Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:58:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 461
Total: 462

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Is it possible to have a sunburn like rash on the chest as your ONLY symptom?  (Read 22441 times)

Offline jasper3528

Can a sunburn-like rash on your chest for a week without any other symptoms be a sign of ARS?  Or does it always come with other symptoms: fever, sore throat, etc?

Also, with the rash I mentioned, if it were an ARS rash, could it almost go away at night while sleeping then come back during the day, continually getting brighter red followed by looking better, and back and forth?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Jasper, neither the presence nor the absence of any particular symptoms is ever the way to know about your HIV status reliably. If there has been a risky incident, getting tested at the proper time is how you know on way or the other.

Have you had such an incident? Please clarify.
Andy Velez

Offline jasper3528

First off, I know I need to get tested that is for sure.

About two weeks before the rash started I was the top in an unprotected sexual experience (anal sex).  This rash was sunburn like, lasted about a week, had no other symptoms.  The rash was not constant in that taking a shower definitely aggrivated it, and moisturizing body lotion definitely helped it.  If I didn't have the sexual experience I would obviously totally disregard the rash, but as it is I have to look at it as a possibility.

Offline jasper3528

Also, the rash started while I was vacationing in Las Vegas.  I am from the east coast of the U.S. so I am hoping that the hot dry weather had something to do with it.  However, it was definitely a rash and not sunburn since my chest was never exposed even though I did spend a lot of time outside.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Unprotected anal sex is a very high risk. If it was receptive and with ejaculation that's very high risk. If it was insertive then the risk is somewhat less but still high.

You should test at 13 weeks past the unprotected incident to get a reliable answer.

In the future you can have as much anal sex as you like as long as the insertive partner is always, ALWAYS wearing a latex condom. No exceptions. They provide very effective protection. And it doesn't matter what you think you know about someone's history or how great the person looks. A condom is a must.

The rash you have described is not ARS-specific. If it is still bothering you I suggest you discuss it with your doctor or a dermatologist.

Good luck with your test result.

Andy Velez

Offline jasper3528

I appreciate the responses and information greatly.  Basically what you are saying is that an ARS rash would not be affected by heat, showers, lotions, etc....it would always be constant until one day it would just dissapear?

Offline jasper3528

I should also add that I did go to a Dermatologist and he was unsure about the rash, his only guess was that it was from some type of viral infection (but again he wasn't sure and was pretty vague about it).  His advice was just to forget about it and let it run its course which doesn't give me too much confidence in him.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Jasper,

Why do you have two accounts? I can see you have also joined with the account "yummyvitamins". Having multiple accounts is against our Terms of Membership which you agreed to when you became a member. This information is also contained within the Welcome Thread, which you should have read by now.

I've disabled your second account. Do not create a third account or you will be permanently banned.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jasper3528

I apologize, I was just trying to get more feedback.  May I give a more detailed description of my rash to hopefully get more insight?  I really am going through a lot of anxiety here and again I apologize.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
A more detailed description of why you think you were exposed to HIV is more to the point than your rash.

We can't diagnose symptoms here.
Andy Velez

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
Andy is spot on.  The symptoms don't mean diddly squat.  Some of us never had ANY symptoms.  They are IMPOSSIBLE to diagnose.

LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline jasper3528

Again, I do apologize.  So as to not take up much more of anybodys time I will give a most complete discription of my rash and would greatly appreciate any info that is given.

For the first 5 days the rash was the same shade of red.  It covered approximately 2/3 of my chest and at times would cover more area but would then shrink back to its original size.  It did this several times.  On the 5th night the rash almost completely went away by the time I woke up the next morning.  However, an hour after waking up the rash came completely back.  It repeated this the next night and morning again.  Now for days 7 and 8 the rash has greatly lessened but it is still there, at times getting darker red only to almost fade away again (it keeps doing this). 

I also would like to note there have been approximately 6-8 small blotches (approximately 2mm across) that are darker red/pink in color on my chest, they come and go as well.

Offline ACinKC

I'm sorry were we not PERFECTLY clear.  None of what you typed matters at all.  See your Dr for a proper diagnosis.
RIDE!!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
For some reason known only to you, you insist on not discussing why you think you were at risk for HIV.

Until if and when you decide to be more forthcoming, there's really nothing  more we can say about your situation.

Andy Velez

Offline jasper3528

As I mentioned earlier, two weeks (I think to the day) before the rash started I had unprotected, insertive anal sex (I was the top).  The man told me he was negative but that doesn't really mean anything.  I still can't believe I did something so stupid and this has scared me beyond imagine and regardless of the test results I know I won't be playing russian roulette ever again.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
OK, thanks for the clarification and my apologies for having missed your earlier comment.

The insertive partner is at less risk than the receptive partner. However, it is still a high risk situation so you do need to get tested. Your rash is absolutely not somethng you should (mis)interpret as a sign that you are HIV+. ONLY and HIV test can give you that answer.

The CDC recommends doing that at 13 weeks past the most recent risky incident.

As you seem to realize, you do need to wear a condom everytime you have intercourse, no matter which position you are taking. You can have as much sex as you like and with whomever. But you need to do it the safer way which means an insertive partner always, ALWAYS wears a condom everytime. No exceptions.

If your rash persists that's something to discuss with your doctor. It is not HIV specific and can occur for all sorts of reasons.

Good luck with your test result.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline jasper3528

Thank you very much for the response and info.

Offline jasper3528

The one thing that surprises me is the lack of specific information on this topic on the internet in general.  I know that I have spent tens of hours "google'ing" ARS rash and symptoms and unfortunately most sites just have very vague information.  If you would be kind enough to answer a few more questions, here goes:

Do ARS symptoms always come all at once and stay with the person until they all go away together? 

Or could you start with a fever, then when other symptoms start the fever would go away?

Is it possible/typical with ARS that a fever could last 1 to 2 weeks?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
If symptoms show up they vary in intensity depending on the person. They appear at the same time. They do not appear singly and they do not come and go and come again.

Having symptoms last 10 days to two weeks is very common. The rash associated with ARS is flat and usually on the torso and arms and legs. It is not itchy. Because this and other symptoms are so similar to those from many other causes they are not considered a reliable way of knowing about your status.
Andy Velez

Offline jasper3528

One very last question:

Is it possible to have an ARS rash with absolutely no other symptoms at all?

Once again, thank you very much for all your help.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Possible? Yes. Likely? No.
Andy Velez

Offline jasper3528

One more question that I have thought of:

Does an ARS rash, when it goes away, goes away quickly like in 24 hours?  Or does it take several days to slowly clear up?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
jasper,

Something like the duration of the ARS rash can vary from person to person. You cannot diagnose hiv status through symptoms - so stop concentrating on symptoms.

How long ago did your incident happen? If it's been six weeks or more, you can test for peace of mind. The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. A negative result at six weeks MUST be confirmed at the three month point.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jasper3528

My incident happened almost 4 weeks ago so I know I need to sit tight for another two weeks until I can test. 

However, my question wasn't about duration of symptoms.  I am trying to find out with an ARS rash: when it eventually does goes away does it go away as fast as it appeared (for example, 24 hour period), or will it linger around and slowly fade away over a week period?  I thought I had read somewhere, although I can't remember that is why I am asking, that an ARS rash will go away quickly when it does finally go away (after having it for a period of time it will just go away over night for example) as compared to slowly fading away.

Offline ACinKC

Can I ask what difference it makes? 
RIDE!!!

Offline jasper3528

I am trying to learn as much as I can on this subject and unfortunately finding specific information such as this seems surprisingly almost impossible on the internet.  This is probably the first thing I have ever googled where I only get general, non specific, information.

Offline ACinKC

That is because HIV symptoms are general and not specific.  So you actually got the correct information.  People generally don't believe it however.
RIDE!!!

Offline jasper3528

I do realize that, however I believe my question has an actual "yes or no" "either this or that" answer for it.

Offline ACinKC

And if you get a yes or no answer what difference will it make?  Symptoms vary GREATLY between individuals.  Thats why we dont use them to diagnose.  Not to mention there are NO specific HIV symptoms AT ALL.

The type of rash associated with ARS is usually described as maculopapular (lesions that are small, colored, flat, and raised), is painless, doesn't itch, and is located on the trunk of the body (sometimes the face as well). As for your one main question about the duration of the ARS rash, perhaps the reason no one has been able to give you an "accurate answer" is that the rash is variable in presentation and duration from person to person. Rash occurs in about 70% of people with primary HIV infection. It is usually a reddish, non-itchy, slightly raised papular eruption. It is usually symmetrical with distinct 5 to 10 millimeter spots affecting the face or trunk. Sometimes it can affect the arms, legs, palms, soles or even be generalized. The duration of the rash, as I mentioned, is variable.
RIDE!!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.