Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:56:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 335
Total: 336

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What is 'Stribild' exactly?  (Read 24330 times)

Offline InquisitHIV

• Laughter is the best medicine.
What is 'Stribild' exactly?
« on: January 24, 2014, 07:43:55 am »
What is ‘Stribild’ exactly?

Hello to all fellow Stribild Swallowers and all other contributors. Glad to be a new member of the forum.

I was diagnosed 6 months ago. I’ve been taking Stribild for 3 months, loads of side effects, but generally tolerable, mostly tiredness, dry skin, headaches, sleep deprivation, dizziness, diarrhea, impaired eyesight and coughing up phlegm (clear mucus with tiny white bubbles). I’m hoping these side effects will gradually fade away.

I understand that the four main ingredients of Stribild are Elvitegravir, Cobicistat, Emtricitabine and Tenofovir DF. I completely understand why these four important ingredients are present. That information is widely available.

Can anyone explain in simple terms, the purpose and/or amounts of the other ingredients?

The hard to swallow tablets also include the following apparently inactive ingredients: lactose monohydrate, microcrystalline cellulose, silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, hydroxypropyl cellulose, sodium lauryl sulfate, and magnesium stearate.

The tablets are film-coated with a coating material containing indigo carmine (FD&C Blue #2) aluminum lake, polyethylene glycol, polyvinyl alcohol, talc, titanium dioxide, and yellow iron oxide.

That’s 14 more ingredients. Can anyone explain in simple terms the exact purpose of each of all the other ingredients as used in Stribild. What is the main purpose/s of the film coating material?

As far as I understand these additional ingredients are used in a wide range of pharmaceutical and non-pharmaceutical products and used for many different purposes etc.

The Greenish grey, capsule-shaped, film-coated tablet of dimensions 20 mm x 10 mm, are debossed on one side with “GSI” and the number “1” surrounded by a square box, on the other side.

Does anyone know the meaning in simple terms, of what the imprinted info refers too? What does ‘GSI’ mean? What does the number ‘1’ mean? Also what is the official color of this medication? How would you accurately describe the color of the Stribild tablets?

Please do not suggest that I ask my doctor! I strongly suspect most folk who have posted questions on this forum, feel that their doctors are not capable of a simple explanation. Not all doctors are good doctors!

I personally believe that independent, clear, accurate, simple and transparent information is vital to those living with HIV.

Thank you kindly in advance, if you are able to shed some light on these matters. Please be aware that I currently live in an isolated area where internet access is limited, therefore I’m unable to reply regularly to comments or respond to messages etc

Yours thankfully, InquisitHIV (a.k.a. Willie)

A man with more than one thing on his mind.

The future belongs to the curious. The ones who are not afraid to try it.
Explore it. Poke at it. Question it. And turn it inside out.

Offline aaware72

Re: What is 'Stribild' exactly?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 06:55:30 pm »
"Yes, knowledge is power. Self-knowledge brings mastery of one's body."

Offline marcmoral16

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 11:11:08 pm »
This is the medicine I'm currently on. Although I'm no doctor I'll try to help.

The MEDS has all those for various reason, one I think to keep them together and to help keep it preserved.

GSI stand score Gilead Sciences, Inc

As for as the number 1 I could only assume that it means once a day or one tablet for all.

Someone will chime in with better answers I'm sure.
Tested Positive Jan 16 2013
CD4 119 6% VL 23980
Started Complera Feb 2013
March CD4 199 9% VL 1000
May CD4 255 12% VL 334
June CD4 284 15% VL 172
Switched to Stribild middle June 2013
July CD4 325 22% VL 51
October CD4 341 23% VL UD!!
Jan 2014 CD4 343 20% VL <20
July 2014 CD4 450 26% VL <20
December 2014 491 26% still UD!

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 12:56:53 pm »
Most any orally administered medication, regardless of whether or not it's HIV related, have to pass through the thick soup of stomach gastric enzymes before reaching the small intestines where they are absorbed into the blood stream. I would assume all of these other "inactive" ingredients you list are related to this.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 01:44:38 pm »

I was diagnosed 6 months ago. I’ve been taking Stribild for 3 months, loads of side effects, but generally tolerable, mostly tiredness, dry skin, headaches, sleep deprivation, dizziness, diarrhea, impaired eyesight and coughing up phlegm (clear mucus with tiny white bubbles). I’m hoping these side effects will gradually fade away.

Please do not suggest that I ask my doctor!

OK i won't suggest you see your doctor about the ingredients in your medicine.
I am just wondering if, 3 months into therapy, you seem to be having more side effects than necessary. You seem to be attributing all this to HIV medicine but I would wonder if you can't get relief from some of these things now.  And attribute some of them to something other than HIV medicine.

But caveat - yes I don't know how long you were HIV+, how long untreated, and what the condition of your immune system was at treatment....

By the way, welcome to the forum.

I don't see how the cough problem is related to HAART.
I think you can pursue diagnosis and treatment for diarrhoea and for sleep deprivation and you should seek that soon.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline InquisitHIV

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 04:02:52 pm »
To aaware72

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
The website you provided is very informative and helpful.

InquisitHIV

Offline InquisitHIV

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 04:05:52 pm »
To marcmoral16

Thanks for the reply, appreciate your help. Yes, it seems some of the inactive ingredients help in keeping the tablet together and some preserve it, I’m keen to know exactly which ingredients do that!

GSI stands for Gilead Sciences Inc,,, that makes sense. And I think you may be right as in the number 1 on other side of tablet. Must mean 1 tablet per day!

Yes, I was hoping someone else would chip in with better answers, looking at the numbers of people who viewed this post, it does seem there are others interested.

InquisitHIV

Offline InquisitHIV

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 04:08:34 pm »
To Miss Philicia

Thank you kindly for the reply, interesting stuff.

So the tablet travels intact all the way to the small intestines where it is then slowly absorbed into the blood stream.

If it did not contain these inactive protecting ingredients and was absorbed in the thick soup of stomach gastric enzymes it would not reach the blood stream, thus not an effective medicine.

I wonder how ineffective the tablet would be, if it was not coated with a protective coating and/or other ingredients etc?

InquisitHIV

Offline InquisitHIV

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 04:12:01 pm »
To mecch

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum.

Thanks, for not suggesting I see my doctor about the ingredients in my medicine! I don’t like to be referred to my doctor by anyone, except myself.

Yes, I did seem to have more side effects than most folks. However, now gradually beginning to hopefully overcome these obstacles/inconveniences.
I’m enjoying the challenges of my own personal revolution on Stribild.

I had no intention at all, of attributing all these side effects directly to HIV medicine. But I must admit it may have seemed that way to some folk.

You seem to have implied that side effects on HIV medication are necessary! And that I had more than necessary. I do not agree that side effects are necessary. I also would not say they are unnecessary. I would suggest side effects are a possibility on HIV medicine.

The side effects could in fact have been related to a number of issues, including change of diet, new exercise regime, swimming in dangerous polluted waters, change of climate, extreme weather conditions, alcohol and recreational drug use, etc.

My general health and side effects are improving, after 4 months of treatment. My main problem at the moment is very dry facial skin, but this may not be a direct side effect of the HIV medication, it may be a symptom of using abrasive soap or exposure to extreme weather conditions or diet changes, and most probably a result of not drinking enough water, but lots of beer instead!

InquisitHIV

Offline InquisitHIV

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 04:23:14 pm »
I decided to do some very basic internet research, and to my surprise I think I may have found some answers to my questions.

I hope this basic information may help others who are interested in knowing and understanding exactly what they are consuming.

I hope this info can be used as a foundation to build a better understanding of what makes a Stribild tablet complete.

Here is a basic description of the 14 other (inactive ingredients) contained within Stribild. With more Questions!

1) LACTOSE  MONOHYDRATE 

Lactose is milk sugar. In the pharmaceutical industry, lactose is used to help form tablets because it has excellent compressability properties.

People who are lactose intolerant do not have the enzymes needed to digest lactose.

Most medication do not contain enough lactose to cause lactose intolerance. But some patients with severe lactose intolerance may experience symptoms.
Lactose can be used to treat stomach acid or gas.

Apparently, patients who are specifically "allergic" to lactose (not just lactose intolerant) should not use tablets containing lactose, or ask their health care provider prior to use.

Can anyone confirm the amount of Lactose Monohydrate in each Stribild tablet?

If anyone would like to add to this info, please feel free to do so.

2) MICROCRYSTALLINE  CELLULOSE

Microcrystalline cellulose is refined wood pulp. It is a white, free-flowing powder. Chemically, it is an inert substance, is not degraded during digestion and has no appreciable absorption. In large quantities it provides dietary bulk and may lead to a laxative effect.

Microcrystalline cellulose is a commonly used excipient in the pharmaceutical industry. It has excellent compressibility properties and is used in solid dose forms, such as tablets.

Tablets can be formed that are hard, but dissolve quickly.

Can anyone confirm the amount of Microcrystalline Glucose in each Stribild tablet?

Can anyone confirm how long a Stribild tablet takes to dissolve once swallowed?

Can anyone describe the journey thru the body (from beginning to end) of the Stribild tablet once swallowed?

3) SILICON  DIOXIDE 

Silicon dioxide or silica, is known in nature as sand or quartz. It occurs naturally in the earth’s crust, and silicates are present in water, animals and plants. Silicates are also consumed as part of the natural human diet.

In the pharmaceutical industry, silicon dioxide (also known as colloidal silicon dioxide) has many uses in tablet-making, including as an anti-caking agent, adsorbent, disintegrant, or glidant to allow powder to flow freely when tablets are processed. These compounds appear to be biologically inert.

Can anyone confirm the amount of Silicon Dioxide in each Stribild tablet?

4) CROSCARMELLOSE  SODIUM 

Croscarmellose sodium, or sodium CMC, is a cross-linked polymer of carboxymethylcellulose sodium.

It appears as white, fibrous, free-flowing powder, and is used commonly as a disintegrant in pharmaceutical manufacturing.
Disintegrants facilitate the breakup of a tablet in the intestinal tract after oral administration. Cross-linking allows enhanced bioavailability of the drug through superior drug dissolution.

Without a disintegrant, tablets may not dissolve appropriately and may affect the amount of active ingredient absorbed, thereby decreasing effectiveness.

Can anyone confirm how long a Stribild tablet takes to reach the intestinal tract after oral administration?

Or how long it takes until complete disintegration occurs?

What happens after disintegration?

Can anyone confirm the amount of Croscarmellose Sodium in each Stribild tablet?

5) HYDROXPROPYL CELLULOSE 

Hydroxypropyl cellulose, also commonly known as hydroxypropyl methycellulose. (HPMC) or hypromellose is a coating agent and film-former used as an inactive ingredient in the pharmaceutical industry.

It has also been used as a rate-controlling polymer for sustained-release dose forms.

As a powder, hypromellose is off-white to beige and may be in granules. Hypromellose is considered an inert ingredient.
It has a high viscosity and is often used in ophthalmic preparations as artificial tears for dry eyes. In the US, it is available over-the-counter (OTC).

Can anyone confirm the amount of Hydroxpropyl Cellulose in each Stribild tablet?

6) SODIUM  LAURYL  SULFATE 

Sodium lauryl sulfate is a surface-active agent used in cleaning and cosmetic products. It is also known by the term sodium dodecyl sulfate.

It is used in industrial strength degreasers, floor cleaners, bubble bath and toothpastes. In the pharmaceutical industry, it has been used as an excipient in dissolvable dosage forms.

Sodium lauryl sulfate has not been shown to be carcinogenic (cancer-causing) when either applied directly to the skin or consumed.

Can anyone confirm the amount of Sodium lauryl sulfate in each Stribild tablet?

7) MAGNESIUM  STEARATE

Magnesium stearate or octadecanoic acid is a solid, white powder at room temperature. It is an approved inactive ingredient commonly used in the pharmaceutical industry as a diluent for the manufacture of tablet, capsule, and powder dosage forms.

Magnesium stearate is generally recognized as safe. Magnesium stearate exists as a salt form and is useful for it's lubricating properties for capsules and tablets in industry. It is used to help prevent pharmaceutical ingredients from adhering to industry equipment. Magnesium stearate may be derived from both plant and animal sources.

Can anyone confirm the amount of Magnesium stearate in each Stribild tablet?

8) INDIGO CARMINE (FD & C BLUE #2)

Indigo Carmine, or FD&C Blue #2 is primarily used as a pH indicator. It has the E number E132.

Can anyone confirm if Indigo Carmine is used as a pH indicator and/or a colorant in Stribild?

9) ALUMINUM LAKE 

Aluminum Lake (also known as FD & C YELLOW #6) is a color additive used for drug dosage forms such as tablets and capsules. It may have the E number E110 (?)

Can anyone confirm if Aluminum Lake is used as a color additive in Stribild?

Can anyone confirm the E number of the Aluminum Lake used in Stribild?

10) POLYETHYLENE GLYCOL

Polyethylene Glycol, referred to as PEG, is used as an inactive ingredient in the pharmaceutical industry as a solvent, plasticizer, surfactant, ointments, and suppository base, tablet and capsule lubricant.

Polyethylene Glycol is also used as a laxative. 

‘Polyethylene Glycol 6000’ is a method for the coating of medicinal tablets.

Can anyone confirm if the Polyethylene Glycol used in Stribild, is in fact Polyethylene Glycol 6000?

Can anyone confirm the reasons for use in Stribild?

11) POLYVINYL ALCOHOL

Polyvinyl Alcohol protects the active ingredients from moisture, oxygen and other environmental components, while simultaneously masking their taste and odor.

It allows for easy handling of finished product and facilitates ingestion and swallowing

Polyvinyl Alcohol is used to preserve the integrity of the moisture sensitive constituents.

Polyvinyl Alcohol also known as PVA glue is used as a bond in wood, paper, cloth and in porous material. It is the most commonly used wood glue.

My basic research of Polyvinyl Alcohol for now, satisfies my desire for knowledge regarding its use in Striblid!

However, if anyone would like to add to this info, please feel free to do so.

12) TALC

Because of Pharmaceutical Talc’s crystalline platy structure and softness, talc is used as a lubricant or glidant in the manufacturing of pharmaceutical tablets.
It is also commonly used as an in ingredient in enteric (time release) tablet coating formulations.

My basic research of Talc for now, satisfies my desire for knowledge regarding its use in Striblid!

However, if anyone would like to add to this info, please feel free to do so.

13) TITANIUM DIOXIDE

Titanium Dioxide has a wide range of applications.

It is commonly used as pigment for pharmaceutical products such as gelatin capsules, tablet coatings and syrups. When used as a food coloring, it has E number E171.

In the pharmaceutical industry, Titanium Dioxide is mostly used in sunscreens to block UVA and UVB rays.

Can anyone confirm if Titanium Dioxide is used as a pigment/color additive in Stribild?

As Titanium Oxide is widely used, can anyone confirm any other reasons why titanium dioxide is an ingredient in the coating of Stribild?

14) YELLOW IRON OXIDE

Yellow Iron Oxide (also known as Ferric Oxide Yellow) has a wide range of applications.

Yellow Iron Oxide is an inorganic yellow pigment used in the pharmaceutical industry as a coating pigment. It exists as an amorphous yellow powder.

Can anyone confirm if Yellow Iron Oxide is used as a pigment/color additive in Stribild?

Offline InquisitHIV

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 05:14:01 pm »
One Stribild tablet per day per person!  Is this suitable for children also?

The average American white male weighs 80 kg (176 pounds). If somebody weighs in at a tiny 40kg (88 pounds) or a big person (160kg 353 pounds) should they still only take one Stribild tablet per day?

Is it in any way dangerous for the small 40kg person to swallow a whole tablet every day?

Is it recommended that the large 160kg person, only consume one tablet per day or two?

Please do not advise me to consult my doctor!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 05:27:21 pm »
There is no need to start multiple threads on the same subject so until all your questions about stribilid are answered please keep them all in one thread . Thanks .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 06:18:46 pm »
One Stribild tablet per day per person!  Is this suitable for children also?

The average American white male weighs 80 kg (176 pounds). If somebody weighs in at a tiny 40kg (88 pounds) or a big person (160kg 353 pounds) should they still only take one Stribild tablet per day?

Is it in any way dangerous for the small 40kg person to swallow a whole tablet every day?

Is it recommended that the large 160kg person, only consume one tablet per day or two?

Please do not advise me to consult my doctor!

Why is it wrong to advise you to consult your doctor about dosing?? 
What you are wondering about - many ask the same questions - it is about one size fits all dosing. 
Unfortunately, the only safe way to figure out if a different dose might be possible for a person, is through "therapeutic drug monitoring."  There are threads in this forum on that.

So if you can pay for drug monitoring, and get a doctor to go along with it, then that is the only solution. SO, a doctor would have to be closely involved. 

You can't just wing it based on what seems like simple logic about weight, etc.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Irish Eyes

• Standard
  • A closed mind is a beautiful thing to lose
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 07:01:26 pm »
Not to b rude, but I think you're being a little too inquisithiv, InquisitHIV.
Adhere to your regime, suck the buggers down and get on
10/30/13          Exposure
Mid-Nov-Jan    Seroconversion (7-8 rough wks)
12.26.2013      WB dx. HIV+
02.01.2014      OraQuick (result Negative?)
01.31.2014      VL 250700
02.03.2014      CD4  491  26%
02.26.2014      CD4  503  26%
03.05.2014      HLA B6701  not present
03.18.2014      VL 530873 (typical fluctuation)
03.21.2014      Start Stribild
04.14.2014      VL 104 after 24 doses
05.12.2014      VL 129 after 52 doses
06.10.2014      CD4 940 32%
06.11.2014      VL 87
07.22.2014      VL 20
09.23.2014      VL 43
11.26.2014      CD4 1350 33%
01.26.2015.     VL 27
01.26.2015      VL <20
06/03/2015      VL 28
06/03/2015      CD4 1135 42%
12/10/2015      VL 27
12/10/2015      CD4 1111 36% cd8+tcell 1058 34%
06/23/2016      VL 49
06/23/2016      CD4 1255 41% cd8+tcell 882 29%

Offline AusShep

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 09:21:48 pm »
My general health and side effects are improving, after 4 months of treatment. My main problem at the moment is very dry facial skin, but this may not be a direct side effect of the HIV medication, it may be a symptom of using abrasive soap or exposure to extreme weather conditions or diet changes, and most probably a result of not drinking enough water, but lots of beer instead!

InquisitHIV

Seborrheic dermatitis is treatable/fixable for the most part if that's what you have.  It's fairly common with HIV.
https://www.clinicalkey.com/topics/dermatology/seborrheic-dermatitis.html

If you don't want to go to your doctor for a diagnosis and Rx, you can google OTC treatments if it's too bothersome.

Offline InquisitHIV

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 12:42:39 pm »
As a world citizen, it would be interesting to know ALL the countries in the world where Stibild can currently be obtained?

At this stage I can only confirm that I know it is available in U.S.A., Canada, U.K. and Ireland.

I think it may be available in many other countries too. Can anyone confirm this?

I wonder in particular about Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Malaysia, China, Japan and European countries?

So, how many countries are there in the world? 193 by the count of the United Nations.

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 02:57:59 pm »
Me, I 'd like that real pricing be published
Latest I have: $50.000/year !
Mobile.eric
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 04:31:52 pm »
There is no need to start multiple threads on the same subject so until all your questions about stribilid are answered please keep them all in one thread . Thanks .

Do not post outside of this thread about stribilid again .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 05:50:28 am »
So the tablet travels intact all the way to the small intestines where it is then slowly absorbed into the blood stream.

First, this is incorrect.

Most drugs will be transferred to the blood in the stomach.

One example is Aspirin. It is absorbed at Stomach level, which is why some people have discomfort with aspirin in their stomach. It also acts fast

Most (if not all...) ARV will start being absorbed in the stomach. Some of them, such as RAL, will not be absorbed further on , hence the high between-patients variability in RAL users

The long list of Stribild QSP reflects the manufacturer willingness to get advantages from all the know how in drug design. This is over engineered... This is a good practice in a context where Quality By Design is getting more and more popular in the Pharma industry.

In other words, if you over-engineer, your chances that your drug will work fine on all aspects others than the molecule efficacy itself are maximized.

This increases the Cost of manufacturing but reduces the Time to FDA approval, hence time-to-market

This is actually what happened to $tribuild !

A slightly higher manufacturing cost, which is no excuse for the outrageous price
and an unprecedented time-to-'preferred'

Which answers the original question : What is 'Stribild' exactly?

My opinion, which I can substantiate, is that $tribuild is a wonderful product designed to optimize the manufacturer's revenues. (and certainly not designed to make Integrase Inihibitors available to the masses)

What worries me a bit is that drug design optimization , which is not immoral, might have expended into the field of clinical trial optimization, which, could lead to clinical trial bias or even fraud, which would be immoral.
Note: as of date, and since the clinical trial RAW data have not been made public, there is no way I could  substantiate any fraud or 'optimization'. There is no way to rule is out, either. I am not implying that GSI 'twicked' the clinical trials, but, I am getting highly suspicious that the FDA anti-fraud rules have been very well scrutinized by  some manufacturers. So my problem with the clinical trials opening the way for the marketing of $tribuild does not lie in the manufacturer's ethics, but,  that anti-fraud rules dictated by the FDA might be obsolete

Hope this helps

Eric
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 05:57:18 am by eric48 »
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline buginme2

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 02:00:31 pm »
Why do you have such a hard on for Stribild?   It sounds like your searching and searching for something, anything, wrong with this med do you can declare it as flawed.  Then declare your support for some Chinese flower that cures teh aids?

Just curious what the point of all these countless threads are for.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Dan0

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 02:18:16 pm »

Please do not suggest that I ask my doctor! I strongly suspect most folk who have posted questions on this forum, feel that their doctors are not capable of a simple explanation. Not all doctors are good doctors!

I personally believe that independent, clear, accurate, simple and transparent information is vital to those living with HIV.

Yours thankfully, InquisitHIV (a.k.a. Willie)

Whether it was Atripla or the Stribild that I'm on now, I never really concentrated on the nuances of the pills I take.  They just "are".  The clear, simple and transparent information that is best served is "why" the pills work - what they are doing to contain the virus and how you can treat and improve your body, diet and metal health to assure the best relationship between your body and the ability of the pills to work. 

I would much rather educate myself on the virus than figure out what you would call that paricular shade of green that Stribild is. Not that the information isn't interesting - I just think that there are other much more valuable and interesting channels to apply curiosity when it comes to HIV and medication.   
"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
10/2013 Stribild Still UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline zach

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 05:10:47 pm »
STRIBILD combines 4 medicines in 1 pill

These medicines are elvitegravir, cobicistat, emtricitabine, and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate.

STRIBILD is for people who:
Have never taken HIV-1 medicines before

Are 18 years old or older (it is not known if STRIBILD is safe and effective in people younger than 18 years)

STRIBILD can cause serious side effects:

Build-up of an acid in your blood (lactic acidosis)
Serious liver problems
Worsening of hepatitis B (HBV) infection

For me, that means I can't take Stribild, I am not treatment naive. For someone seeking treatment for the first time, note that it does not contain Sustiva. IMO that is a good thing.

Offline Dan0

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2014, 05:16:43 pm »

For me, that means I can't take Stribild, I am not treatment naive. For someone seeking treatment for the first time, note that it does not contain Sustiva. IMO that is a good thing.

I wouldn't necessarily rule that out as a possibility.  I switched from Atripla after years of use to Stribild with no issues and have not felt as good in years. Two of my friends also were switched over after being on other mediations for more than a couple years. I think that "treatment naive" absolute is not so absolute anymore.  In fact, I specifically asked my ID about this the last appointment and his response was essentially that this was how the product was introduced but there has been a 'learning curve'.  Well, if I were a Guinea Pig, then I'm a happy one!
"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline zach

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2014, 05:40:41 pm »
Thanks for that DanO, I have no real preference about which meds i get, beyond not wanting Sustiva. But that's out of ignorance, I look at the poster on the doctors wall of all the different options, I don't know why one would be better or worse than the other. I hope I can always rely on a doctor for guidance in this. Oh, that one looks pretty, can I get that? Seems like a poor criteria. Throwing darts might work.

Offline Dan0

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2014, 05:48:40 pm »
Sometimes its blind faith in the guy with the white coat.  I knew nothing of Stribild, Complera or any other medication aside from the desire to be off Atripla - which was the only med I had ever been on.  He looked at the side effects I experienced with the one, wrote me a script for the other and scheduled me back in a month.  I have nothing to compare this to other THAN Atripla, but for me, there were only some moderately annoying side effects in the beginning and now nothing! I may be saying the same thing if he had written the script for Complera or something else but the difference between what I was on and this 'oddly colored green pill' is like night and day.

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline marsss7080

• Believe In Moving Forward With Your Goals In Life
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2014, 02:10:02 pm »
Hi everybody,
Spring is on the way soon. I hope :)
One Big question for me. I have been on Stribild since June of 2013. I am now having bad Insomnia for 2 months.
I am now taking at night my statin,1/25mg Xanax and 2/50mg OTC CVS sleeping pills/sleeping aid. I am thinking of changing this to taking my Stribild at night with a snack in hopes that I can fall asleep before the med hits my blood stream.
I am though calling the doctor today and asking for a prescription for lunesta or ambian.
ANY thoughts on the switching from morning to night with Stribild?
As usual all of you are great for a logical and honest answer.
Bill :)
Enjoy Today,
Persue Tomorrow,
Cherish Yesterday

Offline Dan0

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2014, 03:06:11 pm »
I'm not certain if a lack of an effect is a side effect but I have not noticed this causing insomnia or lethargy when I take it before bed. There is no net effect on my sleep pattern at all and I wake up with no issues remaining from the nightly dose. The main issue I have is the snack thing! I'm not a big eater and forcing down a sandwich, avocado or (gag) a swig of fatty oil is a bit of a change in my habits.

When I took them in the morning, yes, you could tell that something was at work in your system.

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline Reggie

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2014, 12:06:59 am »
Hello,

Have been on atripla for 4 months and numbers great but can't get enough sleep and dreams very vivid. Wondering anybodies thoughts on changing to stribild? Won't rush it but as this is a lifetime regime good sleep would help!
Thanks for any comments, opinions.

Reggie

Offline xinyuan

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2014, 02:42:46 pm »
Hello,

Have been on atripla for 4 months and numbers great but can't get enough sleep and dreams very vivid. Wondering anybodies thoughts on changing to stribild? Won't rush it but as this is a lifetime regime good sleep would help!

Reggie

Fresh from CROI 2014. Not exactly sure of the study design for STRATEGY. Would have to take a closer look.

At the very least, I can say switching was non-inferior. If the researchers designed the study properly for non-inferiority.

http://www.thebodypro.com/content/74124/switching-to-stribild-from-non-nuke-or-protease-in.html

As for vivid dreams and sleep quality, I can't comment.

I haven't been on Atripla myself. However, I'm sure that someone who has made the switch will chime in.

Offline xinyuan

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2014, 03:03:16 pm »
Also, for the OP: 

Do you pay this much attention every single pre-packaged food and drink item ingested? Or foods that you get at each and every restaurant?

What purpose do you have for knowing every single aspect of the drug?

And for insisting that you don't want to be referred back to actual experts / medical practitioners?

I usually like helping others learn about their diagnosis and treatment options.

However, readers can't but stop to question your motives.

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2014, 03:57:58 pm »
What purpose do you have for knowing every single aspect of the drug?

With all due respect, there is nothing wrong in asking questions... or learning  every single aspect of the drug

I try to do that with my combo... I got lots of pills buddy (from all over the world) and made good friend with our local pharmacist, who called me the other day to ask ME (go figure...) about recently available versions (XR and Generic) since one patient asked some questions about dosing schedule ...

Concerning the Atripla CNS effects, I would like to hear from the scientifically inclined or the users, but, on top of my mind a good number of poster have seen that disappear with time.
4 months might be too short to be final on that...
Please kindly not forget that not everyone has access to S. But... let's not derail

This is a thread on  What is 'Stribild' exactly? (and not on Atripla) and I love it because  'Stribild' might be the first ever ARV that was intentionally  'invented' using the full strength of sophisticated software/knowledge (and not 'selected' among 'candidates' or 'leads'). In that respect S. might be one of the most amazing endeavor of modern chemistry...

For the scientifically inclined , this is amazing.
For the business development inclined, GSI strategy is faultless
For patients it brings an all new perspective

Eric

Offline Reggie

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2014, 10:26:35 pm »
Hello,

Reggie
Thanks for the reply

Offline Reggie

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2014, 10:43:27 pm »
Sometimes its blind faith in the guy with the white coat.  I knew nothing of Stribild, Complera or any other medication aside from the desire to be off Atripla - which was the only med I had ever been on.  He looked at the side effects I experienced with the one, wrote me a script for the other and scheduled me back in a month.  I have nothing to compare this to other THAN Atripla, but for me, there were only some moderately annoying side effects in the beginning and now nothing! I may be saying the same thing if he had written the script for Complera or something else but the difference between what I was on and this 'oddly colored green pill' is like night and day.
Hello I am presently on my 1st regime atripla but the lack of sleep really bothersome. Also thinking of a switch in future to stribild. Like to hear more of your experience , how long you took atripla for etc. Z
Thanks
Reggie

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2014, 04:49:31 am »
Like to hear more of your experience

My experience is : if you want to grab attention from other users with same issues as yourself, you might fare better by starting an all new thread... . Sleep issues on Atripla is not uncommon, so you should be able to collect  more of members experience

Your question deserves attention, and, as of today it is buried within this long thread that is only partly related.

Other posters may want to guide you into ways of posting your question in such fashion that you will receive more feedback and the answers you deserve

my 2 cents  Eric

Offline Reggie

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2014, 09:06:10 am »
Thanks Eric for   Your feedback, new here posting so just figuring it out!
Reggie

Offline InquisitHIV

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2014, 03:07:40 pm »
Thank you to the few who posted helpful info on this thread regarding 'What is STRIBILD?'. I must admit I'm confused and somewhat disappointed in the many who posted unrelated information or questioned my desire for knowledge. I did have many more interesting questions to ask about Stribild, but it appears they will only get lost or not be taken seriously on this now rambling and disorderly thread. Apparently, I'm not allowed to start a new thread regarding other aspects of Stribild? I have been warned!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2014, 04:21:41 pm »
Thank you to the few who posted helpful info on this thread regarding 'What is STRIBILD?'. I must admit I'm confused and somewhat disappointed in the many who posted unrelated information or questioned my desire for knowledge. I did have many more interesting questions to ask about Stribild, but it appears they will only get lost or not be taken seriously on this now rambling and disorderly thread. Apparently, I'm not allowed to start a new thread regarding other aspects of Stribild? I have been warned!

That is correct . This is your very own stribild thread .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline InquisitHIV

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2014, 04:22:08 pm »
My doctor did not inform me of this,,, anyways you don’t need to be a specialist to work out that you should avoid taking ‘Stribild’ with antacids, including natural food antacids such as bananas or milk. Absorption of Stribild is affected by antacids.

So if you enjoy a banana milkshake, don’t have one 4hrs before or after taking Stribild!

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2014, 10:55:01 pm »
My doctor did not inform me of this
here's a good place for me to interject something I frequently say - and this isn't so much to you Inquisit; but as an educational point for the less knowledgeable. ;)

1) "Package Insert" - this is supposed to come with every bottle of pills, or you can google up the med name and "package insert". Usually I point out how this document shows how few people have side effects; but this document also describes any and all drug interactions and precautions.

2) AidsMeds Drug List
http://www.aidsmeds.com/list.shtml
pick your drug and learn ALL about it

here's another reason to make sure you understand your medications. My insurance recently changed formularies and is no longer covering a medication that I take. My doctor sent in a prescription for a different medication. When I received it, I did my due diligence. Clearly I won't be taking this med! The first warning is to NOT take this med if I have an aspirin allergy. Well EVERY doctor visit for the last 5 yrs, I have had to verify my allergy to penicillin, aspirin and horses. While I know that horses might not register with the doc during the writing of a new prescription, you would think the aspirin allergy would have stood out like a sore thumb. But quite frankly, as any LTS will tell you, the medical establishment is quite fallible and if YOU don't stay on top of your health care and meds, you might end up quite sick or dead.

one final point, it's not hard to check on your meds either. One time is all it takes to look up the information; learn about the drug; notice the contra-indicated medications and food; and then go on with your life.  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline InquisitHIV

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2014, 03:39:14 am »
Great educational advise Leatherman,,, too many folk on this forum seem to think all doctors have ALL the answers.

Let's be realistic, some gullible folk who listen to there doctors do or could end up quite sick or dead! Maybe not so much in the wonderful U.S. OF A.,,, but definitely in other parts of the world.

Sometime your health needs a little D.I.Y. Understand your medication, your Stribild!

I understand that in different countries the information that comes with the bottles of Stribild vary slightly, some are packaged slightly different.

I would be interested in obtaining the complete packaging, the small Stribild cardboard box the Stribild bottle comes in, the package insert and the actual EMPTY Stribild bottle, of the medication supplied in U.S.A. or other countries.

Also, I suspect different countries are supplied with Stribild with different expiry dates. I'm curious to know the expiry date on other Stribild consumers white plastic bottles. My last bottle only had an expiry date of 3 months beyond date of when seal broken. I want to make sure I'm getting the freshest Stribild available.

When you go to the grocery store to buy milk, there are those who just pick the first milk carton that comes to hand, and there are those who reach to the back and pull out a carton of milk that's gonna be a whole lot fresher.

l like FRESH. Some folk do there thing a little ways different. Get over it.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline InquisitHIV

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2014, 01:50:08 pm »
I'm not allowed to start a new thread regarding other aspects of Stribild.

I have been warned!

And today I have been asked to STOP posting on ALL other threads about Stribild.

WHAT'S GOING ON?

I'm just a simple guy, asking simple questions. What happened to freedom of speech?

Has anyone else experienced negative attitudes in their quest for knowledge?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.