Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:21:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773274
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 417
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 384
Total: 385

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Unprotected sex with HIV positive woman on ARVs; viral load 50  (Read 34075 times)

Offline petros

Unprotected sex with HIV positive woman on ARVs; viral load 50
« on: December 18, 2011, 04:13:46 am »
Hi,

I recently (4 weeks) had unprotected sex with a woman who only told me she was hiv +. The sex lasted 10 minutes. I went and washed my manhood thereafter with soap and hot water. I started PEP about 30 hours after. Was prescrived zidovudine and lopinivar. Today is my last day on PEP. I have been having the following:
night sweats...3 days, continuos wheezing, funny taste in mouth, stiff ness in neck, i kept pressing my lymph nodes and now theyr begining to get irritated.
Lost appetite (not sure if its because of PEP medication). Now i have some faint itching sensation on my penis. Two weeks into taking PEP i experienced tingling and burning sensation in feet and hands. I have also been having weak knees.

No fever, no rash.

Please i am trying to assess my risk that i contracted hiv?

Thank you, i have been reading your responses, you guys are awesome!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Unprotected sex with HIV positive woman on ARVs; viral load 50
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 07:52:29 am »
Petros, for starters you need to keep your hands off of your lymph nodes. They are very senstive to being bothered that way and you can create a problem where none really exists by squeezing them. If they persist in swelling or with any of your other symptoms, that's something to discuss with your doctor. Nothing you are reporting symptomatically is in any way HIV specific.

As far as the incident is concerned, yes, you had a risk. A number of factors are in your favor against infection. HIV is much harder to transmit from female to male than the other way around. You had a single unprotected incident. And you did PEP, which has a high degree of success in preventing infection. All of those elements together give you a very good chance of testing negative.

You can test initially at 6 weeks after completion of PEP. If you test negative at that point then it is a strong indication that you are likely to test negative at 13 weeks post_PEP for a conclusive result.

In the future you can intercourse with anyone you want to regardless of their HIV status. But you must always do it the safer way. That means always using a condom for vaginal and anal intercourse. No exceptions.

Good luck with your tests. Keep us posted.
Andy Velez

Offline petros

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 10:52:13 am »
Thanks Andy, reading the various discussions on this forum helped calm my nerves a lot
Prior to that it was seriously interfering with my work....every 2 hours i would go to the bathroom to check if i was developing any symptoms..like rash..swollen lymph nodes...hairy tounge etc....Only thing i have had is a congested nose most mornings....and weak knees.

My question is if i am on PEP will i show any ARS symptoms? Or when i am off PEP and assuming im infected, will i develop ARS symptoms as strong?
The fact that the woman is on ARVs and her viral load, do those help in any way?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 10:57:51 am »
Neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms is ever a reliable way to gauge HIV status. Only an HIV test taken at the proper time can give you a reliable answer.

If the woman is on ARVs then it is possible that her viral load would be low(er) which would decrease the level of risk.
Andy Velez

Offline petros

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 10:43:51 am »
I get you andy but my question now is here and there i am having night sweats (i dont have to change my sheets or night clothing though. I have been wheezing continuosly for two weeks. My penis is slightly itchy maybe ten minutes a day nothing so serious but enough to warrant  my attention. Also iv seen my penis gets too "dirty" every time im bathing there is too much dirt on the inside but i dont see nothing come out of it i dont have pain when urinating. I have bern wheezing for two weeks continuosly and on two occasions including this morning i have seen there is some blood on my mucus from the nose when i blew my nose. Also im seeing slightly raised (maybe less than 10) small white bumps on my face. Am beggining to feel im really infected. Iv finished my PEP today and m worried the seroconversion signs may start showing. Whats your opinion? After reading your comments on various issues im a bit able to concentrate on work today but still worried in the subconcious though

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 01:05:45 pm »
Neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms is ever a reliable way to gauge HIV status. Only an HIV test taken at the proper time can give you a reliable answer.

If the woman is on ARVs then it is possible that her viral load would be low(er) which would decrease the level of risk.

None of the symptoms you are reporting are HIV-specific. Discuss them with your doctor. We can't diagnose anything here.
Andy Velez

Offline petros

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 02:10:28 pm »
Update...i tested for hiv 5 weeks after exposure (1 week post pep) the result came out negative, how reassuring is that result. I know i have to test at 12 weeks just wanted to find out how PEP influences my result?

Merry Christmas...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 02:29:08 pm »
The average time to seroconversion iss 22 days after a risk. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after a risk.

So a negative at 5 weeks is very encouraging. Test at 3 months for a conclusive negative result.
Andy Velez

Offline petros

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 02:47:18 pm »
thanks Andy was just wondering if PEP will not affect antibody production?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 02:51:58 pm »
Yes, it can. Good that your reminded me. For a conclusive negative result you need to test at 3 months AFTER the completion of PEP.

I still expect you to come out of this ok.
Andy Velez

Offline petros

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 02:47:26 pm »
Thanks Andy for the words of courage..i today went for my hiv test 6 weeks post exposure (two weeks post PEP) and i tested negative..i am just wondering the possibility that this result will change in the future.....i know i was supposed to wait untill 6 weeks but iv been too anxious and worried about the possibility of being HIV positive...

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 02:54:28 pm »
Thanks Andy for the words of courage..i today went for my hiv test 6 weeks post exposure (two weeks post PEP) and i tested negative..i am just wondering the possibility that this result will change in the future.....i know i was supposed to wait untill 6 weeks but iv been too anxious and worried about the possibility of being HIV positive...

Given the relatively low risk, the woman's low viral load, AND PEP, I cannot imagine anything besides a negative result.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 04:51:19 pm »
Given all of the facts of the situation, like JK I expect you to continue to test negative.
Andy Velez

Offline petros

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 01:13:17 pm »
Just want to ask Andy, in your history with HIV, how many people have tested negative 2 weeks after POEP and later on test +ve? I will be going for my 6 weeks post PEP test in 2 weeks time. Also i have not had any serious ARS sysmptoms like rash, diarrhea, swollen nodes, weight loss, loss of appetite or fever, just a mild sore throat thats on and off. I also have had some cracks on the foreskin of my penis, but was tested for STIs and was found negative.
I am just wondering like what are the cjances the result will change at my 6 weeks post exposure testing.

Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 04:07:08 am »
Petros,

I've never seen it happen, but it might in cases where there has been a much more serious risk.

Given the fact that the woman you were with had a VL of only 50 (which would have been considered undetectable just a few years ago), you never really needed PEP in the first place. Yes, your risk in this situation was that low. If her VL had been 500,000, well, that's a whole 'nuther kettle of fish.

When I was diagnosed, I'd been with a negative man for a year and a half. We never used condoms and despite that fact he remained hiv negative. We used condoms after my diagnosis, but not before. I've never been on ARVs and so I've always had a detectable VL ranging from (approx) 8,000 to 50,000. I'm telling you this so you can understand just how difficult it can be to transmit hiv from a woman to a man. Difficult, but NOT impossible.

Another thing you should know is that positive women are conceiving children the natural way with hiv negative men when they (the women) are on ARVs. Both the men and the babies remain hiv negative. We've come a long way in this regard.

I seriously do not expect you to end up positive over this incident. Not only did she have a very small VL, but you also took PEP. You're more likely to find an envelope with 1.5 million dollars on your doorstep tomorrow morning than you are to test positive.

I hope you learn from this situation and use condoms going forward with any woman you are with.

While you're here, I'll give you my usual spiel.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline petros

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 01:12:08 pm »
Thanks for the words,

Out of anxiety i went to planned parenthood today for testing 8 weeks post exposure and 4 weeks post PEP.
I tested negative, i will go again at 6 weeks and 12 weeks just to be sure. This incident made me study stuff about HIV like i have never done before..i have learnt from this lesson.

Thank you for all the workds of support and encouragement.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 02:02:25 pm »
That's a very happy and encouraging result.

I am expecting your subsequent tests are also going to be negative.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 02:14:34 pm »
That's a very happy and encouraging result.

I am expecting your subsequent tests are also going to be negative.

Ditto.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline petros

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 03:20:05 pm »
hey guys how are you all doing...

I am goning for my 6 weeks post pep test next week and as a way of background been reading how conclusive that is and most doctors say that they are yet to come across someone who tested negative at 4 weeks (both post PEP and post exposure (in the event that no PEP was administered) and later on test positive.
In your own experience guys..for people who would have been exposed to a known HIV positive person later turn on positive at 6 weeks or later after testing negative at 4 weeks?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 03:23:16 pm »
Listen, you're nervous. I get that. And it's understandable. You need to get a grip, take your test and get your result. As Ann and I have both said to you before this, we expect you to test negative.

I'm not going to get into this any further with you at this point.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 03:24:59 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline petros

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 11:05:53 am »
Update

Had my 6 month post PEP Oralquick rapid test; NEGATIVE!!!

I am sure the 3 months test wont change from this one.

Thank you guys for the support and enlightenment..learnt my lesson...i will have sex with anyone i like so long we use condoms!!!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 11:11:23 am »
You have a conclusive test result. You don't test 6 months post your last dose of nPEP.

Offline petros

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 11:35:38 am »
I meant 6 weeks!!! my bad.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 11:44:06 am »
Petros,

I don't expect your three month result to be any different either.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline petros

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 03:42:55 pm »
Andy

I am counting towards my 13 week mark for a conclusive test. From your many years of experience on this forum, how many have you seen negative at 6 weeks (antibody test) and positive later on?

I am now not too worried about seroconversion as i was before, just that once in a while the thought strikes me saying what if?

Thanks and have a good day

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 03:48:53 pm »
Petros,

I've been posting in the Am I Infected forum for nearly eleven years and I've yet to see a six week negative change at three months. I don't expect yours will be the first.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline petros

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 04:06:43 pm »
11 years Ann? thats a whole lot of time..even fellas who would have been on PEP?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 04:16:37 pm »
If you continue to come back here with more questions and drama you are going to find yourself getting a Time Out.

There's nothing more we can add about your situation. You've been told we expect you to ultimately test negative.

Now get busy with other things in your life.

Consider yourself warned.
Andy Velez

Offline petros

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 04:40:23 pm »
Sorry Ann and everyone..just that when you are in a situation all sorts of thoughts and possibilities cross your mind...didnt mean to upset you guys.

Offline petros

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 05:02:11 pm »
Update! Went in today for my test at 12 and half weeks post exposure (8 and half weeks post pep) and did another ORA Quick test. The result was negative. Gettting a little more confident slowly..thanks for your support and encouragement.

I will now go for the proper 13 weeks post PEP test for conclusive results. The manager at planned parenthood told me that 97% of people who are infected will test pos within 1 month or 30 days.

I really learnt my lesson; have sex with anyone you want as long as you use a condom

Thanks everyone!!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2012, 06:19:52 am »
Petros,

We fully expect you to continue to test negative and so should you. If you find doubts creeping back in, re-read your entire thread. Our answers are not going to change.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently - with ANYONE - and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!!!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline petros

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2012, 04:46:22 pm »
..So went for my test at 12 weeks, (3 months) post pep and 16 weeks post exposure and did an Oraquick test..negative..i am sure thats  pretty conclusive? Now i can put my mind at ease/rest but at times my mind is like wat if you are a late seroconverter or you got false negative..this is my 7th time testing since i stopped PEP three months ago.....thanks for all the support

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2012, 07:58:11 pm »
You're HIV negative. Period. End of story.

Cut out the unnecessary drama and get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.