Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:17:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 384
Total: 385

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: You don't Meet People Like Moffie Every Day  (Read 8417 times)

Offline Jeffreyj

You don't Meet People Like Moffie Every Day
« on: July 31, 2006, 06:01:58 am »
I had the pleasure of meeting Moffie on Friday. We met at the AZ health Center in downtown Phoenix. Lucky for me I was only 6 miles from the meeting sight. Poor Moff had nearly a 2 hour trip. The wonderful lady who took the trip with him seemed happy to be there. Does Moffie have a led foot???. LoL. The 3 of us got there 45 minutes early as there was oddly no traffic that day.  So we had plenty of time to talk and get to know each other. I can't tell you what a sweet, funny guy Moffie is. I told him how awesome he looked for his age. He said "Yeah, my tits look pretty nice, don't They? Thanks to kaletra". As I looked down at my two rather large breasts, I grabbed them both and squeezed them. "KALETRA" I yelled. "So that's reason for these titties! Now I know. That's been bugging the crap out of me the past few years"We compared brest size, and figured we were tipping the "C" cup scale Of the breast thingy. We then discussed our neuopothy. It's always nice to be able to talk with other people aqbout common problems.
It soon dawned on me that this man has prolly forgot more then most people know
!
. After a few minutes, it was clear to me that this man is a FOUNTAIN of information when it comes to HIV/AIDS. It felt great being in the presense of a man who has been through the mill. He made me feel "normal." In a short period of time, I had the feeling that I had known this man for decades.
The meeting got under way, A man was talking stats that made no sense. "That's dumber then stupid" Moffie blurted out. All 30 people present laughed. Moffie knew everyone by their first name. It was obvious that this man was loved and respected by everyone there. He knew all the angles, and was very much on top of things. And all the while, he was typing not missing a thing. I was impressed, and felt honored to be in the presense of such a caring, knowledgeable individual. I felt like I was "The Chairman Of The Board". He knew every one, and was well aware of everything that what going on. And like Anderson Cooper, thoughout the meeting he was "keeping them honest". I can't tell you all what an impressive man this is.
The meeting lasted 90 minutes. I asked him afterwards:"What are you geeting paid for this?" He said, "Gas Mileage, and that started last year." I thought how lucky people in his corner of the world are to have such a caring person look out for all of the details that it takes in running the Ryan White Tittle II program. I thought most have no clue. But it was obvious Moffie was not doing it for fame and glory. He was doing it out of the kindness of his heart. He was doing it because it needed to be done.He wants to do it. No strings. This is a great man with a great heart.
Another thing I noticed when I was there that I previously had no idea about. It blew my mind that there were DOZENS of people doing the very best job they could in distributing the tittle II Ryan White program. I was very touched how each and every person there(DR'S, volunteers, pharmacists, prevention people, administrators etc...) actually cared about doing a good job. It was clear to me that each and every person there that day actually CARED> I would have never known of this had I not been at that meeting.  Since my days starting in 1984, I was so used to getting shit on, by nurses, pharmacists, healthcare workers you name it. It was a constant battle for SEVERAL years.
So needless to say, I was very pleasantly surprised at the change that has taken place over the years.THIS TOUCHED ME DEEPLY.
So for those of you that are working here in the USA and have insurance, good for you. But I think you should all know, that when the day arrives that you can't work, it is programs like Ryan White that are going to keep you alive.It is the reason I am able to manage things today.. So I thought you should know: People like Moffie, who don't get paid one red cent, comprise the engine that makes it all work. I learned so much on Friday. I have a great deal more respect and love for Moffie. He is a specail person who fucking cares. He has inspired me to do more. I have currently applied for the Ryan white tittle One program for my area.
Thank you Moffie, and all the people that make it possible for those of us less fortunate, to live. Moff has opened a door for me, and I fully intend to walk though it. Lucky me!
Positive since 1985

Offline blondbeauty

Re: You don't Meet People Like Moffie Every Day
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 06:19:16 am »
Thank you! Now I can imagine Tim a little bit better. I am so far away...
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 07:08:25 am »
You are lucky indeed when you hang out with an angel. And I am sure he was glad for your company as well. 
Andy Velez

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 07:38:41 am »
Hey Jeff,

If I knew you were meeting Tim, I would have asked you to give him a kiss for me on his orifices !! ;)

I am glad you guys got together. I would like to meet Tim someday !!

The Best-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline bear60

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 08:01:26 am »
I knew there was a good reason I love Moffie!
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Teresa

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 08:39:56 am »
Jeff,

It sounds like you had an amazing experience with your meeting with Tim.

I knew Tim was a special man from reading his posts here and you just confirmed exactly how special he truly is.

I think your pretty terrific too!

Hugs
Teresa

Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Trish

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 09:16:52 am »
Hi Jeff,

I had the pleasure of meeting Tim in Toronto last year, and he is one of the kindest, gentlest & compassionate men I have ever met.  And he's also fun to shop with...  Jan (anniiebc) and I had a ball shopping with him in Toronto and it was kind of funny watching an old geezer like him run for the bathroom (an attack of the wonderful meds we all take) in the department store.  (sorry Tim....had to be told). 

I'm so glad that you had a chance to meet "Big Daddy," as I so fondly like to refer to him.

And listen boys, I have some extra "C" cup bras lying around from Victoria's Secret if you would like them (all lacey & frilly in some very hot colors)... they hold the girls in place very nicely. :D ;) ;D

Hugs,

Trish
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 09:41:32 am »
Jeff and Tim... I think both of you are quite spectacular..... Thanks for keeping us funded and alive!

Love :)

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 09:55:48 am »
BLUSH
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 09:58:29 am by Moffie65 »
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 11:06:38 am »
I am very much looking forward to it in Montreal over a cold one and some cool bud!!

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 12:17:06 pm »
Hi Jeff!

I think it's terrific that you made the effort to meet Tim, and to sit in on your first Planning Council meet. You and others do not know this, but it was due to Moff's prompting in January that started me on the membership trail to the Sacramento HIV Health Services Planning Council. As of today, I have become a known face inside the conference rooms with 30 other committed individuals. I applaud you in your effort to apply for membership, and encourage others to do the same.

I have had the distinct honor and priviliege to get to know our Moffie since the beginning of the year through weekly phone chats. We have run the gambit of topics, let me tell you, and I am so anxious to finally get to meet him in person. There are too few times in this life when we meet like souls, and my life will never be the same because of my friendship with this wonderful man.

We must remember that those of us who have stepped up to the advocacy plate do so from the heart; I had a conversation with another woman locally just last week who actually asked to be paid to attend these meetings, and had even figured out an hourly rate she expected to be paid.
(This, above and beyond the fuel reimbursement offered by the Council for travel to and from any and all meetings...). While I was glad to hear that someone else from my county was interested in joining the group, I must admit that I was very disappointed to hear of her request. It's just not the way things work, although, in a perfect world, I would agree that a stipend of some sort for we volunteers would be welcome.

We do it because representation must be made of the Affected Community, whether the community has asked for it or not. Being an integral part of the decision making process is so important, and worth every darn piece of paper I have to read. I have experienced nothing but welcome support and encouragement from the Planning Council members, men and women who represent just about every aspect of care providers that you can imagine. It is my priviliege to be amongst them.

On a humorous note, you just cracked me up telling us about you two gentlemen comparing notes on your bra sizes!! Girlfriend Trishie seems to have a stash of several for you to choose from, so grab em' while they're hot!!

I would have given anything to be sitting there with you at the table when Mof blurted out "Dumber than stupid!"...I can just hear him saying it and can only imagine the rousing support that the members gave him...he certainly is not afraid to call a spade a spade!

Wonderful story today...thanks so much!! Good luck on your efforts, Jeff, and welcome to the trail!!

With love,

Zephyr :-*
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 03:45:15 pm »
Well Jeffery...that was a mouthful.  But I agree with you... :o
You don't meet people like Moffie everyday.........perhaps not even twice in a life time.
I'm looking forward to meeting him myself............. :P
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline HollyStar

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 03:52:24 pm »
How cool, you got to meet Tim! It also sounds like both yours and Tim's tits are bigger than mine, LOL.
Diagnosed  July 28th 2003

'I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.' -Diande Ackerman

'Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?' -Frank Scully

'If your ship doesn't come, swim out to it.' - Jonathan Winters

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 07:21:21 pm »
Thanks for sharing your visit with Tim and your sensitive insight. Compelling to say the very least. On an equally serious matter, were I not completely adjusted to the notion of being a ballerina up top, I dare say I would be reconsidering the competitive exposure in Montreal. I'll bring Kleenex and dark glasses just to have a backup plan!!!!

Offline Eldon

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 11:25:25 pm »
Hello Jeff, it is Eldon. Thank you for sharing your meeting with Tim, isn't he an awesome guy? You can learn a lot from him, I have!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.