Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:02:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 218
Total: 218

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What meds are you on and why did you choose them?  (Read 21380 times)

Offline surf18

What meds are you on and why did you choose them?
« on: October 12, 2010, 09:11:44 pm »
Hello
I was told i had a vl of 16,000 and cd of 258 at my first blood test
Dr and I talked about the meds. I told him I wanted to start right away. We talked about what I wanted out of treatment. I told him I wanted a well tolerated med, I wanted my features to remain the same or get better ha.
He put me on Truvada/issentress. He then called me back and changed the Issentress to Viramune. He had thought that the Viramune was less like to cause lipo like issues. Went on the Viramune and had a rash from head to toe.severe. this came on day 13 or so. (still have the rash slightly what 3 months later...) We worked through it, it didnt get much improved. I wanted off he agreeded. He then looked at my chart,the chart where they see what you can take or not. (due to my rushyiness i started pills before the results of this test were in) He got all excited and said oh yes you can take marovich (selzentry). He said that was a miracle drug and so good. So i am currently on truvada/selzentry.
thoughts?

Also why are so many people on this Atripla one? It sounds scary!
I am not sure if this was the drug he talked to me about , the one where you take two hours after eating before bed but it was one a day. I told him I couldnt quarantee when I eat ,so we quickly dismissed that.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
Re: What meds are you on and why did you choose them?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 09:23:40 pm »

Also why are so many people on this Atripla one? It sounds scary!

Atripla is typically one fo the first regimins doctors will try to prescribe for treatment naive patients, it's easy to take (1 pill a day) which makes for better adherence with the newbies, and it actually is a very good drug first line drug. Of course there is the CNS issues that some people will have with the Sustiva in Atripla, so it's not right for everyone. But I think overall it works very well for most people. I wished I was still on it as I long for the days when I only had to take one pill.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 09:24:36 pm »
Hello Surf,

Couple of things about your post:

* Isentress is not known to cause lipo issues. Where did this doctor get such info?
* Atripla is not required to be taken at a specific hour or without food.  These are simply recommendations to help people deal with potential side effects (mainly dizziness while the body gets used to the meds).
* If you look around our forums you will probably find more people who tolerate Atripla without significant issues than you will see members who are severely affected by side effects.  Everyone reacts differently. The key thing behind this pill is its convenience, effectiveness, and virtual lack of limitations (as far as food, time to take it, etc).

I myself take Atripla for the reasons that I mentioned. So far it has been great.

Hope that helps.  

Ah, and welcome to our forum.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 09:26:11 pm by Rev. Moon »
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 09:30:00 pm »
I'm one of those people on Atripla that Rev. was talking about that takes it right before I eat/right after I eat, right before bed or a few hours before bed.... I haven't had any extreme side effects, other then some vivid dreams (every now and then) and a little bit of morning grogginess - but, then again, I really don't get to bed until about 11:30 and wake up about 6 for work (so, the grogginess would probably happen to me regardless of the Atripla).

I'm one of those people who has tolerated it quite well.  I love that I only have to take it once a day.  Any drug looks bad if you only focus on reading the labels - even Aspirin carries some scary warnings.

Best to you. -- Phil

EDITED TO ADD:  This is my 1,000th post!!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 09:31:37 pm by phildinftlaudy »
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline surf18

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 09:33:27 pm »
thanks guys.
my combo seems ok though?
its 3 pills a day. truthfully i take so many supplements always have that i just tossed two more pills in the morning pile and one more in the night pile. i do keep one selzentry in my wallet at all times, in case im out and am not home in time for the magic dosing hour.

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 09:37:45 pm »
Of course there is the CNS issues that some people will have with the Sustiva in Atripla, so it's not right for everyone.

I've been on Atripla for almost a year now. Still having slight concentration issues that I'm pretty sure are related to the Sustiva and debating a switch to something else. Not sure if a switch is warranted though...I'm not sure if switching from something that has worked so well in favor of something I don't know is wise....

decisions, decisions.  :-\

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 04:41:27 am »
Hi,

taking medication before the genotype is done (resistance chart) is certainly WAY OUT of the recommended procedure and good way to promote resistance.

That being said, it was not such a bad idea to start on I&T and replacing I by V was a good try.

Viramune is a good one: potent, promotes HDL, no known major issues. BUT, there is a But... It is a good one IF you can get passed the initiation period. Which obviously you did not. That is too bad ... but without consequences. We are in 2010 and you have choices left... It was a good try.

Although I must insist for the sake of new readers (not you, obviously...) : starting treatment before the genotype results are known is NOT the right thing to do (unless you are at death door...)

I am on Viramune + Kivexa (see my thread about it in this section) and very happy that I could get the passed the many IFs that come with this combo. If Viramune does not (or did not) work for me Isentress would be my replacement choice.

I must admit I was attracted by truvada/selzentry also but here it is not a first line regimen, so it had not been offered to me.

It sounds good to me and you should not have any regrets or seconds thoughts about it.

While you may feels upset about the viramune failure, I would say, in backing of that initial choice that it was worth the try.

I was VERY Anxious being put on Viramune + Epzicom (aka kivexa) because of the high initial risks. But I believe that, for people with my anxiety/age profile, my doctor made a quite bold choice and I praise him every damn day for this, because I feel this was, in fact, the best for me...

Good Luck Eric
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 04:46:17 am by eric48 »
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline joemutt

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 05:25:19 am »
Viramune + truvada here, used to take azt, crixivan, epivir at one point or other in the past 13 years of meds, phased out the azt and crixivan because better options became available, not because of side efects or resistance. I think the sustiva in atripla wdnt sit well with me, so I have another combination, it's 3 pills a day once a day , I'm fine with it. Wish you well.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 07:23:50 am »
I am going to give your doctor the benefit of the doubt and assume it is you who reported these decisions as having been sort of casual.
Also you don't know much about the HAART medicines, and why and when people start certain ones.
Spend some time in these forums reading threads and you will learn all about the different reasons people are on different combos.
Selzentry (Celsentri; maraviroc) is hardly a "miracle" but yes its indeed very tolerable, one of the newest, and also by the way one of the most expensive.  
You know some people are on Atripla because it works just great for them, and they only have one copay, which makes a difference.
Alot of the newest drugs arent available everywhere in the world - you know that?
In Switzerland I had to wait a year longer than Amercians for the Swiss to approve Isentress and thus for swiss insurance to pay for it.
Welcome to the forums!
And welcome to the complicated and not casual world of HIV treatment.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline surf18

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 08:03:08 am »
thanks guys
appreciate the answers!

Offline freaky_dream

• mmm
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 03:13:34 pm »
In Switzerland I had to wait a year longer than Amercians for the Swiss to approve Isentress and thus for swiss insurance to pay for it.

Wow what irony considering that Isentress is manufactured in Switzerland.

Anyways, to the OP why did your doctor switch you from Isentress to Viramune? It is well tolerated and not known to cause any lipo issues. In fact a couple of posters here have stated that after going on Isentress their lipo improved a bit.

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 03:21:59 pm »
...considering that Isentress is manufactured in Switzerland.

???
The patent holder is Merck, headquartered in beautiful New Jersey, the Garden State (where it is currently an absolutely gorgeous fall day)! 

not that we are feeling parochial or anything...
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 05:54:30 pm »
Hi,

because I was initially quite in favor of I&T and was offered (surprisingly) V&K (Kivexa is virologically quite similar to T)
I have questionned my doc about his choice of V

here is my doc's rationnal:
- V gets into the brains more than I
- V reduces VL in semen more than I
- in this part of the world I&T is not yet for treatment naives (and less is known about Isentress which is newer)

Please let me add this:
- Isentress does not change the lipid profile whereas Viramune does, but in a POSITIVE (and protective) mannner (increasing HDL and reducing TG and LDL)
- Isentress also has a resistance profile and research is only beginning to unveil the mutations associated to it recently (on going work)
- Isentress is twice a day and current (disappointing) trials show that once a day is not for tomorrow and if so , not for everyone.
- While Viramune is currently and officially twice a day, lots of people are taking it once a day (after being UDs for a while) and once a day Viramune XR (extended released) has passed all necessary tests to get approved within a few months
therefore it is a once a day down the road

on the long run ,though, I'll keep a close eye on Isentress and its cousins, they are very promising, as is Selentry...

I would rather think that Surf's doc had explained that viramune has a better lipid profile than Isentress which Surf may have understood as a better lipo profile
(most authors seem to link the lipid profile to the lipo issue, but the story may be a little more complex than that...)

While I thougth for a while that my doc had put me on V & K in a conservative approach (they are quite less new than others) and thought he had more experience with this combo, I later found out that I am the first patient he initiates to this combo !

(my family has an history of cholesterol/CVD/diabetes/Alzheimer issues and these are a serious concerns of mine)

By the way, the OT was asking why you choose one regimen vs an other.

One thing I had found very usefull in one bristish site (aidsmap ?) was a table to fill in preparation for the discussion with doc about choice of meds

the table was basically a 4 (or more) lines and 4 column (ranking 1 to 4 from very important to less important)

on the line you may have issues such as :
lipo (for me that is a lesser concern, for exemple...)
dosage (one or twice a day)
virologic efficiency
side efects
cost (copay/inssurrance...)
protection of end organs (brains/liver/kidneys, depending on your mediacal history and profile)
what have you...

I found that filling such a table prior to the initial meds selection was a very good tool for the discussion.

Of course the key chart is the resistance chart. It takes only 3 weeks to get it done... I would certainly not have taken any medication before that is done...

I am looking forward to hear the good outcome from Surf in the next few weeks/month
Please keep us posted

Cheers!
Eric

NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 06:06:44 pm »

- in this part of the world I&T is not yet for treatment naives (and less is known about Isentress which is newer)

Actually it was approved in the EU for treatment naive patients  as of September 2009.  What "part of the world" are you referring to?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline camille07

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 07:14:35 pm »
Hey Surf-

I take a 3 pill combo that includes Reyetaz, Truvada, and Novir.  I was given the option of Atripla but declined, here's why: 

The clinic, for my assessments, was holding a trial for the before mentioned drugs or another 3 drug combo.  I told the doctor I had no problem taking part in trial since I work from home and have my own transportation.  It seemed like it was difficult getting people to participate either because of issues of time or other obstacles.

It started almost two years ago on my meds.  I'm really pleased on several levels.  The most important is that it's brought me to an undetectable level fairly quickly.  I think it was a month's time. My cd 4 climbed for 184 (it's unclear if that number is accurate, I believe it might have been around 220).  Anyway, it's up to 750 and my percentage is 45.8. up from 21%. 

The second reason is that I feel good.  I never feel sick on this combo.  I've had problems with yellowing of the eyes from time to time if I went out celebrating or take my pain meds too close together.  I also haven't had a problem with my kidney, liver, or lipid levels at all.

Third is that I have not had perfect tolerance.  I would say about 96% adherence.  I know, my bad, but it's still working for me.

Fourth, if I decide to have children, this is the combination they would put me on.  I don't think children are in my future anymore, but it's nice to have that option. 

Obviously number four won't affect your decision, but I just wanted to be as specific as possible for why people choose specific combos.

So at the end of the night, I settle in with some Nina Simone, chesterfields and  cocktail of 3.  Ok not the chesterfields, but you get the point. ;)

Hope this helps.

Camms

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 07:21:16 pm »
I think there are two subsidiaries of Merck yeah and Isentress is American.  ;D
Im not sure if its even approved as first line in Switzerland, but doctors fudge such things it seems. Anyway it wasnt first line for me so who care. Just happy to have it.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline surf18

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 08:56:35 pm »
He had liked the Viramune because it was tried and trued where as the selzentry was newer. and nope he was clear on lipo issues not lipid.
though shocked today as in my previouse thread that the cd dropped a huge amount on last blood test from 378 to 262 in two weeks time. but % dropped from 16 to 15

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 09:42:39 am »
% is only known (generally) with a 1 or 2 % error margin. So yours is basically unchanged.

CD4 may go up and down... The key figure to llok at is VL ...  Cheers Eric

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 09:51:07 am »
Actually it was approved in the EU for treatment naive patients  as of September 2009.

you are correct. My mistake... But as alternative (not recommended) . Once approved at committee level, it takes some time to get into our socialized health insurrance to get approved for coverage... But in principle, you are correct.

Eric

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 11:58:35 am »
you are correct. My mistake... But as alternative (not recommended) . Once approved at committee level, it takes some time to get into our socialized health insurrance to get approved for coverage... But in principle, you are correct.

Eric

Yes, correct in principle only. For example, the Liverpool NHS Trust will not approve Isentress for  treatment naive individuals because the cost is pretty much twice that of Sustiva or Reyataz (for example).

It is only allowed for the treatment naive if they have been infected with a resistant strain and cannot take any med in at least two classes. (not many people will fit that criteria) If they're only resistant to one class, their combo cannot include Isentress. I was told this by my doctor this past Tuesday.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 12:04:19 pm »
The OP is on Selzentry so that's all a bit irrelevant frankly.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 12:18:21 pm »
The OP is on Selzentry so that's all a bit irrelevant frankly.

Chill out, Miss P. The OP himself brought Isentress into the discussion in his OP. Other people in the thread then discussed Isentress further, so it's all relevant to the thread. You just didn't like being right in principle but wrong in practice. ;D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2010, 05:08:05 pm »
he was clear on lipo issues not lipid.

Ok ... Then... well... it may be the first time I would hear about a difference between Viramune and Isentress with regards to lipo.

I was just a bit in doubt because on one hand:
A/ viramune has a pretty good reputation when it comes to lipo (and remember millions of people have or are taking it)

and on the other

B/ I would think that Isentress is too new a drug to draw any picture about longer terms Side Effects (in most cases, I understand lipo appears after a few years, I hear). No immediate SE were reported on the one, small cohort, short term study that has been completed. Users voice about it is also fairly positive.

Surf's rash and (bad) experience is, I suppose, one of the reasons why Viramune has lost popularity in areas where many other options are available. I try to learn more about the regimen I am taking so that I can help others who have been offered to use it, and I will certainly register the (somewhat sad) experience Surf has shared with us about it. Some teams are working on a simple genetic test to screen out those with a higher risk of rash. Despite this tough experience, and all things considered, I still think it was worth the try.

I really look forward to Surf's outcome and feedback. Thanks in advance Eric

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2010, 05:16:37 pm »
I have seen no reporting on Isentress causing lipo, and respectfully request that either the written proof be referenced to by surf18 or this isn't going anywhere, and no I could care less what your doctor told you (or you thought he told you) in the absence of same.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2010, 07:41:40 pm »
Well, here is where I went.

I first took Saquinavir, Epivir and AZT, then, switched the Saquinavir for Crixivan when it became available.

After 11 years on that cocktail, I switched (briefly) to Sustiva/Combivir, because of lipohypertrophy.

Not being able to live with Sustiva, I switched to Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada, because it was the logical choice as it had the least chance of enhancing my lipohypertrophy.

Had to switch from Reyataz because I have GERD, so I started on Lexiva, which was easy to take, but spiked my lipids substantially.

Switched from Lexiva to Isentress because my lipids suck. (Not lipo, lipids).

Lipids dropped substantially and rapidly on said regimen. They then rose again, but not quite as bad as they were.

Still taking Isentress and Truvada. Last CD4 was 1,150 or some such, undetectable since 1996.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline surf18

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 07:51:24 pm »
my doc was talked good about issentress with my concerns. he even prescribed it and then changed his mind and felt more confidnet with the tried and trued veramune in regards to my concerns. that is why i switched.
and then subsuquently ended up on selzentry. so no my doc never said issentress would nt be good for me and and my concerns he just new veramune was again tried and trued.

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2010, 11:01:56 am »
Hey Surf!
I was diagnosed with a low cd4 count so i began treatment before my resistance results were in. My doc sat me down and went over a chart of all the combos and discussed risks and side-effects for each. I am a Budget Analyst and Accountant (hence my name) and because of that Atripla was not on my radar. It seems like Atripla is the "It" drug right now for obvious reasons, and before going in was the drug I wanted, but a small amount of people have prolonged fogginess and trouble concentrating. So because I'm managing millions on a daily basis I can't afford to not be mentally sharp (Altho it will be argued that with or without meds whether I am ever mentally sharp)

My doc because of all of the above recommended Truvada, Prezista, and Norvir. I'm new and its low risk for restistance and its potent. The side effects were pretty severe for a few weeks with daily fevers around 102-103 and of course a rash that tingled but never itched. After 2 weeks all of those seemed to go away. I'm on the one time a day dosage because I'm new, but I think for non-newbies it is twice daily. I don't notice a difference when I take with food versus those times I take it on an empty stomach.

My one complaint is that Norvir is a gel tab that requires refridgeration. I know a tablet exists that doesn't require this, but my insurance doesn't cover it. I would pay a $125 co-pay for the tablet instead of the gel. Right now my 3 meds cost $2600 and I pay $35 thanks to all 3 having manufacturer co-pay assistance programs. Without these I would pay $30 each or $90 total. Atripla would be nice due to having one co-pay, but I will never complain about what I pay because so many people pay a lot more than I do.

I'm really happy with my results so far, and eventhough I mentioned to my doc about being placed on Atripla after I was stabilized, I feel that desire has faded. I love my combo and hope to remain on it, and that it continues to be effective.

JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Strive for “One Day When” by collecting “One Day Wins”

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2010, 03:48:08 pm »
I've dabbled in almost the entirety of the HIV buffet. From AZT to first gen Viracept to Sustiva to Kaletra to 3TC to Truvada. Currently prescribed Isentress, Norvir, Prezista, and Truvada. I figure my docs think when you chuck a kitchen sink into a body, something is bound to hit a target. Seems to work, despite having the adherence history of a ferret with ADHD.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2010, 04:37:34 pm »
in almost 19 yrs, at one time or another, I have taken :
Epivir, Epzicom, Emtriva, Retrovir/AZT, Truvada, Videx, Videx EC, Viread, Zerit, Ziagen, Viracept, Norvir (liquid, gelcap, pill), Sustiva, Viramune, Crixivan, Kaletra (liquid, gelcap), Reyataz

all of these meds have given me extreme nausea and gastro issues, along with other problems like dizziness, fogginess, and nightmares. Severe vomiting led me to quit several regimens throughout the years (choosing quality of life over quantity was often a tough but necessary choice in the mid to late 90s). For some inexplicable reason, I quit throwing up 4-6 times a month, with my more current regimen (Truvada, norvir, reyataz), when my late second partner went into the hospital in Mar 08, Happily now, I've only thrown up twice in the last 2 and half yrs. During that time, I have also had my longest sustained UD period and have recently reach a high peak of 318 at my last cd4 count.

This was a pix of my pills in Feb 2004

now I take 3 anti-hiv pills a day and 1 acyclovir ;D

which all goes to show, that as far as HIV meds, results and side effects go:
Your mileage may vary :D ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2010, 05:31:07 pm »
17 years of treatment, 18 different medications.

Zidovudine (AZT)
Epivir (3TC)
Emtriva
Viread
Videx (ddI)
Zerit (d4T)
Ziagen
Hivid (ddC)
Sustiva
Viramune
Invirase (saquinavir)
Kaletra
Norvir
Prezista
Viracept
Fuzeon
Isentress
Hydrozyurea

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2010, 09:00:02 pm »
Oh Philly,

I forgot about your taking DDC.

{{{{{{{{{{{SHUDDER}}}}}}}}}}}}

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2010, 09:07:19 pm »
Oh Philly,

I forgot about your taking DDC.

{{{{{{{{{{{SHUDDER}}}}}}}}}}}}

HUGS,

Mark

Not just that but I'm sure at the time it was combined with Videx and/or Zerit, which is doubly bad, nor can I recall clearly how many years this happened.  One of the many reasons that many days I can't tell that my toes are attached to my feet.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2010, 09:24:40 am »
20 years of treatment, 17 different medications.

Zidovudine (AZT)
Epivir (3TC)
Emtriva
Viread
Videx (ddI)
Zerit (d4T)
Ziagen
Hivid (ddC)
Sustiva
Viramune
Invirase (saquinavir)
Kaletra
Norvir
Prezista
Viracept
Fuzeon
Isentress
Hydrozyurea
APTIVUS
TRUVADA
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 09:31:36 am by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2010, 10:15:46 am »
20 years of treatment, 17 different medications.

Zidovudine (AZT)
Epivir (3TC)
Emtriva
Viread
Videx (ddI)
Zerit (d4T)
Ziagen
Hivid (ddC)
Sustiva
Viramune
Invirase (saquinavir)
Kaletra
Norvir
Prezista
Viracept
Fuzeon
Isentress
Hydrozyurea
APTIVUS
TRUVADA

lol... I bet out medical files, not to mention our body and face being fucked up, look the same :)

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2010, 10:18:47 am »
lol... I bet out medical files, not to mention our body and face being fucked up, look the same :)

And you'd be correct Miss P  ;) but your 10 yrs younger than me, so hunnie, I don't think you look as bad as I do  ;D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 10:22:41 am by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline joemutt

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2010, 06:21:44 am »
Epivir,
Retrovir/AZT,
Crixivan, Combivir,
Viread and something I forgot.

Now Truvada + Neravir ( a generic form of nevirapine/viramune).

13 years of meds. Very few side effects though afraid of bone density loss.

Offline Nextdoor_guy

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2010, 05:35:39 am »
I am a new guy here.
just started 2 months ago with Kaletra + Combivir twice per day. my CD4 was around 500 when started. In 1 month will go to see what's up.

Had a bit of nausea but that was all about side effects. so far 100% adherence.
There's too much confusion.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2010, 07:54:21 am »
After dx seven years ago, I'm less than 30 days into a first regimen of Isentress/Truvada. To answer your question, I chose it because I have a child and an elderly parent nearby and wanted to be assured of being able to waken, clear-headed, if there were an emergency in the night. Plain and simple. Then, the added benefit of knowing people were getting great, swift results was attractive and the fact that one-day dosing of this regimen was under study and further that patients are going off-label and successfully one-day dosing with their docs' knowledge, but not their approval, of course. The least attractive part of the regimen is its speed to resistance development due to non-adherence. So, I've decided to develop as a pilltaker and be dutiful. I'm typically not a good pilltaker, but I'm motivated not to fuck this up. Oh yes, and the side effects profile looked manageable if not possibly non-existent if lucky. This is the first time I have EVER looked forward to getting my next set of numbers. My VL has always been super-low, but I'm very keen on seeing the CD4 count rise.

Offline Hoover

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2010, 07:21:42 pm »
Thank you all.
Everyone's views on the meds they take is very interesting!
This is the reason I come to this site so I can learn what real people think about what they are taking and how it feels and affects them. Presently I am not on meds and the only ones offered in Costa Rica are:
zidovudine (AZT), lamivudine (3TC) and efavirenz

If and when my partner or I have to start meds we will try to get the ones most preferred by you members here. .

Cheers,
Hoover and Dr. D.
Infection date: March 16, 2010
20/05/10 - CD4 348  VL 58,000  Lymph nodes in jaw painful!  Antioxidants started.
01/06/10 - CD4 428  VL?
24/06/10 - CD4 578  VL 9,800
13/07/10 - CD4 620  VL?
04/09/10 - CD4 648  VL?
01/11/10 - CD4 710  VL?   CD8 972
16/12/10    CD4 738  VL?  CD8  896   
02/02/11    CD4 520 (month of parasites and new lab)
14/03/11 started Truvida and Sustiva (Efavirenz)
04/07/11 CD4 686 VL 75 CD8 588  41%
10/10/11 CD4 757  45%  VL UD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.