Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:21:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773224
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 584
Total: 585

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Hiv Dna Pcr Possitive  (Read 11119 times)

Offline Chaotic07

Hiv Dna Pcr Possitive
« on: November 30, 2010, 06:14:52 pm »
Hello ALL
Im a 30 yrs old male married from Europe.
I had an exposure with a sex worker,protected vaginal as far i can remember and unprotected oral.Reading on the net thar there is a small risk i deside to have a test so i can move on and be sure about it.I choose at 6 weeks the DNA PCR test cause it was claiming high accuraccy and early peace of mind.Results came back by phone and surprise,surprise..POSSITIVE..They told me to go to hospital for confirmation so i can get my Hiv + card so i can start treatment..I lost the world ang thought to jump from the first clif..
At the hospital they perform me ELISA-WESTERN BLOT PLUS A 4TH GEN TEST AB/AG P24..ALL NEGATIVE.They demand to perform it at 3 months from exposure..
HELL..Medication for anxiety,hospitilization for a dau cause i was in panick attack etc etc..
My virologist that i visit he strongly believed that was a false possitive from that exposure.Anyway he gave me a 3rd gen test ELISA at 11 weeks-NEGATIVE.
13 weeks repeat with a 4th gen test at hospital was negative also and they strongly believe that almost certainly was a false possitive result my DNA TEST.
Do u think that any additional test its needed cause i have this anxiety feeling that maybe i m the exception on the rule or im having a strange subtype,strain from the virus that the hospital tests couldnt detect and the DNA-PCR test was right.
Any thoughts?
THANK U ALL
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 06:20:28 pm by Chaotic07 »

Offline RapidRod

Re: Hiv Dna Pcr Possitive
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 07:50:13 pm »
PCR-DNA tests are used by physicians to monitor their patients who have already tested positive for HIV antibodies. Viral Load tests are very costly and have never been approved by the FDA for HIV status diagnosis because of the possibility of false-positive and false-negative results. Therefore, they should not be used to determine if one is HIV-positive.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 11:01:11 pm »
Chaotic,

You are absolutely, conclusively hiv negative, which is no big surprise as you never had a risk for hiv infection in the first place. You do not need further testing.

Getting a blowjob, with or without a condom, is not a risk for hiv infection.

Protected intercourse is just that - protected. Condoms have been proven to prevent hiv infection.

The PCR DNA tests are NOT approved for diagnostic purposes because they  have a high rate of false positive, which you were unlucky enough to find out. A false positive is exactly what you had. You never had a risk, so why should you be poz?

You are conclusively hiv negative over a NO RISK situation and you do NOT need further testing.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Chaotic07

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 02:19:25 am »
Hello all again.Thank u all for answers.As far as I remember the condom worked normal so I m trying to get over it and left behind but right now I need mental help cause my mind and my body are not fuctioning normal after this traumatic experience and its not easy for me to get over it.Please feel free to use my story to all worried people who thinking having this test. Dont do it people! Its so traumatic ! Thank u again!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 07:29:29 am »
Chaotic,

We tell people all the time to not get the DNA PCR tests. Sometimes they listen, sometimes they don't. We've had a few over the years who had false positive results and they all ended up as freaked out as you are. But they weren't hiv positive and neither are you.

Keep using those condoms and you won't be in future either.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Chaotic07

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 09:29:29 am »
Hello all

I m finding myself reliefed from my results but sometime bit worried by my anxiety...(The typical..what if i m an exception to the rule..what if i have a very rare subtype that test couldnt detect..etc etc)
I know that science its above any anxiety and i m not gonna start doubt my results or stating symptoms that i m having and my mind connects them to a late seroconvertion..I know..Its stupid to do that and not helpfull.
I know and really understand that as all of u said i never had a risk and i have to believe people who really know what they re talkin about.
So..What i m doing here with my post,people can start wondering..

Just wanna tell to other people  who are worried about HIV,that this is the worst traumatic experience i ever had on my life..Why?
Cause i didnt get advised by doctors to do that..not even talk to them about testin and my anxiety..
So i took the shortcut..the easy way and  choose this test..Things went so wrong ..so wrong..
I still having nightmares remembering the persons voice from the phone that the result was possitive and there is not a possibility for a wrong diagnosis cause the test is very accurate and i have to go to hospital,confirm my possitive status and get on medication..
I know that this experience will be always on my head and i have to work hard to let it out with a therapist and with myself of course..
So people dont believe all those sites claiming accuracy of this test and early peace of mind..If it happpened to me with a non risk situation..what else u need to hear to believe experts and people who know what they re talkin about when they telling u not having this test.

My scase is real 100% and yes..i came here to tell u all of these things trying to stop u from having this test..
If u dont believe the experts then believe me..a very worried person about HIV who took his own desicion about testing and came close to madness and suicide..

Thanks to all people for their support on my lifes darkest moment.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 12:15:58 pm »
It's very, very unfortunate that acting out of your fears you made a bad choice. The DNA Pcr has a very bad track record with false positives all too common. Well, you learned the hardway about.

Thank goodness you have gotten the other reliable negative results.

Take a big breath and move on.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline Chaotic07

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 02:53:03 am »
Hello All

I m not sure what i m doing or what i m askin...I know..sounds weird,crazy..u name it.
I just know that i m feeling anxius,dipressed and scared.My point is i have been advised by the hospital when i had my 3 months negative results to have a repeat at 6 months.Thats enough for me to give lot of anxiety and medication for it.
Im on my 5th month almost and i dont know what to do...My virologist agreed with the repeat test at 6 months and he said that no test is 100% conclusive.He suport his thought by telling me that a negative test at 3 months is 99.5 accurate,at 6 months 99.8 and over a year 99.999.
What should i do to find out 100% scientifically if i m pos or neg? Ireally need to know 100% cause i m responsible for my partner and i still use condoms.
Should i get an RNA-PCR(viral load) test? Would be enough to prove that i m infected or not?
I m living the absolute confusion..its a nightmare and its never ending.

Thank u so much ,sorry for that but try to understand me.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 06:58:01 am »
They haven't used the 6 month testing since 2004 it's outdated. 3 months post exposure testing is conclusive.

Offline Chaotic07

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 08:13:44 am »
I just dont know what to believe anymore..Hospital wants a 6 months repeat,my virologist claims that no test its 100% conclusive,moderators on the other side they say 3 months..
I dont want to doubt your kwnoledge or something...just dont know what to believe anymore cause as i said i m responsible for my partner and i want 110% to be sure about it before i can have unprotected sex again..
What any of u would do if was on my situation?

p.s. Hospital request from Europe and they test me with 4th gen tests.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 08:24:35 am »
You never had a risk to begin with and didn't need testing. It might be to your advantage to seek professional mental help for your phobias.

Offline Chaotic07

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 08:33:05 am »
Thank u teac

Its not the phobias really that they scare me so much..Its that i cannot find out 100% if my 3 months test result is conclusive..
Believe me if there was a totally accepted policy about the testing period by the hospital,the doctor that i visit, i would leave that behind straight..
But how can i? Nobody can guarrantee a 100% answer..Who can give me a paper that says that i m fine and sign it after the 3 months testing?
I understand the no risk situation u all talkin about but u never know what could be gonne wrong..
I m trying to prove right now that a test that its claiming finding the virus its wrongand the tests that they find antibodies are right..

Not so easy to swallow...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 08:35:23 am »
Whoever is telling you to re-test at 6 months is giving you wrong information. The only situations which require testing out to 6 months are when longtime intravenous drug use is involved or an organ transplant situation or treatment for cancer. Otherwise 3 months is the long accepted standard advocated by the CDC, which is quite conservative in these matters.

You are worrying needlessly. If you can't let go of this unwarranted concern then I suggest you see a therapist or other professional to discuss the situation. There's really nothing more we can do for you in this setting.

I am also going to caution you that if you continue to return here about a situation when you are conclusively negative, you are risking getting a Time Out from the site for at least 28 days.

Again, HIV is not your problem. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline Chaotic07

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 08:45:37 am »
Andy

The reason that i m coming back is this...
Lets put the inciddent of non risk situation out for a moment..
Lets say that i had a high risk situation and i had the same results as i had before..
U still would advise me the same thing about the 3 months period?
Whats wrong with hospitals and they advice for repeat if things are so clear?
And i also read a doctor saying that on DNA PCR possitive results they recomend 6 months repeat..when u have a situation with an HIV POS  person..
Is it true?

Sorry for all the trouble that i give u but try to understand that i need the 100% scientific reasuuranse that i m ok and not gonna put my partner in risk..and so far except all of u people that i respect,nobody on the medical field is giving me.

Thank u

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 09:37:25 am »
We are not responsible for what others in the healthcare field maybe putting out. Unfortunately for those who are looking for help there is certainly a lot of misinformation on the net as well as from medical providers who ought to know better but don't.

We're very careful about what we say when we respond. In your case I don't see any cause for further concern. And I am not going into the kind of speculative about "if you had a high risk" becuase you didn't actually. And you have reliably tested negative. I've mentioned the kinds of situations which would warrant testing out to 6 months.

What I suspect is really at the heart of the matter is that you strayed and you have guilt feelings and anxiety about that. You did what you did. You're HIV negative. Reliably. You need to take a breath, accept what happened as a part of your history, let it go and get on with your life.

There's nothing more for us to do about this in this setting. You really need to move on and cut out this endless handwringing and what if-ing.
Andy Velez

Offline Chaotic07

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 09:59:53 am »
Hello All

I was going good for some time with my story and thought that i was over it..But I didnt after all..
Its just came back when my wife ask me for a baby the soon is possible.I still use condoms.That was enough for me to put me in thoughts again out of fear or something that i could infect her and the baby after reading doctors claiming that if u really wanna be sure u need to have a 6 months test cause there are no guarantees on medicine and testing.
So i took tests again .. Western Blot-,Ag-,Hiv Rna at 5 months.All negative.
It worked fine for a month but thoughts came back mainly because of all these informations plus i m so scared that maybe i m an exception to the rule(all cases have an exception)and i could infect my wife and that maybe the Dna test was right.So i just found the strnght to go to the hospital for another final test at 6 months that i m waiting the results.Hospital had already adviced me for a repeat at 6 months after my 3 months negative result.
Anyway...Im dying on my own,on my thoughts that i destroyed everything but at least if i m an exception to the rule i havent infect my wife.Something that i could never forgive to myself and really would lead me to suicide.
Just try to come to my situation and how scary this situation is all this time..
Different thing to have a possitive result and try to prove the opposite and different when u dont have a possitive one and testing goes just fine from the begin.
 Sorry for my visit again but its so hard this time for me and its like a slow death..

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 10:06:25 am »
Chaotic,

How on earth could you infect your wife with a virus YOU DO NOT HAVE?

We have told you repeatedly that you did NOT have a risk for infection in the first place, and that you had a false positive DNA result - DNA PCR testing is notorious for false positives - and that you have tested absolutely conclusively hiv negative when using the correct diagnostic tests.

If you cannot accept your conclusive negative results, perhaps some counselling is in order. We cannot provide you with that type of support here.

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Chaotic07

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 06:38:04 pm »
Hello All

Its a new day today..I had a second DNA PCR but this time at the research department of molecular biology department at my city's university made by the professor of the department.
Result-NEGATIVE after 2 days.

Few words by the proffesor...

The only accurate and most reliable test for general routine screening is the Antibody test.Period
False possitives on DNA PCR happens on labs because of condamination of the specimen or by the tester machine because the test is extremely sensitive and its really used ONLY for research purpose and only on universities departments where they have fully automated testing equipments and human contact is forbiden.
Clinical labs are not cerified for a test like this and of course not ordered by a patient himself.

I would like to admit that all people here were right about my case as much i was refusing to believe it cause of pure anxiety reasons after my first test .

Thank u so much..!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2011, 08:45:02 am »
OK. And now, get on with your life.

Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.