pm »
Hi scribble I read your othe post before this one, glad they have decide to change meds, sometimes it take's a wee while for the side effects to ease, but in this case it's better they took you off the Atripla...hope you don't have any problems with the other combo, but I hear it's a pretty good one...I'm on Kivexa, and Reyataz.

I'm so please to hear that your daughter is negative, take care of yourself and stick around, I don't come into this forum very often but I do read it and keep interested about the ladies here, and there are some amazing ladies here believe me.

listen to them they will point you in the right direction.

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 09:55:28 pm »
Hey Scribble,

Love the name. Welcome. I started Isentress/Truvada in October and it's been a good run thus far.

Glad you have a four-year-old who's healthy and greeting you each day. 

Gonna watch The Voice...gotta run.

Em

Offline karry

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 10:09:12 am »
Hi Scribble
Welcome to the forums. Hope you will find this site as supportive and as imformative as I have since I was diagnosed 4 years ago.

Sad story about your infection. I am glad however he mustered the courage to tell you to get tested and now you can take care of yourself. I know it will take you a long time to heal from the shock of this and from what he did to you, but start by not blaming yourself for what happened.

Wish you all the best.
Karry
Take it a day at a time....and be positive about it too!

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 03:27:36 pm »
By the way, Scribble, it appears you must be Irish and near a rainbow for you've found a pot 'o gold of a guy...

"I have been dating someone since August of last year and I told him the day I found out and he tested negative, thank God. And he still wants to stay with me... "

I agree with Karry. You've been through a lot in a short time, so you're still getting over the stress.t's traumatizing to have a big life shift like this.

So regarding getting over that contagious feeling in order to have sex again. Go at whatever pace you're comfortable. Your guy seems to be smart enough to know you'll need some time. And, quite often, creativity or different techniques turn the tide.

Would things be easier if you got a babysitter and had a full, fun date night? Or, how about receiving full body massage from him and simply teach yourself to let go again. Small steps.

Em

Offline TexMo

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 09:13:43 pm »
Hi, Scribble,
I started writing to you and I think I lost it.  I, too, am a nurse.  I have been living with HIV for 21 years.  I have AIDS, but plenty of cd4 cells and an undetectable viral load on a twice daily regimen for more than six years.
IT GETS BETTER.
Hang in there!  Hopefully you live in a city that has support groups you can go to.  If not, I hope you will return to check your replies.  You can also post on theBody.com.
Peer support is crucial.
The Americans with Disabilities Act protects you at work.  Some employers may give you trouble if they are not well educated about HIV.  Always use Universal Precautions.  Your HIV status is very sensitive and personal information, and I urge you to share it only on a "needs to know" basisi.  Once it's out, you can't put it back in.  Never ask someone to keep a secret you couldn't keep yourself.
Is there anything you would like to ask me?

Offline klassykitty

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 10:17:40 pm »
Scribble,

Hello and welcome.  I remember reading that 4 or so months ago.  Sometimes the men sound like a bunch of catty old women, but they are good and just full of more info. then I knew existed.  If I have a bad day, I'm almost guaranteed a good laugh going on the off topic forum. 

I take Truvada and Isentress.  Other then some bothersome side effects haven't had much trouble with it.  Diarrhea and fatigue are ones that happen the most, but for me they are the worst that has happened so I don't complain to much about it.  My hair did get thin though, another bothersome effect but then again not so bad.

My viral load fell real fast.  Mine was 125,000 or so when I was diagnosed, and 3 months later I was UD.  My CD4 was 33, and is up to 69, but that going up slowly is normal from what I've been told and read.  I also just had an infection so that could have kept it down also.

I understand about the sex part, but I'm on the other side, I want it and he won't give it.  He's not the guy I got it from. I got it from my ex and we broke up last year, nothing to do with the aids he had, he was just being mean.  When my ex was diagnosed we didn't have sex for almost a year, that includes oral, he was just to scared.  But we worked through that.  Just like now I am working through the same thing  with the guy I am now seeing.

Have a good day
michelle  8)

How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Offline scribble

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 08:35:45 am »
I just really want to thank everyone that replied. once I get off of work I will write back and let you know a little more. Today is my first day with Truvada and Isentress. Is it better to take Truvada at day or night? I have to ask my doctor but I took my first isentress about 30 minutes ago. I kind of dread waiting to see what happens. But I keep reminding myself that God doesn't make mistakes. I can do this!!

Offline scribble

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 02:50:50 pm »
Hey ladies!!!! I just got a call and my cd4 count is up to 305!!!!! The doctor was amazed!!! On April 17 it was 76! My viral load won't be resulted until tomorrow. I am so happy right now!!! I have a awful headache, I guess its the Isentress but idk anyway I can deal with that if my body is getting stronger. I have a beautiful little girl that needs here mother to be around for a very long time!!

Offline karry

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 03:45:42 pm »
Way to go, girl! I hope it only gets better and better for you!
Hugs and good vibes @ you!
Karry
Take it a day at a time....and be positive about it too!

Offline klassykitty

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 10:19:23 pm »
  I take my Truvada and Isentress in the morning with my breakfast.  I don't milk with it though, sometimes it leads to more gas.  I take my second Isentress in the evening.  I get headaches also,that's one of the reasons I take my first set with food sometimes it helps with the headaches.

Michelle  8)
How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 06:19:23 am »
Hey Scribble!  Great news about your t-cells! 

I've been diagnosed for 22 years.  And I'm also on Isentress and Truvada.  It's probably the friendliest combo I've been on, and I've been on quite a few different ones.  I actually take my Truvada at night, so I don't have to deal so much with the gas that's a side effect (I figure I can sleep through it).  Of course it's up to you when you take it; whenever you're most comfortable. 

I'm sure things will keep getting better and better for you.  Glad you joined us!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 10:26:20 am »
Hey Scribble,

I'm glad you asked that question about when do you dose because I got to see BT's reply. My doc and Inchingblue, another forum member, suggested the I/T in the a.m. -- so  that is when I take it. I didn't realize it was that dose that was most gas-inducing, I just figured it was the regimen in total. I will say, over time, it's lessened (the gaseousness). The only headaches I get still seem to be the weather-related migraines I've had for years--I've not seen any increase with meds. Congrats on that incredible CD4 rise! You must be quite relieve to see such a difference so quickly.

Em

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.