Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:33:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 317
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 315
Total: 315

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Smart Meter  (Read 3456 times)

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
Smart Meter
« on: October 24, 2011, 11:37:06 am »
They came around the neighborhood two months ago and installed these:

http://goldsilver.com/video/smart-meters/

*ding-dong*

It was the friendly (cute) meter reader holding two very plain looking boxes (one for my house and one for the house next door)...

"we're replacing the old meters"

(I don't remember him asking if he could or not...I was sleepy and groggy)

I didn't even think about it twice...only thought *new and improved....what have I got to lose?*

I was a foool...a fooool
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: Smart Meter
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 04:04:47 pm »
Ron, who was that guy?

I guess if the smart meters could do what he says they can, that would be one thing.

But, I want proof. No more of these Republican scare tactics without some concrete evidence.

For the record, I have had one of these on my house for a decade now, installed not by a power company, but by the city, because it owns the power utility.

After the smart meter was installed, my bills have been consistent with the usage and time of year, even if there is two feet of snow on the ground.

So, like I said, I want proof they are eavesdropping devices.

The down side is the city no longer has meter readers, becusae they entire city is using these meters.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 05:07:46 pm »
So, like I said, I want proof they are eavesdropping devices.
it could perhaps "sense" your lifestyle (ie what times you're probably awake vs. asleep via energy usage); but it would not be able to tell when you had company over or used your electric toothbrush (though the meter would know that your power consumption was slightly elevated).

nothing pisses me off more than fear tactics >:(
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline rondrond

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 05:08:23 pm »
Mark,

His name is Jerry Day.

http://www.youtube.com/user/minivanjack

http://www.jerryday.com

This is Andrew Price
He explains why people got hysterical over this.....(I was being dramatic in my post ::)  sorry, but, I did not read where there was any denial; that the monitoring of your electric usage to control the price you pay for it for using it at a 'peak time'  to 'punish' you,  is real, and a form of spying.

http://www.good.is/post/smart-meters-dumb-backlash/

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 12:30:39 am »
I saw a news story about these smart meters.  It allowed the homeowner to go online and see that his kids were using a ton of electricity, while he was at work.  I would like one that showed you exactly what was using all the juice, so you could make changes.  I didn't know that DVRs (even turned off) gobble up a ton of electricity.  They are hogs.  And, my TIVO cannot even be turned off.  You can put it to sleep, but then it won't record anything.  Computers are big hogs, too.  And, my God, the fantom electricity...lol.  They say leaving your cell charger plugged into the wall pulls juice even when you don't have your phone on it. 

My parents got the electric and water smart meter.  I think they just drive down the street now and can collect the meter info without ever getting out of their cars.   

Offline rondrond

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 02:28:36 am »
It reminds me of Mad Maxx Beyond the Thunderdome:

"embargo"...."embargo lifted"

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 08:40:05 am »
I assume Jerry Day wants me to be outraged but even if the electric company does know when I'm using my electric toothbrush I just don't care.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 11:23:28 am »
I assume Jerry Day wants me to be outraged but even if the electric company does know when I'm using my electric toothbrush I just don't care.

Ford your compliance builds strength in the Army of the American damned!  Rise up against Big Brother!

Or don't.

I'm kind of intrigued but the thing is this all depends on how detailed the information actually is.  If it can literally tell which device is using power then that's too much.  If it's simply detailing when energy usage crests and bottoms out then I honestly don't care.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 11:40:41 am »
If it can literally tell which device is using power then that's too much.  If it's simply detailing when energy usage crests and bottoms out then I honestly don't care.
unless you electric toothbrush (microwave, playstation, computer, lamp, etc) has a wireless connection and transmits this data ::) :D, of course there's no way the smart meter can tell what appliances are running. All the meter can tell is that every night at 1030, your energy consumption spikes for 3 mins. :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline rondrond

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 03:20:45 pm »
..... All the meter can tell is that every night at 1030, your energy consumption spikes for 3 mins. :D

well, actually, there's the download time and then the viewing, FF, REW, ... ::)

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.