Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:18:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 360
Total: 362

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Co-Q10  (Read 18524 times)

Offline justin

Co-Q10
« on: November 22, 2011, 08:13:51 pm »
Hi all,

I don't post often but wanted to pass this on.

My wife & I had read about Co-Q10 possibly helping to raise CD-4 levels.

Since I take it daily for years for heart health ( I am neg)
She started taking it a few months back about 6 months + now

Anyway I know none can say for sure it it the reason but
her recent 6 month test shows CD4 went from 600 range to near 900

For the last 3 years she is always 617-670

Now she is 891 CD4 count

Again I cannot claim it is 100% due to the Co-Q10 but that is the only
thing that she has changed in these last 6 months.

Could be a coincidence but I will post again in 6 months.

We take the inexpensive Co-Q10 they sell at Walmart
Spring Valley brand 100mg a day

Costs about $27 dollars for two 60 count softgel bottles.
So 120 soft gels for $27

Sorry if I do not reply as we leave for Asia in a few days & I do
not usually check the forum.

Take Care & Happy Holidays

PS: Mods sorry of this might be the wrong sub forum?
Please feel free to move if so.
Thanks
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 08:28:39 pm by justin »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Co-Q10
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 10:08:08 am »

PS: Mods sorry of this might be the wrong sub forum?
Please feel free to move if so.
Thanks

Justin, normally I would leave your thread in the Someone I Care About forum (because you are hiv negative but writing about something to do with your positive wife) but I've moved it to the Nutrition forum because people looking for information on supplements would look there.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline buginme2

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 01:46:57 am »

My wife & I had read about Co-Q10 possibly helping to raise CD-4 levels.

Can you post the artice?  I have searched online and cannot find anything that discusses CoQ10 raising cd4 counts.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline sam66

• Keep The Faith ; Fight The Fight
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 06:24:10 am »

Thanks for the post,  seems like an interesting substance, I will have to do more research on it,

I found this article on The Body    http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Nutrition/Q151165.html

from way back in 2003

" Brad S. Lichtenstein, N.D. wrote a great article on mitochondrial toxicity that included excellent information about Coenzyme Q-10 (go to www.thebody.com/step/stepix.html)

CoQ10 is an essential factor in the electron transport chain, the pathway from which ATP and metabolic energy is derived, which occurs within the mitochondria. CoQ10 is a strong antioxidant that resides in the lipid membrane surrounding the mitochondria and protects it against free radical damage. Although the body can generate its own CoQ10, supplementation has been shown to be warranted in persons with HIV. CoQ10 is synthesized in the cells of every living organism in nature. The body produces CoQ10 in a 17-step process that requires riboflavin (B2), niacinamide (B3), pantothenic acid (B5), pyridoxine (B6), cobalamine (B12), folic acid, vitamin C, and other trace minerals. Due to its complex and intricate requirements, nutritional deficiencies with any one of these vitamins can disrupt mitochondrial energy production. Generally, symptoms of CoQ10 deficiency affect cardiovascular health in the form of congestive heart failure, stroke, arrhythmias, high blood pressure, mitral valve prolapse, and cardiomyopathy. Additionally, lack of energy, gingivitis, and overall weakened immunity are symptoms of CoQ10 deficiency.

Many medications directly deplete the body of CoQ10. While antiretrovirals have not been studied for their effect on CoQ10 levels, both antiretrovirals and antibiotics, such as Bactrim and Dapson, deplete the body of the B-vitamin family. Other medications, specifically cholesterol-lowering medications, anti-hypertensive medications like beta-blockers, and some tricyclic antidepressants like amitriptyline (at times used for treatment of neuropathy) all directly deplete the body of CoQ10, and thereby negatively impact the mitochondria. Studies of HIV-positive individuals who are either on antiretroviral medications or are drug naive reveal CoQ10 deficiencies.

Supplementation with CoQ10 has shown decreased incidence of opportunistic infections and improved immune parameters, measured by a reduction in symptoms such as night sweats, fever, diarrhea, weight loss, and lymphadenopathy.

Again, no RDA has been established for CoQ10; yet, current recommendations range from 30 to 120 mg per day, depending upon the severity of symptoms and health status. No side effects have been reported for CoQ10.

Riboflavin or B2, is a water-soluble vitamin, that, like other B vitamins, is not stored well in the body so must be ingested daily. Riboflavin belongs to a category of yellow colored pigments called flavins (the reason urine changes color when taking B vitamin supplements). When riboflavin interacts with phosphoric acid it becomes a part of two essential enzymes. These enzymes are necessary for the conversion of carbohydrates to energy in the form of ATP within the mitochondria of the cell. Furthermore, deficiencies in riboflavin will exacerbate CoQ10 deficiencies. For these reasons, riboflavin supplementation has been considered in the treatment of mitochondrial damage. Many medications, such as antiretrovirals, antibiotics, oral contraceptives, and the tricyclic antidepressant noritriptiyline result in direct riboflavin deficiencies."

december 2007 diagnosed +ve ,

Offline justin

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 08:27:20 pm »
Hi folks,

Sorry for the slow reply as we have been in Asia

Ann....no problem & I think this is a good place for the topic. I was not sure when I posted.

buginme2 sorry I do not have the article nor recall where I found it.
The reason I remembered & had my wife try it is for years I took CoQ10
when I was a triathlete. Back then I had read many benefits so used it & at the time
felt it did in fact aid in my recovery after hard workouts. I also as I said continued to take it for the heart benefits it claims in many articles.

Sam66...Thanks for the read...Very interesting & as a side not my wife tales 100mg a day

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 12:30:04 am »
I have been taking 200 mgs of Co Q 10 for a while now to see if it might not help some of the problems I have had with mitrochondrial damage.

I have never had a side effect from taking it and my CD4s range from 900 to 1,200, which isn't bad. Can' say this is what has been doing it, but it apparently doesn't hurt.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline rd

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 12:57:31 pm »
There are two forms of Co-Q10:  Ubiquinone and Ubiquinol.    Which form has the CD4 raising benefits ?

Offline emex27

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 05:32:44 pm »
My CD4 count was 593 in April 2011.

I started taking Cellfood Oxygen for life, 25 drops 4 x a day and took it till about December. I thought it would take away the frequent Herpes outbreaks but it did not... It extended the outbreaks from 6-8 weeks intervals to 8-10 weeks.

My CD4 was 612 in Nov 2011. My D3 level was however very low...  8.28 as I have been staying out of the Sun. I started taking D3 supplements 20,000 IU and Co-Q10 200mg a day and today I got my CD4 results..... It is 935!!!

Viral Load has remained UD since I started meds in Oct. 2008.

I thank all of you for this great post. It has helped me a lot.
Psalm 27

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 07:14:02 pm »
I thought it would take away the frequent Herpes outbreaks but it did not...
with frequent herpes outbreaks, you might want to check with your doctor about taking a daily dose of acyclovir as a preventative. Not only will it usually stop the outbreaks (my 4-6 outbreaks a yr are totally gone, except for one every couple yrs or so in times of intense stress), but acyclovir has mild antiretroviral properties. (oh it's not good enough to use in place of HAART but it's helpful to staying pleasantly UD)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 07:38:07 pm »
I used to take a daily CoQ10 supplement for several years. I stopped. It is one of the more expensive supplements around. I don't think the evidence about the CD4 raising benefits is strong.

One thing I can say about it is that it would consistently make me puke if I took it on an empty stomach in the morning. I was taking it in capsule form and I still remember the taste of the powder coming back up ... Not a good thing ! There are several other supplements that have this effect on me, EGCG is another.

I would say you can safely skip it unless you have some other issues (heart) that may warrant taking it. It may be helpful to take it on days you exercise. HIV alone is probably not a sufficient reason.

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 07:42:08 pm »
My CD4 was 612 in Nov 2011. My D3 level was however very low...  8.28 as I have been staying out of the Sun. I started taking D3 supplements 20,000 IU and Co-Q10 200mg a day and today I got my CD4 results..... It is 935!!!

I doubt your CD4 count increase is related to the Coq10. More likely the D3. What's your new D3 level now ?

I take about 12,000 IU a day of D3 and that is quite a bit, but I determined that is what I need after many D3 levels tests. I get my D3 level checked with almost all my labs. I try to keep it in the 40 to 60 range. It was 12 originally.

Offline emex27

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 07:57:03 am »
I doubt your CD4 count increase is related to the Coq10. More likely the D3. What's your new D3 level now.

I have not done a D3 test yet... I will do it next month and I will post the result.

Nevertheless, I think it does not hurt me to continue with Co-Q10 and D3 and I hope my CD4 count will continue to rise... It gives me some mental satisfaction too.

thanks
Psalm 27

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 07:52:17 pm »
I have not done a D3 test yet... I will do it next month and I will post the result.

Nevertheless, I think it does not hurt me to continue with Co-Q10 and D3 and I hope my CD4 count will continue to rise... It gives me some mental satisfaction too.

thanks

Agree it likely does not hurt except your wallet in the case of the CoQ10.

Re: the D3, you do need to monitor your levels. While it takes a LOT of D3 to get an overdose, 20,000 IU a day is still not negligible. The ideal D3 level to shoot for is between 30-70 ng/ml.
You usually need to take a bit less in the summer vs winter.

Offline Wahoo1

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 03:48:15 pm »
First time posting but I have been visiting this forum since diagnosed in late jan of this yr.  In feb my labs showed 379 cd4 count.  I started complera then, and the next lab showed 419 which was disappointing even though I was undetectable.  The next lab I was 410 which was even more disappointing, even though the dr tells me the important thing is being undetectable.  After that I was reading this post and started 100 mg of CoQ10 as well as a multi vitamin and a probiotic. I take the three vits and med every day with lunch.  Just went to the dr yesterday and cd4= 492.  I know.. I know. I'm relatively new to treatment and it is the only thing that is saving my health but I am going to continue the vits for a lil while then I might stop and see what happens.  Thanks for all the info shared on these forums. It has been a great help for me to educate myself and have some piece of mind.  I am taking this relatively well and from what I have gathered we stand a great shot at living normal lifespans and seeing better treatment in the future. Sorry for rambling.  Thanks again.

Offline darryaz

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 04:46:11 pm »
I think I'll try it, just for fun.  Gaining a couple hundred CD-4 points would make me feel like a rock star.  And if it doesn't work all I've lost is 20 bucks.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 07:46:49 pm »
379 ... 419 ... 410 ... 492
cd4 counts can change by 100 pts a day; with the highest counts in the late afternoon and lowest counts in the morning. even if you had your labs done at different times of the day, perhaps causing a difference in counts, this 113 range over 4 tests doesn't really attest to any great change yet. However, the upward graph and average of 425 so far bodes well for you.

Gaining a couple hundred CD-4 points
scientifically, nothing but a recovering immune system has been proven to provide a change of 100's of cd4s ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline darryaz

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 08:17:23 pm »
scientifically, nothing but a recovering immune system has been proven to provide a change of 100's of cd4s ;)

As I said, JUST FOR FUN.

Offline elf

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 11:49:04 am »
It depends on a person. Every person has a different ''drug'' that makes their CD4 go high.

My latest combo: fluvoxamine + melatonin
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16893613

Offline sam66

• Keep The Faith ; Fight The Fight
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 06:12:51 am »
I've been taking it daily for the last 4 months.

no's   cd4 went up from 520 ( was always around this figure since I started treatment )  to 730.

however no change in cd4% ,remains at 19%

I think I feel better for it
december 2007 diagnosed +ve ,

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 01:00:57 pm »
It depends on a person. Every person has a different ''drug'' that makes their CD4 go high.

I wish mine were poppers and champagne.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline darryaz

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 03:43:37 pm »
I wish mine were poppers and champagne.

Krispy Kremes and Gin

Offline NY2011

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 06:29:47 pm »
LOL! poppers and champagne.  too funny
10/26/2011 - SEROCONVERSION (fever+rash, 104 degrees F)
10/31/2011 - CD4= 154  VL>500,000 
10/31/2011 - started on Truvada+Prezista+Norvir
12/14/2011 - CD4= 750 VL=6412 (45%)
01/27/2012 - switched to Atripla
04/23/2012 - CD4=1,221 VL= 140  (47%)
06/22/2012 - CD4=1,224 VL= ud    (49%)
12/18/2012 - CD4=1,031 VL= ud    (51%)
09/16/2013 - CD4=1,151 VL= ud   (49%)
03/26/2014 - CD4=1,050 VL= ud
11/25/2014 - CD4=1,335 VL= ud
12/01/2015 - CD4=1,115 VL= ud (55%)
11/22/2016 - CD4=1,071 VL= ud (52%)
06/01/2017 - CD4=1,014 VL= ud (53%)
switched to Biktarvy in 2018
04/23/2019 - CD4=1,072 VL= ud (52%)
01/15/2020 - CD4=  925  VL= ud (50%)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.