Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:33:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 376
Total: 376

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: This is just ... :'(  (Read 3688 times)

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
This is just ... :'(
« on: December 11, 2007, 03:31:48 am »
I wasn't looking for anything HIV related. I usually listen to stuff on youtube to keep me awake while working, vblogs and the like. But this caught me on the YouTube homepage. This isn't the first time I have seen images of AIDS in Africa. Who hasn't seen them. But they are not "images" are they. They are real people dying. I usually turn away. Wander elsewhere with my remote/mouse. I try to avoid watching or reading anything too painful, and the media is filled with horror stories as we all know. But sometimes I do watch or read stuff that makes me feel so helpless. Like every day, if you will open any news website or even just use your email, you will see something, naturally. More often than not I want to write about it here but I think what's the point and you will only make other people stressed and sad, people who can't do anything either.
These stories, these images - but they are not either are they, but REAL PEOPLE - break your heart over and over again, so I try to avoid them...

But on TV you are struck with the horror and your imagination completes what you don't see, yet at least you don't get these comments. It is the comments that truely freeze you, that make you think everything is truely hopeless in this world. I know I shouldn't pay attention to them but they caught my eye. I just wish every one of these commenting teenagers(?) will rot in hell forever. I have never hated anyone like this, including people who have hurt me personally, simply because even my worst choices in men or employers of whatever were not so rotten on the inside. I know, these are just annonymous commentators, but I hate them so much. And not becuase I have HIV myself either...  Maybe this relates to Jeffry J's post above. In a world where politicians say shit like that, no wonder they breed a generation of ignorant, mean, spoiled dumbfucks. I know I shouldn't focus on them but on what can be done, but what can be done???? The pain of not being able to infulence or control anything in this world becomes unbearable when it is confronted with people who just like it that way, because for them it's entertaining.

That make you wanna throw up. It is not "just" HIV stigmatization. There is something so wrong and I know it's not constructive to focus on that but this morning this realization (not negating all the good things in this world) is just so powerful that I needed to vent here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzQQiCPWSYA

I attach the link so you know what I am talking about but I totally understand if it is too much to view... I just wanted to share my feelings on being confronted with this, on just a normal day, at work, looking for distraction on the web... you know, just another day. I feel just a little better now, but it is not about me or my feeling better at all, but anyway.  :'(
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline DCGUY2007

Re: This is just ... :'(
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 04:25:56 am »
Dragonette,

YOU can help change and influence the world. You just started a small change by posting here. When people read the post many will become curious and watch the video. I am watching it now although I have the volume down because of where I am. But I will watch it again with the volume on later. I have also read some of the comments under the video. Some are disgusting but a few show compassion. For example here is one persons comments :"We need to help these people, simple as that- not to condemn them or use them to promote some religious/political ideology. All this bickering and blaming is useless when the issue in the video just stares right back at us"

Dragonette you would be surprised at how many people will see this video because of you. Many will then go and try and do something even something small to help change this situation. Keep posting any concerns you have. Yes sometimes it is easier to turn away but when I see a post like yours I become curious then I want to do something to help.

Life has gotten better for people in many many places because ONE person brought attention to something and started the change. Don't underestimate your power to bring about change.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 07:03:34 am »
Hey Drag,

I know it's frustrating.  But like DC said, you did make a change.  People here will be watching that video.  Even if the change is just more people praying, that's still a change.  You have a big heart.  I don't watch those kinds of things often.  When I think of making changes, I try to start out by something in my community that needs to be done or an organization that needs help.  While I realize it's not Africa, it is something I can do locally.  Thanks for sharing this.  Makes me feel not so bad about my situation, and that's the attitude I need to have if I'm going to persevere on.  Once again, thanks.
Peace-
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline esquimau

• Wee bit more info
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 08:10:59 am »
AIDS work in Africa is very sobering to be sure, but there is a lot that can be done in so many different ways.  The last two years most of my work has focused on HIV/AIDS in Africa, with setting up surveillance systems to monitor the epidemic, with helping set up medical record systems to ensure continuity of care, etc.  Culminated with working in Malawi for 6 weeks over the summer before switching back to a domestic HIV position.  But there are a lot of agencies that do good work abroad and they need assistance in terms of manpower here and there, funding, donations, services, etc.  many ways to contribute and even small stuff helps.

Its easy to get overwhelmed by the enormity of the problem but you can't let yourself think like that because it will stun you into inaction.  You just have to remember that the largest problems are made up of smaller conquerer problems that you can do something about.  Even if its just in your own back yard.

For me, it helps me keep things in perspective.  my troubles and complaints are not that big.  My annoyances with treatment of VL blips aren't that much of a worry when there's so much more worthy of alarm out there.
Number of years positive:    Six
Number of cheesy pictures in POZ issues:  Two  (the camera adds 20 lbs, seriously!)
Number of times I wish I was back on the west coast:  Countless

Offline DCGUY2007

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 12:19:06 pm »
Three responses already Dragonette and I see that so far your post has been viewed 98 times and counting. Your post in a small way is already helping change.

Videos like this one remind me of how hard life can really be for people. I used to volunteer for the Hiv clinic here. It helped me take my mind off my own problems for a while.  After watching this video I need to see what I can do ,no matter how small, for others in countries like Africa.

Offline srmn98

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 07:19:21 pm »
Hey Drag,

Thank you for posting that. It is something everybody should see.  DCguy is right, you are enacting some sort of change just by posting. By talking about it with people, by raising awareness. It is hard to feel like one person can make a difference in this oh so big world ...  but I figure if we educate one person each day or help work to change things in one small way every day ...  we are making some sort of difference. If we all do it, the effect could be overwhelming.

:)

sara

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 05:54:51 am »
hi guys

thanks for all your responses. i dont really know why i wrote this.

i found a intersting documentary: "miss HIV stigma free" - Dutch speaking video, interviews in English

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7l-ZNDboyU

I realize I could post a HIV related link every day here, so trying to contain it within one thread...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 06:39:53 am by Dragonette »
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.