Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:23:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 273
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 258
Total: 258

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: absolutely stupid  (Read 10222 times)

Offline justanotherone

absolutely stupid
« on: July 24, 2006, 01:43:13 pm »
OK - my situation - way too many drinks in a strip bar in the US - got a lap dance and, like an idiot, let the dancer put my penis inside her vagina for about 20 pumps - freaked and pulled out - the freaked part didn't last long and I let her do it again for about 10 pumps and then picker her up and sat her down beside me.  She was a little dry the second time and irritated a little spot on the ring of my glans.  No condom used during all of this.

So, what do you think about my risks.  This happened only two days ago and I noticed that a qualitative PCR test is available that will provide a result in "most cases" with 48 - 72 hours but some may not test positive for 28 days post exposure.  Does anyone know what the percentages behind "most cases" within 48 - 72 hours? I know I would need to repeat the test after 28 days and also have an Elisa done but some relief or answer regardless of expense would be great quickly if possible.

Of course I am having 3,000 symptoms that I have chalked up to the psychological side of this but am genuinely concerned.  Please no lectures about drinking, sex and strip bars.  I have thouroughly taken care of that. 

Offline joejoe

Re: absolutely stupid
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 01:47:33 pm »
justanotherone.

First take a deep breathe. Then read the lessons at http://www.aidsmeds.com/lessons/StartHere1.htm

Usually an expert responds pretty quick....so in the meantime I would get to know the virus.

FYI- 6 weeks ago I had an encounter with a prostitute. My understanding is that you will need to test after 13 weeks to be 100% conclusive according to CDC. Also, a 6 week test might give you some comfort......it sounds like a long time but it goes quicker then you think. I am at 6 weeks now and it went by fast.......of course not easy.....but fast.

I will let an expert answer your risk question.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 01:56:20 pm »
Here are some basic facts: HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. It is significantly more difficlut to accomplish from female to male. Given what you have described in this single incident the odds remain significantly in your favor against transmission having occured IF the woman you were with is HIV+.

However, low risk is not the same as no risk so you need to learn from this experience. Mixing excessive drinking with casual and unprotected intercourse is a might dangerous combination. Everytime you have unprotected intercourse you are putting your life at risk. It's as stark and as simple as that.

Now you're in a hurry to get some reassurance that you're HIV negative. That's understandable. However, if you are going to do a PCR, the wiser thing to do is to wait 28 days. It's a highly sensitive test. A negative at 28 days is the next-best-thing to an all-clear. That negative should be confirmed by doing a standard HIV test at 13 weeks for a conclusively negative result.

You also need to be aware that because of its high sensitivity the PCR can yield a false positive, although not a false negative. Any positive result should be checked out by re-testing.

Good luck with your result.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Offline scaredstraight68

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 05:07:08 pm »
Andy, whats the diff between a PCR and Elisa?

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 05:51:10 pm »
Scaredstraight68,

Asking a question in someone elses thread is called thread hijacking. 

If you have questions or comments you need only post them in your original thread.

That said, PCR (polymerase chain reaction) tests are used to detect the presence of HIV-RNA or DNA in a person's blood. Essentially, the PCR tests are looking for evidence of virus itself and not antibodies. These tests are not FDA approved for diagnostic purposes because of higher rates of false positives when compared to the much more specific antibody tests.

ELISA tests for the presence of hiv antibodies.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 05:53:04 pm »
The polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and branched DNA (bDNA) assay can measure of HIV RNA in the blood, a measurement called the HIV viral load. They are highly sensitive tests which were never designed for diagnostic purposes. Because of their high sensitivity they can yield false positives.

At 28 days a negative PCR is considered more than merely encouraging, but it is always recommended to confirm that negative with a standard ELISA at 13 weeks. The ELISA is the standard HIV test which is looking for HIV antibodies.

As Morgan has indicated, you should ask your questions in your own thread.

Cheers,

« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 05:54:42 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline scaredstraight68

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 07:03:56 pm »

Asking a question in someone elses thread is called thread hijacking. 

Morgan

note taken. my appologies

Offline justanotherone

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 09:42:22 pm »
Andy, Thank you for the help.  I did find an interesting ducument detailing a good bit of information on the window period associated with PCR testing.  It is clear that I need to wait the 28 days.  I will also follow the protocol for Elisa follow up testing.  Thanks again.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 05:08:36 am »
Just,

Did you not read the comment that PCR testing is NOT approved for diagnostic purposes because it has a high rate of FALSE POSITIVES? Imagine how you'd feel if you got one of those. Don't chance doing that to yourself.

You'd be far better off waiting until six weeks and having an ELISA then, as the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks. The average time to seroconversion is 22 days.

The odds are in your favour of testing negative after this one-time condomless event.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline justanotherone

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 03:32:43 pm »
Thanks Ann.

OK, I was hoping to not fall into the self-diagnosis trap but am well on my way down a slippery slope.  The right side of the front of my neck began to hurt yesterday evening along with my right jaw.  It also feels like my right ear is stuffed up.  Keep in mind that my moment of risk was about 48 hours before these symptoms started and I know that most often the symptoms kick in after about two weeks if at all.  I could probably stub my toe right now and turn it into an HIV symptom in my mind.  Some reassurance from those who know and understand the timelines should would be welcome though.

On another note, the dancer that this occurred with gave me her telephone number and asked me to give her a call so we could go out sometime.  I have considered giving her a call, asking to meet, and trying to broach this topic but feel that I most likely would not be received well at all.  I would offer to pay for all testing and accompany her on the visit to the lab.  On one hand, this seems reasonable, on the other, it seems like I could offend the heck out of her.  This is not her fault and she should not have to carry my burden.  Opinions on this would be great since I have absolutely zero experience with something like this.  Thoughts?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 03:40:10 pm »
You won't get symptoms of HIV infection in 48 hours, so if you are still have problems see your doctor.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 05:50:00 pm »
Just,

Yes, it could be highly offensive to ask her about her hiv status. Besides, your sexual health is YOUR responsibility and yours alone. You can't go by what someone tells you about their health anyway. You should be using condoms unless you have tested negative together with a person and you have to get tested yourself if you don't use a condom.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline justanotherone

Re: absolutely stupid - really scared now
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 03:12:59 pm »
OK - I am absolutely terrified at this point and am thinking not so good thoughts about every 30 minutes at this point.
The following is a breakdown of my symptoms since my risky moment:
Day 1 - nothing
Day 2 - sore right jaw joint, sore under right jaw, and sore right side of neck
Day 3 - same as day 2 and diarrhea
Day 4 - same as day 3 but also had swollen/sore lymphnodes in groin and a dull headache, diarrhea
Day 5 - same as day 4 and groin glands really sore, diarrhea
Day 6 - same as day 5 but now have various muscle pain and joint pain - forearm, bicep, shoulder and back muscles - elbow and shoulder joints, diarrhea
Day 7 - same as day 6, diarrhea
Day 8 - same as day 7, plus pain in right armpit and pain in lower abs - sometimes similar to gas pain/sometimes similar to muscle pain, diarrhea
Day 9 - today, identical to day 8

I have read that symptoms usually occur between 2 and 4 weeks but can start as early as a few days in rare cases.  There seem to be a large number of people on this site that have a great deal of experience.  How often do these symptoms, if related to HIV, occur as early as mine?  I am on the absolute edge right now and would appreciate any feedback.  I know this is my fault but I cannot help how I am feeling.  I am so scared. 

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 03:32:06 pm »
I don't know of any. I myself, never had any symptoms.

Offline justanotherone

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 04:50:09 pm »
basic question - one of the symptoms often listened that may be related to acute HIV infection is swollen lymph nodes.  Is there typically pain or discomfort associated with the swelling? 

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 04:56:54 pm »
See your doctor for your symptoms. Your symptoms are not related to HIV. You have been told symptoms don't mean anything when it comes to HIV and your symptoms came on to early.

Offline justanotherone

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 05:10:49 pm »
Thanks Rod.  I know you said that my sypmtoms came on early but I did not see in any of the responses that my symptoms are not related to HIV.  That is great to know and I will not post again until I have a test result given that Andy suggested I test.  Sorry for not clearly understanding the responses and thanks for the help.

Offline justanotherone

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2006, 03:18:26 pm »
Yipee ......

Though my symptoms led me to fully conclude that I was HIV positive, my 29 day DNA PCR result just came back negative.  I have learned a lot through this process but mainly (1) to always wear a condom and don't put yourself in risky positions and (2) the mind in very powerful.  I convinced myself that I was HIV posiitve and my mind then convinced my body to make sure I believed that.  Lessons well learned.

I will follow this up with a 13 week Elisa.

Thank you to all of you who responded and to this wonderful organization that has some of the best hearted people I have ever encountered.  You are a wonderful group of folks. 

Offline justanotherone

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2006, 04:22:23 pm »
Yipee, yipee....

My 6 week (5 weeks 4.5 days - but whose counting) antibody test came back negative.  One more test (13 week) to go.

Offline justanotherone

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 04:35:14 pm »
yipee, yipee, yipee - hiv1 and 2 negative at 12 weeks.

Good luck to all.  Thanks Andy - you are great - your answers and comments are all so positive - and though you respond to so many ww's, you seem to always remember we are all extremely stressed - thank you for your perpetual patience - you are an example for others to follow.

Offline Victor

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2006, 01:59:05 am »
Don't forget to thank Ann  ;D

She is awesome too!

Congratulations! I hope I can get the same outcome in 3 weeks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2006, 07:03:18 am »
Progheadd,

Awesome Ann is going to kick your Progbutt if you keep ignoring her and posting in other peoples' threads.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.