Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:40:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 511
Total: 511

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: creatinine  (Read 3996 times)

Offline andrew1027

creatinine
« on: November 10, 2013, 04:13:04 pm »
I have to go in and have blood work done because my primary care physician say that my creatinine levels are high.... I have no idea what any of this means I know that it has to do with my kidneys but not sure what... My creatinine level was elevated before but I had to go for this test and then the doctor that I had at the time said after receiving the results that everything was fine.... the new doc looked at the same test results and said it was still elevated.... I am so confused
Andrew

Offline buginme2

Re: creatinine
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 05:19:44 pm »
 What are the numbers?
 What meds do you take?
 You may have to switch to a combo that doesn't have Tenofovir,  if your on one that does now.

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 08:07:09 pm »
I had a similarly confusing experience. At the recommendation of my PCP I saw a nephrologist twice this year due to elevated creatinine levels. I have not experienced any symptoms and have generally been in good health. After several tests including an ultrasound, which he compared to a past CT scan, he said my creatinine level indicated stage-3 kidney failure but every other test indicated there is nothing abnormal about my kidney function. He reviewed my creatinine levels for the past 9 years and said they have remained elevated but essentially the same the entire time. He also said he saw a HIV-negative bodybuilder with the same situation the same day we had a follow up appointment. His advice to me was to avoid daily NSAIDs, avoid IV contrast unless it is truly necessary and for my PCP to continue to monitor the levels and if I had any symptoms to contact him.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 08:09:33 pm by GSOgymrat »

Offline aaware72

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 08:08:10 pm »
I have always had above average creatinine levels.  I also eat a high protein diet.  My doctors have always told me that elevated levels are due to my diet.  They told me that this is "my normal"  if you will.  What we would need to do is watch to make sure they do not increase from there. 

Not sure what your particular situation is, but this is my experience. 
"Yes, knowledge is power. Self-knowledge brings mastery of one's body."

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 09:46:39 pm »
I see many questions about this to Nelson Vergel, who is a body builder and answers questions at The Body.  It seems I remember he says if due to high protein diet, you would have to consume large quantities of protein.  I know he and the docs there also say very muscular people often have higher numbers, which is normal for them.  And, tenovir is often a culprit, too. 

And, they always site this calculator, which they say both patients and docs should be using.  It is the Cockcroft-Gault calculator.  Probably not offering any info, that you don't already know. 

http://nephron.com/cgi-bin/CGSI.cgi

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 10:17:51 pm »
What is the relationship between creatinine levels in the blood and the creatine that gym people take?

At the recommendation of my PCP I saw a nephrologist twice this year due to elevated creatinine levels.

Don't take recommendations from recreational drugs.

(This is a bad joke.)
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline joemutt

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 10:55:17 pm »
creatinine is different from creatine. creatinine is a by product of protein digestion which normally is flushed through the kidneys. if the level stays high in your body it means the kidneys do not function optimally to get rid of it. i am at 1.1  in every test for years.1.1 wd be the borderline maximum in thailand. therefore my doctor wants to change me from truvada to kivexa. i hesitate because i do not know if it is really necessary. i have a vague numb feeling in my right kidney at times. does anyone have experience with these issues?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 11:03:10 pm by joemutt »

Offline aaware72

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 08:45:00 pm »
What is the relationship between creatinine levels in the blood and the creatine that gym people take?

There is no relationship
"Yes, knowledge is power. Self-knowledge brings mastery of one's body."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.