Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:31:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 230
Total: 233

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I'm new... 5 days new  (Read 6347 times)

Offline purplerain

• finally figured out the pic thing
I'm new... 5 days new
« on: June 26, 2006, 04:40:39 am »
Just found out 5 days ago that I am +..Had a rapid test took 10 miinutes 2 change my life and that it did.  I feel stupid posting this since I don't have anything 2 say other then I am scared I am scared I AM SCARED.
I'm scared of finding out my viral load im scared of germs I am scared of sex I am even scared in some ways 2 masterbate. I'm all of a sudden washing my hands 50 times a day and cleaning everything I can reach with a rag.  I'm freaking out because I drink waaaaayyyyyyyy 2 much and smoke even more so im trying 2 give myself a week 2 quit both...
HOW????????
I'm giving myself a month 2 start eating right and exercising
HOW????????
I don't mean 2 bitch and complain so I am sorry but at 2:30 in the morning 5 days into this and sitting here alone this is the only outlet I have.......

THANKS 4 LISTENING/READING
JAG

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
Re: I'm new... 5 days new
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 05:19:21 am »
Geeeeez, Jag,

Go easy on yourself.  Damn, you gotta make it through this night, before you can do all these things you have promised yourself.

My suggestion is take a deep breath, hold it, now let it out slowly.  I mean it dude, do this now, right now. 

Now, let's see.  First off, you need to read the lessons right here on this site, learn everything you can about this disease, and try to let it sink in.  Then, read about the people here in the Blogs, and mine would be one place to start, but read them all, and learn how some of us HIV Dinosaurs have been dealing with HIV for the better part of 20+ years.  Then have a smoke, drink or anything else that will help you calm down a bit.  You have loads of time to make life changes, but today and this week and month, are not that time.  You have just started down the new path for your life, and from what I see, it aint all that bad. 

Welcome to this Site, and these forums, and I wish you peace with this new change in your life path.  Walk calmly and peacefully, and learn all you can about this disease, as survival is often times connected very closely with knowledge about what this disease can and cannot do to you. 

You will be fine, so just stay here and keep communicating over the next week or two and you will find a host of people that will be glad to help you and guide you through this very strange time in your life. 

In Love and Support.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Poz Brit

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 05:39:59 am »
Hello Jag,
Welcome to these forums, and a new way of living Life, it’s still here, it can still be as much fun as it always has been, it’s just different?
Moffie has given you some good advice, please listen to him and the other long timers, as Knowledge of this bug, is the key to surviving this bug.
I wish you well and the strength to come to terms with it. Ask what you will, there is always some one listening and willing to help here.

John(UK)   

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 06:02:48 am »
Hi Jag

Welcome to the family.

I agree with Moffie, you need to slow down a bit..what you need is time, time to think about your situation, don't rush things, what you are going through is a normal reaction to your diagnosis, and stress, although natural, can cause physical symptoms..something you don't need right now.

HIV will bring on anxieties and one of the best ways to handle this is through information (the lessons here will help you)  learn as much as you can, all decisions relating to your life will be made by you from now on, so if your are unclear about anything talk and work with your ID Doctor, and of course you can always come here for advise.

Ideally, you need to get to a place where you can gain some peace or at least co-existence with HIV..that will come in time and believe me it is possible.

Personally I view HIV as part of my life and not something that defines it...but we all learn to deal with this differently, what works for one doesn't always work for another, in time you will find your own way of dealing with this.

Hugs
Jan :)

« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 06:05:46 am by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 08:50:49 am »
Hello Jag,

Welcome ! I am sorry you had to join us, but that fact that you found us, means somethiing. Receiving a positive diagnosis is a very tough thing to deal with. And those words are very mild... A big part of dealing with HIV, is to be able to be open and discuss it. It's not good to bottle things up. I speak from experience, as I bottled things up for the first few years, after I was diagnosed positive in 1985. As Tim, has said, you need to slow a down a notch or two. My emotions ran wild for about the first year, and in order to help keep myself subdued, I drank myself to sleep every night. Which is also not a smart thing to do, but that is how I reacted. Emotions will run wild, but eventually wiill settle down .

Take your time, take a deep breath and try to relax. If you haven't already, I suggest that you read the lessons, on this site. Once again, no rush... Take your time. If you have questions, and I know that you will have many, ask away !!

Click below, to get started :

http://www.aidsmeds.com/lessons/StartHere2.htm

Stay in touch ---------Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 08:51:30 am »
Hi Jag,

Welcome!

You've come to the right place.

Being brand new to this news, just take a breath. And another one. Good deep ones. And do that whenever you find yourself feeling overwhelmed or tense. Gradually you're going to learn everything you need to about taking care of your health. There will be some different things in your life. And your life can and will still be good.

So take some time -- as much as you need -- to get used to this new element in your life. If you haven't already read it, please read the lesson on disclosure. There should be some useful information there for you.

You're always welcome here to ask questions or to discuss anything that's on your mind.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 10:45:50 am »
Hey JAG,
You've had great advice. I would only add that you should look for a qualified doctor ASAP. When you find one, he/she will undoubtedly do a follow up Western Blot test to verify the quick test results.

Having a medical professional in your corner is very important. He/she can help alleviate some of your fears and monitor your health.

So, my advice, for what its worth, is to find a doctor right away. If there is an AIDS Service Organization in your area, they may have a lists of doctors ready for those in need. To find an ASO, go to the POZ Magazine home page and look for the link that will help you find one in your area.

Hang in there. Take several deep breaths and remember you are not in this alone.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 11:02:47 am »
Jag, sorry about your diagnosis..  Its going to be ok..  Taking care of yourself is great physically.  But that can come a bit down the road.  Given the stress you are under, dont change anything right now.  Just go about business.  By all means eat better.. But has far as quit smoking bla bla bla... You have a long time to work on that.  Thats a big one which will stress you out more than HIV.   Let HIV siink in..  Baby Steps sweetie..  Do what makes you comfortable in your diagnosis for now.   As many other great and experienced people have said.  Be easy on your mental aspects of this diagnosis.  It will and could be your biggest little hill you have to climb..   Dont tackle your whole life in a day.  You have some time to sort these things out.  You are on the right track on many aspects.  Get a HIV DOC, one that you can trust and be a patient, a friend and someone you implecitly trust.  Then down the road, you both get to play a very active roll in your health and all the things that come along down the road.   Let him/her be your guide in these new uncharted waters.   Be calm in knowing things will open up to you amd ideas and aspects of this will become second nature..  But not for awhile honey...

Love ;D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 11:05:06 am by Eric »

Offline Teresa

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 11:38:28 am »
Jag
Welcome to the forums. Everyone here is great. You will get alot of support and you will learn alot from these people.

You have been given alot of good advice. Take it easy and take alot of deep breaths. Your life isnt ending..just changing. We will always be here for you so you are never alone!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 12:15:36 pm »
Hi JAG,

Welcome to our family!   Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but you've come to the right place!   Slow down, and breathe.....you're going to be o.k.    You have a lot to learn, but there is no rush, just take your time.

Hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 08:31:37 pm »
Hi Jag,
Sorry about your diagnosis -- I was in your place last Aug, really scared, freaking out and sure life was over.  I think that Moffie really gave you the key piece of advice for your current state -- BREATHE.  Whenever you feel that panic rising, stop, close your eyes and take a deep breathe, nice and slow (heck -- take 2 or 3).  This bit of advice helped me stay sane enough to do what I needed to do.  Get a good Infectious Disease doc, research on the web (keep your own comfort to how much knowledge is helpful, in mind -- I like tons, others prefer little by little) and I found a counselor who specialized in HIV -- he was my initial saviour - talking about my fears was so therapeutic. 
Remember, the sun will still rise and with the right folks in your corner and (forgive me) a positive attitude, you'll be amazed how you can deal. 
Mike

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 09:18:54 pm »

Jag,

5 days in and you already came here. You're much smarter than me. I'm sorry for your bad news, but there's alot of people here ready to help you. Welcome to the family.

I'll 2nd all the info above and also 2nd the emphasis on just taking a deep breath, and giving yourself space. And really I just want to give you a big hug because your post reminds me so much of what I was going through 11 months ago. ((((JAG)))))

I'll also commend you on your username. Man I love that song!

much love,
brian

Offline purplerain

• finally figured out the pic thing
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 10:41:37 pm »
I just wanted 2 drop a quick note and say THANK U 2 all of those who responded... Your words of encouragement, and advice means a lot 2 me.  It helps 2 know that I have someplace 2 come for support.

THANKS AGAIN
JAG

Offline Danoly

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 10:43:31 pm »
...after 15 yrs with the condition I know how hard is to accept it at the beginning...ups and downs...the important fact is you still alive and with the new therapies you would have a very long life...
v
HIV+ 3/5/91
CD4:  50
VL:  254
Viracept, Viread, & Epivir

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.