Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:43:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 363
Total: 365

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: we have a visitor  (Read 7148 times)

Offline Nadine

we have a visitor
« on: August 22, 2006, 07:56:29 am »
OMG!!! Look what I found in one of my flower beds.  While she is kind of pretty, she sure is very scarey!! :o
I've decided to leave her alone and let her do her thing. She weaves a beautiful web.
My son threw a large ant in her web yesterday, you should have seen her attack it!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dachshund

Re: we have a visitor
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 08:06:00 am »
Oh please don't hurt her...that's natures pest control.

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 08:09:47 am »
 :o  :o  :o I hate spiders and if I found that around my house you'd hear my girlish screams from Ohio! Jeffrey comes to my rescue when I see spiders. Lets be honest, all bugs!

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 08:41:50 am »
She's an Orb Weaver of some description and she's quite lovely. I have a great fondness for spiders. Except for Funnel Web Spiders.

They suck. ;)

MtD

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 08:52:06 am »
   I see your spider and raise you a hundred...   

It must be spider season,   I just couldnt resist trying out the Macro function on my camera in this little nest of love I found in My backyard last week...

Guess I wont need to but that bug Zapper....
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 08:54:13 am by Lwood »
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 09:47:16 am »
I love spiders too and my garden is absolutely full of them. They seem to be quite intellegent as well - they use the washing line that runs above the path as an anchor point instead of plants on the other side of the path - so their webs don't get broken when some walks by. The webs can be quite difficult to spot - except after a rain. I love to go out and look at them all glistening. I don't use any chemicals on my garden, so I've got all manner of creepy crawlies out there, including frogs when I don't even have a pond.

I often don't weed because of the webs - not because I'm afraid of the spiders, but because I don't want to wreck their handiwork. We have one that lives on the outside of the kitchen window and I love to watch her spinning and making repairs. 

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 11:20:56 am »
The only spider I want around me is Tobey Maguire. Sigh.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 06:13:57 pm by lydgate »
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline Christine

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 11:22:41 am »
Wow, that is a huge spider. They give me the creeps and fascinate me all at the same time. We had a pretty one who made its web outside of our bedroom window for about two weeks. We would watch her clean up her old web, then spin the new one. We called her Spidey...and I don't know if she was a she, but that is what we called her.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 11:59:43 am »
I guess she's beautiful...EEK!  but I hate spiders...alot!
Of course I don't like snakes or rats either
And after being on eight different planes the past week...
I am not going to see that stupid snakes on a plane movie  ::)
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 01:57:13 pm »
she is very pretty. We call those Golden Writing Spiders where I live in NC but Matty is right, it is some kind of orb spider. They are very beneficial as they eat other bugs. we have all kinds of spiders here but that kind is my favorite.   Cristy

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 02:18:08 pm »
We used to call those Garden Spiders where I grew up.

To me, they were both beautiful and terrifying. They have such quiet grace and delicate artisanship, coupled with a quiet menace that was unmistakable.

I used to sit in my bedroom and watch a web that stretched the length of my window as a kid. Summer after summer, she (and her progeny) would build a web and sit in the middle, so very patient and still, but always watching, always waiting.

*edited for
PS: A couple of years ago, I walked through a web late at night in my apartment complex, carrying a huge pile of laundry... and a spider that size and color landed on my head and crawled quickly off via my face. I screamed like a little girl.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Nadine

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 06:12:08 pm »
   I see your spider and raise you a hundred... 

Holy Sh*t Lwood, that is some scary stuff there!  :o

I did read about this spider we have, said the egg sac can have up to 1400 eggs in it! I think I need to find that thing and get rid of it.  I can live with one, but 1400!!!

Matty...I read in Austailia that this spider is called St. Andrews Cross.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 07:09:51 pm »
Nadine can you say, "Arachnophobia?" Lwood will have to set everything on fire to get to the nest. That was a damn good show.

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 07:26:09 pm »
She is absolutely stunning. Thanks for not hurting her. I believe that she is a Golden Orb Spider. I have a fascination with the little buggers myself. Here in New Mexico, we have all sorts of fun spiders, including Black Widows, Brown Recluses, and my personal fave, enormous hairy Tarantulas. In the fall, the Tarantulas start swarming everywhere getting ready to hibernate for the winter. I learned an interesting fact about the spiders and their cousins, the scorpions (which we also have a lot of). It seems as a general rule of thumb that the more dangerous an arachnid is, the less aggressive they tend to be. Just something to keep in mind.
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 06:32:00 am »
Indeed, she is very similar to a St. Andrews Cross spider, which is a member of the Orb Weaver family. Spiders are wonderful and graceful beasts which, with a few exceptions, leave humans alone and clean up the vermin bugs which plague our houses.

Exception, he says?

Well yes. From time to time the spider issue comes up in this place and as an Australian I can assure you that America/Europe/Africa etc have pissy spiders. Behold Atrax Robustus

http://www.amonline.net.au/spiders/dangerous/funnelweb/index.htm

and tremble. He lives under my house.

MtD

Offline Nadine

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2006, 06:58:02 am »
Now that is creepy, not the least bit pretty!

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2006, 07:08:31 am »
Our hairy pride and joy, now that Russell Crowe is a New Zealander once more. The Funnel Web Spider is distinguished not just because it is the deadliest spider in the world (those pansies from Brazil can kiss my little white arse) but because the male is 10 times deadlier than the female.

As things should be. ;D

MtD

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2006, 10:27:58 am »
eep.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.