Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:40:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37639
  • Latest: Glassxj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773168
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 245
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 239
Total: 239

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New to Atripla and trying to hang in there...  (Read 4682 times)

Offline notinkansas

• **Viral load <2, T-cells >1200, CD4 >1000**1/18/12
    • I'm not the only one who had problems with Sustiva(Efavirenz)while on Atipla.
New to Atripla and trying to hang in there...
« on: August 03, 2011, 04:08:52 pm »
I was diagnosed Oct 31 2000.  Yeah what a way to celebrate halloween...I've been on meds for 3 years before stopping my medicine for 8 years (under doctors care of course) until just recently when my numbers started to go down.  My t-cells are above 800but i decided to go on meds before anything bad happened.  So it's my 7th official day on Atripla and despite everything I've read I'm still slightly treatment naive.  In 2000 I started off on combivir and abacivir-great meds, but resisted them in about 2 years.  I would just vomit every morning after awhile.  The vomitting was a routine of mine and I didn't feel better until i threw up bile.  Since I've started Atripla I've known about the insomnia (which i already have so it doesn't bother me that much but it sucks) and the dizziness & fatigue, but haven't had much nausea and that scares me (sadly) since I had it so frequently on the combivir-abacivir.  My appetite doesn't really exist until I smoke some marijuana-yes, I know what risks are involved with smoking while taking meds, but it helps.  My sexual appetite came back this morning and that was a small victory.  No pun intended.  Right now I am dreading getting labs done next month- I don't even like to leave the house due to the extreme heat.  Triple digits are no way to start off a new medication in my opinion so it's been rough.  My anxiety has been tough on me is my biggest complaint aside from the fatigue and dizziness.  Any words of advice?  Thanks everyone
veni vedi vici -“I came, I saw, I conquered.”

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: New to Atripla and trying to hang in there...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 04:24:30 pm »
Hello

I wouldn't sweat over a bit of grass, it's not a serious interaction on HIV meds. It might improve some aspects of life.  :) The only thing I will say is that on and efavirenz based combo like Atripla it might make anxiety worse.

As for the in the head side effects, set a time limit and then change if you ain't happy. They do tend to settle down after a few weeks on this combo.

Good luck.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline buginme2

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 09:12:28 pm »
It sounds like your tolerating the Atripla much better than your last combo.  I don't understand why it has you scared that you dont have nausea.  Are you worried the Atripla isnt working since you HAD nausea on your old meds? 

I take Atripla and have not once had nausea and it has worked very well for me.  Therefore, I would expect it to be working on you too.  Good luck, hang in there, try and relax.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline notinkansas

• **Viral load <2, T-cells >1200, CD4 >1000**1/18/12
    • I'm not the only one who had problems with Sustiva(Efavirenz)while on Atipla.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 02:57:17 pm »
Thanks for the thoughtful replies!  I'm still just taking it one step at time.  It just sucks that I have to move into another apartment in less than 2 weeks.  I am praying I get a lot better before then. 
veni vedi vici -“I came, I saw, I conquered.”

Offline miss daisy

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 10:27:46 am »
I have been on atripla for six months now. I tested poz in 1991 but only started meds this year. I have not had side effects except the couple of weeks inititally where I had trrible insomnia. But I am fine now and am also worried that the meds are not working. My CD count was 127 when I started then moved up to 274 with a viral load of 266 in three months. I am due to go for my next tests and am anxious because only just found out that i need to take meds on empty stomach. (i have been taking them during or even after meals) I also have on occassion taken them while having a glass of wine. Is there a way in which the meds should be taken? I am a little confused because my doctor said I was "doing alright".

Offline rocky48

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 09:28:27 pm »
miss daisy, I take my Atripla just before going to bed. I still have a glass of wine with dinner.  Everyone will find the best way to take their meds. We are all different.
Started Atripla on 4/23/11
5/27/11   CD4 - 572 VL - 130
9/30/11   CD4 - 566 VL - UD
3/23/12   CD4 - 640 VL - UD
9/21/12   CD4 - 699 VL - UD
Switched to Triumeq its been a couple years now.
8/27/18   CD4 - 756  VL - UD

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 09:56:24 pm »
Like  :)
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Mp11

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 03:55:31 pm »
anxious because only just found out that i need to take meds on empty stomach. (i have been taking them during or even after meals)

Keep in mind that the main reason they tell us to take it on an empty stomach is to reduce side effects.  Taking it with food, or more specifically something containing fat, increases the absorption rate of the sustiva which in turn could increase the side effects.  If you aren't having side effects, it does not seem to matter - it's about how your body reacts.  Personally, I wait at least an hour after eating (longer if it was a high-fat meal), but don't know that I'll do it that way forever if it comes down to a chance of forgetting it.  One friend on Atripla takes his at 8:30 every night even if it's with a burger, fries, and beer and doesn't seem to be affected.
May 2010 - tested negative
May 2011 - THE sample taken
June 15, 2011 - VL 16782 - CD4 357 / 35.6%
July 22, 2011 - VL 188031 - CD4 378 / 31.4%
July 30, 2011 - started Atripla
Aug. 25, 2011 - VL 1611
Sept. 23, 2011 - VL 408
Dec. 23, 2011 - VL undetec - CD4 738 / 31.1%

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 04:07:56 pm »
One friend on Atripla takes his at 8:30 every night even if it's with a burger, fries, and beer and doesn't seem to be affected.

I washed mine down with my after dinner liquor the other evening.  Patron XO Cafe... YUM!!  Carolina BBQ with rice for 'supper'.  

Offline newbieguy

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 07:50:19 pm »
Everyone is different I would say after only 7 days, just hang in there it will get better. Some cant tolerate it for allergic reasons like rashes or just the anxiety and dreams it causes, but I would say give it some more time and see. As some have stated already, I think that they tell you to take it on an empty stomach because food makes your body absorb more of the drugs in Atripla quicker. Obviously some can take it with food without issue though. Me, I dont eat two hours before I take it right before bed. And then I get up the next day and eat a good breakfast (with plenty of coffee) lol. When I started it I felt like crap for the first couple weeks but then it was like someone flipped a switch and I felt AMAZING! Better than I had felt in years. I had (and still do) so much energy. It makes me realize now just how good it was that I decided to start on meds when I did, even though my viral load was not through the roof. Good luck to you!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.