Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:15:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 373
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 338
Total: 338

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Here We Go Again  (Read 3032 times)

Offline Biggums

Here We Go Again
« on: September 24, 2006, 11:36:21 pm »
As you know, my honey had to get that abscess removed a couple of weeks ago.  The infection had gotten bad and required three procedures to get it out.  The wound is looking better and I continue to pack it twice daily.

Last night I went in to shower and felt a large egg shaped boil under the skin inside my right thigh.  Today it is enormous and painful.  It has already popped and oozing ungodly things from it.  I am thinking I have to get to the hospital now also.  I can't even contemplate me having to get this surgically removed as well and both of us having open wounds in need of care.  God this is like a nightmare.

The bad thing is that our relationship has been a little rocky lately and all of this stress is really pushing us to the brink as well.  I know I'm sounding like a baby, I'm sorry.  I just need a hug from Hermie, some good practical advice from Moffie and lord, even a word from Matty.  I just feel all so alone through this.

Jim

44 year old gay man .......just broke up with the only man I've ever really loved.

You can love completely without complete understanding.

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
Re: Here We Go Again
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 11:46:36 pm »
While I am sure that I need not remind you about scrupulous hand washing, it bears repeating so that there is no risk of cross contamination. Especiallly since you are the one performing his wound care. Boils are typically not something that requires surgical intervention, just make sure you keep the area clean, and dressed. Hopefully you have some antibiotic ointment around to use for yourself. I wouldn't be too fussed about it, unless it becomes unwilling to heal.
I just feel the need to stress again the importance of careful hygeine, so you don't introduce a new organism to his wound site.
Best wishes for both of your recoveries. I'll be thinking of you both.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 12:06:38 am »
Hello Jim, it is Eldon.

I am sorry to hear that a boil has surfaced on your leg in addition to your honey's. The BEST thing you could DO in the interim is to get some Epsom salt from the Walgreen's or CVS and soak it in the tub. If the problem then persits, then I recommend that you go and see your Doctor.

As for your relationship, there are many up's and down's that DO come along in a relationship. The BEST thing that you can DO is to keep the lines of communication as open as possible, use your rationale, and continue to demonstrate your heart warming care and support for your love. Anything is repairable, you just have to find that medium ground and a workable solution between the (2) two of you.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline Biggums

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 01:55:23 am »
Lisa, thanks for the tips.  Would you know......Should we stop sleeping together for awhile so our sheets don't get contaminated?

Eldon, You're a champ.  I have some epsom salts and will do compresses tonight.  Thanks for your encouragement also.
44 year old gay man .......just broke up with the only man I've ever really loved.

You can love completely without complete understanding.

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 09:28:17 am »
No sweety, no need to sleep apart. There is virtually no real expectation that you could accidentally cross contaminate his wound, or yours. Especially if you have a dressing over yours.
Eldon's suggestion is spot on about the epsom salts. It will draw the infection out, and soothe the pain, and inflammation.
Best wishes for both of you. :)
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 01:02:04 pm »
Jim,

I appreciate the position you find yourself in dear. All this stuff can be a tad overwhelming. Especially when we lead already interesting lives. ;)

I would certainly have the wretched thing seen to by a doctor. Having the wound properly dressed and perhaps some anti-biotics if necessary should see you right. Provided proper wound care is followed, I can't see why you and your sweetie should sleep apart.

Unless you want to. :D

Now stop being a big conservative cry-baby and get that wound seen to.

MtD

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 02:37:18 pm »
this boil thing seems to be a common thing these days. my partner of 9yrs has had like 5 of them in the past 2 years....4 of which he had to go to the hospital for and go on antibiotic treatment. one was so bad that they had to give him intravenous morphine while they removed it. i have never had one thank god, and knock on wood. i have had a few ingrown hairs from shaving that i ocd about becoming boils but it doesnt happen. all my partner's boils popped up on his ass a few days after shaving so he just clips it now. i talk with alot of people down here in s florida that have also had this problem and my doctor says she sees ALOT of it. my partner's doctor says he sees alot of it too and just not from hiv poz people. so i wonder what the ....is going on. maybe all this overuse of antibiotics and antibiotic body wash, hand wash is causing this. but still ....i am not gonna stop washing my hands with the antibacterial stuff, however, i have stopped using the body wash and just use regular soap. i really dont think the shaving caused the problem with my partner but on the safe side he wont shave his butt again. now, i will continue to shave mine i cant stand hair on my own body personally. i dont mind it on others but i just dont like the feel of it. hopefully i wont have to contend with what my partner and you have had to deal with with these boils. i actually saw a guy at the gym just walking around in the lockeroom all naked with a big purple one on his ass. not covered or anything and was using alot of the workout equipment in the gym. no underwear either! i almost had to yell at him, but i am cautious about the gym too i wear short AND thick underwear and shower immediately afterwards.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.