Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:35:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 536
Total: 537

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How did we do it?  (Read 8899 times)

Offline Dachshund

How did we do it?
« on: March 16, 2008, 02:16:38 pm »
So I receive a letter from the social security administration yesterday. The letter shows how much you've paid in and what you can expect to receive when you retire. It broke it down by years. It was kinda interesting to see when you started working etc. So I was looking it over and thought this can't be right because it listed a year in which I'd made only $1,555.00 for an entire year. Then it dawned on me. That was my AIDS year. That was my lost year. That was the year I didn't care. That was the year that didn't matter. That was the year that everyone I knew was dying. That was the year I was dying.

I know folks can rattle off the dates and times and places with ease, reciting their AIDS history by the book, but I've never been able to do that. Maybe that's my defense mechanism, I don't know. I do remember that I'd blocked that year of living on a friend's sofa, selling everything I own in a yard sale and living that awful death filled year in a daze.

Now I just have to shake my head and think, how the fuck did you survive?

$1500 in a year? I spend more than that on Sam in a month. ;D Thanks for letting me share, I know you LTS' understand.

Hal :-*

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
Re: How did we do it?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 04:22:10 pm »
Yes, we understand, Auntie.  You've come a long way.  :)
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 09:14:40 pm »

When I look back at it, I often wondered how I survived. Especially throughout 2003. To be quite honest, I don't know how I managed to continue working, during 2003. I've taken a big loss in income, when neuropathy started, and I was fortunate enough to stay with the company, just in another division. It took an awful lot of decisions and planning, to try to make it on the lowered income.

Yep, I love those annual letters from the Social insecurity admistration ! The amount of pay that I lost over these past 3 years due to job change was, welll you know.....

We do understand----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 10:26:56 pm »
Oh, I understand perfectly.  And I can't recite verbatum all the 'AIDS years' either.  But I do remember when I got the horrible wasting, went down to 78 lbs, sent my daughter to live with my sister in Arizona, had Hospice come in etc.  And while AIDS wasn't as bad here as it was in places like San Francisco, all the people I knew were dying like bugs hitting the 'zapper.'  All the funerals, seeing part of the quilt at Notre Dame, all the gloom filled days, etc. etc. etc.  We all know what it was like. 

Oh yeah darling, I understand.  Like I tell people, we're some tough bitches.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 10:57:02 pm »
,,, all the people I knew were dying like bugs hitting the 'zapper.'  All the funerals ...

Oh yeah darling, I understand.  Like I tell people, we're some tough bitches.

I couldn't have said it better.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 11:03:23 pm »
Yikes!  Another part of living with HIV that I'm glad genetics got me around.  Still, I got slapped with memories of my serocoversion illness period (10/82-3/03) while looking through college yearbooks today.  I could feel the saoked sheets, swollen glands and tender lymph nodes all over, and the repeated tests for mono and other illnesses that kept coming back negative.  Whenever I saw the same things happen to friends in the years that came, I buried my head a little further in the sand -- as I often say, denial is a treatment option.

I got the same SSA statement and marveled at how far I had come and my mere survival, given that neurosurgeons had several times either given me up for dead or told my family to expect my passing by age 30.  The best revenge is a life lived well.

Namaste,
David
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 12:02:25 am »
All I can really say at the moment is I am so  glad you are here Hal, really really  glad

love,
Sharkie
(who had to come back and edit this morning because he was a bit too emotional when he wrote this)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 08:55:48 am by sharkdiver »

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 12:14:35 pm »
Hal,

I'm glad you made it through that awful year.    It does seem almost surreal, looking back on all the "sick years" doesn't it?   Someone asked me yesterday "what year was it you had the blood clot in your leg?" and I swear I cannot remember.

I understand perfectly what you mean about using it as a 'defense mechanism'.   My memories of hospital stays are on the blurry side, for the exact same reason.

hugs to you,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 01:26:22 am »
Hal,
You should be proud, you survived it all.

Like Bettytacy said, we are all some tough ass bitches.

Glad you are still here!
Positive since 1985

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 08:58:06 am »
all of us that have survived the hard times should be proud! Not only for surviving this illness but the accompanying poverty.

Unfortunately, I vividly remember all the "bad" dates for Randy, all the "bad" years for me, and now I'm starting the list for Jim's "bad" times. Sigh. Sometimes I wish I "could" forget it all.  ;)

Because I'm still repaying an overpayment from SS (ha!  ::)  that's what I get for trying to work a few yrs.) I have survived on just over $5000 for each of the last two years - with one more to go before it goes back over $7000 a yr. I'll feel "rich" again next April. LOL

But at least I'm in much better health than I was yrs ago, lying in a hospital nearly dying with PCP. I haven't been back in the hospital in 9 yrs and 12 days!

leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 10:37:46 am »
Hi,
I am in the SSDI filing process. When it says, if you become disabled, this is the amount you will receive, is that the amount you got or did you get something else?
just curious..
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 02:38:46 pm »
Yes, it's the amount you get if/when your SSDI is approved, and then it's adjusted (slightly) at the end of each calendar year for "cost of living" increases/inflation.   Keep in mind, however, that once you go on Medicare Part A/B that there will be a monthly deductible from your SSDI payment as a premium.  I forget what it is this year, and sadly it's been going up at a rate higher than what the cost of living increase is each year, or close to it.

edit:  actually I happen to have my 2007 Benefit statement sitting on my desk, and the monthly premium deduction last year came to $93.50  I think it was $60/mo when I first went on it 4 years ago.

As far as the premium for Medicare Part D (which covers meds) mine is paid by the state of Pennsylvania, but I don't think that this is the case for others here in different states, and in fact the first 2 years of Med. Pt. D I was badly informed by my case manager and I was shelling out a further $55/mo for a premium that I wasn't supposed to be paying for.  THANKS CASE MANAGER -- that grand total wasted came to about $1000.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 02:48:13 pm »
Rond, Medicaid (in my state-Indiana) pays for my medicare premiums (A/B & D).  So remember to check that out and see if your state does as well.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 12:27:54 pm »
-- as I often say, denial is a treatment option.

I got the same SSA statement and marveled at how far I had come and my mere survival

Wow ... I was completely living in denial when I was first treated.  After each appointment I would just throw away the copies of my results that the doctor gave me.  I didn't want to think about it.

My SSA statement always looks funny because I worked for Amtrak for many years and didn't pay into social security (they have their own railroad/government retirement plan) so my SSA statement shows no work for 15yrs.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 12:32:01 pm by AndyArrow »
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.