Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Research News & Studies

New HIV med Etravirine (Intelence) obtains FDA approval (aka TMC-125)

(1/1)

Miss Philicia:
More great news in HIV treatment, certainly for those with resistance issues.  Has anyone been already on this medication during drug trials, as I'm curious about any side effect issues.

FDA January 18, 2008

Yesterday the FDA approved a major new antiretroviral. It works like efavirenz (Sustiva) or nevirapine (Viramune), but is active against many HIV strains that are resistant to those drugs. The drug was previously known at TMC125.

The FDA approved etravirine for "adults who have failed treatment with other antiretrovirals." It is likely to also find other uses, as it becomes better known. The drug must be used carefully, because patients can develop resistance to it, if it is part of an unsuccessful regimen.

We have learned that Intelence will be priced somewhat less than other "salvage" HIV drugs.

Patrick:
Wonderful news.  Geez, I've been positive for only about 2 months and 3 new drugs have come out during that time (isentress, the ccr5 or whatever it is drug, and now this one).  Makes me optimistic for the long-term survivors that they'll continue to be around so they can yell at me to "get off their lawn" or "turn down that damn music" or something of the sort hahahaha

I also believe this new drug philly speaks of has less central nervous system side-effects than Sustiva, which is a great thing. 

Question for you philly, you mention that the drug has to be used carefully in order to avoid resistance.  While this is true of any HIV drug, can hiv develop resistance to this drug more easily than others?  Only one mutation needed for resistance?  Just curious since you mentioned it specifically.  I was under the impression that the newer drugs typically required hiv to obtain multiple mutations for resistance.

Good news no matter what. 

Miss Philicia:
Honey, the article mentioned it, not me -- I'm not a medical professional.  Ask your doctor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version