Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 15, 2024, 01:39:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37594
  • Latest: FloBeee
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772732
  • Total Topics: 66292
  • Online Today: 218
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 212
Total: 213

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Amazing the things that pop up  (Read 11584 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Amazing the things that pop up
« on: June 23, 2009, 09:57:26 am »
I thought it was a cold sore, or, as I like to describe it, mouth herpes. ;)

It wasn't and I have another $40 copay receipt to prove it.

I have shingles.

I had heard that shingles could pop up virtually anywhere, but I never thought about it being on my face.  :-\

The doctor, who started me on Famvir immediately, said he hoped to prevent the spread of the shingles into my eye, my right eye as luck would have ti.

It apparently can cause problems with the eyes, including the need for corneal transplants.

Of course, it couldn't be simple. All the meds taken to combat shingles interact with Truvada, which I just started taking a month ago.

Apparently, Truvada can cause elevated levels of the shingles meds in the bloodstream.

So, we are experimenting, my doc and I. I am taking the Famvir only twice a day, rather than three times a day, as normally would be prescribed.

I will take the Truvada as usual. I will have bloodwork done Thursday to make sure this combination of drugs doesn't cause any kidney problems.

We'll see what happens. Let's hope this experiment works.

I now understand what folks mean when they say shingles are a pain.

UGH!

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 09:59:46 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Amazing the things that pop up
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 10:02:28 am »
Oh dear.  Sorry to hear of this.  Sounds as if you caught it early though, right?  I've also never heard of the truvada angle with shingles treatment, but then I've fortunately escaped this curse thus far.

You've really not had an easy year.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 10:23:26 am »
Poor Mark...oucheeee

I had shingles under arm and across back, then another outbreak across the waist. The last outbreak was on my leg when I had the DVT.

I can't imagine how I would deal with them on my face or eyes. Are your eyes at risk because of the 'cold sore' and just being on the face?

Do you still have your moustache?

((A really big hug))
Ronnie
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 10:32:27 am »
Mark, you'll get thur this, and your still a sexy hunk to me, {{{NAKED BEAR HUGS}}} Dennis in NE Albuquerque  ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 10:34:04 am by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline bear60

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 10:33:34 am »
Hey Mark...
Well isnt that just the pits.  On your face!
I am keeping you in my thoughts.  
We dont want any eye complications!

Joel
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Dwayn20

• dbscooter0@gmail.com
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 11:23:50 am »
Hey Mark I feel for you been lucky so for mine has been on my lower mid section and behind yes the shingles can cause blindness.I always worry about my situation then a reality check comes along and then I realize how small my problems are.I will keep you in my prayers Mark hope it clears up soon.
Dwayn20

I thought it was a cold sore, or, as I like to describe it, mouth herpes. ;)

It wasn't and I have another $40 copay receipt to prove it.

I have shingles.

I had heard that shingles could pop up virtually anywhere, but I never thought about it being on my face.  :-\

The doctor, who started me on Famvir immediately, said he hoped to prevent the spread of the shingles into my eye, my right eye as luck would have ti.

It apparently can cause problems with the eyes, including the need for corneal transplants.

Of course, it couldn't be simple. All the meds taken to combat shingles interact with Truvada, which I just started taking a month ago.

Apparently, Truvada can cause elevated levels of the shingles meds in the bloodstream.

So, we are experimenting, my doc and I. I am taking the Famvir only twice a day, rather than three times a day, as normally would be prescribed.

I will take the Truvada as usual. I will have bloodwork done Thursday to make sure this combination of drugs doesn't cause any kidney problems.

We'll see what happens. Let's hope this experiment works.

I now understand what folks mean when they say shingles are a pain.

UGH!

HUGS,

Mark

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 02:42:05 pm »
Lord, honey....what next?

Shingles on the face?  YIKES.   I've been lucky enough to have them elsewhere (which was bad enough)....

Hope the Famvir does the trick.   I'm on the daily prophylaxis dose of Valtrex.......

hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 06:19:13 pm »
Hello Mark,

Sorry to hear about the shingles.  The good thing is you caught it early. Yes,... you got to watch this if it spreads around the face and eyes.

Wishing a speedy recovery----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 07:28:28 pm »
Wow, Mark.  You've really not had a good year.  I hope things improve, and soon!  I'll be thinking about you.
 Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 11:53:03 pm »

aww mark.

yeah, this has been a raunchy year for you, hasn't it?

In the middle of summer, I can't imagine this god-awful infliction being anything but a royal pain. I hope your think adobe walls keep you cool.  A few years ago I had the small pox all over my body, including eyes and mouth.  It was dreadful.  I quaranteened myself to the cool basement.

not sure what to think about the truvada/famvir issue.  I can only hope that with increased levels of the shingles meds caused by the truvada, maybe it will clear up real fast.

my prayers....robt

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 02:22:02 am »
Mark,

How simply dreadful.  I want to wish you quick recovery.  It sounds like you've got a very good ID doc how wants to keep on top of things.

Hugs,
AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline gemini20

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 04:52:16 am »
Dear Mark,

Ouch!

Sorry to hear about this latest development in your health. Good that your doctor caught it so promptly and I do hope the treatment works quickly for you.

I've had two bouts of shingles but never had an outbreak on my face; the first did spread into a rather delicate area though where no woman wants to be finding sores!

I'll be sending you some healing thoughts.

Best wishes,

Emma
Diagnosed 11th September 1991
Current CD4 count 484 (26%); viral load undetectable (December 2011).
Restarting boosted Prezista 08/04/11

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 07:20:44 am »
 Mark, I wish you a speedy recovery! I will keep you in my prayers. Get well soon.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 07:24:11 am »
Mark,
Damn! So sorry to hear that you have the dreaded Shingles...I had them in 1995 and I can still recall how painfull it was. I hope it's not that bad for you dear friend!

My Mom actually has had herpies in her eye, so if you need or want any advice let me know. But let's hope and pray it stays where it is.

I wish you the best. Are you able to work? I  hope you are home, taking plenty of pain killers and relaxing.
Hang tough, I know you will.
Positive since 1985

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 07:20:06 pm »
Mark!

holy crap, I hate shingles,    sorry you are experiencing it!

Offline Lakis

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 05:33:40 pm »
Hi Mark,

I hope your meds are working and you will be in a good shape soon.
Take care.
Lakis

Offline rondrond

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 10:09:23 am »
Hey Mark,

Are you all pretty again for the Holidays?

((HUG))
Ronnie

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline buca45

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 06:37:43 pm »
I remember having severe shingles at the same time I was diagnosed 17 years ago. Although they were on my legs, the Doc gave me stict instructions not to touch them and spread it to my eyes. Kept washing my hands constantly and after a few weeks, they did disappear. I did have one small one on my chin, but it was not as serious as my legs.
Be very careful about transferring after dressing or touching your legs. It does spread easily during the 'messy' part of the outbreak.
Good Luck and hope the drugs don't interact...
"Love and Laughter and Happiness Ever After"

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 11:12:34 pm »
Hey all,

Thanks for all the wonderful support. Yes, it has been a trying year.

But, you know, it could always be worse. I am grateful I have been as lucky as I have.

The shingles are fading. I was really lucky. I caught them, or rather my doctor caught them, very early and started me on treatment immediately.

I think that made a big difference. Most of the pain/numbness has subsided. There is still one spot on my lip that is troublesome, but, its not oozing any more, so that's a plus.

I also did fine with the the Famvir (Famcyclovir). No interactions, the kidneys are just fine and the shingles were kicked in the butt.

I really do think "hit hard, hit early" was key for me.

Again, thank you all for the wonderful support.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 11:14:51 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 08:01:34 am »
Glad to here Mark, I knew you'd beat this, I had a lot of faith in you, to do just that  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline bear60

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2009, 11:52:00 am »
Mark
Thats a relief!  I know you are greatful for having a good doctor.

Joel
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline rondrond

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2009, 12:49:19 pm »
Mark,

Glad to hear that you are improving.

Enjoy your 4th.  Maybe a sparkler or two: nah:  a bottle rocket.

(HUG)
Ronnie

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.