Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:47:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772954
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 462
Total: 463

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Getting older and WAY out of shape.  (Read 12120 times)

Offline AndyArrow

Getting older and WAY out of shape.
« on: May 11, 2008, 02:08:57 am »
So, I finally decided to make some time to fix the lawn mower and tackle the grass.  It was getting pretty high but I was doing a remarkably good job of ignoring it for the past week or so.  Eventually, I broke down to the neighbors stares and decided I would at least do the front yard and then think about tackling the back some other day.  I'm very good at procrastinating.

I mow the front and come inside to wash my hands and cool down.  I look in the mirror and my face is bright red!  The sweat is just pouring down.  I start to lay down on the sofa and the next thing I know I've blacked out and I'm sprawled out on the living room carpet.

Since, I prefer living in denial I just decide to get up and pretend like nothing happened.  Later that night when I decide to take a hot bath I noticed my shirt was all wet and clinging to my chest.  I just figured it was all wet with sweat.  Then I looked down and my shirt was full of blood.  Somehow I must have pulled my feeding tube really hard when I passed out and it was now oozing this nasty brown stuff & blood.  I'm not really fond of blood or oozy stuff so I started feeling dizzy all over again just looking at it.  Luckily, the dizziness quickly passed and I was able to soak and clean all that nasty stuff up and get the bleeding to stop.

Maybe next time I should just try to pay someone to mow the lawn, but I'm poor, cheap & stubborn so it's probably not very likely.  No great pearls of wisdom here.  I just needed to vent and now it's time to go change the dressing around the tube because it's oozing stuff again.

Desperately looking for a cute yard man who works cheap.   :D

AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
Re: Getting older and WAY out of shape.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 02:25:06 am »
oh, Andy..
I'm so sorry. How hot was it outside? and how long were you out in the heat?

I too have divided the front and back yard into different days. And, I wait until after 4pm, when it has cooled down a bit. I still got red in the face but I did not vomit like the last time I did front and back.

pace yourself...do you have family near? I'm asking as you might want to consider getting "help, I've fallen and I can't get up"  We've got one for Katie and she has only used it once back when I was a member of the 'workforce'  It's a silly commercial, but it really does give peace of mind and it really works. It has even been improved to where it has an intercom so you can talk to the responder from where ever you are are incapacitated.

I just hate the thought of you on the floor like that.
ronnie
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 07:42:40 am »
Good Lord, Andy.  Did you have to get medical attention? 

I might suggest contacting your ASO to see if they have a volunteer there who could mow your lawn for you.  I, like Ronnie, don't like the thought of you being on the floor either; especially with your feeding tube out. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 09:34:02 am »
Is it possible to look into an apartment where you don't have to deal with lawn/gardening issues?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 01:22:59 am »
Thanks for all your kind words.  It actually wasn't hot out (as Betty knows since she is kinda sorta up my way) it was cool and kind of overcast when I started mowing.

I didn't seek any medical attention.  I'm pretty good at avoiding doctors unless I absolutely have to go and even then I fuss and moan. 

Last summer when I was really sick and weighed about 80lbs (which at 6'3 wasn't pretty) my family helped and did all the yard stuff.  I think I must have pulled the tube with the mower handle or passing out.  It is still oozing a little more then it should but I'm not bleeding anymore.  The pain is really more just discomfort now so things are good.

There are apartments close to me since I live by one of Purdue University's satellite campuses but for right now I really like my little house.

[attachment deleted by admin]
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline rondrond

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 03:57:57 am »

I didn't seek any medical attention.  I'm pretty good at avoiding doctors unless I absolutely have to go and even then I fuss and moan. 

It is still oozing a little more then it should but I'm not bleeding anymore.  The pain is really more just discomfort now so things are good.

Andy, if you concentrate real hard you will be able to see me with staring at you, with my arms crossed and tapping my foot.....now you get yourself to the doctor today and have them look at you...don't make Betty have to drive over and give you a push in the right direction....
ronnie

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 10:33:25 am »
Yeah, Andy.  Believe me, you wouldn't want to deal with me having to come there.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline rondrond

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 11:51:42 am »
Seriously, Andy,
you have been working too long on getting this tube removd to have any silly setbacks. Just go and let them look and see what they think about it still oozing...you know it shouldn't be doing that....
do I have to call you Mother?... ::)
ronnie

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 11:59:02 am »
I abhor lawn mowers.  I used to mow about 10 different yards when I was 12.  It's all I did every summer.  Being gay I was horribly meticulous about the entire process.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mjmel

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 08:08:37 pm »
A small, secondhand riding lawn mower would do the trick here. Your yard looks big enough for one. I strongly suggest you do not push a mower in the spring or summer heat in your condition. (the tube) Too much, Andy.

I did note that you declared poverty.

No way would I do this if I were in your situation. It would get bailed into hay before I'd push myself like that.

Mike
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 08:12:02 pm by mjmel »

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 12:13:09 am »
Yes, Betty I would much rather meet under nicer circumstances & preferably somewhere with good lighting  :)

Seriously, Andy,
you have been working too long on getting this tube removd to have any silly setbacks. Just go and let them look and see what they think about it still oozing...you know it shouldn't be doing that....
do I have to call you Mother?... ::)
ronnie

Actually, it always oozes a little bit since there are not stitches or anything ... they just make a hole and push the tube through so some stuff always leaks but it was doing more than normal.  It seems to be better but if it's not I'll check with the doctors tomorrow. 

And whatever you do don't call my mother.  I would never hear the end of it.  Once when she decided I wasn't calling her enough she send me a plaque with a little poem on front that read "In all the world there is no other any dearer than my mother"  on the back was her phone number!  She is very good a guilt!

AA

Offline rondrond

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 12:18:45 am »
LOL. Ok...we'll leave your mother out of it.  :D
glad to hear that you have it under control. 
ronnie

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 09:36:59 am »
Andy, guilt and compassion are mothers' best qualities.  I know.  I practice both on my daughter all the time. ;)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 11:58:11 am »
Sheesh Andy!

I go out of town for a few days and look what happens! :o

I'm glad you've got things more or less under control.

Now, I know you are not exactly rolling in dough, but isn't there a cute houseboy du jour in the neighborhood who would do this for you at a reduced rate?

Do you have any nieces or nephews you can guilt into helping out?

Just thinking that if this is happening now, what are you going to do when it gets hot?

Do take care of yourself.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 07:37:53 pm »
Andy,

You just take care of yourself. We want you around for a long, long time !! There are certainly things that I have to be careful at these days. It seems I have to pace myself a little more each day. Summertime is pretty much here in Florida, which means when I step outside, it's going to feel as though I've been hit with a brick ! I have to be careful, even when I am out washing the car. I get lightheaded at times. 2003, was a bad year, thought I was going to pass out cold in the shower a few times. Pace yourself, Pace yourself....

All the best----Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 01:51:25 am »
How incredibly sweet of you all to care.  That really makes me feel good.

The area around my tube looks a little funny.  There is a little more skin pushing out around the tube then there used to be and it's a kind of reddish in color.  There is however NO blood and it doesn't seem to be oozing as much as it was.  Most importantly, there is NO pain. 

Since my GI people are 3hrs away (and it would be hard to get an immediate appointment anyway) I'm gonna hold of until my next scheduled visit.  I have another procedure on the 3rd of June.  -- Be warned Betty I might post about it again--  :D  If things get worse there is always the emergency room.

I was warned that the Amitriptyline, that I'm on, could cause dizziness so I'm not too concerned about that either.  I'll just have to pace myself like everyone said.

I don't have any young nieces or nephews around.  My youngest niece graduating from Ball State and interning with the state board of health.  I will definitely keep my eyes open for a cute yard guy.

Hugs to All
AA

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.