Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:18:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 237
Total: 238

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: (NY) CITY HOSPITALS FIND 'HIDDEN' HIV POPULATION  (Read 4226 times)

Offline Iggy

(NY) CITY HOSPITALS FIND 'HIDDEN' HIV POPULATION
« on: October 03, 2006, 09:37:36 am »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 08:42:52 pm by Iggy »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: (NY) CITY HOSPITALS FIND 'HIDDEN' HIV POPULATION
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 09:39:17 am »
I'm certainly going to buy a tinfoil hat now.

Ai!

MtD

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 09:40:28 am »
I too was going to post this Igmeister, I wonder how many are republicans?
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 10:01:32 am »
Gee, I am in shock!

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline whizzer

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 09:57:02 pm »

1514 positives in 92,000 tested.  That's an infection rate of .016 percent.
The population of the US is, what, 300 million?

If that ratio held true for the general population, that would make 4 million, 800 thousand HIV positive people.

The CDC says there are 750,000 people  known HIV cases, with another 250,000 undiagnosed.
I'd say somone is underestimating the degree of the problem, wouldn't you?

Or does my arithmatic suck?

Offline Iggy

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 09:20:38 am »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 08:39:31 pm by Iggy »

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 10:49:37 am »
The CDC says there are 750,000 people  known HIV cases, with another 250,000 undiagnosed.
Or does my arithmatic suck?

Hey, I don't think your arithmatic sucks, but your numbers are from 2003, or 2002.  The latest data I have on my desk is 1.1 million infected, with the unknown figure standing at 350,000.

I also think that regardless of the location of this particular study, we shouldn't insert any "poor or uninsured" assumptions into this mix.  I think that .016 is more than likely a number that will apply to the whole country, especially the red states.  One of the issues that is seldom talked about is the prevelence of sexual activity in the heartland, and many of those participating, travel to the coasts, or overseas on a regular basis, then bring the bug home to roost.  Personally, I feel that any studies that happen now are going to be an eye opener to the CDC to the point that they will surely be trying to gloss over the numbers to hide the indifference that their data has shown over the last 10 years or more. 

I challenge any of you to apply for a Prevention Grant from the CDC, one of the easiest grants to get, and see if they don't require that MOST of the money be spent on MSM.  I would be willing to bet good money that you won't get any grant if it does not conform to their very narrow minded view that HIV is STILL a Gay Centric disease.

Just my take.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline o

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 02:11:43 pm »
Sometimes i just think they will find a vaccination to HIV and nobody else who is vaccinated will stay safe all his-her life.
Than they will forget about the ones who r infected already.
They will let us die by HAART. the longer we live, the more money for medicine companies.

Because of that the number of HIV infected people only gives me a sinfull hope that as the number stays high, they will really look for a cure...

pffff, i am mean and evil, but i want us to live.

Offline angels4kelly

• IT JUST IS!!.....OKAY!
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 05:26:49 pm »
TEST...TEST...TEST!!!

POSITIVE SINCE-10/1990
CD4-610
CD4%-29.3
VL-UNDETECTABLE
VIREAD,VIRACEPT, EPZICOM

MOST RECENT...
10/9/2006
CD4's-714
CD4%-30%
VL-Undetectable
DIAGNOSES POSITIVE 10/90
SAME MEDS, VIREAD, VIRAMUNE, EPZICOM.

SHOOT FOR THE MOON! YOU MAY MISS,
BUT YOU'LL LAND IN THE STARS :)

Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power.

Failure is not in falling down,
but the staying down

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.