Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:34:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 608
Total: 609

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Help Support Marriage Equality  (Read 3098 times)

Offline buginme2

Help Support Marriage Equality
« on: June 26, 2012, 04:22:19 pm »
Earlier this year the Washington State legislature passed the bill legalizing Marriage Equality (aka gay marriage) and the Governor signed the bill into law.

Opposition groups organized and collected enough signatures to place a referrendum on the ballot forcing a popular vote on the issue.  Washington State residents will vote in November on whether to allow Marriage Equality.

As many of you may remember the same thing happened in California a few years ago.  Groups from outside the state poured money into an anti-gay marriage campaign inside the state to defeat the measure.

This year, in Washington, we are organized and ready to fight back but we need people who support our cause who live outside the state to help.

I am volunteering with "Washington United for Marriage" the organization formed to help pass this measure.

Please help us by "Liking" us on Facebook or your Twitter accounts.  Please post our website to your Facebook page, and if you live in Washington State help us by volunteering your time.

http://washingtonunitedformarriage.org/

http://www.facebook.com/WashingtonUnited

Ask your friends and family to donate and if you can donate, Donate!!!

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 04:27:18 pm by buginme2 »
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
Re: Help Support Marriage Equality
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 07:59:14 pm »
BUG

I'm with you on this one.  Ref 74 has qualified for the ballot, we'll have to wait and see if Init. 1192 also qualifies.

(for those not familiar:  74 asks voters if the law the legislature passed should go into effect.  Init. 1192 asks voters if WA should define marriage as only 1 man and 1 woman.)  So in other words if you support marriage equality a voter would have to  vote yes on 74 and no on 1192.  They've done this intentionally to confuse voters.

Bug, I'm not on Facebook or Twitter, but I have been active in this fight.  Good for you for bringing up this important issue.

RAB

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 10:13:54 pm »
I'm confused...  What if both "pass"?  Gay marriage will be the law under 74, but marriage will be defined as 1 man and 1 woman under 1192?

I mean, I get why they want to confuse and obfuscate, but what a mess 2 "yes" results would be!!

Offline buginme2

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 02:40:59 am »
Initiative 1192 needs twice the number of signatures to get on the ballot as the referendum needed.  They need to turn in their signatures by July 6, to qualify.  I am still holding out hope that they don't qualify.  We'll see.

If either the initiative passes or the referendum fails, then the marriage equality law is cancelled.  If there is a split vote, as their could be, then that will set the stage for yet another fight. 

So far, the "National Organization for Marriage (NOM) has already pledged to spend $7million in the state to defeat the law.  That is why we need more help from our supporters.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 10:50:13 pm »

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 08:10:02 pm »
Here's some more good news.

It seems that Iniative 1192 won't qualify for the ballot.

http://www.advocate.com/politics/marriage-equality/2012/07/03/washington-initiative-against-marriage-equality-comes-short

Meaning it will be solely a yay or nay vote on Referendum 74.

Make no mistake, we've still got a major fight on our hands, but at least we (apparently) can focus on only one ballot measure.

RAB

Offline buginme2

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 02:13:53 pm »
The campaign to support marriage equality in Washington announced today that we raised $952,000 in the month of June.

The election is less than four months away. 

Washington State is on track to be the first state in the nation to extend marriage equality rights being upheld by a public vote. 

www.washingtonunitedformarriage.org

Offline buginme2

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 10:51:46 am »
Update:   

CEO of Amazon.com donated $2.5 million to the marriage campaign in Washington State and today the HRC announced it will donate $1 million (to be split amongst the four states with matriage initiatives on the ballot this year).  So far in Washington, pro marriage groups have significantly raised more money than the anti groups (in large part due to Jeff Bazos Amazon.com donation).  However, the anti groups will spend quite a bit if history is a lesson.  The polls are close and it can go either way. 

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 02:30:55 pm »
I think it's very possible we are going to win this thing.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/21/14011601-for-1st-time-gay-marriage-may-win-statewide-vote?lite&ocid=msnhp

Several major companies have come out in support of marriage equality here in WA.
Including Nike, Starbucks, Microsoft, Amazon.com (who donated a whopping 2 1/2 million dollars to the cause).

My partner and I celebrated our 25th anniversary last July and never did we think we'd see the day.  Now?  I think it's coming.

RAB   :)

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 06:48:35 pm »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.