Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:29:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 244
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 209
Total: 210

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Obama - The Snake With A Forked Tongue  (Read 8929 times)

Offline MitchMiller

Obama - The Snake With A Forked Tongue
« on: July 22, 2012, 03:14:00 pm »
Obama reaches out to get donations from gays by publicly supporting gay marriage, while at the same time unceremoniously signs a Republican/Big Pharma sponsored bill that funds Homeland Security to begin confiscating imported HIV drugs.  I guess he realizes most HIV+ persons are not going to be among the high rollers backing his reelection.  Unbelievable!

http://pharmacycheckerblog.com/two-minnesotans-speak-out-against-law-allowing-destruction-of-personal-drug-imports

Offline buginme2

Re: Obama - The Snake With A Forked Tongue
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 04:12:45 pm »
Then he gives $80 million to increase access to care for HIV + people and expand adap coverge...

The nerve

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/obama_hhs_adap_1667_22714.shtml
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 06:12:37 pm »
The nerve
not to mention how Obama not only had re-authorized Ryan White ADAP but renewed it to continue for 4 yrs - which nicely dovetails into the ACA coming into play. ;)

confiscating imported HIV drugs.
not to downplay this issue too much as I understand how this can make a difference for some people, since most HIV+ people get their meds through ADAP, insurance, and/or medicare/medicaid, importing meds doesn't really affect that many people. Perhaps it would be more worthwhile to understand how those affected people are falling through the cracks and make better arrangements for them to get meds. The ACA should probably make this a moot problem anyway. Once a person gets insurance (high risk, insurance exchanges etc) then, with co-pay help through ADAP or the pharmaceuticals, importing meds shouldn't be needed.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Rockin

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 11:38:35 am »
And I do believe that importing medicine anywhere in the world is a risky thing. Most of time the medicine gets confiscated, regardless of it being an antiretroviral or a herbal pill. 

Offline Mrmojorisin

• My Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 07:12:42 pm »
I am not a fan of President Obama. Not at all. However, he seems to have expanded access to hiv treatment. While I do not follow a lot of this stuff closely, I wonder...what about access to care for those with cancer, diabetes, leukemia and other life threatening situations...
Started Meds On 5/1/2012 Norvair, Truvada, Prezista, and Bactrim

4/17/2012--CD4 83/ VL 353,000  7.0%
5/15/2012--CD4 218/ VL 4,970    14.1%
6/27/2012--CD4 146/ VL 420      6.1%
10/11/2012-CD4-223/ VL-62       9.5%
2/14/2013--CD4-215/ VL-119      13.6%
7/3/2013---CD4-256/ VL-UD       18.0%
10/18/2013 CD4-223/ VL-UD       22.2%
01/23/2014-CD4-381/VL-UD       25.3%--Dropped the Bactrim
05/01/2014 CD4-370/VL-UD       23.5%
01/08/2015 CD4-455/VL-UD       28.7%
06/18/2015 CD4-422/VL-UD       31.9%
01/07/2016 CD4-275/VL-UD       31.3%
02/10/2016 Switch meds to Tivicay and Truvada
04/25/2016 CD4-426/VL-UD        34.1%
07/14/2016 CD4-414/VL-UD        38.0%

"arrrrhhhhh ahhrrhhhhh aaaarrhhh"- Chewbacca

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 07:15:40 pm »
I am not a fan of President Obama. Not at all. However, he seems to have expanded access to hiv treatment. While I do not follow a lot of this stuff closely, I wonder...what about access to care for those with cancer, diabetes, leukemia and other life threatening situations...

I urge you to read the Affordable Care Act. Pay close attention to the passages about "pre-existing conditions."

In the US at least, here's a link:

http://www.healthcare.gov/law/full/

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 08:33:45 am »
I urge you to read the Affordable Care Act. Pay close attention to the passages about "pre-existing conditions."

In the US at least, here's a link:

http://www.healthcare.gov/law/full/
What do you mean?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 08:40:33 am »
Obama reaches out to get donations from gays by publicly supporting gay marriage, while at the same time unceremoniously signs a Republican/Big Pharma sponsored bill that funds Homeland Security to begin confiscating imported HIV drugs.  I guess he realizes most HIV+ persons are not going to be among the high rollers backing his reelection.  Unbelievable!

http://pharmacycheckerblog.com/two-minnesotans-speak-out-against-law-allowing-destruction-of-personal-drug-imports
Thanks for the info and it was a DICK MOVE on the President's part.  Did everyone go to the website to urge the President not change his position on this issue?  The website is:

http://www.rxrights.org/

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 12:38:00 pm »
Thanks for the info and it was a DICK MOVE on the President's part.  Did everyone go to the website to urge the President not change his position on this issue?  The website is:

http://www.rxrights.org/

I'm just curious why you think so?  Living in the U.S., I'm wondering how many people you know who are importing (any of) their drugs from Canada or elsewhere?  Also, living in NYC, do you know many people who are obtaining their drugs in this manner, especially pozzies on ARVs?
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 11:26:56 am »
I'm just curious why you think so?  Living in the U.S., I'm wondering how many people you know who are importing (any of) their drugs from Canada or elsewhere?  Also, living in NYC, do you know many people who are obtaining their drugs in this manner, especially pozzies on ARVs?
I've not personally know anyone that gets their medication from Canada, but you have to admit that if the government has to limit it or stop it then there must be thousands who are doing this.  After all, the drugs are expensive, up to $3,000/month and as that link indicated, that one person was paying just under $200 a month, I think.  I have read stories of this issue not just with people but with countries trying to save money to save lives.  In those countries only the rich can afford the drug, hence the poor suffers.  So I feel that either the drugs companies must reduce the cost or the U.S. should let people buy the affordable drugs.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 11:30:27 am »
I've not personally know anyone that gets their medication from Canada, but you have to admit that if the government has to limit it or stop it then there must be thousands who are doing this.  After all, the drugs are expensive, up to $3,000/month and as that link indicated, that one person was paying just under $200 a month, I think.  I have read stories of this issue not just with people but with countries trying to save money to save lives.  In those countries only the rich can afford the drug, hence the poor suffers.  So I feel that either the drugs companies must reduce the cost or the U.S. should let people buy the affordable drugs.
So I feel that either the drugs companies must reduce the cost and the U.S. should let people buy the affordable drugs.  Of course if the drugs prices are as cheap across the border, the point might be mute.

Offline geobee

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 11:35:08 am »
I would much, much rather have Obama than Romney who has vowed to repeal ACA, even though it was based on the bill he passed (and once lauded) in Mass. 

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 11:57:00 am »
I would much, much rather have Obama than Romney who has vowed to repeal ACA, even though it was based on the bill he passed (and once lauded) in Mass.
?  is there a link to this?

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 12:07:14 pm »
?  is there a link to this?

Is there a link to this?  Is this news to you?  Romney has vowed to repeal the ACA at virtually every campaign stop and interview opportunity he has been given.  You would have had to have not watched TV, read no paper or surfed no internet to not  know this.

Just sayin'.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 12:36:06 pm »
seriously
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 12:52:01 pm »
Is there a link to this?  Is this news to you?  Romney has vowed to repeal the ACA at virtually every campaign stop and interview opportunity he has been given.  You would have had to have not watched TV, read no paper or surfed no internet to not  know this.

Just sayin'.

If it's not on YouTube nor isn't gay themed in nature, then it didn't happen.

Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 12:54:33 pm »
If it's not on YouTube nor isn't gay themed in nature, then it didn't happen.

Barbara please -- did you just have a Chick-Fil-A enema?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 01:10:40 pm »
Barbara please -- did you just have a Chick-Fil-A enema?

I'm actually constipated from too much Cheez Whiz.

Past regimens

Offline geobee

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 01:20:10 pm »
Sure, here's a link.  Took about 5 seconds to find.  He says it within the first 30 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni6vp7Qgau4

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 01:29:20 pm »
  He says it within the first 30 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni6vp7Qgau4

Yep ... He mentions it in every speech he has made in the last 4 years  ;) 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 07:17:08 pm »
 ;D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.