Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:15:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 361
Total: 361

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How to Make a Holiday  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
How to Make a Holiday
« on: October 20, 2010, 03:48:56 pm »
As the holiday season approaches, there are far too many people who face the prospect of being alone during the holidays. For so many, the holiday season can represent an especially hard time of year and given the current state of affairs, there are untold numbers who will face the season alone. I live on a fixed income, so I understand the challenges of squeezing anything extra at the end of the month, but I am going to ask anyway.

I am asking for anyone who can, to reach out and for one person or family, help them to make a holiday. Living with HIV is damn hard and we all know pozzies who could use a nice holiday season. Look around and find someone to help, because even $20 can provide an incredible holiday for someone who has very little. Maybe you can invite a friend from a support group or your clinic, to dinner one night.  Sponsor a pot-luck dinner for those who are alone at the holidays. Or contact your local Aids Service Organization and see if they can match you up with someone for the holidays.

Or what if you could give someone Christmas? You can and quite easily. Again, your ASO may have programs or my favorite, when I was employed, was to contact a woman’s crisis center and become a Secret Santa. There is so much need and by offering something, anything, to folks down on their luck, will return you untold riches. By your giving, you show that you care and that you understand and keep the holiday spirit. Through your gift, whatever it may be, you may provide to someone, an opportunity to have a once in a lifetime holiday, which can be very easy, when you have relatively nothing.

For those who share a fixed income, you can still bring holiday cheer by donating your time. Volunteer for an organization, or ask about local needs. When I lived in Detroit, I would volunteer at a soup kitchen between Christmas and New Year’s. The amounts of need were heart-wrenching, yet even those with almost nothing, still held the holiday spirit. They delighted in the simplest things, like my refilling their coffee, while wearing reindeer antlers and reindeer earrings. Where you might expect to find hearts hardened by adversity, you would find some of the most generous people in the world.

On Christmas day, I would take about $20 in half-dollar coins. After asking the parents, I would offer one to each child. Since the coins were not that common, their eyes would widen and then widen further, when they we told that this was real money. I would simply walk the line of folks waiting to get served and bring just a little magic into my part of the world. Total cost: $20 and many fun-filled hours helping others to make a holiday. Benefits: priceless!

So if you can, please find some time over the holidays, to spread some holiday cheer. There will always be those in need and the holiday season can be one of the most difficult times of the year. Please reach out to someone and help them to make a holiday.

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
Re: How to Make a Holiday
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 06:51:58 pm »
Thanks for posting this. You can tell that a lot of real thought and time went into this!!!

I couldn't agree with you more about the forgotten and lonely people who never truly get to enjoy the holidays like so many of us are blessed to. For me personally I have never had a loving home life with big dinners and such. However now that I'm on my own my condo has become the hangout for all of the stragglers in my life with no where else to go on Christmas and Thanksgiving. I cook enough food for an army and have an open door policy. Invite who you want as long as everyone can get along. The group has grown over the years and is now about a dozen or more regulars plus their guests. This year I would rather give back in a different way and have thought about volunteering more.

Thanks again for a thought provoking and much need thread :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 07:01:07 pm by numbersguy82 »
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Strive for “One Day When” by collecting “One Day Wins”

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 09:18:37 pm »
Killfoile-

Do you want a sister?

I think you might be the sweetest man I know.

Snow
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 11:36:37 pm »
Killfoile-

Do you want a sister?

I think you might be the sweetest man I know.

Snow

He already has one - ME!  ;D

Joe, thanks for the heartfelt reminder that even those of us with limited resources can help make another's life brighter.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 12:19:40 am »
thnx for the plug  Joe  i have been a "secret santa"  many times  people ask for some of the simplest things,   pajamas,,warm sox, one lady asked for a case of "minute rice",   several asked for warm coats.....  simple enough things for people with great needs....

y'all  sign up  find a local organization  ( Helping Hands)  that sponsors this  ...

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 01:02:29 am »
Thanks for the post.  Every year, my family talks about not buying gifts for each other and donating to charity or something.  However, we haven't followed through on that yet.  I will seek out a way to do something like this, this Christmas. 

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 10:59:15 am »
Forgive my thread bumping, but as the holidays approach, please remember those who are less fortunate.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 05:10:24 pm »
 ;D  Have the best day
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 03:39:48 pm by Choofnhurl »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.