Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:56:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772950
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 446
Total: 448

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Confused  (Read 3064 times)

Offline RobbyR

Confused
« on: March 04, 2013, 09:04:12 pm »
Hey everyone. I posted about this in the past but am doing an update now. I had been having rectal bleeding off and on for about two years. Mostly, I would have it when going number 2 for just a day or so and then it would clear up. But last month I started having regular bleeding each time I would go, bright red, and even some oozing when I wasn't going to the restroom. I had a colonoscopy way back and they said I did have a rectal polyp, it was biposied and said it was a benign inflammatory polyp. It was recommended I have it removed. My symptoms had disappeared at that time so I didn't have it removed. But as it turned out that was postponing the inevitable because fast forward to a month ago, my bleeding returned, and so I went to see a colorectal surgeon, and he examined me and said I have a small eraser-sized inflammatory polyp that needed removing, since it had become symptomatic.

I had another colonoscopy and the doctor removed it two weeks ago. I had bleeding the day after the procedure, and none since (knock on wood). He biopsied the polyp and it came back saying it was an inflammatory polyp and nothing about it being malignant or cancerous. He did however say that when he did the colonoscopy and removed it, there was some pus in there and a bit of drainage. He said it might indicate an underlying abscess. But he is going to see me back in two weeks to see how I've healed, and if it's okay, I guess I'm home free.

But what could have caused the polyp? I am only 31. I only had the one small one in the lower rectum, and my whole colon was clear otherwise. And worst case scenario what id I do have an abscess, is that a treatable thing? I don't have any pain or irritation down there, and no bleeding since the polyp removal.

I've been positive for several years, and on treatment for almost 3. Would an anal abscess last that long? I haven't had anal sex for 3 years. What causes an anal abscess? Does a polyp cause one, or do they cause a polyp? Just wondering if anyone can shed some light. The main thing is I am glad my bleeding has stopped (so far) and not having any other symptoms since my procedure
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline buginme2

Re: Confused
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 09:27:27 pm »
have you had an anal pap and high resolution anoscopy?
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 09:40:04 pm »
The biposy they did on the polyp they removed said it was inflammatory, but nothing about cancer or malignancy. The doc said he wasn't concerned, except he thought there might be a chance I have an underlying abscess, but I don't think this likely, since I have no other symptoms. My regular hiv doctor did an anal pap on me two months ago, she is screening all her male patients for HPV. I am still trying to get the results, but the few times I have called to check, they said that if something were wrong they would have called me. But I still want to know the results for myself. Like I said, I haven't had anal sex for 3 years, and no warts or pain or irritation or burning, just the mild bleeding I had, which the surgeon felt was directly related to the polyp he removed. But since I did used to have anal sex, I am eager to find out the results of the anal pap. Not sure if they only screened for HPV or the whole gambit of cancers. Basically all she did then was swab my rear and sent it off.

Not sure what a high res anoscopy is, but I have had two colonoscopies and aside from the one tiny polyp which was removed, and small amount of pus he found under the polyp, nothing else was mentioned. Maybe I'll ask about that in future.

My colorectal doc said if I am all healed up when I come see him in a few weeks, all should be fine. Moral of story, don't ignora rectal bleeding! It could be only a polyp, or it could be a sign of something much worse! If you have it, go to a doctor! I thought mine was hemmroids, and come to find out I basically have no hemmroids after all!

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline CLP1972

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 10:01:53 pm »
Robby,
In the rectum you can have internal hemorrhoids, polyps, and other growths which are less common.  The path would have shown any signs of the lesion being HPV-related.  Inflammatory polyps typically occur at the transition zone in the rectum (the transition being different types of normal tissue).  Some people who don't have enough fiber in their diet, strain a lot with BM's, or are genetically more prone to rectal prolapse, may be at higher risk of getting these.  The fact that you are 31yo means nothing...anyone can develop these, and surgical excision is the treatment of choice.  With all of the bacteria in the colon, inflammation can provide an easy route to set up an abscess, but I think you can rest assured that this has nothing to do with your HIV status, and the abscess hasn't been there since diagnosis.

Offline aaware72

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 01:31:57 am »
I am eager to find out the results of the anal pap. Not sure if they only screened for HPV or the whole gambit of cancers. Basically all she did then was swab my rear and sent it off.

Not sure what a high res endoscopy is,

I'm going to have a high res endoscopy next week.  This is because I had a abnormal pap come back.

http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/SH12045.htm

"Yes, knowledge is power. Self-knowledge brings mastery of one's body."

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 05:57:19 pm »
I found out the results of my pap from December and they said it was abnormal with squamous low-grade lesion showing up. I did have an inflammatory polyp in the lower rectum at the time, and it had caused bleeding episodes, but had it removed recently. But am wondering if the pap test merely reflected the polyp, since the colonoscopy didn't show anything else. The pap test didn't say if I have HPV or not. So I am confused. I've had two colonoscopies in two years, and now I've had the polyp taken out. Should I have a hi-res anoscopy done also? The doc already did a local endcoscopy on me before the colonoscopy to look at my polyp before he removed it. It's just all confusing. If I do have HPV, is there any vaccine or treatment I can start?

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.