Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 12:06:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 150
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 145
Total: 146

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: insurance help!  (Read 5179 times)

Offline brokensister

insurance help!
« on: February 24, 2010, 12:59:30 am »
DID YOU INSURANCE BEFORE YOU WERE TESTED POSITIVE OR HOW DID YOU GET INSURANCE. IF SOMEONE COULD PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME. PLEASE

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: insurance help!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 09:42:02 am »
what?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline brokensister

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 04:20:18 pm »
Ok what I am asking is about health insurance. My brother has none and Im sure its gonna be hard to get anything now. I am wondering waht some of you have done or are doing for health insurance.

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 08:51:26 pm »
Ok what I am asking is about health insurance. My brother has none and Im sure its gonna be hard to get anything now. I am wondering waht some of you have done or are doing for health insurance.

what your brother needs medically is care. truthfully EVERYBODY, has some preexisting condition.

some HIVers receive care thru ASOs, but most people thru insurance. ASO's and every type of public/private charity have seen monies dry up! it's a bad time.

if you're in the the US, each state has different regulations (blue states, better patient protections). If your brother can work, and he can manage to obtain and keep employment (for a minimum of several months) with an employer who provides "group coverage" he would be covered without regard to his individual health. This is a  good way to get into the insurance game. If he leaves he could then either self-pay thru COBRA or gain other employment (again with benefits) or he'd be out an awful lot of money. The idea is to get insurance and NEVER become uninsured so HIPPA laws exempt his subsequent insurers denying him care for specific "preexisting conditions" for the first 6 months of treatment.

i am self-insured thru a private insurance ("self-insured"); i have great MDs and affordable copays for "meds" but the premiums and co-pays are thru the roof.

i hope everyone reading this has considered taking some action (phone your Senator, White House, etc) to get meaningful health care reform in our country---no more "waiting to see what Obama gets us". We're in crises.  example of action:
http://pol.moveon.org/virtualmarch10/action.html?id=19076-17331306-cvKH5Kx&t=1

Good Luck and Good Health!
-Steven (aka   8)  megasept)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 10:06:34 am by megasept »

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 09:10:12 pm »
here in florida - when i was unemployed i was able to get funding for my medical care (outpatient and labs) thru Ryan White funding.  The publicly funded hospital also had charity care available.  When i got employed and didn't have insurance, I was still within income range to get care (Here Ryan White is available up to 300% or 400% of federal poverty level).  Now, with my new job, I have insurance coverage with low co-pays ($30 when i see my ID doc, $20 for my primary care doc and $20 for my Atripla prescription)  Luckily my group insurance plan thru my employer didn't have a pre-existing clause, my previous employer's insurance did - which is why i stayed on Ryan White and was eligible for it. Best of luck to your brother -- have him check with local ASO.  Hopefully, the US will get its act together and people won't have to wonder how they will get care if they get ill or even to stay healthy.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline brokensister

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 10:38:43 pm »
Thank you two for the Help! Thanks alot

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 10:03:47 am »
Depending on what his particular situation is he might qualify for assistance. As others have mentioned every state has what's called ADAP/Ryan White and also Medicaid for low income.

As far as private insurance they can deny people for pre-existing conditions (although hopefully that will change in the near future). As far as how things now stand, even when they deny for this, if a person gets a job that offers coverage they can only impose the pre-existing condition clause for a maximum of one year, depending on how long the person has not had insurance in the past. So, if a person gets a job and they have not had health insurance for longer than a year, the new insurance at the job can deny for pre-existing for one year and after that they have to accept them.

Below is a link to ADAP and other HIV assistance info., you can also do a Google search putting in the name of your state and ADAP

http://www.atdn.org/

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.