Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:19:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 328
Total: 329

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Poll

Do I need to be tested ?

test
0 (0%)
test
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Do I need to be tested ?  (Read 18258 times)

Offline bella2

Do I need to be tested ?
« on: March 29, 2007, 01:01:18 pm »
Ok try to make this short .... I tested negative for hiv dec of 2006 ..... since then jan and feb 07 i had sex with 2 people (im female and they were male ) I think condoms were used and they told they were used but im 2nd guessing if they were or not ... they assured me they were and seen them get the condom and the motion of them putting it on but for some reason im questioning if they used it ..... i tested negative for sti's 2 times NEGATIVE .... i did a rapid test march 13/07 63 days after the first guy and 39 days after the 2nd guy that was NEGATIVE  ..... should i be worried and test further ?

Offline RapidRod

Re: Do I need to be tested ?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 01:16:49 pm »
This is nothing to do a POLL about. Testing is required, because you don't remember if they used a condom. It is thirteen weeks after your last unprotected sex.

Offline bella2

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 01:27:14 pm »
Sorry im new here didnt know about the poll thing dont even know how it got there .... its not that i dont remember if they used one i was sober ..... they told me they did i think they did but for some unknown reason im doubting if they did .... maybe its the fear of contracting the disease thats making me 2nd guess ... i tested negative for other infections that makes me feel that they were telling the truth and that its just me being paranoid .... thanks for the reply

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 01:35:53 pm »
bella,

You cannot be shy about making sure a condom is being used. Ask, look, touch - and be certain! I understand you not fully trusting guys on the condom usage - so many of them hate them.

Please have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line. You need to not only make sure your fella is using one, but you also need to make sure it is being used correctly. There are ways of doing this, such as watching as it is put on, or putting it on them yourself. Putting a condom on can be part of your foreplay this way. You really cannot be shy about this stuff!

Another way around the condom problem is to use the female condom. In the left-hand column on either of the condom/lube pages, there are additional links. One of them leads to a page that discusses how to use the female condom. I can highly recommend them. They're easy to use (if you can use a tampon, you can use one of these) but most importantly, they put the control over condom usage into YOUR hands. They can be fiddly at first, but with a little practice they're no problem to insert.

As for testing, you would probably be smart to test at three months past the last incident. And what's more, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Good luck with the testing and hopefully you were dealing with honest men who really did use the condoms. Remember to be more aware in future. You simply CANNOT be shy about this! Look after your health.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline bella2

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 01:45:50 pm »
Thanks ann .... I already tested negative first guy was 63 days and 2nd guy was 39 days .... That's good isnt it
? also i tested negative 2 times for bacterial infections .... they both told me they always use condoms and they are sure they used one with me .... i have a  test scheduled for today which would be 79 days or 11 weeks and 2 days from the first one and 7 weeks and 5 days or 55 days ..... how accurate would those results be ?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 01:49:19 pm »
You need to take one test and that will be for the last unprotected sex that you have had. The test from the first partner doesn't matter since you don't remember if the second person used a condom or not.

Offline bella2

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 01:54:39 pm »
Thanks rapid .... but both guys have assured me they BOTH used condoms .... I seen them getting it the motion of it going on .... and the fact that i didnt have any infection ie... gonnerah or chlymidia or anything like that .... already tested negative 9 weeks after the first guy and 6 weeks after the 2nd guy ... thats a good thing right ?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 02:06:04 pm »
Why are you here? What is your reason for coming here and posting on the "Am I Infected" forum? Either you seen them use a condom or you didn't. Just because someone didn't have another STD doesn't mean that they don't have HIV.

Offline bella2

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 02:10:56 pm »
why are you being so harsh towards me ? im coming here for some comfort .... I didnt see the condom on the penis ... I seen them getting it but did not see it on them .... they told me that they used one but by me not seeing it on the penis makes me wonder ... I mean i took their word for it that it was on ? are u always this harsh to someone that comes here and asks a question or needs some kind of comfort

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 03:10:39 pm »
bella,

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. This means that if you test negative today, your results are unlikely to change but should be confirmed at the three month point.

I can't stress enough how you need to make sure a condom is on the penis before you allow entry. You can't go through this testing over and over thing every time you have sex. Make sure a condom is being used and you will only need your yearly routine sexual health care check up.

I'm fully expecting you to continue testing negative. You don't need to keep on testing nearly every week - one at three months will be sufficient.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline bella2

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 03:38:01 pm »
thank ann .... so this would be my 2nd test since those guys .... first one i was test at 63 days at the 2nd one was at 38 days close to 6 weeks .... it was negative .... do i have a good chance it will stay that way ?

Offline bella2

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 03:49:03 pm »
Sorry i dont mean to be bothersome im getting the test today well at 6pm and just need some ressurance that ill be fine and it wont change will be 11 weeks for first guy and 7 almost 8 weeks for 2nd guy

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 05:04:16 pm »
It's only the uncertainty of your memory that is causing others to suggest you get tested.

The murkiness around this may simply be your anxiety about the issue. There's a simple solution. Get tested at 13 weeks from the most recent uncertain incident. From what you have described I expect you will test negative. But by doing the test at that time you removing any doubts from the situation about whether you were properly protected or not.

And as Ann has suggested, in the future don't leave any room for doubt. If you're intimate enough with someone to be having intercourse, you should be able to check and clearly confirm that he's wearing a latex condom.

Good luck with your tests. My guess is you are going to test negative. 

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline bella2

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 08:20:14 am »
Morning ..... I did the test  :-\ .... im really scared what the outcome will be .... I already tested negative at the 63 day mark for the first guy and 39 day mark for the 2nd guy .... im really scared that the results will change ..... everything else i tested for was negative except syphils i just tested for that yesterday  :-\ .... someone pls shed some light on what kind of a chance i have the result staying negative ? Thank you to everyone that has replied already

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 08:28:45 am »
The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the very smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the HIV virus.

Testing positive after a 6 weeks negative is unlikely. Given your first negative was at 9 weeks and the second one at 5 weeks +, I'd say the odds are in your favor you will continue to test negative.

Fingers crossed for you. Keep us posted.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline bella2

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2007, 08:34:22 am »
Thanks andy .... this test will be 11 weeks and 2 days for the first guy and 55 days for the 2nd guy ... i will be retested for the 2nd guy for sure but do u think .. if it comes out negative (praying it does) it will be conclusive for the 1st guy ? Im really scared .. i dont think i wanna go back for the results .... im worried it will change ..... :-\

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2007, 10:13:11 am »
Bella please don't PM us.  It is strictly forbidden.

You have had your questions answered by others on here.  I 100% concur with their evaluation.  HIV is never something to guess about and "odds of having it" mean nothing in the end.  You either do or you don't and all the worrying and rationalizing and odds making won't change the fact either way.

Test at 13 weeks past your LAST incident.  NOT once for each time.  If you test "for the first guy" before the 13 week window ends on "the second guy" it will NOT be conclusive.  It has to be 13 weeks past your LAST unprotected encounter.  So for you thats 13 weeks past the second guy.  Only then will it be conclusive for BOTH.  GOT IT?
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline bella2

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2007, 12:27:34 pm »
Just a quick question ... would normally a guy lie about using a condom ? I mean wouldnt they want to protect them selves?

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007, 12:34:01 pm »
My magic 8 ball says..... Not Likely.  Youre asking us to speculate on what 2 guys said and did whom we've never met.  How much sense does that make?
RIDE!!!

Offline bella2

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 12:41:44 pm »
that question was just in general not particulary in my case ...... would ars last 1 day ? I had 2 affairs on my husband when were seperated ... 10 days after the first one my husband had like a 24 hr bug .... i myself havent experienced anything except a throat infection and a burning sensation on my arms kinda like a sunburn but thats all i think ?  since then neither of us has felt anything .... but i know symptoms mean nothing ....

Offline bella2

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2007, 12:45:19 pm »
just one other thing neither guy came if that makes a difference

Offline bella2

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2007, 01:15:19 pm »
ok just remember something well 2 things forgot to add .....  :-\ first guy said condom was slipping off and he was holding it to keep it on I do remember that ......2nd guy I was on top and i heard the sound of the condom u know that kind of latex sound that make that swishing type noise ..... sorry but i just thought sinced i remembered i might as well add it ..... what are the chances of me contracting it or is there a need to test further?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 02:12:48 pm »
bella,

If you had protected intercourse, and it sounds like you did, you don't need further testing over these two incidents. Just make sure you carry on with your yearly or twice yearly routine sexual health care check ups. And make certain your man is using a condom in future so you don't put yourself through this torture again.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline bella2

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 02:24:20 pm »
Thank u ann ..... im about to cry really i am .... i have little pimple looking things on my legs which are itchy and i also had a little pink patch like a little circle of dry skin on my calf .... which got me thinking .....

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007, 03:48:24 pm »
No,you aren't thinking.

You're worrying and obsessing which is not thinking at all.

Now that you've added some details which indicate both incidents were protected through condom use, you really weren't at risk at all.

Testing is not necessary unless you are going to continue every single event that happens to your body through a worried mindset. In which case get tested, collect the inevitable negative result and get on with your life.

You are worrying needlessly.
Andy Velez

Offline bella2

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2007, 04:29:25 pm »
Thank you andy ..... I thought i could belive them with the evidence of the condom thing and testing negative for std's and the hiv test .......  I will never ever put myself in any type of situation again ... my life and is too important and that of my husband cuz we did make up and we do have 2 kids together so they are alll my life and wouldnt want anything jeopardizing that ..... only sex with him ...... I will get those results though and post it .... Wish everyone good luck with the testing and STAY SAFE PLEASE  ....

Offline bella2

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2007, 02:40:55 pm »
ok to let everyone know when i did the test last thursday .... march 29 i was tested for everything .... all the bacteria infections are in and NEGATIVE she said that there was some kind of inflammtion of soem sort but nothing to worry about i was on my period at the time so im wondering if this could have resulted in this inflammation ?but she said negative for yeast , bv,trich , gonnerah , chlaymidia ,  ... I am still worried about the blood test though ... even though i already had a negative test it was in the window period and both guys said condoms were used and there is some evidence that they were ... being that the first guy mentioned it was slipping off that he was holding it we stopped i told him to get another one and well we just stopped cuz i had to catch my bus LOL which i missed ... and the 2nd guy i heard some noise kinda like plastic or latex noise he assured me he used it i seen him get it and the motion of him putting it on .... Both guys didnt cum if that makes a difference ...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2007, 02:57:06 pm »
Since apparently both incidents were protected it doesn't matter if the guys ejaculated or not.

If they had not been wearing condoms then ejaculation would have made the incidents riskier.

Seems to me you are just super-anxious about incidents which were protected.

Isn't this all really just about guilt? In which case you have some personal sorting out to do and it really has nothing to do with HIV.
Andy Velez

Offline bella2

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2007, 03:14:26 pm »
Thanks andy .... Im just not sure how to do that ... to be honest with u ... i didnt question the condom use at all until i went to the hospital because i was having pelvic pain one week after the 2nd guy  the er dr said it was probably due to an sti and started me on treatment before even having the results from the swabs which turned out negative .... then alarm goes off about everything else .... what can i do do stop this

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2007, 03:29:23 pm »
Seek out the help of a mental health professional.

Offline bella2

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2007, 03:58:00 pm »
Thanks rapid .. ill try to get help ... but do u or anyone think that by that dr saying that my pelvic pain must be due to an sti and gave me antibiotics for the sti that this anxiety and fear of me having hiv came from that ?

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2007, 04:01:22 pm »
We arent mental health professionals and cannot possibly tell you what caused you to think the way you do.  All we CAN do is tell you the facts as we see them.  Which we have done.

Good luck.
RIDE!!!

Offline bella2

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2007, 04:32:56 pm »
Just one quick thing isnt it a good indicator that protection was used considering i tested negative for all sti's ... and already tested negative for hiv ... is syphlis transmitted through unprotected sex ? i just dont want to be the small percentage that test negative at 5.5 weeks and test positive later  ???

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2007, 04:37:09 pm »
Yes its a good indicator not to mention you saw them with the condoms and they said they put them on.  You really are worrying needlessly.  You wont be in that small %.
RIDE!!!

Offline bella2

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2007, 04:39:54 pm »
Thanks ac so would u suggest i get tested anymore even if this test comes out negative ? i should get those results back next thursday which i will post here ... is syphilis transmitted through unprotected sex .. just wondering cuz thats the one thing i dont know if i have ...

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2007, 04:51:29 pm »
Syphillis is transmitted through unprotected sex both orally and vaginally/anally.  Also it has a 3 month testing window, meaning you must wait 3 months to test for it.

You should test at least once a year for all STD's if you are sexually active.  For these incidents I would say if it comes out negative at 5.5 weeks you should be in the clear because we are almost certain they were wearing condoms.
RIDE!!!

Offline bella2

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2007, 02:31:27 pm »
Ok guys just updating everyone ... i was tested for everything on march 29/07 tested negative for bacterial infections trich + chalmydia etc ... just got the results back for syphillis NEGATIVE as well ... hiv not back yet its been 2 weeks worried as hell I know u guys said their is no need to worry but i am ... comforting words is needed as i wait for the results .... THAnks

Offline bella2

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2007, 03:52:57 pm »
i called the clinic back and they have nothing back yet ... so worried right now ... pls anyone some kind words would really help

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2007, 04:28:11 pm »
Do not infer anything by how long it takes to get your results.  I am positive and I got my results back in less than 48 hours.  I had a negative test earlier that took over 2 weeks.  It has to do with how busy the lab that is processing the bloodwork is, not your specimen.
RIDE!!!

Offline bella2

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2007, 12:19:28 pm »
guys... im anxiously waiting for the results which should be in today ... they wont give the results over the phone so i have to go into get them ...they close at 5 so i have leave work early or else im going to have a horrible weekend not knowing of what they are ... evrything else was negative which i guess is good ... body has this burning sensation and itchiness all over might be due to stress and the fear of having it ... today is friday the 13th which makes getting the results today bad luck day ... anyhoo will see if i can get them over the phone be back with them of course

Offline bella2

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2007, 04:09:07 pm »
got the results guys NEGATIVE .... soooo happy gonna have a good weekend .... thanks to everyone out there who helped me and others get through this terrible time .....11.2 weeks first guy and 55 days or 8 weeks 2nd guy its negative im putting this behind me ....

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2007, 04:32:19 pm »
Good.

I hope to never see you here again, for all the right reasons.
RIDE!!!

Offline bella2

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2007, 02:42:45 pm »
ok im back ... and freaked out .. i have a low white blood count .... does that mean infection ? my stomach feels upset and i feel cold ... tested negative at 2 months with what i thought was protected sex but as i was reading here some guys lie about using protection  ....

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2007, 03:38:52 pm »
It does not mean HIV infection no.  Could it be something else?  Possible.  Keep working with your Dr. to find out for sure.
RIDE!!!

Offline bella2

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2007, 03:40:19 pm »
I thought a high wbc indicates infection ? do you really think im ok and im over reacting ? 

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2007, 03:41:38 pm »
It does NOT indicate HIV infection in any way shape or form.  I think you ARE over reacting.
RIDE!!!

Offline bella2

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2007, 03:43:24 pm »
a negative test at 6 weeks and 2 months or 55 days its good isnt it ... sorry im so worried

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2007, 03:44:16 pm »
In your case.  Yes.
RIDE!!!

Offline bella2

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2007, 03:45:17 pm »
should i test anymore ?

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2007, 03:49:09 pm »
Not unless you have truly unprotected sex.
RIDE!!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.