Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:19:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37639
  • Latest: Glassxj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773168
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 335
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 297
Total: 298

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: If you see a roach in your restaurant............  (Read 7997 times)

Offline Jody

If you see a roach in your restaurant............
« on: January 28, 2007, 08:41:37 pm »
The other day I had breakfast in a restaurant in my neighborhood as I was off this past week, had some appointments and was home that day...Anyway I had scrambled eggs and potatoes and toast and a cup of tea and I was hungry indeed and it was actually quite tasty...the waiter came over and refilled my tea promptly and i was just about done when a roach crawled across my table...Now I know I live in a big city and roaches are an unfortunate part of our existence but having actually seen one will make it quite difficult to return to this establishment...I mean you figure roaches are around but if you don't actually spot one yourself then you can always hope they are not...if your don't ever see a roach in a restaurant are they still actually there??? I guess it is like the old expression..."If a tree falls in a forest and no one hears it does it still make a sound"?

Jody  ;)
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
Re: If you see a roach in your restaurant............
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 08:45:32 pm »
if your don't ever see a roach in a restaurant are they still actually there???

Yes.

They're only one of the most perfectly evolved species of the most successful class of animals (insects) ever.  They're sneaky.  And they're good.  And they've been hiding for tens of millions of years.  ;)
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Lis

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 08:48:46 pm »
At least you were able to finish before the roach tried to share!!   

As long as the food was good!!!! gotta love the BIG city!!!!

lis
poz 1986....

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 08:51:33 pm »
That girl has roaches in her hair !!

Sorry.  Had to get that out of my system.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 08:51:48 pm »
um...EW!!!

just goes to show you that even roaches like eggs and toast!
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 08:55:39 pm »
That girl has roaches in her hair !!

Sorry.  Had to get that out of my system.

I wuv you for that, Tim.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 08:57:40 pm »
I wuv you for that, Tim.

Just for that?

I doubt it.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 09:04:37 pm »

Just for that?

I doubt it.

Yes.  Just for that.  And only that.  ;)

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 09:06:58 pm »

Just for that?

I doubt it.

I "wuv" you for more...I like your, um...mind...

but back to roaches...EW!!
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 09:10:56 pm »
All this talk of roaches, I'm suprised Queen Akasha hasn't shown up yet!   :D

Her reply would likely be:  If you see a roach in a restaurant, put it in your bag to smoke later.

But back to the insect roaches:  Yes, ew!
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 10:46:38 pm »
Yup them critters are tough alright...be here long after we have killed ourselves off I bet.  Having been in the restaurant/hotel business most of my career, I have dealt with many of them.  And I don't mind almost any other bug, spiders, scorpions no problem.

And what really bugs me is when one of them comes home with me from the grocery store. Yuck!....and then there was the time I found a bug in my canned soup after eating half of it....the soup that is.  But that story is gonna lead to a thread hijack...and nightmares, so will shut up! :)
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 12:08:29 am »
I just saw an episode of Airline (the US version) and they were not going to let this old guy check his bad because roaches were crawling on it. They made him take it outside and open it and roaches were crawling everywhere, including up the guy's leg! It was revolting. He couldn't seem to understand what the problem was: I paid $30 for that bag!"

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 12:37:38 am »
All this talk of roaches, I'm suprised Queen Akasha hasn't shown up yet!   :D

Her reply would likely be:  If you see a roach in a restaurant, put it in your bag to smoke later.

But back to the insect roaches:  Yes, ew!

You know me so well, Thunter. If it doesn't have legs, finders keepers but it does have legs and whether I ate my food in time or not, I demand a refund. And a bit later I would be calling the news station that does a program called "Behind the Kitchen Door".

Is that normal for roaches to show up in establishment in the big city? I would take it as a sign that the people that own the establishment is nasty as hell. I would tell everyone I know not to eat there. It is because of things like that keeps me from eating out. And after hearing about the movie Clerks, I wouldn't piss the waiter/tress either.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 06:45:29 am »
In some countries, children would be happy to have tasty roaches for breakfast.  Now quit complaining.

(sorry, I talked to my mother this weekend)
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 08:39:33 am »
I woke up sat morning and found my cat playing beside my head with a big Houston cockroach. just so she doesnt bring any rats into the bed.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 08:44:43 am »
In some countries, children would be happy to have tasty roaches for breakfast.  Now quit complaining.

(sorry, I talked to my mother this weekend)

Hmmm, well let me know how that roach tastes, will ya? Would you like a side of cat with that order sir? ;D

Jack~~ And seeing your cat play with a big ass roach is ok because? Not saying it's better to bring a rat but why is a roach more acceptable. It sounds like your kitty needs some toys to play with.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline jack

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 09:04:08 am »
Queen, I live in Houston. Cockroaches,or waterbugs, are everywhere down here. My wife is scared to death of them, ever since she woke up one morning and one was looking down at her from her nose. They dont bother me anymore. You can go into the most expensive mansion in town and find a few. They are very big down here and hard to kill. This was the first one I have seen in my house since the end of summer (which is october here).
Whenever I hear my wife or daughters scream, I know its a cockroach.
There are always stories down here of people finding them crawling out their dinner in restaurants,not cool at all.

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 10:43:00 pm »
Cockroaches are the only animals I am terrified of. Like pee-in-my-pants scared. I will live happily in a house with rats, spiders, snakes, big untamed jungle cats, whatever. Just no cockroaches. (I'm puzzled why I hate and fear them so much.)

Ew. Ew. Ew.
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 02:45:00 pm »
Queen, I live in Houston. Cockroaches,or waterbugs, are everywhere down here. My wife is scared to death of them, ever since she woke up one morning and one was looking down at her from her nose. They dont bother me anymore. You can go into the most expensive mansion in town and find a few. They are very big down here and hard to kill. This was the first one I have seen in my house since the end of summer (which is october here).
Whenever I hear my wife or daughters scream, I know its a cockroach.
There are always stories down here of people finding them crawling out their dinner in restaurants,not cool at all.

Oh those big ass roaches. I know in Fl they are called Palmetto bugs, I think. I hated those things but you mean to tell me there isn't anything out there that will kill them, chemically? I remember trying to step on one and it attacked me.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline jack

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 03:24:53 pm »
yeah,the palmettos. Yes its fun to spray them but then the house stinks.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 03:28:21 pm »
Jody, Jody, Jody, I thought you were a true fag. If you were, you would have taken your roach spray out of your man bag and screamed like a sissy all the while spraying the roach spray as you were running out the door.  Try it the next time you eat at a Five Star Restaurant. :D

Warning: You can only do it once at each restaurant.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2007, 03:40:31 pm »
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!!!

Man bags are HOT.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2007, 03:56:12 pm »
AC, get your head out of the gutter. I wasn't talking that MAN BAG.  ;)

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2007, 04:03:35 pm »
Sorry, with recent events in my life its what I'm thinking about!!!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2007, 04:57:24 pm »
HRM.... people get freaked out about the silliest of things pitching a fit about a cockroach but go out and EAT roaches.... lobster are the cockroaches of the ocean doncha know.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2007, 05:01:06 pm »
HRM.... people get freaked out about the silliest of things pitching a fit about a cockroach but go out and EAT roaches.... lobster are the cockroaches of the ocean doncha know.

But lobsters are delicious!  ;D

And they're more closely related to spiders, by the way. 

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2007, 05:34:40 pm »
My house sits at the apex of two streets, and there is a huge sewer manhole(don't go there) cover almost in front of my property. The nice sewer men come by each year in the early summer, to suck out the sludge, or whatever it is they do.....
The last time they came, the nice man was a big burly fellow, like as in, I bet nobody messes with him much, and he gets this rod out that he uses to lift the cover.....a whole possie of sewer roaches came skittering out, and I nearly peed on myself giggling at the nice burly man doing a fabulous mambo in the middle of the street while trying to stifle a scream.
God, I hate those things. Especially when an errant one gets into the house from time to time. I know just how Jake's wifey feels.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2007, 05:41:29 pm »
Roaches are amazingly clean animals, they clean themselves whenever they see humans.

My fear is spiders!  I hate spiders with hair.  Bald spiders are quite alright. :)  I think I fear them because they have 8 eyes and I can't tell what they're looking at. :)

-joseph

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2007, 05:58:46 pm »
Boric acid, available from a hardware or a drugstore a/k/a RoachPruf takes care of the roach problem (having lived in NYC).  Odorless, so unlike the sprays or, God forbid, bomb, there is nothing nasty to smell or worry about all over your glasses and china.  The trick to using it, however, is to know that it will spread like a dust cloud it is, so apply as near to the floor/ground/bottom of things as you can or be prepared to be engulfed in it. 

Jody's incident reminded me of trying to eat in a West Village diner off Christopher Street where they wiped down the bug spray which was all over the table, the booths, the floors, etc., :(  I also learned that because Indians do not kill insects because of their religion (IF this is true) to beware of certain restaurants.  Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2007, 06:15:49 pm »
I agree Boric Acid is the best, but I cannot use it because of Sweetie. She still manages to foil my "kid proof" devices on the cabinets. There isn't much that can keep a determined ferret out of stuff. ;)
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2007, 03:26:48 am »
Roaches are amazingly clean animals, they clean themselves whenever they see humans.

My fear is spiders!  I hate spiders with hair.  Bald spiders are quite alright. :)  I think I fear them because they have 8 eyes and I can't tell what they're looking at. :)

-joseph

I don't care for spiders either but I won't kill them because they eat other bugs. Which they serve a purpose unlike roaches who just eat, shit, and multiply.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2007, 03:17:23 pm »
Since I see we're sliding a little off the topic of the roaches...I'd just like to add that those @#$%^!!! blasted crickets that chirrup all friggin night drive me crazy.  Seems there is always one that waits till I get in bed to start singing away and I cannot rest until I find it and silence it.

The other night there was one hiding under the cabinet in my bathroom and all I had close by was some window cleaner to spray his way...but it worked!  Of course on a cockroach it wouldn't have done anything.

And spiders are just fine with me, I even rescue them from the shower if I see them in time :)

Now back to our originally scheduled post.
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2007, 03:34:38 pm »
Tucsonwoody, I know that song too. "Itsy-Betsi spider slide down the shower drain." :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.