Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:42:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773209
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 525
Total: 526

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Poll

Should we restore the Lipo Forum?

Yes
26 (56.5%)
No
8 (17.4%)
I don't care either way
12 (26.1%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Should we restore the Lipo Forum?  (Read 7490 times)

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
Should we restore the Lipo Forum?
« on: April 11, 2007, 09:58:08 am »
Some of our members have been complaining about our recent merger of the Treatment, Side Effects, and Lipodystrophy Forums into a single forum called "Treatment & Side Effects."  They want the lipo forum back.  See their thread here.

The reason we merged them was simply to reduce category clutter.  When someone first comes to the forums, it's probably a better user experience if they don't have an overwhelming number of choices of where to get started.  With the recent addition of the Women's forum and the LTS forum, we decided to try consolidating some of us less trafficked forums.

This has resulted in a bit of a backlash from those who frequent our previous Lipo forum.  We're open to restoring it, but wanted to get a sense of what others think about this issue.  So chime in here, and vote in the poll above.

Peter

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Should we restore the Lipo Forum?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 10:02:36 am »
No.

The consolidation of those forums into one was a good idea.

MtD

Offline Central79

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 10:03:09 am »
Hey - I'm reposting what I posted in the other thread that got started about this:

Hey

I agree with Matt (newt). As a newbie, not experiencing lipo, the predominant function of that forum for me was to scare the crap out of myself. However...

I think lipo is an incredibly important, stigmatising side-effect that deserves it's own forum. It has a massive emotional impact that these forums exist to serve. I feel like a bunch of people who are suffering from this, and who need to stick together and offer each other emotional support, have been cut off from one another by this move. In a forum like this, how can that not be a mistake?

I know that lipo is becoming less common. I know that there are a variety of options out there that are available to correct it. But I think that as long as a generation of HIVers who have been through the hell of zerit and AZT are around, they need to be supported. This move seems to head in the opposite direction to the idea for a forum for LTSs, which has won wide acceptance.

Lipo is far from dead. Anybody who followed CROI will have seen the disturbing study linking sustiva to lipo when compared with kaletra, regardless of NRTI background regimen.

Matt.
Diagnosed January 2006
26/1/06 - 860 (22%), VL > 500,000
24/4/06 - 820 (24.6%), VL 158,000
13/7/06 - 840 (22%), VL 268,000
1/11/06 - 680 (21%), VL 93,100
29/1/07 - 1,020 (27.5%), VL 46,500
15/5/07 - 1,140 (22.8%), VL not done.
13/10/07 - 759 (23.2%), VL 170,000
6/11/07 - 630 (25%), VL 19,324
14/1/08 - 650 (21%), VL 16,192
15/4/08 - 590 (21%), VL 40, 832

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 10:10:26 am »
From a personal point of view I'm on the fence. But for the sake of those who really want the forum I say yes. If enough people are already missing it and voicing their disappointment so soon after it's merger with the Treatment/Side Effects, then I say what harm is one more forum really going to cause?

Melia
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline David_CA

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 10:14:58 am »
I can see why the Lipo forum was merged into the T & S E forum.  Fortunately, it's not something I deal with at the moment.  If it's really that important to those that do have to deal with it, and it seems to be, then maybe it should be it's own forum.  I'd rather have that as a forum and merge the Someone I Care About forum into something else if we need to reduce clutter. 

Maybe an alternative would be to change how the forums are organized... perhaps some category / heading with T & S E, Lipo, Nutrition, and Activism could be created (can this be done with this forum software?).  This would make things easier to find by better organization, but leave the forum structure intact.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline mjmel

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 10:20:30 am »
Vote: No need to restore to it's own forum. My search for lipo information/intervention is what brought me to this site/forum.
My thoughts are that the search button (at top of each page...the one with magnifying glass icon) brings up relevant information within this forum.

edited: spell check
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 10:41:08 am by mjmel »

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 10:23:49 am »
Hi,

thank you Peter for submitting this to the larger world.

I stated why I want it back here: http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=11063.msg138374#msg138374.

I understand you don't want to end up with a galaxy of forums and suggested a possible solution:

1) bin CSI - Ann told us it would happen

2) Merge AIDS activism with Living with. It will get more exposure. (And for those who don't read it, believe me, there is, at least at the moment, potential for drama there too :P)

3) Reestablish Lipo as a distinct forum

Since you've added 3 forums recently, the net result of such operation would be +1 forum overall. Not exactly the milky way... and you would keep us lipo sufferers smiling.

Yeah I know, we tend to do that anyway so people don't see our sagging jowls ;D, but this one would definitely be heartfelt.

mes 2 centimes

Pat

>:( the spell checker still doesn't recognize lipo but it does recognize dildo  :o  and... MacDonald's  >:(

edited to add a smiley... guess which
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 11:19:42 am »
My thoughts are that the search button (at top of each page...the one with magnifying glass icon) brings up relevant information within this forum.

edited: spell check

I don't know how I ever missed that search button on the top of the page. I never seen that before, or I never noticed it. I was always using the search , in the bottom left column. :P I must be going out of my head !!

Anyway.... I voted yes on restoring the Lipo forum.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 11:49:20 am »
I posted No...leave the organization as it is now.

That said, I don't have any severe lipo issues at this time.   I am therefore basing my vote strictly on site-economy.  So weigh that into my vote as well. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline allanq

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 12:18:38 pm »
I would like to see the Lipodystrophy forum restored.

I tried using the search button at the top of the page. I entered "lipodystrophy" and found that the results did not include a great number of posts related to lipodystrophy. (Am I doing something wrong?) I don't know the number of topics and posts in the old lipo forum, but I recall it did get a fairly good usage.

Because lipodystrophy is a side effect that is readily apparent to others, it affects our appearance and self-esteem in ways that most other side effects don't.

I notice that the forum for "Someone I Care About Has HIV" currently has 246 posts in 23 topics, which seems fairly low. Perhaps this forum can be folded into the "Living With HIV" forum. (I don't know how long the "Someone I Care About" forum has been around; if it's been here for just a few months, that may account for the low participation.)

Allan

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 12:25:03 pm »
Because some people will write "lipo" or "lipoatrophy" or "lipodystrophy" it's a bit of a no-brainer to me at least that the search rationalization is crap.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 12:27:22 pm »
If it is to be reinstated I suggest it is renamed "Lipodystrophy & Metabolic Syndrome".

People new to this game who don't understand metabolic syndrome, go find out, you will live a long time and it is more likely than not to be in the picture, hopefully later rather than sooner. But, having seen someone on firstline Sustiva go from nice gym toned and tanned neck to Rocky Horror hump in 6 weeks, it ain't a thing of the past.  Or elevated lipids, diabetes etc etc etc.  Sorry to be depressing and untouchyfeely.  There's the realness of it all.

We hopes lipo is a minority and slow moving aspect of life, but it is, still, a unique, defining aspect of this illness.

I just want to commend PS etc's responsiveness and thoughtful management of these forums.  Generally I think the additions/reorganisations work (even the temp CSI forum, as it happens, I find falls in line with GIPA principles).

Time for a beer, long day.

- matt

PS - I am not here and I didn;t mention copyright  ;)
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 01:42:28 pm »
i do think lipo is a separate side effects within it's self. in my opinion it should have it's own forum. it is a side effect of some treatments but also from HIV. i don't really know if it falls into a treatment question category.
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline frenchpat

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 02:17:19 pm »
Wondering if you could make this topic a stickie?

Pat

Offline mjmel

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 02:40:37 pm »
I submitt this for your consideration:

Using the search button (above User login/with magnifying glass icon): Press Button
Search For: type either lipo, lipoatrophy, or lipdystrophy in search box
Next, choose: Match All Words
Options: Show results as messages
Search Order: most relevant first
Leave check box checked for Check All
Click Search Button

Results:
Lipo = 7 pages
Lipodystrophy = 4 pages
Lipoatrophy = 4 pages

The only point I wish to make here is information can be found on a given subject. The advantage of the former Lipodystrophy forum is data was not intergrated with other subject matters.

edit: post modified

« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 03:31:44 pm by mjmel »

Offline allanq

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 03:33:58 pm »
The search function has very limited usefulness. It is not a workable alternative to a separate forum for lipodystrophy. As Mike (mjmel) pointed out, the results depend on what particular words you enter. Entering Lipo, Lipodystrophy, and Lipoatrophy all yield different results. There are plenty of other searches that could yield useful information on lipodystrophy. Some examples:

Sculptra
PMMA
ArteFill
Bioalcamid
facial wasting
buffalo hump
liposuction
Clinic Estetica
Tijuana
Dr. Serra

Another drawback of the search function is that it has no way of knowing whether the word in your search is just used in an incidental manner. Therefore, it returns many results that are only marginally connected to the subject.

Allan

Offline frenchpat

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 04:41:05 pm »
Or,

someone could post interesting info's but mistype keywords (how many different ways of spelling BioAlcamid have been witnessed already?). Go find them with the search tool then...

Furthermore, I notice that when browsing through topics within a given forum, I do not necessarily select the ones to read based on their title or when they've last been updated. My criteria can be manifold (author, title, etc...). Not exactly random but sometimes free associating.
Some topics will contain posts that will link to another post located further down, on another page or in another forum even; this way of navigating is precisely what we have when lipo is treated as a forum, and it is completely lost if all we have is search tools, however good.
I don't want to search for words or info's, I want to READ about them.

As I stated previously, I am not against reorganizing the forums and think that Peter has a valid point in trying to keep a limited number of them. (Besides, it is his website :D).

There are alternatives to explore if an effective, yet user-friendly merging of forums is to occur. I've offered suggestions already and here's one more to consider: why not merge Research with Treatments? Progress in research is leading to new treatments; I don't see this as very far fetched. I wish those pro and against consider this broader approach to the question of having a Lipo forum or not.

Hope this helps,

Pat

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 06:05:26 pm »
I went into the Lipo Forum a few months ago after seeing my face on the local news channel.  I recognized my voice, my words and my thought process but, did not recognize the face.  My request for treatment was declined at the clinic where I receive my care but I was referred to Dr. Marcus Conant in San Francisco by both the clinic and a member of the Forums.

More recently, I was talking to our ADAP clerk at the clinic who has the same issues.  We were both on Trizivir and Sustiva.  His provider changed his Trizivir to Epzicon and now his face is restoring to his original beauty and no side effects.  My reality of the day is, I got more from the Lipo Forum that I did from CSI NY Forum.  If space is really a problem, I woul;d suggest dropping the TV fiction thread and let the script writers do their work.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Robert

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 08:35:09 pm »
I voted Yes.

Lipo can have devastating effects and should be addressed separately.  It just not in the same category as Sustiva dreams, fatigue, lethargy etc.

robert

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 09:39:22 pm »
I voted Yes.

Some of the people who voted no, do not have lipodystrophy, and perhaps if they did, they would be more akin to having all of the lipo information at their fingertips instead of having to wade through posts of every other topic like now they are combined with treatments/side effects etc etc.. The countless posts on nausea, diarrhoea, rashes and what ever else we all tend to deal with. 

We don't all have to deal with lipo, and for those that do, surely it's better for those to have the information they need at their finger tips. 

It has had it's own forum since forever, so why fix what ain't broken.  My vote is to put it back please.

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007, 11:52:58 pm »
I think it is useful to have the lipodystrophy forum by itself.  The questions, answers, and other info shared in that forum are not that easy to recreate/rehash compared to those being raised in the old treatment and side effects forums.  Thus, it probably needs to be more easily searched for.  It also helps, not only for those asking, but for those directing information, if these threads were available more readily.  Even though the actual postings may not be as active, one needs to look at the general traffic, including views of the threads.

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 08:26:09 am »
yes, please - is important, relevant to both the physical & mental health of an increasing number of people

kate "those aren't twigs, they're my arms"

edited to add - more inclusive title, to encompass metabolic syndrome, good idea

« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 08:31:11 am by penguin »

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 11:50:26 am »
Okay, the Yeas have it.  I've relaunched the lipo forum.  However, it's a cumbersome process moving the previous lipo-related threads back into the restored forum.  I've only moved obvious ones for now.  I'll start a thread in the Lipo forum and ask folks to post the URLs of threads currently in the Treatments & Side Effects forum that should be moved back to the Lipo forum.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Peter

Offline Central79

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2007, 11:57:58 am »
Many thanks Peter. That's terrific.
Diagnosed January 2006
26/1/06 - 860 (22%), VL > 500,000
24/4/06 - 820 (24.6%), VL 158,000
13/7/06 - 840 (22%), VL 268,000
1/11/06 - 680 (21%), VL 93,100
29/1/07 - 1,020 (27.5%), VL 46,500
15/5/07 - 1,140 (22.8%), VL not done.
13/10/07 - 759 (23.2%), VL 170,000
6/11/07 - 630 (25%), VL 19,324
14/1/08 - 650 (21%), VL 16,192
15/4/08 - 590 (21%), VL 40, 832

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 12:20:00 pm »
democracy+++
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mjmel

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2007, 12:59:31 pm »
Swell !!! OK, I secretly wanted to swtich my NO vote. Remember: I can switch sides if I've a mind to.

Offline frenchpat

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2007, 01:08:49 pm »
Monsieur Peter Staley,

merci beaucoup!

Pat

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.