Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 09:43:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 162
Total: 163

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Severe back pain - truvada, norvir and reyataz  (Read 12628 times)

Offline loscang

Severe back pain - truvada, norvir and reyataz
« on: July 10, 2012, 07:09:20 am »
Hi everyone...

Wondering if any of you have experienced this and if so I would like to know how you manage this...

Problem:
The muscles on my back seem to be as tight and as hard as steel all day. Massage and gym and stretches help but I wake every morning with the same sore back muscles which seems to undo the gym, stretching, massage...

Drink lots of water, eat well, take vitamins etc... So I know it's not a mineral deficiency or something of that sorts...

Started when I began this course about 3 months ago. Before that I was on combivar and alluvia... Like the current meds more except for the back muscles which are killing me...

It's beginning to affect my work, life, sleep, etc so I need to find a solution. Don't want to switch unless I have to, like these meds - best so far for me. Sore back is triggering headaches etc...
Ps also suffer from fibromyalgia which is being aggravated by the stiff and sore back muscles...

Thanks in advance for any assistance... 

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Severe back pain - truvada, norvir and reyataz
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 10:04:58 am »
how soon after switching meds did this problem begin? I've been on that combo (R/N/T) for nearly a decade and never heard of back/muscle issues related to that combo/meds. Can you actually pinpoint this problem to be related to the med change. I ask because not everything is always HIV or med related.

How old are you? Age plays more of a part in a lot of aches and pains than people often want to give it credit for. Did you change your bed? Do you have more stress now for some reason? Stress is often another huge issue for aches and pains. Did you take part in an activity recently that might have affected you back muscles? Think hard on that one. If you've been an active person, it could be highly likely that some activity was the culprit.

For myself, I have been out-of-alignment, tore a muscle in my back in my early 30s, played too hard through my 30s and 40s (work, exercise, amusement parks, hiking and biking, yard work, stress), have a ripped ligament in one shoulder and have aged to 50 being poz since I was about 23 (which means a lot of inflammation over the yrs) so my back often gives me quite a bit of trouble with no one definitive answer as to what is exactly wrong. I know that periodically, I pull the "wrong" muscle in my back (the same old injury) and my back can be painful and messed up (hunched over, walking funny) for several weeks to months (!!) before I feel "well" again.

Just throwing out some ideas for you to think about here. I hope you find some answer - and if not, at least some relief. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 10:05:29 am »
oh! ::)
and welcome to the Forums ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline loscang

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 04:10:38 pm »
Haha thanks for the welcome... been here for while but never had a reason to post until now...

Am 30, moderate-low stress, active lifestyle and no sports injuries (well knees only) and have not been sleeping oddly or changed my bed.

This is def meds related. Did a cross reference of all 3 meds to make sure I wasnt losing my mind when my back muscles were killing me and all 3 have as side effects back aches...
http://www.drugs.com/sfx/norvir-tablets-side-effects.html      http://www.drugs.com/reyataz.html      
http://www.drugs.com/sfx/truvada-side-effects.html   

Lol was hoping someone else has solved this mystery...!!

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 04:56:05 pm »
How long have you been taking these meds and where in your back is the stiffness?

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline surf18

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 11:01:45 pm »
Hmmm interesting. I'm on truvsda almost two years now. Have had back pain every day since then and prior. I just blamed it on work outs and changed mattresses three times.

Offline surf18

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 11:02:24 pm »
Hmmm interesting. I'm on truvsda almost two years now. Have had back pain every day since then and prior. I just blamed it on work outs and changed mattresses three times.

Offline loscang

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 06:16:49 am »
It's quite literally every muscle in my back. Upper shoulders, shoulder blades, flanks along the spine, lower back.... Even muscles leading up to my neck.

If Its a back muscle it's sore and tender and hard as steel...
Also means the base of my neck is very sore as well...

So pretty much the entire back...

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 01:58:31 pm »
hmmmm

might be the tenofovir in Truvada, which can cause this (muscle cramps), in which cas it might pass (usually does).

might be your kidneys being affected, also from tenfovir in Truvada, so get them checked (small chance but important).

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline chico_mkd

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 02:26:04 pm »
I don't think that the pain is related with this combo or with any combo..

I'm 6 mounts HIV+, not on meds yet, and I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia and also had severe back pain and muscle pain in my back and neck. I had never before had pain like this.

Eat healthy, lot of vitamins, exercise on daily bases, also 30 years old..

I was told that the virus is the reason for fibromyalgia and for the back pain..

I'm skeptic a little bit about HIV causing this but from the other side there is no other reason I can assume :-\

Cheers

Offline loscang

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 12:59:44 pm »
Yeah its quite annoying, the severe pain is affecting my ability to exercise and massage and exercise dont seem to be helping.

So without being able to exercise my back gets worse. When I do exercise it's agony during the session due to tight muscles...

As a result I am gaining a lot of weight. Trying to do all the right things but this is really starting to affect me.  Am sleeping worse and feeling worse. Tired and zombied out...

Work being affected, congative functions and ability to just get through a day. Also having to take pain pills which means more chems in the system and more toxins for my body to purge.

Ah this is not fun!

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 04:41:09 pm »
Work being affected, congative functions and ability to just get through a day. Also having to take pain pills which means more chems in the system and more toxins for my body to purge.
so have you consulted your doctor about any of this yet? Any bloodwork done? Any thoughts of switching combos?

also, why is it that some people think of their life-saving meds as poisons or toxins?
Toxins can be small molecules, peptides, or proteins that are capable of causing disease on contact with or absorption by body tissues interacting with biological macromolecules such as enzymes or cellular receptors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxin
Clearly HAART medications do not fit this definition. HAART interrupts the lifecycle of HIV, but does not cause a disease by absorption into the body. The word "toxin" is definitely a misnomer and implies something dangerous about the meds which just isn't true.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Common_ground

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 05:09:12 pm »
How is your sleep?
In what position do you usually sleep?
Stiffness includes neck?
Do you grind teeth while sleeping?

My take: This sounds related to the CNS and nerves, it could be that your are tense during sleep. Often this can be triggered by stress, both physical and mental, but if you havent experienced any of these the new meds would be a probable cause.
2011 May - Neg.
2012 June CD4:205, 16% VL:2676 Start Truvada/Stocrin
2012 July  CD4:234, 18% VL:88
2012 Sep  CD4:238, 17% VL:UD
2013 Feb  CD4:257, 24% VL:UD -viramune/truvada
2013 May CD4:276, 26% VL:UD

2015 CD4: 240 , 28% VL:UD - Triumeq
2015 March CD4: 350 VL: UD

Offline loscang

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 12:40:00 pm »
Lestherman I guess by toxin I mean taking any form of chemical whether haart or painkillers for muscle pain.

The compounds in them do require our bodies to expel the waste, so when I mean toxin its in that reference. I do know the haart keeps me alive so it's the lesser of.

Don't wanna change meds too soon, this is my third in a year and the best so far with side effects.  Only severe one is the back pain.

Common_ground I guess I have very little stress apart from my sore body which in fact may be causing my stress come to think of it. It's def the meds as I didn't have this on alluvia and lamzid which I was on 4 months back...

Thanks for the suggestions. Every bit helps to figure out how to live with the weird stuff (side effects)...

Offline Common_ground

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 01:24:19 pm »
I have something similar but I guess its not near as severe as you situation. I kind of want to stretch my back often, similar to when you sit in an uncomfy position for a while and want to stretch it out. It doesnt really bother me but Its like I cant shake off that tension somehow. Occurs maybe a few times a day.
2011 May - Neg.
2012 June CD4:205, 16% VL:2676 Start Truvada/Stocrin
2012 July  CD4:234, 18% VL:88
2012 Sep  CD4:238, 17% VL:UD
2013 Feb  CD4:257, 24% VL:UD -viramune/truvada
2013 May CD4:276, 26% VL:UD

2015 CD4: 240 , 28% VL:UD - Triumeq
2015 March CD4: 350 VL: UD

Offline chico_mkd

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 10:39:13 am »
loscang, you can try with daily consumption on Vit B12 and Magnesium and maybe with some meds for relaxing your nerves when you are feeling stressed.

You can consult with your ID about this proposal, because from the start I was told that maybe the reason for my condition is too much stress.

However, I'm using these vitamins beside all

Cheers

Offline loscang

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 02:01:17 pm »
Relief has a name and its called Celebrex!!

What a difference it has made to my life!  I am fully functional again!  YES!!!!

Thanks everyone for your help and assistance!

Offline blackscorpion

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 01:52:53 pm »
I'm so happy I found this forum and this topic. I will talk to my doc about Celebrex, I am also experiencing arm and neck pain with stiffness in the neck; my doc prescribed lyrica and Tylex 750, this didn't lesson the pain much.

Offline Abfab

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 01:38:38 am »
Hi,
I ve been on atripla since 2009. Three years ago I started having lower back and neck pain. 
I went to fysio, changed my mattress, drunk more water. At the x-Ray my back was fine but This year it was getting very bad . The pain was terrible. Some days I had to stay in bed.
I didn't know what to do anymore.
My doctor ask me if I wanted to switch to triumeq which I did not for the back reason ( didn't even think of that)
After one month on triumeq my back pain disappeared and hasn t been back since.
I m convinced now that it was coming from atripla.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.