Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:56:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 237
Total: 241

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Senate vote on Tuesday-UPDATE 7-18  (Read 6756 times)

Offline Oceanbeach

Senate vote on Tuesday-UPDATE 7-18
« on: July 15, 2006, 08:23:40 pm »
Dear Forum Friends,

I received an email last night from the San Francisco AIDS Foundation and one from the Sonoma County Commission on AIDS this morning.  They both say the US Senate will be voting on the RWCA re authorization on Tuesday July, 18th and ask we write letters and make calls to the Senators asking for an increased funding level for HOPWA and RWCA.

I spent almost the last year on this project to help maintain acceptable levels funding for people (like myself and you) for treatment and care. I designed and paid for the web site www.Commission-on-AIDS.org, have been in the papers, on radio and on TV to get people involved in saving our care systems.  I hit the publish button on World AIDS Day, December 1, 2005, fought tooth and nail for publicity and have never stopped.  This was all very hard work and I got nothing for my efforts.  I have been an active member of the Planning Counsil, 6 of the sub-committees and am on the last Funding Allocation Working Group which is for 1 year budget as opposed to the normal 2 years budget.  Our county is switching to a Transition level program to get people living with HIV/AIDS off the benefits cycle and back to work.  I am the AIDS spokes person for that committee as well.

I pray to God that when the Senate votes on this legislation on Tuesday, enough of you took 5 minutes of your time, invested a postage stamp, a piece of paper and an envelope to make a difference and be heard because whether or not you are in need of RWCA funding today, it can all change tomorrow or on Tuesday.

Thank you so much for your help and support during these difficult times.  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org

« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 01:30:34 am by Sonomabeach »

Offline Oceanbeach

Re: Senate vote on Tuesday (maybe)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 06:55:22 pm »
I have been all over the Senate floor schedule and can not find a scheduled vote on RWCA legislation for the day as directed by the SFAF and the Sonoma County Commission on AIDS.  The Senate Floor Schedule is not even published on their site beyond Monday July 17, 2006.

There is discussion on Stem Cell research, Postal reform and Natural resources (water) listed for the 17th with carry over to the 18th but no RWCA on the agenda.  Maybe these organizations have inside information they are not sharing or speculation.  I know of at least 2 consulting firms being paid to conduct business while I line up at the AIDS Food Bank for my weekly handouts.  I do know Babs and Susan must be smarter than I am because they are getting a fee for their work.

At least I get satisfaction by messing with Babs on Mondays at the Funding Allocation Working Group meetings.  I am such a devils advocate  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Jody

Re: Senate vote on Tuesday
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 09:37:40 pm »
Thank you so very much for your hard work and concern Michael, we desparately need good folks like you in the trenches, battling daily for us all...With this incessant bickering between nations and real wars breaking out in the Middle East, that could soon draw Syria and Iran in, the wars going on in Afghanistan and Iraq, a conflict with North Korea brewing, some folks are just looking for any excuse to cut social services to those most desperate to fund the war machines.  Disgusting and inhumane !!!

Sad but still hopeful, Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Oceanbeach

Re: Senate vote on Tuesday
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 02:31:25 am »
The CAEAR Coalition is requesting we contact our Senators and urge them to support a $25 million boost in Title III and $70 million in Title II funding levels for FY 2007.

They say the Senate Labor/HHS Appropriations Subcommittee and the full Appropriations Committee are expected to take action on Tuesday July 18 and Thursday July 20.  This request comes in on Friday July 14th. 

This gives me nothing to work with because of short notice.  It will take at least 5 days for a letter to reach Washington DC and another 10 days in quarantine.  The only Senator from California on either Appropriations Committee is Diane Fienstein and her past record shows she is in support.

A list of Senators on the Appropriations Committee can be found at http://appropriations.senate.gov/members/members.htm

CAEAR Coalition also requests to ensure the bill does not give the Secretary's authority to transfer funds among the Titles.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Oceanbeach

Re: Senate vote on Tuesday-UPDATE 7-18
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 01:48:16 am »
Today the US Senate Appropriations Subcommittee Reports FY 2007 Labor, HHS, Education Spending Bill.

Highlights:

HHS Programs- $64.181 Billion

Community Health Centers- $1.926 Billion, which is $145 million over last year.  These Centers provide critical healthcare services to underserved and uninsured people throughout America.

Pandemic Preparedness at the CDC- $119 million

Global AIDS- $100 Million for the Global Fund for HIV/AIDS/TB.  In addition $121 Million for CDC for Global HIV/AIDS/TB activities

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Programs- $2.161 billion for LIHEAP, $379 million more than the budget request

Domestic HIV/AIDS Programs at CDC- $675.9 million for HIV/AIDS testing, counseling, and prevention at the CDC, an increase of $28.2 million

RYAN WHITE AIDS PROGRAMS$2.139 billion for the RW AIDS Programs, $78 million more than last year, including $55 million for ADAP

This was a very good day for us  Have the best day
Michael

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 05:28:14 am »
Thanks for the update, Michael, and thanks for all your hard work.

It would have been better to see a bigger increase in ADAP funding but I guess the $55 M increase for next year is better than the measly $10 M increase for this year (compared to the $300 M that coalitions asked for to adequately fund the program).

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 06:01:28 am by gerry »

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 11:18:17 am »
Michael,

you are one tireless and focused individual (a good thing) when it comes to funding matters!  great news to hear about the increase in the budgets.  stay cool up on the River!

Take care,
John

Offline ademas

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 11:38:51 am »
Thanks for the update, Michael, and for all your efforts.
I am in awe of you.
xox

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 02:18:59 pm »
Oh Shucks,

I'm just a guy with a keyboard (((BLUSH))).  Someone had to send in all those letters to Congress and the only one I could say, "I am a constituant" to was Diane Fienstein.  Thank you!  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 02:45:50 pm »
A bit off your thread...but I just watched the idiot-in-chief veto the stem cell research bill that passed the Senate.

On a brighter note...Michael, you continue to fight the good fight.

Thanks,
Hal

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 02:57:48 pm »
Dear Hal,

The Senate knew in advance our Idiot Son of an A**HOLE, would veto Stem Cell Research.  Maybe some of the $2 million approved for Embryo Adoption can go retro-active to a wealthy Texan so he could have a "normal" son.  Maybe some of the $630 million awarded to Community Services Block Grant funds, (that was proposed for elimination in the President's budget) can be earmarked for a new landscaper.  One who will remove the Bushes from 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 02:59:31 pm »
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 03:44:56 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 08:21:25 pm »
Thank you for the update and for your efforts.

Offline Robert

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 09:58:37 pm »
Congratulations Michael.  It's looks like you got some money.  You see, your hard work does pay off.  And I'll have you know, I've written my reps everytime you've asked.

WHAT LOLA WANTS LOLA GETS

robert

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.