Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:44:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 339
Total: 339

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Volunteering for Research Vaccine  (Read 3995 times)

Offline Gio

Volunteering for Research Vaccine
« on: March 21, 2012, 10:03:07 am »
Not sure if this goes in this site or not but oh well....

A couple of days ago I received an email from AMfar in joining clinical research on Vaccines on HIV positive individuals.  I read the article went to the website and thought to myself why not..   Trust the decision to become a human guinea pig was not taken lightly and i understood the risk.  Heres were it gets wierd!  I called the university spoke with an individual and left them my name and number.  Before the end of our conversation he asked me again what is my name and number!   >:( Academia at its best.  I did not hear anything back.  I followed my call with an email they advised again to call the number.  I called several times left a message and nothing.. My final call i asked if they had all the volunteers and why is it so difficult to get someone to say yah or nay..  Dumbfounded silence by the person taking the information...  Now I'm just not even bothering anymore.. 

Offline buginme2

Re: Volunteering for Research Vaccine
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 04:59:57 pm »
The clinical trials I have seen seem to come directly from HIV doctors participating in research.  At the medical center I go to, my doctor does a lot of HIV Related cancer studies and there is another doctor who is doing a number of vaccine studies in HIV positive individuals. 

You may be having a hard time because you are contacting the University yourself?  Is there a doctor in your area that is participating in the trial you can contact directly?  Where are you at? Ive noticed a lot of clinical trials seem to be concentrated among a short list of cities. 

There is always clinicaltrials.gov for a listing of trials.   You can search by city.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 10:13:16 pm »
Not sure if this goes in this site or not but oh well....

A couple of days ago I received an email from AMfar in joining clinical research on Vaccines on HIV positive individuals.  I read the article went to the website and thought to myself why not..   Trust the decision to become a human guinea pig was not taken lightly and i understood the risk.  Heres were it gets wierd!  I called the university spoke with an individual and left them my name and number.  Before the end of our conversation he asked me again what is my name and number!   >:( Academia at its best.  I did not hear anything back.  I followed my call with an email they advised again to call the number.  I called several times left a message and nothing.. My final call i asked if they had all the volunteers and why is it so difficult to get someone to say yah or nay..  Dumbfounded silence by the person taking the information...  Now I'm just not even bothering anymore..

Gio

Since it's not clear how you got the number you decided to call, take bug's advice regarding clinicaltrials.gov OR go to the University conducting the research and see if they have a site or registry for the studies being conducted there. Put in some key search words and you should find what you are looking for IF the study is open to enrollment. It is possible that you read something in advance of the study's opening but most investigators don't let things go to print before enrollment is open to prevent what you seem to have experienced. Again, you don't give all the info. Don't be too quick to damn academia -- most people involved in recruitment are ready for such calls, are quick to take down a name and number and have a next step to offer --either to refer you to someone else or, most often, do a preliminary screening over the phone.  May I encourage you to do a little more sleuthing and see what you can turn up before you walk away from a study that has obviously piqued your curiosity?  If you can post the link to the article here, it might be possible for a couple of us to give you further guidance. Em
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 10:15:21 pm by emeraldize »

Offline Gio

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 09:43:13 pm »
Thanks guys...  yeah my Doctor and his office do offer clinical trials or can refer me to someone...  btw i am located in Georgia...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.