Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:16:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 199
Total: 200

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I'm getting another baby!!  (Read 27253 times)

Offline skeebo1969

Re: I'm getting another baby!!
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2011, 11:18:19 am »

There's been a new adddition to the family.  I've been on a waiting list for 6 years for this little fellow.  This is another subspecies of Terrapin, an Ornate Diamondback Terrapin:

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2011, 11:28:44 am »
WOW! What a wonderful looking little creature.

Awaiting further bulletins...
Andy Velez

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2011, 11:33:24 am »
He's so BEAUTIFUL! I love how he is giving you the "stink eye" in the pics. LOL.

How big will he get?
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2011, 01:32:13 pm »
Cute!

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2011, 02:42:53 pm »
Very Cute. Have you named him/her ?  :)
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2011, 03:25:32 pm »
He's so BEAUTIFUL! I love how he is giving you the "stink eye" in the pics. LOL.

How big will he get?

He does look like he has a bit of an attitude, huh?  If it's female it will grow to about 6 to 9 inches long at the shell, and if it's male it will grow no longer than 4 to 6 inches.

Very Cute. Have you named him/her ?  :)

Having trouble coming up with a name.  I won't know what sex it is for another year or so.  So far I've given two females men's names so perhaps I should hold back.  My wife wants to name it Rasta to go along with the other two names of Ziggy and Marley (both female).

I lent Marley to a breeder in North Carolina in a deal for this new little guy/gal.  The breeder says it was temp sexed for female.... but I've heard that before concerning my other two who were supposedly males.

Any ideas?

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2011, 03:44:43 pm »
Is Rasta a name? Rasta in Hindi means "way" or "route".  :)

For a turtle I like the name "Squidgy".  :)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=squidgy
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 04:17:06 pm by spacebarsux »
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline Robert

« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2011, 03:52:47 pm »
Congrats.

What does that mean?  "temp sexed for female?"

Do you keep them together or separate?

How about Haile (as in Selassie?)

And congrats on the move.  I'm so happy for you.  Talk to Mike (bocker) about restaurants.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2011, 03:58:40 pm »
I'd go for Rasta. If it's a boy, you could amend it to Rasta Man.

Is Rasta a name? Rasta in Hindi means "way" or "route".  :)

It's short for Rastafari.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2011, 06:35:48 pm »
More Turtle pics please!!!!!!

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline buginme2

« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2011, 06:41:22 pm »
I've always liked the name Yurtle
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2011, 06:49:15 pm »
Spoil that baby as much as you can! 

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2011, 07:59:05 am »
Congrats.

What does that mean?  "temp sexed for female?"

Do you keep them together or separate?

How about Haile (as in Selassie?)

Hey Robert!  I hope all is well on your end.  Regarding your question about temp sexed --after the female lays her eggs breeders incubate the eggs at certain temperatures to achieve a desired sex; at 78 degrees  they will be all hatched as females, and at 81 degrees they all are hatched as males.   Any temperature in between is supposed to give a sexual mix of sorts.

I have to keep the little one separate....  the others may confuse it for a snack.  He is just a tad smaller than a nickel.

I like Haile, but I like Selassie even better.  Ann mentioning Rastafari even sparks my interest.... 

And congrats on the move.  I'm so happy for you.  Talk to Mike (bocker) about restaurants.

Thanks Rob, much appreciated.  Did you ever get that 4 wheeler to run correctly?  Didn't know Mike was near Boston..

I'd go for Rasta. If it's a boy, you could amend it to Rasta Man.

It's short for Rastafari.

hmmm, that's a good idea too.

I might have to get some more to go along with all these great name ideas. ;)  If Marley is successfully bred in the Spring I get first choice from the clutch as well.  I currently  have 3 of the 7 subspecies of DBT.   

That's a dream for now until we get into a bigger place...

I've always liked the name Yurtle

Name already taken.   When I was 6 years old  I had a Japanese Reeve's turtle named Yurtle the Turtle, coolest one I've ever owned.  She died when I was 32 of respiratory infection... the guy who gave her to me was a neighbor and he had her for 12 years himself.

More Turtle pics please!!!!!!

-Will

I'll get some more up soon.  The little tyke is so skittish it's hard to get closeups without it diving for cover.  Those pics above were taken about 4-5 feet away believe it or not..lol. 

Spoil that baby as much as you can! 

LOL you know it....

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2011, 09:02:13 am »
Wow, I cant believe he is barely bigger than a nickel! So amazing.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2011, 09:18:41 am »
Jeeze, smaller than a nickel? I though s/he was at least two inches or so. Your camera must have an awesome zoom on it to get such a good picture of the little critter from five feet away!

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Robert

« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2011, 02:36:38 pm »

He is just a tad smaller than a nickel.....

That's a dream for now until we get into a bigger place...

Uh?

No, the 4wheeler is still sitting next to the barn.  Hard to work on when 105' every day.  Now that fall is here I can work on it.

Mike lives in Virginia but it seems like he's in Boston every weekend.  Ok, maybe not that often but he sure knows the place and he loves food

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2011, 03:29:42 pm »
Ann, it's not about size. LOL LOL
Andy Velez

Offline Since2005

« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2011, 05:08:57 pm »
Cute pics!! he/she/it  is only bigger than a nickle..? Wow amazing looking tiny creature!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2011, 07:41:35 am »
Ann, it's not about size. LOL LOL

Sez who? :D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline wolfter

« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2011, 08:45:52 am »
Sez who? :D

Zactly!  Who wants to set sail in the Pacific in a canoe? ;D
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2011, 07:14:36 am »
Jeeze, smaller than a nickel? I though s/he was at least two inches or so. Your camera must have an awesome zoom on it to get such a good picture of the little critter from five feet away!

You should see the pics I have of my wife!!  This thing can capture new pu hair growth with great detail.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2011, 10:41:28 am »
You should see the pics I have of my wife!!  This thing can capture new pu hair growth with great detail.

It's a shame that you can't post them or link to them. Wouldn't mind having a looksie. ~sigh~

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2011, 11:19:29 am »
It's a shame that you can't post them or link to them. Wouldn't mind having a looksie. ~sigh~

;D
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2011, 11:38:20 pm »
Here are some updated pics of the two, both are growing considerably and the ornate is really morphing quite a bit:
Chesapeake

The Ornate:

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.