Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:16:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772953
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 459
Total: 461

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Enlarged Spleen with HeadSweats  (Read 7241 times)

Offline SDBryan

Enlarged Spleen with HeadSweats
« on: June 13, 2006, 09:48:38 pm »
I have been HIV + for (8) Years and have been on meds since becoming +. and have undetectable Viral load and Tcells above 500. Over the last year I have had pain under my left ribcage and recently had a CATScan done which shows and enlarged spleen which my doctors says is normal for long term HIV infection. In addition to the enlarged spleen, I have experience head sweats on almost daily basis that occur in late afternoon or evening. My doctors think the two are unrelated but I thing they are related and have read several articles on Chinese Medicine that talk about Spleen Qi Deficiency and its effect in overall Yin Deficiency caused by Spleen enlargement caused by HIV infection

Has anyone else had these symptoms and if so, can anyone recommend any herbal or acupuncture remedies.

Thanks

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
Re: Enlarged Spleen with HeadSweats
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 11:12:00 am »
Hi Bryan,
 It is not uncommon to experience splenomegaly from time to time. I have the same issue, as it seems to wax, and wane.
Every time I see Rachel, she palpates for liver and spleen enlargement, and then tells me she can't feel it. Last visit, I told her she ought tot be on my side of the spleen, then she could feel it. There is nothing to be done with it, at least by Western medicine. I have no experience with Chinese medicine, and would caution you about ingesting other herbs, or supplements, as there may be interactions with your med regimen. As long as the pain does not reach the level of too uncomfortable to bear, then it may simply be an anomaly of your HIV experience.
As for the diurnal sweats, those kinda come with the territory. Depending on your age, it may even be impacted by hormonal changes.(yes men do have a quasi menopause too) The only thing I can say is that, I  have a greater chance of having a sweat attack in the afternoon, or evening too. There are some things that may affect this. Caffeine in any form, as well as alcohol, and even some supplements.
 I would never presume to poo-poo your experience, but your symptoms sound very much like what we have all experienced at some time or another.
I admittedly know nothing of the use of acupuncture as a technique to alleviate your symptoms, if you try it, and it works, then great, but I would hate to see you fall victim to an unproven technique. There is a lot of quackery out there friend, and you must be cautious about ingesting anything, without having first researched the possible interactions with your meds.
I wish you well.

No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Christine

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 06:40:44 pm »
Hi SDBryan,

I have had a enlarged spleen on and off since being diagnosed in '93. The doctor monitors it, and so far it has not been a problem. I also go to an TCM acupuncturist, and have been diagnosed as having a Damp Spleen. It is my understanding that the Spleen in TCM is an energy (qi) area, and not the actual spleen organ. I receive Guasha treatments to build my constitution, and to help with energy levels and nausea. It is a form of acupressure that follows the acupuncture meridians. I feel better after the treatment, and it has given me some relief with nausea and fatigue.
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Christine

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 06:56:58 pm »
Hello,
I wanted to add to my previous post that if you do choose to go to an accupunturist, make sure they are licenensed. The person I go to has a westren nurseing degree, then went back to school and received a degree in Accupuncture at a TCM college.

I also don't use any herbs becasue I am afraid of interactions with the westren meds, and because my counts are really low I don't have accupunture with the needles in order to reduce any possible infections.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 07:18:36 pm »
Ask Water Duck, aka Siang

He could be of help.

hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline Shawn Decker

• "Gee, Shawn!"
    • MY PET VIRUS
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 03:08:58 pm »
Hey there,

I experienced an enlarged spleen once, right around the time I was diagnosed.  I was probably 10-12 years old, and I remember the jelly on my side and x-rays in the hospital, and everyone was kind of confused as to why my spleen was causing me trouble.  Then nothing happened, the spleen went back to its normal size a couple of days later and I haven't had an issue with it since.
Shawn

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.