Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:34:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 350
Total: 351

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Update on the Boston Blood Club  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Basquo

Update on the Boston Blood Club
« on: January 23, 2013, 12:47:08 am »
This has been a pretty shitty trip so far, pun intended. After the "last meal" Sunday night, I was hungry by the time I got to the airport at 6am Monday. My 8am flight was delayed, cancelled, rescheduled, delayed again...after leaving at 12:30 I arrived in Boston at 9:15, via Dallas AND Chicago! I am seriously reconsidering my appreciation of American Airlines.

I got into the office with Dr. Kwon after 10. It was a little weird going into a medical office after hours and have the physician consent me, explain the procedures, and draw blood. His phlebotomy skills are pretty "sharp" for not being a mid-level.

I got in to my hotel room and started the prep after 11. That lasted until 3am. I was sore and bleeding this morning, not to mention nauseated from drinking "NuLytely" for the better part of a gallon.

The staff at the GI Center was very nice and professional. I gather they had to give me a lot of drugs during the procedure because I know I was gagging during the upper and vomited when they took the tube out. Not sure where that came from as I was pretty clean. I saw the nurse come around with a syringe for my IV at least 2 times and that was after the two initial doses. When they got around to the tush side, it hurt every time they advanced the scope a little more. They took around a dozen biopsies in each end. I was still conscious as they took me back to recovery but so drugged that I soon fell asleep. That was unusual as I'm usually bright-eyed and ready for fajitas and margaritas after 1.5 days of not eating.

We had to pass Whole Foods on the walk back to the hotel, so I got a couple of slices of pizza, Caesar salad, chick peas and sunflower seeds...stuff I haven't had for days. I gobbled it all down, went to sleep, and woke up miserable.

I guess it is the biopsies from my stomach, which I've never had before, that made me queasy, crampy and not tolerating PO very well when I woke up from that nap. I went back down and slept another two hours. Upon the next waking, I discovered that the hotel restaurant had closed, Whole Foods had closed but CVS was open. I found the best thing possible for my condition: animal crackers. I ate the entire box with no issues.

Assuming I feel better tomorrow, I'll hit Winmill Fabrics in Chinatown, have a quick visit with Dr. Kwon then visit the nearby Science Museum and Planetarium before finding a nice juicy lobster to tear into. That is, if I'm feeling it tomorrow. I'm still just a tiny bit sore in my gut. Anyone have that after an endoscopy, with or without biopsies?

For those who haven't seen my thread in the Research Forum, I'm in Boston taking part in research studies of Long-Term Non-Progressors. It normally entails just blood draws but they asked me if I would consider doing a few other studies while I'm here. They put me in a nice hotel near Massachusetts General Hospital, close to shopping, restaurants and transportation. It was a perfect time to get away from work for a week--and that's another thread that has not quite matured in my head yet.

Best,
Creighton

Offline emeraldize

Re: Update on the Boston Blood Club
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 01:05:19 am »
Thank you for putting your tract on the line for the rest of us. Enjoy Boston and your time off.  Em

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.