Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:39:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 603
Total: 603

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Poll

As LNTP, do you have the M36I mutation and a VL < 10'000 (out of med)

Yes, both (M36I, <10'000)
Only the M36I mutation
Only a VL <10'000 (average)
VL <10'000 (average), don't know for M36I
None of both
Can't answer

Author Topic: LTNP: Are M36I and VL good predictors ?  (Read 4059 times)

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
LTNP: Are M36I and VL good predictors ?
« on: December 17, 2007, 11:59:02 am »
Below an extract of an article I was reading on thebody.com
http://www.thebody.com/content/treat/art5523.html

In Italy, researchers studied a group of 18 people who were about to change anti-HIV therapy. Viral load, CD4+ count and HIV RC were tested at the time of the therapy change and one year later.

People in the study fell into one of two groups; those who had a sustained increase in CD4+ counts to greater than 100 (immune responders) and those who did not (non-responders). Twelve of the 18 were immune responders and six were non-responders. Immune responders had a significantly greater reduction in HIV RC, compared to non-responders, regardless of their CD4+ cell count or viral load at study entry.
Immune responders were also more likely than non-responders to have a specific mutation (M36I) in their virus.

A larger study of 189 people in San Francisco reported that reduced RC helps explain what is happening in people who have sustained increases in CD4+ cell counts even though HIV remains detectable. The study also showed that viral load was an important factor in predicting who might do well despite an incomplete virologic response to therapy. People who had viral loads below 10,000 were most likely to have continued good health.

This study is obviously too small to be of any interest. But I was wondering if a pool among the LTNPs in this forum will correlate the results presented in this study.

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
Re: LTNP: Are M36I and VL good predictors ?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 10:37:56 am »
John,
I believe that here and among other LTSs and LTNPs I know in the RW, survival has barely any correlation to traits of the virus, yet strong association to certain immune system traits of our own and/or deep involvement in our own care.  In my case, there's one copy of the delta-32 mutation of CCR5 receptors making my CD4 population less accessible to the virus, while one HLA allele provides the "benefit" of aggressive CD8 response that are also competent against HIV--I put "benefit" in quotes as the trait also makes me feel really crappy when I do get sick and it's linked in my mom to aggressive breast cancer.

Namaste,
David
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline abstract4

• If it aint fun...DON'T DO IT
Re: LTNP: Are M36I and VL good predictors ?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 11:53:17 am »
Hi There Everyone,
I am new to these forums. However, my understanding is that an LTNP is someone that tests positive but never (or takes a very long time)loses their T cells , does not get sick i.e. viral load<1500 and CD4>500 AND has never been on medication.

Long term survivors on meds are many, LTNP's are rare. They used to think 1 in 100,000, then 1 in 10,000 and now my MD says 1 in 100.

As someone pos since '89 and never medicated and almost never sick I feel very lucky indeed.

If there Are others like me I would appreciate a reply to markowitz4@gmail.com

All names are abstract.

Abstract4

"Sex and Drugs and Rock n' Roll been very good to me"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.