Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:05:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 197
Total: 198

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Extreme monthly cramps  (Read 9110 times)

Offline camille07

Extreme monthly cramps
« on: January 15, 2012, 06:24:07 pm »
Hi ladies-

I've got my back against a wall and I'm frustrated.  I have a pesky little cyst that really aggravates my periods.  The cramps are so bad that I take vicodin right now to deal with it.  I'm on truvada, so ibuprofen is a no no for me.  I would take 3 liquid gels  a day for about 4 days.  I love ibuprofen and it makes me really sad, believe it or not that it has such a gross interaction with truvada.   My period lasts for a week +.  This is nothing new.
What do any of you do to handle this?  Oh I was on birth control, but it didn't help my situation at all.  Even when the dosage was higher.

Advice and comments welcomed :)

Camms

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Extreme monthly cramps
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 11:00:32 am »
Hi Camms.

What sort of interaction do you experience taking Ibuprofen with your Truvada? I've never heard of anyone having a problem with that combo, so I got curious and looked it up on http://www.hiv-druginteractions.org/ The result was "No clinically significant interaction expected".

I used to have really heavy, painful periods after becoming poz until I got a Mirena coil fitted. It's an IUD that is also impregnated with hormones that completely stop your period - or sometimes makes it extremely minimal (such as in my case) but I no longer have cramps or go through mega-bucks worth of sanitary products.

I have maybe a day or two of very light spotting once every couple months. Big difference from having to use nighttime pads during the day (one of those plus a super sized tampon at night) and having to change every 30-45 minutes. That was a typical day one and often day two as well, and only a bit less heavy for another four to six days. Bad times. I'd also be exhausted for up to two weeks total out of every four.

The hormone impregnated coil allegedly stops the hormone from going systemic and is why we chose that for me. I had a bad reaction to injected hormones about 15 years ago, so having the hormones concentrated directly on my reproductive tract was ideal for me. It has worked 100% better than being on the pill. It only has to be replaced every five years or so, which is convenient.

Good luck. Nothing sucks like cramps!

Hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 11:16:27 am »
Ditto: "What sort of interaction do you experience taking Ibuprofen with your Truvada? I've never heard of anyone having a problem with that combo, so I got curious and looked it up on http://www.hiv-druginteractions.org/ The result was "No clinically significant interaction expected".

I'm curious how you learned this,Camille. Was it someone on your medical team?

Given the options you've laid out, if it were me, I'd consult an acupuncturist.

Em

Found this forums thread about the same topic, http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=32007.0 and in it Betty says she takes Truvada as well as significant doses of ibuprofen daily.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 11:21:08 am by emeraldize »

Offline camille07

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 07:54:33 am »
Hi Em and Ann-

I have a few sources that I have told me that there is a real interaction between ibuprofen and truvada.  My doctor was one, Dr. Kathleen Casey.  She's pretty well known, I mention that only because I 've read about doctors, on these forums who seemed out of the know. ::)

The other one was the aids meds checker....the old one.  If you do a search on the forum, there's a few other people who were concerned.... the one that you posted Em.  I read that some time back when I was checking this out.  http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=32007.0

So basically, lastly it was on the old drug checker.  The interaction had something to do with renal issues.

I'm going to follow through with some of your suggestions.  Ann, I'll talk to him about the coil.

Thank you :)

Offline springfever

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 06:19:51 pm »
Hi everyone,

this is my first post ever...

I just wanted to say that I am on atripla which contains similar or the same ingredients as truvada and was told by the pharmacist at my clinic and the pharmacist where I get my meds that it can be dangerous to take any anti-inflammatories (ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory) with my meds depending on the condition of my kidneys.  It even says avoid anti-inflammatories on the bottle my atripla comes in, I don't know if all our meds come in the same bottles since I'm in Canada.  The reason I say ''can'' is because I then asked my regular hiv doctor and asked the pharmacist again after my gynecologist (an hiv specilist) gave me a prescription for anti-inflammatories for period cramps.  That's when I was told that it all depends on my kidneys and that it was okay for me to take anti-inflammatories sparingly since my kidneys were in perfect condition.  The pharmacist said the warning is on the bottle because it is a general warning and when they gives out atripla they don't know the condition of everybody's kidneys.

I hope that clears everything up.  I don't know everything, I was only diagnosed last year but this is something I really looked into since the warning on the bottle of my meds said one thing and the gynecologist said the opposite.

Offline springfever

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 09:46:33 pm »
I found some more information on Truvada, Atripla and ibuprofen...  All 3 can strain the kidneys which is why it isn't recommended to combine ibuprofen with the meds.

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/kidneys_12388.shtml

Another member of the NRTI class that can cause kidney problems is tenofovir, the active ingredient in Viread and one of the drugs in Truvada, Atripla and Complera. Tenofovir can accumulate in the kidney tubules, effectively blocking their function. Fortunately, rates of renal failure have been quite low, on the order of 0.5 to 1.5 percent of tenofovir takers.
•Pain medications. NSAIDS, such as over-the-counter Advil (ibuprofen) and Aleve (naproxen), are frequently recommended and used to relieve pain. In some people they can cause an allergic reaction known as interstitial nephritis, which can decrease blood flow inside the kidneys.

For Camille07, the anti-inflammatories that my gynecologist prescribed for me are called Teva-Naproxen Sodium DS (550mg) if you wanted to inquire as to wether they might be suitable for you and your period cramps.  I used to stay in bed for 2 days either hugging the dog against my stomach or a hot water bottle but these pills are awesome!

I hope this helps!

Offline springfever

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 01:59:09 am »
Ummm... 

I was posting on something I sort of knew a little bit about (period cramps and meds) but I was kind of hoping that someone would respond...  Doesn't anyone come on here?  I kind of was hoping to get a response, maybe start a discussion or something with someone...

I don't know anyone in the same circumstances as me and well nobody even knows about my condition so althought my first post was somewhat technical...  I guess I was sort of reaching out, it would be nice to know that someone is there, reading what I wrote....

Offline camille07

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 07:04:59 am »
Spring-

I'm sorry you felt left standing after posting some incredibly useful advice.  This week has been incredibly busy for me.  My husband and I had a graphics business and decided that we needed to close up shop and get office designer jobs for his health benefits.  He's neg, but has Psoriatic arthritis and the affordable methotrexate's not working anymore.  So I've been hustling to put my portfolio together that I'm meeting with a recruiter.  Including going over the ins and outs of the programs I use since I will be tested on Monday!  I have about 30 new gray hairs on my head today.... :)

In the states, Naproxen is the equivalent to what your taking  I'm guessing.  My husband takes that so I'll have to see if it helps.   I have no kidney dysfunction so I should also consider that. 

BTW Em-  I tried the acupuncturists, really great for relaxing but never helps the cramps.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 09:43:07 pm »
Hey Camms!

I just came back to your thread tonight. Hope things are going okay in the work department and that the recruiter visit went well. Glad to read you're still a happy married woman. I have used my acupuncturist for so many pain-related issus -- but it's been decades since I've had menstrual cramping. Next time I see her, I'm going to ask if she's got any tricks she uses.

Springfever -- welcome! I see you've only posted a few times. Glad you found the site.

Em

Offline springfever

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 10:49:56 pm »
Hi Ladies,

so nice to hear from you!  After a few days, I was starting to think that people rarely came on this site and posted or at least in the ladies forums!

Thanks for replying and good luck on monday Camms!

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 11:51:03 pm »
Oooops! I misread the post -- I thought the visit to the recruiter already happened. Hope it goes well, testing and interviewing and all, Camms.

Offline camille07

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 05:05:38 am »
Thank you, it's so unbelievably stressful to have to print portfolios, and study for a Photoshop test ...LOL!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 06:44:26 am »
Hi Spring, welcome to the forums! 'Tis true the women's forum can be a bit quiet, but the rest of the forums are usually pretty lively.

We used to have a series of "Ladies Threads" that we'd allow to go on for a page or three before starting a new one, where everyday things were discussed. There hasn't been one going recently - we should probably try to start that up again. The last one was - Ladies Thread #74......All in a day or What's Your Routine?. Feel free to start a new one! (anyone)

Hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline springfever

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 11:02:10 pm »
Hi Ann, thanks for the warm welcome  :)

I'm slightly new to all of this and I don't know that I'd feel comfortable talking about myself online nor would I even know where to start but it's comforting to know that there are other women out there going through some of the same things as me. I dont want any of us to go through any of this (well except the good stuff you ladies talk about on here) but I think you know what I mean.  I can't imagine what it would be like to go through all this without having regular access to the internet.  When I think about stuff like that it reminds me of how lucky I am in so many ways...

I hope everything went well this week Camms!

Offline camille07

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 01:52:11 pm »
It's crazy, not as great as I anticipated.  I have blood work and a doctor's appointment tomorrow.    The job search is very discouraging for me personally.  I wish I was a little more up beat, but it's just one of those days.
Thank you again for all your great advice :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.