Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:43:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 413
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 402
Total: 405

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 'Healthy' foods to skip  (Read 13662 times)

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
'Healthy' foods to skip
« on: April 16, 2009, 04:33:16 pm »
These foods look and sound good for you, but they actually aren't the best choices

Surprise Nutritionist No-Nos
Posted Tue, Apr 07, 2009, 2:21 pm PDT

Ya, ya, we know what foods nutritionists want us to avoid -- bacon, coffee, hamburgers, fried stuff... But a good number of friendly-looking foods also fall into that category. Instead of fearing all foods, I asked Today Show nutritionist and bestselling author of Joy's LIFE Diet, Joy Bauer to determine her top picks for seemingly safe foods that actually do not do a body good...

JOY BAUER'S 5 PICKS-TO-SKIP...

2% Milk
The FDA allows 2% milk to be labeled reduced-fat, but that's a relative term (whole milk is 3.25% fat). Calorically speaking, the difference between whole and 2% milk isn't all that impressive: 150 calories for a cup of whole milk vs. 120 for a cup of 2%. Skim milk, on the other hand, has the same protein and calcium content as whole and 2%, but weighs in at 80 fat-free calories per cup. Assuming you drink a cup a day, switching to skim will save you more than 14,000 calories in a year's time. That simple substitution translates to a four-pound yearly weight loss!

Whole Wheat Bagels
While it's true that whole grains, and products made from whole grains, are much healthier than their refined flour counterparts, some whole grain foods are not worth the calories. Take bagels, for instance. A big, New York-style whole wheat bagel has just as many calories (350 or more) as one made with white flour. Definitely stick with whole grains when it comes to bread products, but instead of your Sunday morning bagel and lox ritual, try a toasted whole grain English muffin (130 calories) and lox instead. You'll save at least 200 calories, and who doesn't love all those nooks and crannies?!

Chicken Caesar Salad
It's easy to see why our next trickster, Chicken Caesar salad, leads people astray. After all, aren't we constantly being told to eat more vegetables, and to choose lean sources of protein? But McDonald's Caesar Salad with Grilled Chicken contains 410 calories and 24 grams of fat, while their Quarter Pounder has the same number of calories, and even less fat. And that's nothing compared to the classic Chicken Caesar salad recipes you'll find at local restaurants and chains, which contain approximately 1,100 calories and 96 grams of fat.

The culprits, of course, are the creamy Caesar dressing and oil-soaked croutons. Nearly half the calories in McDonald's salad comes from the dressing, so if you switch to their low-fat balsamic vinaigrette, you save 150 calories, as well as 15 grams of fat. The calories in a classic Chicken Caesar almost anywhere can be nearly slashed in half if you lose the croutons and substitute a teaspoon of olive oil (two dashes) and unlimited vinegar for the dressing.  Can't live without the Caesar dressing? Request it on the side and go easy!

Granola
This cereal was invented in 1863, and then revived 100 years later in the "crunchy granola" 1960's. Originally a simple mixture of rolled oats, nuts, and honey, granola has morphed into a product its 19th century creator would hardly recognize. Bear Naked's latest "all natural" flavor contains 21 ingredients, including four types of sweeteners, chocolate, and peanut butter. It's also 140 calories per ¼ cup (that's a whopping 280 per serving!). Even low-fat granola packs a caloric punch. One serving of Health Valley's Real Oat Bran Almond Crunch clocks in at 200 calories. Consider that the average breakfast bowl holds about two cups of cereal, and you see why granola spells "trouble."

TIP: If you really like starting your day with granola, stick with ¼ cup, and mix it with a less caloric cereal, like Bran Flakes or plain Cheerios. Another option is to sprinkle one to two tablespoons on low-fat yogurt or cottage cheese.

Fruit Smoothies
Sure, all that fruit makes smoothies healthier than a milk shake, but your waist doesn't know the difference between the calories in berries, bananas, soy milk, and antioxidant "boosts," and those in ice cream, whole milk, and chocolate syrup. In fact, Jamba Juice's original size Peanut Butter Moo'd® smoothie contains an astounding 840 calories. That's 160 calories more than a medium chocolate shake at Burger King!

You can still enjoy smoothies, just order smart or make your own. "Jamba Light" options contain 150-160 calories per 16-ounce serving, and the same size "All Fruit" selections are 200-220 calories. If you have a blender, try pureeing a sliced banana, one cup of strawberries, one cup of skim milk, and ice to taste. This healthy homemade concoction contains about 230 calories, and will save you lots of dough (smoothies can be pricey!).

Source

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: 'Healthy' foods to skip
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 09:44:59 pm »
I followed the link to the eating out section and the foods that sound healthy but are full of fat, salt, etc.

Even when you think you are eating right, you can be wrong.

I guess eating at home is the best answer.

HUGS,

Mark

« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 09:51:48 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 09:53:49 pm »
I just bought a bunch of bagels and I'm about to make cheeseburgers (though I use 96% lean ground beef) -- and my jeans still say "32" bitches.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 06:46:02 am »
I just bought a bunch of bagels and I'm about to make cheeseburgers (though I use 96% lean ground beef) -- and my jeans still say "32" bitches.

Gee, if MY jeans started saying "32" to me, I'd wonder if I were hallucinating. Talking jeans? :o

I've always found the best diet to be one that includes mainly fresh foods (as opposed to highly processed) and moderation on the portion front. I don't think it's healthy to obsess over fat content and calories. It's one thing to obsess, and another to be simply conscious of what - and how much - one is eating.

Just my two-pee, or not two-pee.

What was the question?

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 09:52:38 pm »

I just splurged and had two hamburgers - well, sort of.

Rather than ground beef, I had two Sunshine Burgers ™ ,  which are vegetarian burgers that are both gluten free and very tasty.

The splurge was buying gluten free hamburger buns. They are $6 for four buns, and for me, that's a splurge.

Oh, and Philicia dear, your jeans may say 32, but remember, you're young yet. I wore 29s until about 18 months ago. That 50th birthday does something to you. :D ::) ;)

Now, I'm a full-figured boy. :o

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 08:43:47 am »

I've been drinking Skim Milk for a long time now. Once you get used to it ( and it doesn't take long), it isn't really bad at all.

I very seldom eat bagels.  Ususally whole wheat breads.

I don't like Caesar salad, But do have a salad daily. With Fat free or some sort of lite dressing.

I don't eat granola, but do like my cereal. Once again always reading labels.

And, I like my strawberry, banana, mango,smoothies. With just a touch of sugar in them.

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline bear60

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 10:51:13 am »
I usually skip dessert.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 11:06:22 am »
You know, it's not that difficult to make a good vinaigrette dressing from scratch.  It's MUCH better than something from a bottle frankly, and if you start experimenting with different types of vinegar the world really IS your oyster.

As far as dessert goes, I can easily skip it.  I routinely buy dark chocolate and simply eat 2 squares of it and that's it.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 07:08:52 pm »
I love desert.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 11:53:52 am »
I have a very special relationship with pie!  ::)
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline Funkengruven

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 12:50:59 pm »
Ooooooh.  But what kind of pie?  I now have a very intense craving to go out for coffee and pie.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 01:23:04 pm »
I'm dying to make a hair pie joke.

Offline franfrog

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 01:51:45 pm »
Well I know there are many foods that seem healthy and are not so good.  Also the foods that you should avoid because of the HIV, blue cheese, mushrooms, etc.....  I have to say I am guilty for eating all of them.
I did however start eating more grilled chicken ceaser salad from a place by my house thinking it is not very healthy but healthier then if I get a greasy cheeseburger and I have to say that since I did this my cholesterol and triglycerides and gone down a huge amount.  They are actually in the normal range.  This is the first time in 4 years. LOL

I do need to eat better to lose weight so that is my weakness but I am so guilty of eating just about everything that I should not be.
7/05 diagnosis cd4- 52 vl -?
08/05 cd4-299 vl-1900
10/05 cd4-249 vl-349
12/05 cd4-349 vl-52
03/06 cd4-454 vl-<50
06/06 cd4-508 vl-<50

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 04:00:04 pm »
Eat "whole" foods and exercise. If you have decent insurance, see a nutritionist, its their job to be the experts.

I had a nutrition prof in college who told us all about the horrors of hydrogenated fats.  She said, eat butter, olive oil etc. Eat the fat on your steak for crissakes. But stay clear of all processed fat. It was 20+ years ago, way before the public could wrap its head around the idea that the food industry had sold us a pile of garbage for decades. Margarine, please! I couldn't for the life of me convince my parents to stop buying it and go back to butter, or change to tasty natural oils (the latter would not have been in their culture, and they had been brainwashed about the "diet" benefits of industrial "low cholesterol" frankenfood).

I highly recommend any HIV positive person read a few basic books on nutrition, take a class, or see a nutritionnist if possible. 

Eat your delicious hamburgers. Eat your blue cheese. Why are mushrooms bad (huh?!). Eat apples (a day keeps the doctor away) and drink wine with dinner and make yourself a cherry pie or chocolate cake and chili and meatloaf and baked potatoes and coleslaw etc etc just avoid the crap as much as possible.  But don't feel guilty if you eat a little crap, sometimes.

Like all sciences, nutrition science opens ones eyes to many things never considered. 

I've been counselled the best diet for me is similar to a diet that prevents heart disease - so actually, not too much of that delicious steak, sausage and peppers, etc etc.. Your doc is supposed to monitor your blood and body and refer you to specilists to keep things at an optimum. Every body is different and some can eat anything and stay within the norms. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 04:48:31 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 10:50:43 pm »
These foods look and sound good for you, but they actually aren't the best choices

Surprise Nutritionist No-Nos
Posted Tue, Apr 07, 2009, 2:21 pm PDT

Ya, ya, we know what foods nutritionists want us to avoid -- bacon, coffee, hamburgers, fried stuff... But a good number of friendly-looking foods also fall into that category. Instead of fearing all foods, I asked Today Show nutritionist and bestselling author of Joy's LIFE Diet, Joy Bauer to determine her top picks for seemingly safe foods that actually do not do a body good...

JOY BAUER'S 5 PICKS-TO-SKIP...

2% Milk
The FDA allows 2% milk to be labeled reduced-fat, but that's a relative term (whole milk is 3.25% fat). Calorically speaking, the difference between whole and 2% milk isn't all that impressive: 150 calories for a cup of whole milk vs. 120 for a cup of 2%. Skim milk, on the other hand, has the same protein and calcium content as whole and 2%, but weighs in at 80 fat-free calories per cup. Assuming you drink a cup a day, switching to skim will save you more than 14,000 calories in a year's time. That simple substitution translates to a four-pound yearly weight loss!

Whole Wheat Bagels
While it's true that whole grains, and products made from whole grains, are much healthier than their refined flour counterparts, some whole grain foods are not worth the calories. Take bagels, for instance. A big, New York-style whole wheat bagel has just as many calories (350 or more) as one made with white flour. Definitely stick with whole grains when it comes to bread products, but instead of your Sunday morning bagel and lox ritual, try a toasted whole grain English muffin (130 calories) and lox instead. You'll save at least 200 calories, and who doesn't love all those nooks and crannies?!

Chicken Caesar Salad
It's easy to see why our next trickster, Chicken Caesar salad, leads people astray. After all, aren't we constantly being told to eat more vegetables, and to choose lean sources of protein? But McDonald's Caesar Salad with Grilled Chicken contains 410 calories and 24 grams of fat, while their Quarter Pounder has the same number of calories, and even less fat. And that's nothing compared to the classic Chicken Caesar salad recipes you'll find at local restaurants and chains, which contain approximately 1,100 calories and 96 grams of fat.

The culprits, of course, are the creamy Caesar dressing and oil-soaked croutons. Nearly half the calories in McDonald's salad comes from the dressing, so if you switch to their low-fat balsamic vinaigrette, you save 150 calories, as well as 15 grams of fat. The calories in a classic Chicken Caesar almost anywhere can be nearly slashed in half if you lose the croutons and substitute a teaspoon of olive oil (two dashes) and unlimited vinegar for the dressing.  Can't live without the Caesar dressing? Request it on the side and go easy!

Granola
This cereal was invented in 1863, and then revived 100 years later in the "crunchy granola" 1960's. Originally a simple mixture of rolled oats, nuts, and honey, granola has morphed into a product its 19th century creator would hardly recognize. Bear Naked's latest "all natural" flavor contains 21 ingredients, including four types of sweeteners, chocolate, and peanut butter. It's also 140 calories per ¼ cup (that's a whopping 280 per serving!). Even low-fat granola packs a caloric punch. One serving of Health Valley's Real Oat Bran Almond Crunch clocks in at 200 calories. Consider that the average breakfast bowl holds about two cups of cereal, and you see why granola spells "trouble."

TIP: If you really like starting your day with granola, stick with ¼ cup, and mix it with a less caloric cereal, like Bran Flakes or plain Cheerios. Another option is to sprinkle one to two tablespoons on low-fat yogurt or cottage cheese.

Fruit Smoothies
Sure, all that fruit makes smoothies healthier than a milk shake, but your waist doesn't know the difference between the calories in berries, bananas, soy milk, and antioxidant "boosts," and those in ice cream, whole milk, and chocolate syrup. In fact, Jamba Juice's original size Peanut Butter Moo'd® smoothie contains an astounding 840 calories. That's 160 calories more than a medium chocolate shake at Burger King!

You can still enjoy smoothies, just order smart or make your own. "Jamba Light" options contain 150-160 calories per 16-ounce serving, and the same size "All Fruit" selections are 200-220 calories. If you have a blender, try pureeing a sliced banana, one cup of strawberries, one cup of skim milk, and ice to taste. This healthy homemade concoction contains about 230 calories, and will save you lots of dough (smoothies can be pricey!).

Source
sounds like all the stuff I need to gain weight. I had a double 1/4 pounder with cheese at Mickey D's and it was 740 calories. I felt proud of myself that day.
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline Peacock

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 06:25:03 am »
Haa ha ..Antibody, I agree...when i eat a burger i hope it goes to my tummy and makes me chunky.
 :'( dont y'all feel sorry for me- I can eat what i like and not get fat.
 :Djust kidding HeeHeeHee
Peacock,Steve
Diagnosed 07/01/2002
Started Haart- 25/11/04 Cd4: 205 VL: 76'500
                      19/12/08 Cd4: 623 VL: UD
      26/03/12 Cd4: 497 Cd4%: 30.10 VL: UD
Combivir and Nevirapine(200mg) x1 of each-Am & pm
Not changed Meds since starting on HAART
Green Tea,Multivit,Selenium ACE,Folic acid,Vit C,Aciclovir 200mg 5x per day for 3 days-(ONLY when I have Shingles!)
100 percent adherence-with the help of a wristwatch!

Offline shypoz

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 10:56:38 am »
Skim milk? I don't think I can stomach that. But I do rotate what's in my fridge - between whole milk, soy milk and a recent, tasty discovery from the organics isle: coconut milk, which has 20 less calories from fat than whole milk.
+++++++++

Matt's Timeline

08/28/08: HIV+
09/08/08: CD4 542 / VL 16,060
12/08/08: CD4 522 / VL 25,000
04/13/09: CD4 385 / VL 33,000 ~ Atripla prescription
04/16/09: Atripla started
07/20/09:

+++++++++

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 04:41:45 pm »
Skim milk? I don't think I can stomach that. But I do rotate what's in my fridge - between whole milk, soy milk and a recent, tasty discovery from the organics isle: coconut milk, which has 20 less calories from fat than whole milk.

Coconut milk is way too rich to be an alternative to milk and soy.
Coconut milk (white), obtained from grated coconut flesh, is used for cooking, like how one would use whip cream. The translucent watery juice inside, when the coconut is cracked opened, is NOT the milk. VCO, or Virgin coconut oil, is obtained through a cold pressed procedure. That's the oil.

Other than soy, I dun think there is any real substitute for fresh milk, protein level wise. Rice milk dun even come close. :P
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline shypoz

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 07:45:26 pm »
Coconut milk is way too rich to be an alternative to milk and soy.
Coconut milk (white), obtained from grated coconut flesh, is used for cooking, like how one would use whip cream. The translucent watery juice inside, when the coconut is cracked opened, is NOT the milk. VCO, or Virgin coconut oil, is obtained through a cold pressed procedure. That's the oil.

Other than soy, I dun think there is any real substitute for fresh milk, protein level wise. Rice milk dun even come close. :P

Hey, Merlin -

If you look at the same place where you get soy milk, there are a couple of brands that offer a coconut milk alternative to milk, which is not as rich as the type used for cooking. There's plain and vanilla, which my favored one, and it's pretty good. I agree with you, though, in that it's not an every day thing.

I can't get into rice milk. Have you ever tired almond milk? That, to me, is just too rich in flavor.

Matt
+++++++++

Matt's Timeline

08/28/08: HIV+
09/08/08: CD4 542 / VL 16,060
12/08/08: CD4 522 / VL 25,000
04/13/09: CD4 385 / VL 33,000 ~ Atripla prescription
04/16/09: Atripla started
07/20/09:

+++++++++

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.