Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:52:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 220
Total: 221

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: YOUR face on the cover of POZ magazine.  (Read 37372 times)

Offline pozhealthy

YOUR face on the cover of POZ magazine.
« on: October 26, 2008, 11:40:35 pm »
Would you allow it? I work in healthcare and we have copies of the magazine in the hosptial. POZ magazine interviewed me at length for a story regarding my large student loan debt after being forced to leave dental school and how this has effected my life since 1991. They were VERY interested until the very end when they wanted to set up a time to photograph me for the magazine.  I told them I was very uncomfortable with this and that it should not matter that my face be a part of the story. After that is was like a cold shoulder. Phone calls and emails unanswered.
I finally emailed Regan Hofman the editor who explained to me "we do not do long  feature stories about people whose faces we can't show..."
What difference does it make. I am wonder what would you do?
i chose not to show mine and lost the story
so,i no longer read poz magazine, i am boycotting it and urge you to do the same.
thanks

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
Re: YOUR face on the cover of POZ magazine.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 11:50:54 pm »
Would you allow it? I work in healthcare and we have copies of the magazine in the hosptial. POZ magazine interviewed me at length for a story regarding my large student loan debt after being forced to leave dental school and how this has effected my life since 1991. They were VERY interested until the very end when they wanted to set up a time to photograph me for the magazine.  I told them I was very uncomfortable with this and that it should not matter that my face be a part of the story. After that is was like a cold shoulder. Phone calls and emails unanswered.
I finally emailed Regan Hofman the editor who explained to me "we do not do long  feature stories about people whose faces we can't show..."
so,i no longer read poz magazine, i am boycotting it and urge you to do the same.
thanks

Kind of hard not to put a FACE on a story dont cha think? here's my question to you? what do you have to hide? it must be something?................just sayin?  ???

I'd do it in a heart beat if I was ask too, I have nothing to hide, about who I'am and that I had AIDS for the last 18 to 20 yrs.  HELL YEAH, I would do it  ;D BRING IT ON  Poz Mag, I'm ready & willing.............
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 11:56:05 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 11:56:23 pm »

I'd do it in a heart beat if I was ask too, I have nothing to hide, about who I'am and that I had AIDS for the last 18 to 20 yrs.  HELL YEAH, I would do it  ;D BRING IT ON  Poz Mag, I'm ready & willing

Tell them you have to consult your agent. Don't just GIVE it away! ;D

Offline xyahka

• Dance together!! aha!! aha!! I like it!!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 12:09:11 am »
Why would a magazine post an article about someone who was affected because of being hiv poz without a face? How could people realise this is real and not an invented story?.

Plus, why would someone like to tell his/her story to Poz Mag without showing his face??? I mean if your goal was to break stigma... you have to show your face. After all many people talk about not feeling ashamed of who they are... and yet do not follow that with actions.

There are several levels of activism... some of them don't require your face... but Poz is respected for showing real life experiences of those living with a disease and not being ashamed of it. Part of the fight is to show your face to make others understand we are guy next door type. Perhaps this does not suit you, then i don't see a reason why you should be on the cover of Poz.

Juan Carlos
13/03/07 1er diagnóstico /Peso: 79kg
19/04/07 CD4: 494 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 80kg
19/07/07 CD4: 659 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79.5kg
06/03/08 CD4: 573 (después de meses muy deprimido) /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79kg
17/09/08 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 84Kg
06/02/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 85Kg /HCV: Neg /HBV: Neg.
07/03/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg / Gym 3días/semana y Natación 2días/semana.
12/05/09 CD4: 470 /Cviral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg.
08/07/09 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 77Kg.
09/12/09 CD4: 510 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg. No medicinas aún
10/01/10 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
15/05/10 CD4: 320 /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
01/02/11 CD4: 291 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
05/05/11 CD4: 366 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
27/07/11 CD4: 255 /CViral: 138000 /Peso: 78kg.

Disfrutando y aceptando una nueva vida...

Offline pozhealthy

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 12:22:24 am »
Since I work in healthcare and had a very bad experience at the last place I work where some people saw pictures of me at an HIV event it had left me wary of showing my face again. Since I am working on the front line I felt it best to remain anonymous. I would have let them show me from the back.  I mean you read about people being spat on and getting fired for disclosing their status, so i decided to not show my face. If any magazine should understand this I thought it would have been POZ.
So i am a bit surprised by some of the reactions. Of the ones who would put there face on .....are you working? Do you work in a hospital that has and Aid Outreach Office and programs?
For me I felt it could jeopardize my job. So I chose not to. The should have made this point clear to me before we did the interview.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 12:59:09 am »
Sorry you and POZ wasted your time. Hope things turn out better for you int he future.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline SteveA

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 01:07:45 am »
I can't believe the replies you're getting not just from the magazine but from people here as well. I don't see why your face is needed to tell the story. It's POZ News for goodness sake! I also agree that they should be aware of the need for some anonymity where a job in the health care field is concerned! I'm sorry to hear this, but I'm honestly not at all surprised.

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 01:23:39 am »
I have to agree with Juan Carlos. POZ's thing is showing people who are very open about their status. I don't think there is anything wrong with not wanting to have your face on the cover of a magazine. There are numerous other publications and ways you can tell your story if that is what you want to do.

I work in healthcare. Would I be on the cover of POZ? No. Not because of my job, because I really don't think it would be an issue. I wouldn't want to do it because it would involve "outing" my partner and he's not ready. It may not make sense to people but I feel "we" have HIV, it is not just about me.

If it was just me I would only be on a magazine cover, any magazine cover, if I had something important to say... which I don't.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 01:32:57 am »
I can't believe the replies you're getting not just from the magazine but from people here as well.

Sorry, SteveA, but the whole point of POZ is disclosure. Hence Regan's face, Peter's, Tim's, and even mine.

As GSO said, there are plenty of places for people who wish to remain private about their status. POZ is not one of them. I Urge you to research the magazine and the site before expressing your outrage.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline xyahka

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 02:03:27 am »
I think the point is... Poz has its style of fighting stigma, if it does not suit you... then Poz is not the best option for the activism you want to do. I'm sure there will be some other options out there.

[/quote]
Since I work in healthcare and had a very bad experience at the last place I work where some people saw pictures of me at an HIV event it had left me wary of showing my face again. Since I am working on the front line I felt it best to remain anonymous. (...) Of the ones who would put there face on .....are you working? Do you work in a hospital that has and Aid Outreach Office and programs?

I work as Marketing manager in a clinic of a well known Dr here. I am dealing with clients and media all the time... and remember i live in Latin America, where stigma is really serious thing. Still i have a blog with my face. Do i get afraid sometimes? yes... like a week ago when "someone i recently knew" told me he found my blog using google. Yet, it was my decission to blog and talk about this after a month of my diagnosis. They (poz mag) requested i had to have a face picture if i wanted to blog. I hesitated but did it.
Poz Mag has its standards, and you have yours... they didn't match. Nothing else to do.

[/quote]
They should have made this point clear to me before we did the interview.

I don't see why Poz should have mentioned it, they are a magazine that writes about real life experiences of people fighting the stigma of living with aids... for them to talk to people who are not affraid of showing their faces is normal. As you wanted to say something... perhaps they though you were part of that group.

Juan Carlos
07/03/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg / Gym 3días/semana y Natación 2días/semana.

Offline ademas

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 02:36:25 am »
I think I'm with the majority here (that perhaps you should consider another avenue to direct your activism).

The cover of POZ--or even an article in POZ--wouldn't be my cup of tea, either. 

I'm out as a gay, POZ man with all of my family, all of my friends, and anyone else I choose, but I'm still a very private person.  I don't think a choice to maintain a level of privacy in your life is necessarily an indicator that you feel you have "something to hide".

I've volunteered with ASO's, food banks, special events, and many other AIDS-related causes, and that's a good fit for me.

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 03:22:25 am »
Would you allow it?

I would without hesitation, if I was asked.

thanks

It is certainly your choice not to show your picture, and Poz magazine's prerogative not to print your story without it.

If you have some concerns about your privacy, perhaps it is better for you not to have the story run at all. Even if Poz magazine ran the story without your picture, what about your name ? Would you ask them print a fake one too ? Names are much easier to search for than pictures these days. The story will remain out there long after your hospital discards the copy of Poz magazine with your story. Once you go public about something, you cannot undo it. It sounds like perhaps you are not quite ready to do it yet.

I was in the media last month in a story related to my status. The newspaper that ran the story did not ask for a picture. But they did ask for my name, and they printed it. When a TV crew showed up at my house the next day uninvited after they read the paper, I was happy to oblige them and give them an interview, which went on the air 5 hours later. I don't regret it for one second. Everybody I know who has seen it had a positive reaction, including many people who didn't know my status previously like my neighbors. Even though I jumped with both feet, I did have a little bit of apprehension.

Whatever your disagreement with the editor of Poz magazine, I don't see the rationale for boycotting the magazine.

PS : I realize I may not exactly fit the "long-term" qualification yet. My 2 year poz anniversary is just coming up. I would not have responded here were it not for the media exposure subject.

Offline carousel

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 06:25:01 am »
I can totally sympathise with you not wanting to show your face in a magazine.  I would not do the same, although most people in my life know, there are important people who I haven't told (a few friends and my parents).

At the same time, I think Poz are totally within their rights to not go ahead with the article with no image.  If one of the key issues for many of us is stigma, I think it's important that magazines such as Poz, do not feed into that by presenting anonymous articles, where other HIV people do not get a chance to engage with stories of people living with this virus.  And by putting images, I think most will engage more closely with these stories.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 06:52:59 am »
PS : I realize I may not exactly fit the "long-term" qualification yet. My 2 year poz anniversary is just coming up. I would not have responded here were it not for the media exposure subject.

And yet you post here anyway. Long-Term Survivors was not created subject specific for you to post in on a whim. If you feel the need to post on this particular topic, start your own thread in Living With.

edited to add:

And please, no need for a response.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 07:14:03 am by Dachshund »

Offline SteveA

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 07:42:31 am »
Sorry, SteveA, but the whole point of POZ is disclosure. Hence Regan's face, Peter's, Tim's, and even mine.

As GSO said, there are plenty of places for people who wish to remain private about their status. POZ is not one of them. I Urge you to research the magazine and the site before expressing your outrage.

Sorry to poop on you parade but straight from their about POZ statement here on this site:

Working with photographers, writers, designers and doctors, our team chronicles the HIV epidemic, both in the States and overseas. We publish POZ magazine ten times a year, POZ.com, Real Health magazine, Combocards, and a variety of other health care resources. POZ is published by Smart + Strong, a division of CDM Publishing, LLC.

Nowhere does it say full photographic disclosure is a requirement for chronicling the epidemic. As a news source isn't it the story that's important? Journalistically speaking, I think his story is an important one to tell with or without pictures. It's not like he asked that his name be withheld. I also think that the focus of the story should be on what's being done to him not how well he photographs.

What you all seem to be ignoring is his statement to the fact that POZ Magazine holds a prominent place in his working environment where coworkers and clients alike are all privy to it's cover. How anyone can not see that forcing him to put his face on the cover just to have his story told is disrespectful to his privacy is beyond me.

As far as your assumption that I'm outraged goes, I'm not. Nor, as I said, am I surprised by their actions.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 07:46:51 am by SteveA »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 08:01:29 am »
Nowhere does it say full photographic disclosure is a requirement for chronicling the epidemic.

I would have thought reading the bit about 'working with photographers' might haven given it away. You may not be satisfied with the answer, but I'm sure if you contacted POZ they would be willing to give you the reason (though they don't have to) for their policy. Bottom line, like it or not, they have the editorial control to make decisions as they see fit. Oh, and you might want to try some Imodium or avoid parades altogether.

Offline xyahka

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 08:17:14 am »
I don't see the point to keep on complaining, I agree with many others who have pointed Poz has the right to decide what to print or not, and wether a picture is must or not. They think it does, period. I actually agree with them.

What you all seem to be ignoring is his statement to the fact that POZ Magazine holds a prominent place in his working environment where coworkers and clients alike are all privy to it's cover. How anyone can not see that forcing him to put his face on the cover just to have his story told is disrespectful to his privacy is beyond me.

First, none did force him to put his picture, and the proof is that he didn't.
Second, if he is so interested in his privacy, why should he be doing an article with his full name? Once you accept to appear in media with your personal details listed there is not violation to your own privacy. The picture thing is just matter of editorial rules.

I am not also a LTS, haven't reached my 2 years as Poz, yet i feel confortable writing here because:

Welcome to the Long-Term Survivors Forum!
[http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=11166.msg139452#msg139452 ]
At the same time we hope that those who are newer to living with HIV will be able to benefit from the knowledge and experience that will be shared here. We are not excluding anyone from participating here, but we do ask that you be mindful of the special needs for which this particular Forum has been established..

and i don't think too many years are needed to answer this topic which interests all of us.

Juan Carlos

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 09:02:10 am »
I don't see the point to keep on complaining, I agree with many others who have pointed Poz has the right to decide what to print or not, and wether a picture is must or not. They think it does, period. I actually agree with them.

First, none did force him to put his picture, and the proof is that he didn't.
Second, if he is so interested in his privacy, why should he be doing an article with his full name? Once you accept to appear in media with your personal details listed there is not violation to your own privacy. The picture thing is just matter of editorial rules.

I am not also a LTS, haven't reached my 2 years as Poz, yet i feel confortable writing here because:

Welcome to the Long-Term Survivors Forum!
[http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=11166.msg139452#msg139452 ]
At the same time we hope that those who are newer to living with HIV will be able to benefit from the knowledge and experience that will be shared here. We are not excluding anyone from participating here, but we do ask that you be mindful of the special needs for which this particular Forum has been established..

and i don't think too many years are needed to answer this topic which interests all of us.

Juan Carlos

Well then we might as well change the title of the forum to Long-Term survivors, or anyone else who wants to post here. I'm glad to see most people are respectful of what it means to be a Long-Term survivor, but I stand by what I said. If the topic is so important to you, start your own thread in Living With. You must feel a twinge of guilt, if you feel it necessary to explain yourself. 

Please do not respond.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 09:15:41 am »
Unless this space is given the same respect as the Women's Forum, it's almost meaningless.

Welcome Thread

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 09:31:55 am »
Unless this space is given the same respect as the Women's Forum, it's almost meaningless.
Amen.

Honey, be thankful you have a face they would WANT to show.   However, I certainly understand your reasons and your reluctance to be photographed.   As JK said, just move on, and put it behind you.

The fact that it WON'T make POZ shouldn't diminish your story at all.   Everyone here has an HIV life story, or life 'history'......and we certainly won't all appear in POZ.

hugs,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2008, 10:24:44 am »
I do think it is weird that they have some blanket rule that you have to be able to show your face as a criteria for a story. I think they are limiting their pool, but alas there are so many rules I never understand so why try now!

I wouldn't let it get you all upset. You'll find another venue to share your story if you feel strongly about it.

Good luck!
Mike :)
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2008, 10:27:00 am »
thanks

I respect your decision to boycott the magazine, but I wonder why you would go so far as asking others to do the same.  Your privacy is yours, not ours.

"we do not do long  feature stories about people whose faces we can't show..."

Judging from Reagan's reply to you I feel I can safely assume this was going to be a featured article.  What good is a featured article without a face?  

I respect your reasons though as far as why you would not want to do so...  Some people seem to think that coming out about one's status is paramount for good numbers and great health, while ignoring the stress that might be brought about by doing so.

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 10:38:00 am »
Am I the only one seeing this top in Living With HIV?  I dont understand the Long Term Survivors conversation.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008, 10:40:05 am »
Am I the only one seeing this top in Living With HIV?  I dont understand the Long Term Survivors conversation.

It was originally posted in LTS lastnight.  I went over there I admit...  I logged out first though ;D.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 10:47:25 am »
My face was in POZ this summer and I would've been on the cover if they had asked, but I think once I signed the consent they could pretty much put my face where they wanted to without further conversation.

I work in a very visible position in a large hospital and the only thing different was that it gave me the opportunity to disclose to my new office mate, a young straight male. He was nothing but respectful.

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008, 11:16:12 am »
Maybe, just maybe,
this would have given you the exposure you needed to attract someone who would help you with your problem? Since this magazine is going all around the US, there would probably be a chance that someone or some group would be able to assist you with your huge school debt.

Offline denb45

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2008, 11:20:04 am »
Tell them you have to consult your agent. Don't just GIVE it away! ;D

LOL   ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline denb45

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2008, 11:29:32 am »
I would without hesitation, if I was asked.

It is certainly your choice not to show your picture, and Poz magazine's prerogative not to print your story without it.

Tell them you have to consult your agent. Don't just GIVE it away! Hey Madbrain...I think we need an
 agent.......................... ;D

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2008, 11:34:43 am »
pozhealthy -- so let me get this straight..  you're asking all the members of the AIDSmeds/POZ forums to boycott POZ Magazine, but continue posting here, even though they are both under the same editorial control.

You're also asking us to boycott a magazine that's primary purpose is to fight the stigma we all suffer from as people living with HIV.  The magazine attempts to do this by presenting the stories and faces of people like us, and doing so proudly, just like other glossy magazines, as an example for those that might be dealing with fear and shame.

So even though we are surrounded by many enemies that wish us dead (or would LOVE for us to keep quite and hidden from view), your main activist push in these forums is to boycott POZ Magazine.

Did I get all this right?

In my view, activism is meant to help others -- it is fighting for a greater good.  Good activism shouldn't sound like a selfish rant (I'm not calling you selfish, but I do think your post sounded a bit like that).

Peter

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2008, 11:37:37 am »
First seeking the publicity of agreeing to a profile article, then blocking it by refusal to show ones face; ultimately is the firtilizer of stigma.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline ademas

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2008, 11:41:39 am »
Maybe, just maybe,
this would have given you the exposure you needed to attract someone who would help you with your problem? Since this magazine is going all around the US, there would probably be a chance that someone or some group would be able to assist you with your huge school debt.

great point.

it could help you find the help you need, and--in turn--help (or inspire) someone else in a similar situation.

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2008, 12:19:59 pm »
I have no intention of boycotting Poz magazine over this.  I can understand why pozhealthy might not want his photo in the magazine.  But then I understand why Poz decided not to proceed with the article.  I have always seen one of Poz's primary goals as fighting stigma, so omitting someone's photo in a feature story just doesn't further that goal. 

Sharkdiver makes a great point when he says that the article could be a great opportunity to find someone or some organization who might be able to help you out with your debt problem.  Opportunities like this don't come along every day.

As for myself, I'd have no problem putting my face in Poz magazine, if I had some relevant story to tell.

Regards,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2008, 12:33:02 pm »
the article could be a great opportunity to find someone or some organization who might be able to help you out with your debt problem.  Opportunities like this don't come along every day.

Sometimes dire straits require that elusive element known as bravery.

Bravery often requires sacrifice, the least of which being anonymity. POZ magazine, from what I read, tries to reward bravery, usually that which includes (but is not usually limited to) the sacrifice of anonymity to help fight the stigma associated with HIV/AIDS.

Has it failed in the past? Oh Good God yes. It has given publicity to people who make me cringe.

But I do not doubt for a moment that it's editorial heart remains in the roughly the right place.

There have been and are always grumblings about POZ selling out to pharma, to the mainstream glossy idea of what HIV looks like in the 21st century. I have been one of the grumblers on occasion. But at the end of the day, show me a better publication, a better website, a more relentless effort to dispel the stigma. I can't find one.

Welcome Thread

Offline denb45

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2008, 12:35:37 pm »
You may have missed out on an opportunity of a lifetime, and just remember THIS: that window of support you may have gotten outta this, may be gone forever................just something you should have considered before you decided not to put a FACE on your story ???
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 12:37:47 pm by denb45 »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2008, 04:59:55 pm »
I can't believe the replies you're getting not just from the magazine but from people here as well.

Steve, nobody is being rude.  Not showing ones face in a POZ feature story only serves to feed into stigma.  Do you REALLY want that?  It's unfortunate, but that's the reality.

Ultimately it's pozhealthy's decision, and it's one we must all live with.  Such is the nature of HIV.

ps:  I should be on the cover of POZ every month.  In fact, even my parents would appear on the cover with me... they're more "out" about my status than even I am, and I'm quite out.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 05:01:56 pm by philly267 »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2008, 05:26:49 pm »

Who exactly reads POZ magazine?  Where can one find this magazine by the way?

Oh I know...

POZ magazine is usually found in clinics for people dealing with the HIV virus, so how does his not wanting to possibly out himself to his coworkers add to the stigma? 

Oh I know...

It doesn't!!   Dealing with all his stress over his economic situation I can fully understand him not wanting to be judged by his coworkers over his health situation, which quite frankly is personal...

Is the stigma that everyone  is referring to in our own HIV+ community?  I think not...

I agree he shouldn't be coming here to ask us to boycott it, but then again who are we to tell him that he should plant his photo in the mag?

Not everyone has the same size foot so don't ask a person to walk in your shoes.  I'm with SteveA on this, I am a bit surprised everyone is pouncing on this guys back.  He explained his job is next to the clinic that supplies the POZ magazine to it's patients.

I don't know if those people on disability remember to well, but activism is generally not well received in the work place...

Give the guy a break already...

Thomas

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2008, 06:12:59 pm »
I agree he shouldn't be coming here to ask us to boycott it, but then again who are we to tell him that he should plant his photo in the mag?

I don't think anyone has done this. We have only pointed out that one cannot always dictate the terms of ones own notoriety.

The OP wanted his story told by a magazine which features prominent POZ people, yet did not want his face published. POZ chose not to publish the story based on that unsurprising decision. The OP then came to this site and suggested a boycott. This suggests that the OP does not wish to own his choice, but rather punish POZ for their quite obvious editorial terms.

I believe a break has been given, in that the replies have been civil, even amid disagreement. As another poster pointed out, this poster is undergoing crippling financial hardship (which, BTW, people on disability CAN identify with). This exposure might or might not have led to some avenues to alleviate that hardship. He chose discretion and anonymity over that opportunity, which is absolutely his choice to make.

We are not always brave, and not always able to place ourselves in a prominent position and risk stigma. But sometimes, those choices come at a price. Just as bravery often requires sacrifice, so does the alternative often come with it's own limitations.

I certainly hope that the OP finds a way to solve his financial problems, and becomes more comfortable with himself and his obvious struggle with activism and being upfront about his status.

BTW, the implication that those on disability do not understand workplace stigma is rather offensive. Applying for section 8 housing assistance, food stamps, SSDI, SSI and other programs remains an ongoing and recurring humiliation. No one is exempt from stigma and discrimination, from outside judgment and the threat to self worth.

There is no place safe from stigma, where HIV is concerned.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 06:51:43 pm by jkinatl2 »

Welcome Thread

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2008, 06:20:54 pm »
Pozhealthy, I understand you and I understand the journalist of POZ. But how can your picture (published) can affect your life is the most important thing of all.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2008, 06:33:00 pm »
There is no place safe from stigma, where HIV is concerned.

amen to that! so all we can do is break the stigma when we can, and live with it the rest of the time. ;)

i don't know the terms that POZ presented when requesting the OP's story; but perhaps it needs to be reviewed to make sure the interviewees understand that photos are also used (a name printed in an article is less revealing than a name along with a picture).
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2008, 06:41:14 pm »
I do think it is weird that they have some blanket rule that you have to be able to show your face as a criteria for a story. I think they are limiting their pool, but alas there are so many rules I never understand so why try now!

Actually I believe Reagan Hoffman got her start at POZ by writing a monthly column where she never showed her face.

Offline Rayray

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2008, 07:24:30 pm »
Why would you boycott POZ mag its here to help people and show people living with hiv that they are not alone,And those without that were are people too. If your upset about your story not being published you shouldn't take it out on the people of POZ.You should take a better look at yourself and deal with your feelings on why you dont want people to see your face.A story is just that a story without a face to make it a reallity.

And your mear plea to the rest of us I would think falls on deaf ears as most of those on this site are greatful to have a place to share there feelings and stories with others.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do but as for me I will continue to visit here everyday!
Tested feb 2007 neg
Seroconvert 07/2007
Diagnosed w/ Aids-PCP-Mac-Thrush-PN
09/07 CD4 71 Put on zidovudrine, Efarivnz, prednisone,bactrim ds,Z pak,Diflucan,Mepron
10/07 CD4 9 160,000,000  Stopped all pre meds for observations found current ID. started on Atripila for two weeks end due to sustiva allergy
11/07 CD4 4 VL-1600,000start Norvir-Truvada-Reytaz
12/07 CD4 83 VL-1600,000
02/08 CD4 488 VL- 4100
05/08 CD4 514 VL- 4200
07/08 CD4 434 VL- <400
10/08 Cd4 531 VL-Undetectable
10/16/2008 cd4 393 VL-undetectable
01/29/2009 cd4 419 VL-undetectable
04/28/2009 cd4 385 VL-undetectable
08/06/2009 cd4 358 VL-undetectable
12/14/2010 cd4 741 VL-undetectable

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2008, 07:39:16 pm »
All I can say is WOW!!!!! I refuse to take sides on this issue but I can understand both point of views. My question is, isn't there some sort of middle ground that could be taken? Maybe an old picture of the OP or something? I would think what is important is the story to be told not necessarily a picture but hey that's just me. Or couldn't the story still be told w/o the pic and explain that the person did not want his pic shown. And go on to explain that stigmatism is the reason for this?

Some people have no fear of putting themselves on front street but I think the person should be respected for his opinion of not wanting to put himself out there.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2008, 07:49:14 pm »
I would think what is important is the story to be told

Trust me, Queen, the story of financial hardship and fear (especially things like student loans which are nto discharged through bankruptcy) are stories we have here in abundance. I have no doubt that there are an easy twenty of us, who work and who do not, who can deliver similar stories. They resonate among the HIV infected people who have, astonishingly, survived against all odds.

I am on a forbearance myself for over a hundred thousand dollars in student loans. And in a year? I have no idea what I will do, though I am sorely tempted to follow advice philly gave in another thread, in another forum. Sad that you sometimes have to risk your life for your peace of mind.

It's scary to even contemplate that. Especially since I barely have two and a half months' time since my hospitalization for PCP. But if I am going to live for decades more, I have to think in those terms. And take risks accordingly. Damn, I wish there were a better way. I really, really do.

Welcome Thread

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2008, 07:58:12 pm »
Pozhealthy,

I don't know what the policy is at Poz magazine. And I have only read a few of the responses.  It just seems to me, that you should have been notified, prior to the interview,  ( Not after) that a picture would be required. Why couldn't Poz have printed the article, with a notation that you had asked that no picture be displayed, to protect your anonymity? I don't understand how your story, without your picture diminishes anything. Your entitled to your anonymity, in time that may change.

It doesn't make one less brave because one doesn't display their picture. After all, look at this site. There are many members here, ( many long time posters) that have not, or will not display their pictures in avatars. and that is their right to do so. It doesn't take away from their postings, just because they are not displayed. And look at the views this site gets.

Also, I  don't believe that boycotting the magazine, serves a purpose. Personally, I haven't pick up an issue of Poz magazine in over three years, but I wouldn't boycott it.

As suggested, just try to move on, there are more important things in life.

Take care----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2008, 10:22:21 pm »
BTW, the implication that those on disability do not understand workplace stigma is rather offensive. Applying for section 8 housing assistance, food stamps, SSDI, SSI and other programs remains an ongoing and recurring humiliation. No one is exempt from stigma and discrimination, from outside judgment and the threat to self worth.

Jonathan,

After rereading my words I can definitely see what you mean.  Please accept my apology it was not meant that way.  I have been on food stamps, forced to apply for both SSDI and SSI, as well as other programs to help myself through this.  I guess my point is, trying my best not to offend anyone, is that this gentleman is not on such programs.  He is working in an environment where such personal issues are not always judged favorably by others, which of course would only add to his problems.  I just noticed that some of the people here telling the other person they would not have an issue with their face being shown in POZ were on disability...   I was attempting to make a point and I guess I failed miserably in trying to do so.  I have respect for you and the others who had to go on such programs and would never outright offend those who do.

For those who may have been offended by my words I am sorry.

Thomas

Offline pozhealthy

« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2008, 10:44:07 pm »
I barely know what to say to all the replies this has generated. Supported. Alienated.Lambasted.I am not very good at writing or very eloquent. Its surprising that some of the people who criticised me the most for not allowing my picture to be shown use an avatar on here or a pic of them when they were a very young child.
This decision was mine alone to make and in the end I believe I made the correct one.  I could tell that the story was gonna be killed after I told them no photo so I also used a fake name. So blast away to all the people who did not support my decision. This experience has taught me a lot about the HIV community and validated some things  I have been feeling. So POZ magazine is not the platform to tell my story. Now I know. They have a different agenda and I cannot say they have not helped alot of people in telling other peoples stories. So thanks again to all the replies both good and bad. The struggle continues. If I find a way out of this mess I will surely post it.
If you are in a similar mess with student loans please please please contact me. Maybe if enough of us get together we can do something about it.

Offline pozhealthy

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2008, 11:19:07 pm »
You may have missed out on an opportunity of a lifetime, and just remember THIS: that window of support you may have gotten outta this, may be gone forever................just something you should have considered before you decided not to put a FACE on your story ???
fortunately I now know that I have other opportunities of a lifetime ahead. May be my window is gone at POZ magazine and maybe it never existed.  Why so negative towards me about this???

Offline pozhealthy

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2008, 11:22:31 pm »
Why would you boycott POZ mag its here to help people and show people living with hiv that they are not alone,And those without that were are people too. If your upset about your story not being published you shouldn't take it out on the people of POZ.You should take a better look at yourself and deal with your feelings on why you dont want people to see your face.A story is just that a story without a face to make it a reallity.

and i have seen plenty of faces in these types of magazines where there was not story. The last one did several pages and many pics of this up and coming actor singer in various stages of undress. But he is not poz and to be quite honest I don;t think it even mentioned he supported any groups, So here we have face but no HIV story and in my case an HIV story but no face.

And your mear plea to the rest of us I would think falls on deaf ears as most of those on this site are greatful to have a place to share there feelings and stories with others.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do but as for me I will continue to visit here everyday!

Offline pozhealthy

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2008, 11:28:35 pm »
pozhealthy -- so let me get this straight..  you're asking all the members of the AIDSmeds/POZ forums to boycott POZ Magazine, but continue posting here, even though they are both under the same editorial control.

You're also asking us to boycott a magazine that's primary purpose is to fight the stigma we all suffer from as people living with HIV.  The magazine attempts to do this by presenting the stories and faces of people like us, and doing so proudly, just like other glossy magazines, as an example for those that might be dealing with fear and shame.

So even though we are surrounded by many enemies that wish us dead (or would LOVE for us to keep quite and hidden from view), your main activist push in these forums is to boycott POZ Magazine.

Did I get all this right?

yes you certainly did get it right,. boycot poz and support others. that do a better job of telling the story. Some of the best stories i have ever read did not have one single pic. Or do some research and put a pic of a really hot guy on the cover to draw attention to my story and put a disclaimer that the pic is not me.
Lot s of things should have been handled differently regarding my story.

In my view, activism is meant to help others -- it is fighting for a greater good.  Good activism shouldn't sound like a selfish rant (I'm not calling you selfish, but I do think your post sounded a bit like that).

Peter

Offline pozhealthy

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2008, 11:31:19 pm »
Kind of hard not to put a FACE on a story dont cha think? here's my question to you? what do you have to hide? it must be something?................just sayin?  ???

I'd do it in a heart beat if I was ask too, I have nothing to hide, about who I'am and that I had AIDS for the last 18 to 20 yrs.  HELL YEAH, I would do it  ;D BRING IT ON  Poz Mag, I'm ready & willing.............
[/quote

Ok, since you have nothing to hide and are telling POZ mag to bring it on, then call them and have them bring it. I think that since you have been around for 20 years that you must be doing something right to stay alive and healthy and that you should share this secret with the rest of us. So call them and have them do a story and we will look for you on the cover. I cannot wait.

Offline SteveA

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2008, 11:32:27 pm »
Steve, nobody is being rude.  Not showing ones face in a POZ feature story only serves to feed into stigma.  Do you REALLY want that?  It's unfortunate, but that's the reality.

Philly, for what it's worth I never said anyone was being rude but they are coming down on him pretty hard considering all that's going on don't you think? Look at it from his perspective. It's a sort of blackmail in that they won't publish his story unless he does what they want him to do, irregardless of how it might affect him and his job. Just how helpful is that. How journalistic is it?

Do we have to trample the privacy of one person for the good of breaking the stigma of HIV? Does that REALLY serve our community? The guy needs his story told so that possibly, just maybe, someone who knows how to help him out will see his story and reach out and help him. I'd also go so far as to say there might be others in his same situation who might need to hear his story so they can come together to fight the same fight together. I don't discount that the stigma of HIV needs to be broken, but we need to choose our battles here with not just shrewd tactics and wisdom but also with some heart.

Just my opinion and thanks for not dismissing it out of hand.

Offline pozmnguy

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2008, 12:18:38 am »
Pozhealthy,

Well I certainly don't mean to offend you, but I think its extremely important to put a face to the article.  I would jump at the chance, and for as much damage it could do to my career I know the positive would far outway that damage.  I plan on doing anything I can to change the stigma of this damn virus! 

I do acknowledge your choice to not want to use your photo, but can't support any boycott.

Best of luck with your situation.

Jim
3/08   Diagnosed
4/08  CD4  34           VL     537,000   Started Atripla
5/08  CD4 144    8%  VL        1,010
9/08  CD4 141    8%  VL            60

Offline denb45

« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2008, 12:19:46 am »

Ok, since you have nothing to hide and are telling POZ mag to bring it on, then call them and have them bring it. I think that since you have been around for 20 years that you must be doing something right to stay alive and healthy and that you should share this secret with the rest of us. So call them and have them do a story and we will look for you on the cover. I cannot wait.

My story isn't any different than the many other millions of Poz people all over the world, so, if they think I have something to say, I'm sure they would, but, enough about me, let's discuss YOU.....

Are you gonna go to your local ASO, and get the help you need with your MEDS?
I don't know what State you live in, but, in most of them, even if you make 45 to 50K a yr. and you cannot afford to pay for your meds, for whatever reason, you can get some help.......PLEASE try and do that, you really need your meds, they will keep you alive, well, and healthy for a very long time..............do it ASAP, and don't delay  :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 12:23:23 am by denb45 »

Offline xyahka

« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2008, 01:12:13 am »
I could tell that the story was gonna be killed after I told them no photo so I also used a fake name.

And how come do you still complain?. Lying is not a way to defend truth.

Juan Carlos

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2008, 02:26:02 am »

I am on a forbearance myself for over a hundred thousand dollars in student loans. And in a year? I have no idea what I will do, though I am sorely tempted to follow advice philly gave in another thread, in another forum.

Read this:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=22877.0

My student loans were just discharged (for total and permanent disability), so I'd like to report on how the process works.  There are several steps.

First is the application, which you get from your lender.  Your doctor must state that you are currently unable to work due to your medical condition (careful, because the application seems to say something different).  You submit the application, and the Dept. of Education makes a separate determination whether your condition is permanent.  HIV, due to its nature, is permanent.

If DOE decides that your condition qualifies, they grant a conditional discharge.  Then there is a 3-year period when you cannot earn more than $13,000/yr from work (earned income).  That is the condition.

If at the end of the 3-year period you have met the condition, they grant a final discharge, and return any payments you made after your date of disability onset (the day your doctor says you became too sick to work).

During the 3-year period, the status of your loans remains the same as it was the day you became "disabled,"  meaning if your loans were current your credit report reflects that, and if you were in default, the report says "in default" until you get the final discharge.

Offline joemutt

« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2008, 03:18:17 am »
It might be important to put a face with an article but it s unprofessional from the magazine to wait until so long into the preparing of the article to make sure the subject understood that and was comfortable with that. And no, I wouldn t put my face on any magazine because I would be uncomfortable with that and that would be my choice.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 03:19:51 am by joemutt »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2008, 06:11:06 am »
I don't think this has a bit to do with the need as some suggest for pozhealthy to become the next POZ magazine covergirl. If you take a bit of time to read the guy's posting history, it's evident to see he's being crushed emotionally and physically by catastrophic debt. Jesus folks, the guy hasn't been able to afford his meds in two years. Discharging a student loan is next to impossible and his stress is palpable whenever he posts. How tragic that he would even have to consider risking a life threatening OI in order to make this go away. He might have to risk death to clear up a bad debt? Fuck me running.

So really, is it necessary to chastise the guy because he called for a boycot, or that for whatever reason, he doesn't feel comfortable plastering his puss on the cover? Too many are missing the big picture by focusing on the inconsequential. The consequences of AIDS, as so many of us know results in financial ruin and a life of poverty. Pozhealthy is living it, and I for one hope he finds a solution that doesn't require PCP or Histoplasmosis.

One other thing before I forget. People with a dubious posting history of not always telling the truth and revealing their own problems when it comes to HIV, should resist calling others liar.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 06:12:43 am by Dachshund »

Offline edfu

« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2008, 07:11:11 am »
As a charter subscriber to POZ from its very first issue, April/May 1994, it is news to me that the PRIMARY purpose of the magazine was to fight the stigma of HIV.  That claim, made by several in the above posts, is categorically false.  I quote from the opening statement of that first issue, made by Sean Strub--founder, publisher, and executive editor:

"Hope and despair.  Excitement and depression.  Greed and generosity.  Anger and gratitude.  Fear and courage.  That about sums up AIDS, doesn't it?  But it is not that black and white.  The fight against AIDS has been made of thousands of small steps forward and thousands of small steps backward.  POZ intends to be one of the steps forward, to provide a better understanding of the disease and its impact on our society. 

"POZ will cover AIDS from the eyes of everyone affected by the disease, including families, friends, neighbors, coworkers, and caregivers of persons who are HIV-positive.  Anyone impacted by AIDS will benefit from POZ.

"Through POZ we hope to shed light on the politics, people, and practical issues involved with AIDS and, in the process, help people with AIDS to lead longer and healthier lives.  In my view, for a newly diagnosed person with AIDS, information is a more important first step than any pill, potion, or prayer."   

"Information" seems to me to be the primary purpose of POZ.  Or it was.  Of course, fighting stigma is one of many purposes, as outlined in the charter statement of purpose.  And photographs are nice.  But this guy has an extremely important story to tell, one not previously documented in its particulars, and certainly one that might help PWA's "lead longer and healthier lives"--especially if they can't get medications.  If it weren't an important story, the current regime at POZ would not have pursued it.  To deny publishing this information because of the lack of a photograph is scandalous and contrary to the founding principles of the magazine.  How does this absurd editorial decision "help people with AIDS lead longer and healthier lives"?   When did POZ decide, like a "People" magazine, that there is no story without a picture?  When did information no longer become "a more important first step than any pill, potion, or prayer"--or photograph?

This situation is beyond tragic. 
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline pozhealthy

« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2008, 09:25:25 am »

Juan Carlos
i did not ly to them, i just told them to use an alias for my name as well. if they were not going to print my story i felt there was no reason to use my real name.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2008, 09:47:55 am »
i did not ly to them, i just told them to use an alias for my name as well. if they were not going to print my story i felt there was no reason to use my real name.

Pozhealthy, I'm a bit surprised at Juan Carlos' lack of empathy about your situation. I can recall him complaining about his own impoverished conditions because of HIV on many occasion. If you feel that he needs an explanation, so be it. Hopefully people can be a little bit more understanding (me included) and I wish you well.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2008, 10:34:55 am »
I don't always (often? ;)) agree with Hal, but I'm with him 100% here.  It's easy for us to say this guy should allow his pic to be used, but would we really allow it?  Remember, POZ magazine is in his place of employment.  Perhaps a better solution would have been for his story to be printed in part of the magazine without a pic... sort of like second or third page on a news paper.  Maybe a darkened silhouette type of thing would have worked, you know, like the ones that are used on crime shows with real victims.  It adds the realism of a live person without giving away the individual's identity.  Not being willing to out oneself doesn't diminish the value of the story.  In fact, I think it exemplifies the power that stigma has over many of us much more than adding to that stigma.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2008, 10:55:32 am »
To me it is quite simple.  Poz Magazine wants to do articles on HIV+ individuals and feature their picture.  Pozhealthy wants to share his story but doesn't want to use his actual name or have a picture featured.  
We can agree or disagree with the reasoning each uses to reach their decision, however it is obvious that in this situation they are not a good fit.  I don't agree with a boycott, but the OP should be commended for wanting to use his experiences to help others and hopefully he will find an avenue that is more suitable to his situation.

As to the question posed it is probably one I will never have to answer as there isn't much newsworthy about my life, unless they want to do a story about a gay, HIV+, Baptist Deacon.... :)
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2008, 11:03:11 am »
If POZ magazine doesn't want to tell the stories of people who don't want their picture I think it is their loss. Pozhealthy, have you thought about writing your story and submitting it to Newsweek for their "My Turn" column? They have about 2.6 million readers as compared to POZ 100,000. With the economy the way it is I think it would be timely. There are so many places you could tell your story. Don't get discouraged by one decline.

Offline denb45

« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2008, 11:23:47 am »

Now that sounds a bit interesting, does the entire congregation know you're Gay & POZ+ are have you told any of them, (not tryin to put you on the spot here).............however kinda sounds interesting  ;D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 11:25:44 am by denb45 »

Offline newbernswiss

« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2008, 11:30:29 am »
After reading your post I assume that you are most comfortable hiding behind an assumed screen name "pozhealthy" and as some of us like me behind whatever avatar we choose as our picture.  Does this make you feel safer from afar? That only you can answer. It does take a lot of courage to step out front and be seen as a real person living with HIV.  Whether in magazines, newspapers, books, Tv where ever.  It's a choice, and not always an easy one to be able to be honest with the world viewers.  If you choose to remain anonymous then so be it.  My personal take on a boycott of POZ magazine is again hiding in the shadows. If it was not for the courage of the people whom allow their picture to grace the covers, our lives, living with HIV, may not be as good as they are today.  How could we as a group of people living with HIV get our stories told and put a face with the story.  The world has a unique perception of how people look that live and have HIV.  When the few whom allow their stories to be told and place a picture on the cover, the world can see we are not any different as anyone else.

When you boycott POZ, you are not just boycotting a magazine, you are boycotting people who have HIV/AIDS and have a personal story to share. Who are you hurting the most, POZ (which is free to some of us) or the people living to tell their story with a face.

Offline SteveA

« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2008, 02:59:15 pm »
As a charter subscriber to POZ from its very first issue, April/May 1994, it is news to me that the PRIMARY purpose of the magazine was to fight the stigma of HIV.  That claim, made by several in the above posts, is categorically false.  I quote from the opening statement of that first issue, made by Sean Strub--founder, publisher, and executive editor:

"Hope and despair.  Excitement and depression.  Greed and generosity.  Anger and gratitude.  Fear and courage.  That about sums up AIDS, doesn't it?  But it is not that black and white.  The fight against AIDS has been made of thousands of small steps forward and thousands of small steps backward.  POZ intends to be one of the steps forward, to provide a better understanding of the disease and its impact on our society. 

"POZ will cover AIDS from the eyes of everyone affected by the disease, including families, friends, neighbors, coworkers, and caregivers of persons who are HIV-positive.  Anyone impacted by AIDS will benefit from POZ.

"Through POZ we hope to shed light on the politics, people, and practical issues involved with AIDS and, in the process, help people with AIDS to lead longer and healthier lives.  In my view, for a newly diagnosed person with AIDS, information is a more important first step than any pill, potion, or prayer."   

"Information" seems to me to be the primary purpose of POZ.  Or it was.  Of course, fighting stigma is one of many purposes, as outlined in the charter statement of purpose.  And photographs are nice.  But this guy has an extremely important story to tell, one not previously documented in its particulars, and certainly one that might help PWA's "lead longer and healthier lives"--especially if they can't get medications.  If it weren't an important story, the current regime at POZ would not have pursued it.  To deny publishing this information because of the lack of a photograph is scandalous and contrary to the founding principles of the magazine.  How does this absurd editorial decision "help people with AIDS lead longer and healthier lives"?   When did POZ decide, like a "People" magazine, that there is no story without a picture?  When did information no longer become "a more important first step than any pill, potion, or prayer"--or photograph?

This situation is beyond tragic. 

Thank you Edfu for mentioning this. Sometimes people and organizations need to be reminded of what their original stated purposes were. It is tragic that their focus seems to have narrowed to such a small portion of those of us affected by not sharing the news of those of us who may or may not wish or be able to be on the cover of their magazine.

I think too many here are focusing on his call for a boycott when the greater issue at hand is his situation. We've all been in similar positions and I've seen many here lash out in similar fashions when they're stressed and hurting over something they can't grasp hold of. I find it comforting to see that some here are finally stepping back and noticing the big picture.

Offline dixieman

« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2008, 04:18:11 pm »
newbernswiss... makes a good point as well as everyone who contributed to this subject.

Offline 27years

• What I did for love I will still do it for love
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2008, 05:34:52 pm »
i think both parties expressed their rights so no one should be complaining.  Poz had the right not to publish and you had the right not to have your photo shown. 

If this is all about a picture i will happily put my face on your story if you want me to so that it will be published.
Nobody dies a virgin life screws us all up

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2008, 05:54:51 pm »
I agreed to do a story for the Newspaper, and I was a nervous wreck. It went on page one, above the fold!

It cost me bigtime, but I figure the only way we will break the stigma that goes with HIV, is that if we all do something in the press, TV  etc. The more people see that each person with HIV is a person just like everyone else.  And I would hope that we all do something to help the effort. It's a huge mountain to climb, but we can do it-together.

The best way to do this is to put a face with the story. I'm sorry you chose not to do it. But I respect your choice. I hope you respect my choice of not boycotting the magizine.
Positive since 1985

Offline denb45

« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2008, 06:01:40 pm »
I agreed to do a story for the Newspaper, and I was a nervous wreck. It went on page one, above the fold!

It cost me bigtime,

How did this cost you? did you loose your home, job, self-respect? were you run-outta-town, tarred and feathered? were your car windows or home broken out and set-on-fire?... Would you care to elaborate more on that?  did this cause you even more Stigma by doing this??
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 06:10:56 pm by denb45 »

Offline NLEWLAD

• Anything is possible, ANYTHING
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2008, 10:02:33 pm »
In Manchester, UK 

our local support organisation The George House Trust  has a statement

HIV = No Blame, No Shame

i dont blame anyone apart from me, for my hiv status.

and i certainly do not have any shame about my hiv status

i am openley positive and would not have a problem or issue putting my face on the cover of poz mag

or my story

x
Simon - Location Manchester England
Negative test 10/11/07
Tested poz 28/12/07
Confirmed WB 07/01/08
Sero-converted Late December 07

Date        CD4            %              VL

7/01/08   1273 :)      N/A       100,232
24/01/08   755 :(      42%         4,010
13/2/08     922 :)      45%       78,234
09/04/08   652 :(      38%       36,604
05/05/08   936 :)      39%       38,952
07/07/08   844 :)      34%       24,000
12/11/08   753 :(      31%       45,600
no meds yet:)

Offline pozhealthy

« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2008, 10:51:37 pm »

Juan Carlos
And by the way, don't call me a liar as you have done here. I did not lie. I don't understand all your hostility towords me. You do not know enough about the situation and even if you did you have no right to call me a liar.

Offline Denver Toad

« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2008, 10:39:19 am »
It cost me bigtime, but I figure the only way we will break the stigma that goes with HIV, is that if we all do something in the press, TV  etc. The more people see that each person with HIV is a person just like everyone else.  And I would hope that we all do something to help the effort. It's a huge mountain to climb, but we can do it-together.

Jeffery,

I'll second the question asked prior, what did it cost you? I was featured several times in the local Denver paper, had an article run in the company newsletter (Distributed in US, Germany, and several other countries) and have done on line interviews thepositiveproject.org
None of the publicity has cost me a thing. Actually it's been a positive experience on all fronts. I don't have to worry about disclosure, nor do i give a damm, my status is as out there as I want it to be. In my world it boiled down to I was not going to allow anyone's attitude or perceptions rule my life. I don't see myself as either courageous or trailblazing. Rather I merely choose to live free of fear regarding outside perceptions. The morning the first article ran I was scared sh*tless. But when I opened the paper and saw my picture it was a moment of empowerment without compare in my life. I no longer hid a significant part of me. I was who I was, I am what I am. I was freed from the fear of self stigmatization. I didn't then, and I still don't need or want the worlds acceptance and validation. I merely did what I had to do in order to feel as though I live strong and free.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly,
Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2008, 10:43:45 am »
Den 45 & Denver Toad,

I believe Jeffrey lost his job.  I'm certain he will clarify when he has a chance to respond, though may I suggest that every individual has their own measure of what "cost" is?

Not every cost is easily measurable or definable.

Offline wishihadacat

• Therainstorm.com
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2008, 02:53:13 pm »
thanks

I'm going to throw my two cents in here because it seems that you made an assumption that was simply incorrect. That said (and as Peter noted) boycotting Poz or any other HIV-related publication whose editorial policies - right or wrong - are aimed at helping all of us, makes little sense. We're all in this together. 
Your name here  X_______________

Offline pozhealthy

« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2008, 11:49:00 pm »
For those of you who think a story isn't a story with out pictures.......check out the cover of and story within of Mpower plus magazine summer/fall issue 2008.  Does the interview even mention HIV or AIDS???Could you please explain how this helps erase the stigma of aids? Here we see an example of a face and nearly naked very hot man with no real story and in my case a real story without a face. For one poster on here, the story with all the pictures is more real to him. The story without pics would aparently  be not believable
One post said we are all in this together but it sure does not feel like it at times. I have read all the posts--good and bad---and in most cases responded to the person personally rather that post on here to generate more discussion because there are stories within stories now within this post and some points got lost and misinterpreted.
I never claimed to be brave. I never wanted my picture on the cover or even in the magazine. POZ magazine did not even  mention this until the very end of the interview which was done via the telephone. They have no idea what I look like.
My intent was to find out if I am the only HIV positive person who is deeply in debt from student loans and if there were specifically any people out there with dental school loans. It was also to fully explain how this has impacted my life since my diagnosis and many other issues.

Offline wishihadacat

• Therainstorm.com
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2008, 01:06:39 am »
... I never wanted my picture on the cover or even in the magazine....

Perhaps not, but you did want "your story" in print. Best wishes with your loans,

David
Your name here  X_______________

Offline denb45

« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2008, 10:07:19 am »
Perhaps not, but you did want "your story" in print. Best wishes with your loans,

David

If I was a Very RICH investor, I'd pay-off all of his loans, and use that as a Tax write-off  ;) that's just one of the many good deeds I'd do ,before I Die  ;D ...but heres the thing that really bugs me, that dental school took his money, kicked him to the curb ( for whatever reason) and didn't provide him with what he was paying for, as a result of this, leaving him in debt maybe for the rest of his natural Life, somethiing just doesn't seem right about that to me ??? so, yeah it's a great story, and I do hope that it get's HEARD someday  ??? such a sad tragic thing to happen to ANYONE  ??? the more I see and talk about this, the more ANGERY I BECOME  >:(
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 10:21:48 am by denb45 »

Offline Iggy

« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2008, 11:11:22 am »
I've read this thread a few times over the last few days and wanted to add my opinion on the situation, but first wanted to add a sort of related, and yet unrelated, idea.

The way we all communicate, and tell our stories, has changed dramatically in the last couple of years, and my hunch is that this change is partly (and perhaps subconsciously) a factor in this specific case.

AIDSmeds.com offers a good example of this. Previously to connect with others who share our concerns and issues we've had to seek them out in face-to-face settings where one, by nature of the setting (being physically there and unable to speak to others anonymously), is usually a little more edited and reserved in what they share.  Also, the very nature of the spoken conversation requires one to pause in their thoughts or speech to allow others to speak, and to digest what others have said.   

Unfortunately the availability of anonymity, and the lack of required pause in most online communications,  is retraining many of us to forget there are consequences to our words.

The web, and particularly social media, has made it far too easy to talk about ourselves, and, I think, has (falsely) taught a whole generation that they can divorce the connections between what they say online, and who they are offline.

I can imagine that more and more people through the use of social media and the web are getting too caught up in sharing their stories and lives within formats that don't require any risk via investment of revealing their personal identity; and therefore, are shocked when they run into situations where either that is not welcomed or acceptable, or panic when a connection to who they are is made. (Lord knows, I did)

In this specific case, my opinion is that while I do think there are unique, and rare cases to tell a  story without pictures of the subject (such as a person who is a whistleblower in a corporate/government situation, or someone in a geographic area that risks real physical violence or death) it is my personal opinion that Poz Magazine has a journalistic responsibility to offer stories that put a real name and face with the article, and their subsequent right to reject story pitches that do not allow them to do so. 

I do think pozhealthy's story is one that needs to be told, and perhaps POZ could put the call out for others who have a similar situation who are willing to have their pictures included.  This might allow them to use pozhealthy's story as a supporting piece of the article, or at the very least, bring light to an issue that is affecting him.  Instead of asking for a boycott, or burning a bridge with them, I am suggesting that he restart communications with them asking what possible avenues can be explored for promoting this important story.

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2008, 04:21:13 pm »
I kept rereading this thread to see if it could make sense to me, so forgive me if my statements still sound a bit fuzzy here.

I think the OP here has some valid points, as do others, regarding the stigma that still exists and the real danger of 'outing' ones status.  Here's an idea...

Print the article and show a blacked-out picture for the face--you get the story and a REAL visual about the stigma message too.  Tag line..."HIV stigma still alive..." etc.

In my opinion, when, to whom and how we disclose (outside of some legal issues which I'm hoping does not hijack this thread into total spin-out.  If you want that there's a few threads here working on that one) is a VERY individualized decision.

For me, because of where my life is at right now relative to HIV--if someone thought that my story with picture included might make a difference to even ONE person--I'd say flash away--hell, I might even lift my kilt for a few ;-)

If it were me, and because I've told all the people that matter to me and can deal with the fallout from those that don't but might see the magazine--I'd think the STORY would be the most important thing.  If the picture helps tell it--catch my good side then.

-My uninformed opinion only--your mileage may vary   

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.