Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:32:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 375
Total: 375

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Why aren't there Support Groups in my area?  (Read 6555 times)

Offline SensuousWolf

Why aren't there Support Groups in my area?
« on: January 21, 2009, 06:01:12 pm »
I live in the New Bedford, MA area and cannot find any kind of support group anywhere close by.  The closest location is Plymouth/Hyannis, MA or Boston and both areas are too far away to attend.

I've asked anyone and everyone I can think of including AIDS in Boston and my Therapist if there are any meeting/support groups in my area only to be told I'd have to go to the aforementioned towns/city. 

Another question.  Are there any volunteer groups that deal with helping those with HIV in my area, again I keep hitting road blocks, its so frustrating. 

I did try volunteering at a Hospice (it wasn't gay oriented) and when I told them I was Poz I never heard back from them.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Why aren't there Support Groups in my area?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 06:17:19 pm »
There probably just aren't enough people interested in your area to have a group.  I live right in downtown Philadelphia and we have a hard time getting a stable group of 6 to show up monthly, though our group is specifically for long-term survivors so that may contribute.  But I know just within our group we have some that drive 45 min./1 hr. to attend, so looking at a map of where you state you live I can't say that the information you are finding of the need to go to Plymouth or Boston is unusual.

Plymouth only looks about 30 miles away -- is that correct?  Or is the traffic just really bad?  Would something in Providence, RI work?

There's also a directory here that you can try to locate something with by zip code:

http://directory.poz.com/
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 02:36:59 am »
My local ASO tried to set up a support group in my area about 6 months ago and I told my counselor to sign me up as soon as he mentioned it.  I'm still waiting.  Unfortunately the counselors just didn't get the same sort of response from other people.  I was told fear of being "outed" as a + was a big factor.  Living in an area without good public transportation also really limits people.

I'm sorry I couldn't help but I can understand how you feel but I'm lucky that Chicago is only about 45mins away from me.

Best of Luck,
AA

It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline SensuousWolf

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 11:29:58 am »
I really appreciate the support you both offered and I did fill out a Volunteer on-line Application for the Greater New Bedford Health Center 5 minutes ago so lets see where that gets me.  I'll keep you up-to-date on my progress.

Although Plymouth, MA is about 30 miles away with the traffice heading to the Cape at any time of the year along with the prices for gas, I am looking for opportunities closer to home especially since I'm on a fixed income.

Offline positivmat

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 10:13:13 pm »
Hey I was having the same problem.  Actually there are four support groups within 25 miles of me, all with waiting lists.  You have to get a case management worker who seems to be very concerned with housing and basic issues but not really about being a support group.  So, i just started calling some of the monastery's in my area and found a Franciscan monastery near me that has a support group with room.  I would try the franciscans if you have any near you.  I was born catholic, but am not that religious anymore - so i am a little concerned, but i think that they will be good.  They were very welcoming.  After i go to the first meeting (first sat in april), i will ask if they have any connections to a place near you
Matt

Offline SensuousWolf

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 09:44:30 am »
Hi Matt and thanks for the information.  Since the posting I've become a Volunteer and Member of the Board for the Greater New Bedford Health Center so I'm going to try and start something in my area ASAP...Best of luck to you and thanks again.
Ric

Offline positivmat

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 10:15:42 am »
That's fantastic. I wish you the best of luck. Your community is lucky to have you. I wish we had better programs or more easily found programs.
Matt

Offline SensuousWolf

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 11:14:29 am »
Maybe you should think about relocating  ;D
Ric

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.