Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 15, 2024, 01:31:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37594
  • Latest: FloBeee
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772732
  • Total Topics: 66292
  • Online Today: 181
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 185
Total: 186

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Segregation of HIV Prisoners  (Read 11493 times)

Offline tednlou2

Segregation of HIV Prisoners
« on: April 20, 2010, 12:04:48 am »
I was just reading the article here on poz.com about the push to get Alabama and South Carolina to stop segregating HIV poz prisoners.  While I do disagree with the arm-band thing and segregating HIVers from dining, prison work, and other things like that, I wonder whether it is a good idea for other places in the prison where they aren't supervised--like in the cells. 

I read so many articles about how HIV is running rampant in prisons and when those prisoners are released, they spread it in the public at large.  I've read so many prisoners get the virus while in prison.  This affects blacks and poorer people as we know the judicial system is not fair and these people are more likely to end up in prison for things people with money and good lawyers many times don't go to prison for the same crimes or the whole crack/cocaine issue.  I haven't made up my mind on this issue.  Wondering what you guys think.  Should HIVers share cells with negative prisoners?

http://www.poz.com/articles/prisoners_segregation_HIV_1_18302.shtml

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Segregation of HIV Prisoners
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 07:02:15 am »
Yes they should be integrated but there should be education and testing and treatment and condoms. 
But I don't know the real situation of living in prisons. For instance, rape.  It would suck big time if you went in, HIV- and were raped by antisocial psychopath types who are HIV+ and don't give a shit if they transmit.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 07:14:44 am »
All prison inmates in Ohio are tested for HIV but jails, are a different story.

Offline metekrop

• Is time running fast for you.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 08:04:58 am »
I mean it is pointless to segregate or discriminate positive individuals.  It is not a jock and the most important thing should be to teach and show people how this disease is very dangerous.  And in most areas are the best HIV educators are the ones who are the victims of this virus.  I mean the one who knows his status is the best to transfer his experience and convince others about the problem he is having.  HIV was used to seem to me a jock until such time I know how serious in somebody's life.  I think also it is a good move that this country is going to the HIV ban where all positives can get into this country and live in a society equally.   
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 10:21:41 am by metekrop »
Diag.on 12/8, 2000, CD 440 VL 44K, No Meds
12/08 - 2/09 CD< 50 & VL >500k hosp'z.
St. Atripla - 7/09 CD 179, VL 197k
10/09 CD 300 VL U
3/10 468 U
8/10 460 U
12/10 492 U
3/11 636 U
8/11 530 U
1/12  616 U
7/12 640 U
12/12 669 U
5/13 711 U
11/13 663 U
4/14  797 U
10/14 810 U
4/15 671 U
10/15 694 U
3/16 768 U
8/16 459 U
2/22 780 U
8/31 940 U
2/26 809 U
8/18 882 U
3/28 718 U
8/15 778 U
2/25 920 70
8/11 793 U
2/22 690 U
6/8 834 U

Offline tokyodecadence

• A one room disco.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 09:30:02 am »
HIV seemed to me a jock until such time I know how serious in somebody's life.  I think also it is a good move that this country is going to the HIV ban where all positives can get into this country and live in a society equally.   

....what?
[.Fodão.]

Offline mecch

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 09:41:25 am »
I understood perfectly and agree :)
Its like google translate, you have to fix it up a bit.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Boze

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 09:44:00 am »
I don't think one can have a reasonable opinion on this issue without statistics - how widespread is rape in prison? How many individuals have got the disease in prison over last X years, both via willing and unwilling participation in a sex act?   
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Mar10 - Diagnosis; cd4 690 - VL 19,000
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jun10 - started Atripla ; VL 113
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Aug 10 - UD, CD4 810, 52%
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 09:52:17 am »
I don't know enough about the intricacies of prison life to comment and/or properly form an opinion on this issue.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mecch

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 10:54:39 am »
Yeah how can we know, without real stats.  And could we trust the stats?

Offline Boze

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 11:01:39 am »
Well, there are two sides to the story:

a) rights of hiv+ people who are segregated
b) rights of hiv- people who are potentially at risk

Stats allow one to estimate the risk that (b) face. If it's negligible, we should worry about (a). But if there is a real and significant risk for (b) then authorities may be justified.
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Mar10 - Diagnosis; cd4 690 - VL 19,000
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jun10 - started Atripla ; VL 113
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Aug 10 - UD, CD4 810, 52%
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 01:48:02 pm »
You don't have to be a prisoner in Cuba; if you test positive you are transferred to the western part of the island, and placed in Hitlerish concentration camps forever.  Nice isn't it.  How unfortunate it is that most HIV+ people on the rest of the planet, neither give a shit or know of this stomach turning fact.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 02:10:30 pm »
I was talking to a friend today who I know did time in a Alabama prison . He was released over a year ago . He tells me when he was there HIV poz inmates were housed in diffrent dorms at night but that was about it . He also told HIV poz inmates were given double food rations at meal time due to diffrent caloric needs .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 02:16:15 pm »
You don't have to be a prisoner in Cuba; if you test positive you are transferred to the western part of the island, and placed in Hitlerish concentration camps forever.  Nice isn't it.  How unfortunate it is that most HIV+ people on the rest of the planet, neither give a shit or know of this stomach turning fact.

Honey, this is no longer true.  I made this point the last time you stated it, and Tim Horn provided a link backing up what I said.

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 03:31:44 am »
...It would suck big time if you went in, HIV- and were raped by antisocial psychopath types who are HIV+ and don't give a shit if they transmit.

I won't get into a discussion of the prevalency of rape in prison (though I personally find it easy to believe it is pervasive, I have no evidence or personal experience), but I would like to point out that in the context of a social hierarchy where rape is one of the main levers of power or power/status identifiers, the rapist would not really be 'antisocial' or 'psychopathic', but merely participating in the normal and 'successful' way.  In other words, it is the institution which is to blame (and thus society), not the 'individuals'.

By saying this I am not excusing the behavior at all, but pointing out that we can't just blame it on 'psychopaths' any more than we can blame crime on 'bad guys'.  Rape in prison is an expression of the brutality of our society as a whole, not just an aberration.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 03:40:32 am by LordBerners »
Please, just call me Berners.. or Baron.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 06:09:25 am »
Rape is not the only sorta sex going on in the jug.

MtD

Offline Phoenius10

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 02:41:36 am »
They should be segregated to some degree, if only to protect the neg people.  Like kept in a different wing of the prison at least during night.  That way no hanky panky can happen with a neg cellie that didn't know.  Everyone would know who the pos people were and be careful should anything happen.  But separating at dinner or elsewhere is not necessary unless one pos prisoner was known to be trying to spread the disease.  Some people are in prison for that you know.  I'd want that person segregated or watched closely.

I just wonder if prisoners are given access to all hiv drugs.  They should be.

Offline mecch

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 02:57:51 am »
Antisocial Personality Disorder  (ASPD or APD) is defined by the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual  as "...a pervasive pattern of disregard for, and violation of, the rights of others that begins in childhood or early adolescence and continues into adulthood."[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder

I think ASPD isn't even enough to get a psychiatric commitment as a "sexually violent predator" or "sexually dangerous person".   

In my book rapists are clearly ASPD and I don't know of a society that condones rape. Except some gross instances in which it is legal to rape your own wife.

We're assuming a rape in prison is forcing another to have sex against his will.  Society "may" create ASPD people (I'm not sure) but individuals are still responsible for their crimes. 

Sorry for the hijack. 

Offline Cliff

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 02:59:56 am »
Separating people with HIV in prison (or otherwise), strikes me as creating 2nd class citizens.  There are consequences of separation.  If they are locked in some special wing, are there services that they won't have access to (as I doubt the prison is funding services for both areas)?  

What about their confidentiality.  Your friend sees you in the "special wing" and then goes off and tells all your family and friends that you have HIV!

If people think there is a risk of sexual transmission, we should encourage safe sex discussion, condom/lube distribution in prison (plus periodic testing), not lock our fellow pozzies in a special ward (even if only at night)!

Offline mecch

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 03:06:53 am »
Separating people with HIV in prison (or otherwise), strikes me as creating 2nd class citizens.  There are consequences of separation.  If they are locked in some special wing, are there services that they won't have access to (as I doubt the prison is funding services for both areas)?  

What about their confidentiality.  Your friend sees you in the "special wing" and then goes off and tells all your family and friends that you have HIV!

If people think there is a risk of sexual transmission, we should encourage safe sex discussion, condom/lube distribution in prison (plus periodic testing), not lock our fellow pozzies in a special ward (even if only at night)!

In theory I agree. But seems like unreliable ground for "best practice" to give best result.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 03:14:20 am »
What's best results, zero transmission? 

Offline mecch

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 08:50:43 am »
From a prevention of HIV objective, I think the best result in prison would be the same as not in prison. That is - if you give the public education, condoms, treatment, there are less infections than there would be without. 

But prison is a different ground and I think we need an epedemiologist with prison experience to explain the circumstances. 

I would imagine we are applying all sorts stereotypes and prejudices.  I bet for instance its not unheard of for a HIV- dominant top to use condoms to protect himself, even when somehow forcing someone to have sex.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 09:44:24 am »
I would imagine we are applying all sorts stereotypes and prejudices.
Yes, like criminal (especially those living with HIV) have less rights than we do (or even less than those criminals who don't have HIV).

Me, I don't need an epedemiologist with prison experience to convince me that marking people living with HIV in prison is a good thing.  It ain't and am glad it's being stopped.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 10:30:18 am »
Hmmm.  So if I were in prison I'm pretty sure that I would let anyone know who tries to rape me that I was positive, so as to avoid being raped.  Question is do you think that would stop them?

Offline Cliff

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 11:05:05 am »
With a face like that, no.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2010, 11:22:19 am »
With a face like that, no.

I know someone who's going on the christmas card list.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2010, 01:40:46 pm »
Hmmm.  So if I were in prison I'm pretty sure that I would let anyone know who tries to rape me that I was positive, so as to avoid being raped.  Question is do you think that would stop them?

Really?  Hot gang members with tattoos would make me position myself with a very wide stance.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2010, 06:04:31 pm »
Really?  Hot gang members with tattoos would make me position myself with a very wide stance.

LOL I don't have an ex con fetish...then again in a confined setting I might change my tune.  Although there's not a lot of lubricant just hanging around prisons.  That's still a concern for some of us.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2010, 06:06:07 pm »
Although there's not a lot of lubricant just hanging around prisons. 

Done time, eh?

MtD

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2010, 06:07:56 pm »
Done time, eh?

MtD

I have a uniform fetish, I make pillow talk with my prison guard/cop tricks.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2010, 06:16:06 pm »
I have a uniform fetish, I make pillow talk with my prison guard/cop tricks.

MtD

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2010, 06:18:08 pm »

MtD

I would let her do dirty dirty things to my backdoor.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2010, 06:19:06 pm »
I would let her do dirty dirty things to my backdoor.

Just like Shatner. ;)

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2010, 06:26:18 pm »
Although there's not a lot of lubricant just hanging around prisons.  That's still a concern for some of us.

I hear New Norvir induced fecal mucosa is great for that.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2010, 01:22:13 am »
I hear New Norvir induced fecal mucosa is great for that.

I guess that would work.  In the town I grew up, there was a guy everyone called the Valvoline Queen.  They claimed he used motor oil.  While I wouldn't be surprised by that, I'm sure that was a rural legend.

Offline mecch

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2010, 01:58:10 am »
Who's everyone?  Straight people called him that? Grannies?
I find it exciting if straight people were curious enough to invent such a provocative lewd knickname.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2010, 02:49:43 am »
Who's everyone?  Straight people called him that? Grannies?
I find it exciting if straight people were curious enough to invent such a provocative lewd knickname.

I should have clarified.  When I said everyone, I meant all the town gays.  I can't imagine any of the grannies thinking of sticking something up the butt.  Then again.....

Offline mecch

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2010, 07:27:05 am »
Motor oil, peanut oil, butter, bacon grease, crisco,
I wonder what they use in prison:
mini packets of mayonnaise?
spit?
nothing

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2010, 01:16:36 pm »
Motor oil, peanut oil, butter, bacon grease, crisco,
I wonder what they use in prison:
mini packets of mayonnaise?
spit?
nothing

Alas, blood.
Please, just call me Berners.. or Baron.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2010, 02:14:22 am »
Alas, blood.

Prisoners are very inventive.  When I first did the do, I used Vasaline because I had always heard people talk about that being used for anal sex.  It is actually for external use only and comes from petroleum oil.  Since the ass seems to soak up everything so easily, I wonder what octane rating people get?  Seriously, it does seem like it could be toxic in the blood. 

Offline David_CA

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2010, 09:58:06 am »
Why all the lube questions about prison?  How about a good, old-fashioned spit 'n' shove?  I always thought we were equipped with all the lube we'd require (saliva).
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2010, 10:21:01 am »
Why all the lube questions about prison?  How about a good, old-fashioned spit 'n' shove?  I always thought we were equipped with all the lube we'd require (saliva).

"The way god intended"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.