Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 07:08:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 179
Total: 179

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Did I have a risk?  (Read 7871 times)

Offline Victor

Did I have a risk?
« on: December 15, 2008, 08:12:49 pm »
Last night I went out drinking with my friends and I ended up sleeping with a woman. We had unprotected oral sex (which I know is not a risk for HIV  ;) and protected vaginal penetration. However, I was really drunk and one time I lost my erection, I took off the condom so she could perform oral sex on me. However, it was the last condom, so when I got my erection back , I put the condom back on and continued to have sex. I don't believe it broke or anything like that because I think I would know.

Was there a risk for reusing the condom? I think about one minute went by before I put it back on. I am a little worried about this.

Thanks a lot for your responses in advance.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Did I have a risk?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 08:41:05 pm »
You should have use a new condom but a reused condom is better than no condom. You did not have a risk.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 09:02:04 pm »
Just in general we always warn people that mixing excessive drinking with casual sex is not a good idea. It often affects your ability to keep safer sex in mind and to practice it.

In this instance you were ok. You used a condom and if it had broken or been damaged during the on again and off again you would have noticed it.

There's no need for testing about this incident.
Andy Velez

Offline Victor

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 09:32:53 pm »
Just in general we always warn people that mixing excessive drinking with casual sex is not a good idea. It often affects your ability to keep safer sex in mind and to practice it.

In this instance you were ok. You used a condom and if it had broken or been damaged during the on again and off again you would have noticed it.

There's no need for testing about this incident.

To make sure I understand... the only risk of reusing a condom is that it is easier to break, is that correct?

Thanks for your responses Andy and Rod.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 07:44:10 am »
Yes. I can't think of any other problem in terms of potential exposure to HIV.
Andy Velez

Offline Victor

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 07:53:34 pm »
I see, thanks Andy.

I would like to ask one last question... If I had any cuts or open skin surrounding my penis, would that increase the risk? I do trim and I know I scratch myself at times. I am not aware of any cuts/scratches at the time, but you never know I guess. I'd like to know that for the future as well since I want to be safe. If it doesn't in my situation, when does an open sore, cut, etc, could make you vulnerable to be infected?

Thanks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 08:13:34 pm »
Victor,

You've been around here long enough to know that as long as the head of your penis was covered by the condom during intercourse, you weren't at risk. NO, small cuts or scratches on your penis don't put you at risk.

The ONLY reason I'm not merging your thread is because of your name change for privacy reasons. That doesn't change the fact that you've been here for ages and should know this stuff by now.

Keep posting over this no-risk event and you'll quickly be timed out.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Victor

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 08:18:12 pm »
Hi Ann,

It is good that you remember me and thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Even though I was offered a time out.  :-[

Anyway, this isssue is closed for me at this time.

Thanks for all of your answers guys and be well.

Sincerely,

Victor

Offline Victor

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 12:53:58 am »
Well, my exposure was on 12/14. I think I have thrush.  My tongue has felt "different"  for the last two days. I looked at pics of thrush, and it looks like how mine looks now. White patches, irritated.

I performed oral sex on this person. Is it possible that I got thrush from her? Would it show 1/05 if I was "exposed" on 12/15?

Is thrust one of the symptoms when you become HIV positive?  Is it an ARS symptom by itself?
I know I wore condoms, but I reused them. I was wondering if there was a way that the condom broke and I was not aware. I know you guys say that would be able to tell, but I was intoxicated and I describe this incident to the best of my recollection.

Anyway, would thrush be a ARS symptom by itself? Could I have gotten thrush and that's it for performing oral sex on her? I know you will tell me that I didn't have a risk, but please answer this question.

I do not have any other symptoms at this time. I know you can not diagnose HIV this way, but please do not dismiss my questions.

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 01:01:21 am by Victor »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 04:44:19 am »
Victor,

We cannot tell you if you have thrush or not and NEITHER CAN YOU. ONLY a doctor or dentist can diagnose thrush.

What we CAN tell you is that you did NOT have a risk for hiv infection. Whatever is going on with you has nothing to do with hiv. Go see a doctor or dentist to find out what, if anything, is going on with your mouth.

Don't keep posting over this NO RISK incident, please. Not unless you want to be timed out.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Victor

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 06:59:41 pm »
Hi guys,

I know I did not have a risk because I used protection during my last intercourse. However, I went to get a test because I am sexually active and I think is important to know your status. I have had unprotected sex a couple of times before the one I described, but we tested together. However, there is a lot of cheating around, so you can never be 100% sure.

Anyway,the test was a rapid one Oraquick. My question is that I do not think that I swabbed the thing long enough in my mouth. The result was negative btw. If I didn't swab it long enough, would it have given a result at all? I just want to make sure that the test was done right and that I did it correctly.

Thanks a lot for your help and support.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 07:13:09 pm »
As long as your HIV test was at 13weeks past the most recent unprotected incident then the result is reliable and you're HIV negative.
Andy Velez

Offline Victor

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 07:16:37 pm »
Thanks Andy!

Yes, it was after 13 weeks. of the last unprotected encounter.  But you didn't answer my question.  ;)

If I would have not done the procedure correctly, would the test show a result at all?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 08:22:21 pm »
They would have told you if the test was done incorrectly.

Offline Victor

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 08:41:12 pm »
I probably had the swab thing 8-10 seconds in my mouth. One swab up and one down.

My question remains, would it give a result at all if not enough "culture" (saliva) was taken?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 08:53:12 pm »
No it wouldn't.

Offline Victor

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 10:21:58 pm »
Thanks rapidrod!

Ann, Andy, do you agree with Rodney?

Thanks!

Offline Victor

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 07:29:07 pm »
Ann, Andy,

Could you respond to my last question?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 10:33:01 pm »
I don't see any reason to doubt the reliability of your test result, your anxiety notwithstanding.

And of course you never needed to test to begin with since you hadn't had a risky incident.

Cut out the drama and get on with your life is my suggestion. 
Andy Velez

Offline Victor

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 07:19:31 pm »
I tested for intercourse before the last event.

Thanks for your response Andy.

Offline Victor

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 10:01:25 pm »
I was hesitant about asking this question, but I thought that the only stupid question is the one that is not asked. So, here I go.

I dislocated my shoulder yesterday. It was quite painful and I was unable to put it back in so I ended up in ER.  The pain was quite intense and the DR said that I needed an IV to put in some drugs so I could relax and he could work. 

I was quite out of it at this point (the pain) and I barely remember what happened, but here it goes.

The nurse opened the needle from a new package. I do remember that quite well. But I did not see her opening a package for the syringe. So, my questions are:

IF the syringe had been used on someone else with HIV, how high is the risk of infection?

Can they use the same syringes on different patients? Is that something that happens often?

I know I am being paranoid, but in the last six months two hospitals in the US are under investigation for this practice. Some patients tested positive for hepatitits. I have not read about anyone contracting HIV yet.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Sincerely,

V.

M

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 11:08:58 pm »
 At no time were you at risk of contracting anything getting an IV.

Offline Victor

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 11:16:58 pm »
At no time were you at risk of contracting anything getting an IV.

Hi Rodney,

Why is that? is it because we "know" hospitals are safe? We cannot ignore the Las Vegas hospital and the VA one that came out recently. She utilized a syringe to inject the drug ( I think it was Demorol... not sure). I did not make sure it was new unfortunately. What is my risk if it was used on someone else that was HIV positive?

I just want to make sure I understand your reasoning.

Thanks for responding.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 11:31:23 pm by Victor »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 04:57:55 am »
Victor,

You've been coming here for over two and a half years now and it's high time you started to apply what you've learned to your real life. We're not here to hold your hand every time something happens to you.

You know why in these alleged cases you brought to us there were no hiv infections? It's because, as you've been told before, hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus that is primarily transmitted INSIDE the human body, as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse.

When hiv is transmitted between IV drug users, the needle is used IMMEDIATELY after the other person. Even then, there is no guarantee of transmission. So, unless this nurse went to another patient, took the needle/whatever out of that person's body and then immediately stuck it into yours, you are once again worrying needlessly.

Keep coming back with this latest hiv transmission fantasy of yours and you'll be given a LONG OVERDUE time out. I don't want to hear one more thing about your dislocated shoulder/pain medication woes.

Consider yourself warned for the LAST TIME!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.