Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:17:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 358
Total: 358

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: AMG 06 : Side-Trip to Quebec City, August 20th - VAN RENTAL -  (Read 17322 times)

Offline The Canuck

Hi y'all !

It was mentioned recently we would need vans for the side-trip to Quebec City. I have all the information concerning the location, however we need another person for renting a van. It would be best to do it as soon as possible and make sure we will have the three vans reserved for August 20th.

Rocky ( Rab ) already proposed themselves for renting one so we need two extra volunteers to do the same. At this moment we evaluated we require three vans with a capacity for 7 persons. If nothing change we are 28 persons doing this side-trip.

Evaluation of the needs for transportation

So far we have three cars available.

1-   My car ( 4 passengers )
2-   John & Trish car ( possibly 4 passengers )
3-   Dingo & Jen ( 2 passengers )

Approx. total = 10 persons

There are 18 persons remaining so we need at least three vans. If this figure doesn’t change then it would be best to put 6 persons in each vans for splitting the cost of the rental and gasoline. We’ll see to that when the time comes. We can accommodate so far a total of 31 persons…so we have three places left with the arrangement as it is now.

What is required for making the location ?

1-   A valid driver permit
2-   A credit card to the same name of the driver permit
3-   A proof of your insurance company that says you are covered if an accident occurs
4-   To be 25 years old and + ( they would rent to someone younger but with extra charges of $25.00 CAD )

Trifty is located in the same building as our hotel, and their vans are in the hotel’s parking so this is very practical for picking them up and returning them. The total price for each van (24 hours ) is $97.83 CAD ( include taxes & unlimited mileage ) + gasoline.

For van rental  reservation

When calling them up ( the sooner the better )…specify you want to reserve a van ( 7 passengers capacity ) for August 20th ( one day ). Specify you will have a proof of coverage from your insurance company and take the deal with unlimited mileage ( $97.83 CAD including taxes ).

Thrifty
855 St. Catherine Est
Montréal, Québec

Phone : 514-845-5954

AMG 06 attendees responsible for a van location

1 – Rocky ( rab ) – reservation done today July 6th
2-  Thom ( Ric & Thom ) - reservation done July 10th
3-  Robert - reservation done

The other volunteers can reply to this topic or send me a PM and specify he/she will reserve a van, which will then be added above.

Note

It has not been decided who would get into the cars and such details. We’ll see to that later on…the most important thing right now is to have the three vans reserved for the side-trip to Quebec City.

See ya' in Montreal....

Regards,

The Canuck

Edited for adding Thom to the list...only one volunteer missing.
Edited for adding Robert to the list...no more volunteers are required
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 11:06:46 am by The Canuck »

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
Re: AMG 06 : Side-Trip to Quebec City, August 20th - VAN RENTAL -
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 06:00:13 pm »
Canuck

Thanks so much for getting this set up. 

I did make the reservation today, but I'm hoping (please please please) that when we all get there, someone else will be willing to actually drive/rent the one I reserved.

I nearly had a nervous breakdown last year (See Attachment below)  driving a van full of giddy, hyper, laughing, HIVers and friends (See Attachment below) down the Queens Expressway.  Course it didn't help my "co-pilot"  (UHUM!) had medicated himself before we left!   ::)

RAB

(Who to this day still hasn't figured out how to "TURN LEFT RIGHT" at the same damn time!   :D )

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 06:31:54 pm by RAB »

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 06:30:54 pm »
Who to this day still hasn't figured out how to "TURN LEFT RIGHT" at the same damn time!

RAB,

Was it your co-pilot who gave you the indication for '' turn left right '' ? If so, then I'm happy of not really needing a co-pilot if that person happens to be seated right besides me in the car.  8)

The Canuck

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 12:40:39 pm »
bump

Offline greatcyber

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 03:22:12 pm »
Hi Claude,

Since you said that you have room in your car for 3 others, and I assume that one of them will be taken by Brent, I was wondering if you would mind if Joe (Killfoile) and I could share the ride with you?  I would much prefer to ride with someone from the area, someone who speaks French (I love to hear it and would like to practice what I have been trying to learn) and I really don't want any repeat of the crap that happened last year over the van rental.  I would just as soon be a passenger and be able to sit back and enjoy the ride.  I'm sure someone else can step up to the plate to rent a van.  Please let us know as soon as you can as maybe we might rethink the side trip if this is not possible.  I know Joe is looking forward to meeting you, as am I, and of course, we both know Brent from getting together a few times in Fort Lauderdale.  Looking forward to Montreal and we CAN'T WAIT to move there!  Cheers.  Stephen
Perform a Random Act of Kindness Today...

...You Just May Be In Need of One Tomorrow!

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 03:56:53 pm »
Stephen,

I sent you a PM concerning this. It seems we need now to person for reserving a van for the side-trip to Quebec City. It would be nice if two volunteers would step in for reserving the vans because at the last minute we might not have them.

Regards,

The Canuck

P.S. I will edit the original message on top accordingly.

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 05:06:47 pm »
Hi Canuck, John, Dingo, and Everyone:

Maybe the simplest way to handle this would be something like the following:

We take the total transportation cost and divide it by the # of people electing to go to Quebec City.

To come up with that figure I'd propose the following:

van rental cost (excluding CDW--which can be waived with proof of insurance by renter/driver) = $97.83 x 3 = $293.49

reimbusement to John and Dingo for one days use of their rental vehicles  (estimate only but
assuming they rented for a weekly rate let's say   $30.00 each)                                                                  $  60.00

cost of gasoline 6 vehicles (varying mileage) but lets estimate 40.00 per vehicle                                               $240.00

Total transportation cost                                                                                                                         $593.49

$593.49/29 people = $20.46 each 

COLLECTED THAT MORNING BEFORE WE LEAVE.

This distributes the cost equally, (the members in private cars aren't paying less and we don't get into a possible problem with who gets to pay what rate) it reimburses John and Dingo for use of their cars  (why should they pay twice?) and the gasoline they and you'd be using.

No one will get stuck for anything on their cards, the people who actually rent will get reimbursed immediately, the renters of cars (John and Dingo) will get reimursed immediately, the gas will be paid for immediately, and we can simply have a good time.

I don't know, just a suggestion.

What does everyone think?

RAB

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 06:10:35 pm »

Jesus H..............................

OK, fine by me

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 06:27:43 pm »
Rocky,

It sounds like the easiest way to proceed. However you can expect the cost of gasoline to be slightly higher to your estimation and think the average will be closer to $45.00. If so it won't changed anything to the principle excepted for a slightly higher cost.

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline Ric Wilke

• I joined AIDSmed.com 10/2002.
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 07:42:52 pm »
Hey Group,

I've trusted him for 26+ years as my driver.  Thom is very willing to rent and drive a van to help make this event come together.  I'm his navigator and do a pretty damn good job of getting us between point A and point B.

Just let us know.  Ric and Thom

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 07:49:52 pm »
Hello Ric,

Thanks a lot and really appreciated ! Thom can go ahead and make the reservation. All the details in my introductory text.

By the way Ric, the navigators won't work very hard that day. Indeed everyone will follow me and I know exactly where I go ( back and forth ).  8)

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline Robert

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 09:01:20 pm »
are we still looking for a 3rd person to rent the van?  If so, put me down.  I can do it.  But I'm like Rocky I don't want to drive.  I will if I have to.

robert

(who is slowly learning he and Rocky have a lot in common.  Ouch.  That hurts.)

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 09:09:06 pm »
Hi Robert,

Yes we are still looking for a third person. At this moment what counts is to reserve the vans, on the day of the actual renting someone else could do it. Thanks a lot Robert !  :-X

Is it scary Robert to learn that you have a lot in common with Rocky ? Does it mean you are in bed at 9:00 pm as well ?  ;)

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline Robert

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 10:15:39 pm »
No Problemo.   When I log off here I will call and reserve the car (I have dial up; can't call and use the computer at the same time.)

robert

(shh...don't let Rocky know just how much we have in common.  It could drive him nuts.)

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 01:11:38 pm »
Hi y'all !

We now have the three volunteers requested for renting the vans re. side-trip to Quebec City. Rocky and Thom ( Ric & Thom ) already made their reservations and Robert shall do it soon if not done.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Rocky, Thom and Robert for their support and help on this matter.

On a different note, I'm going to Montreal this coming weekend for seeing some friends but also for finalizing a few things concerning the AMG Gathering. While at it, I'll go to see exactly where is located the '' Chapel Of Hope '' and therefore have a better evaluation of the distance from the hotel.

See ya' all soon Montreal...  ;)

Regards,

The Canuck
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 10:31:20 pm by The Canuck »

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 10:43:59 am »
Canuck

The 3 R's (Robert, Ric, and Mois) have reserved the vans.  Due to some smart checking by Robert we've gotten a better rate than anticipated.  $82.59, unlimited mileage, and assuming insurance waiver.

I confused some people (especially myself) with the figuring I did in my previous post.  I was mixing, US and Canadian dollars, and because I was trying to make it clear that those who are already renting/providing cars shouldn't pay a second time.

The bottom line is this.  If everyone going to Quebec City, except the following: Dingo, Jen, John, Trish, and Canuck pay $20.00 (CDN) we will /should have enough to pay for the van rentals and the gas for all vehicles.  (I used to be an accountant--trust me!  ;D  He He He!)

RAB

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2006, 11:10:52 am »
RAB,

Thanks for letting me know Robert did the reservation. We are trusting the accountant about the cost about the estimate cost for everyone doing this trip.

On the other hand, should we really trust an accountant who was mixing up US & Canadian dollars ? I'm really wondering here... ???

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2006, 07:17:42 pm »
I'd be willing to rent a van/ car as well.  I'd rather someone else drove since I don't know the area at all.
God!  This is so exciting!
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2006, 02:17:54 am »
due to the fact that me and jen are borrowing a car from her aunt, jen feels uncomfortable letting anyone ride in the car due to insurance issues.  I hope you all respect that.  So, sadly, we cannot accomodate any passengers for this sidetrip. 

Bailey (Who is even himself a bit irked because the trip is MOST of the fun getting there)

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2006, 09:26:56 am »
Guys,  I thought that Robert needed a driver, and I sent him my information for the rental agreement, but I haven't heard whether or not he needed me for this trip.

Does anyone know if I will be needed to drive?

In Love.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Robert

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2006, 10:35:24 am »
hi tim...

yeah, I would love for you to drive.  Sorry about the PM.  I'll send you one right now....

robt

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2006, 07:29:53 pm »
Uh Oh!   ::)

Asked by Moffie aka Lead Foot Linda:
Does anyone know if I will be needed to drive?

Answered by Robert:

yeah, I would love for you to drive.

By my estimation we'll arrive in Quebec City in . . . .oh I don't know. . . .maybe 1 hour?

RAB

(Who encourages everyone to remember his statement about the "copiliot" he had last year!   :P)

Offline Robert

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2006, 09:27:47 pm »
Oh Rocky is right on (or should I say "spot" on.)

Take a look at "Lead Foot Linda's" picture.  There she is standing next to her Kennelworth.  She's certainly done her share of hauling ass across the country.  She doesn't mess around.

Lisa, you think 3 hours to Quebec?  Oh not by a long shot.  Rocky's 1 hour is right in the ballpark. .  Stick with us, kids, we'll be there in no time.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.