Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:03:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772948
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 441
Total: 441

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Once a day meds, do I have to take them exactly every 24 hours?  (Read 5345 times)

Offline schnitzer

Once a day meds, do I have to take them exactly every 24 hours?
« on: November 28, 2006, 12:05:46 am »
I'm on Kaletra / Truvada Once a day regimen.

My dosage is Once a day (4 Kaletra / 1 Truvada)

Do I have to take them exactly every 24hrs to be effective or
is it quite forgiving if one day I take it 1hr early or the next day i take it 3hrs late. ?

How long is too early? and How long is too late to be considered a missed dose?
How many hours late can I take it from the original dose?

Thx

Offline AtomicA

• that's Famous with an F
Re: Once a day meds, do I have to take them exactly every 24 hours?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 01:50:10 am »
I'm not on the same combo as you (Kivexa and Sustiva) but my doctor told me I had a 4 hour window with those drugs (well, longer theoretically with the sustiva as it stays in your blood for up to 3 days, but who wants to mess with that). He said ideally you should take your once daily drugs within a couple hours of the time you took them on the day before but you could go up to 4 hours either way if need be. He said that in he extreme case, 6 hours was on the outside of what you should do but that you should still take them but any longer than 6 hours you should miss the dose and take it at your normal time the next day. I don't know if that will be exactly the same for your drugs but there is usually at least a couple hour window with most drugs. If you're concerned that you have some evening plans that will interfere with your ability to take them, I usually take mine a couple of hours later the night before so that if the party/play/movie/night out at a hot bar go later than you were expecting you're still only a couple of hours past your last nights dose. I know it's not the best solution, but we still need to have lives right?

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 02:50:55 pm »
Protease inhibitors (PIs) like Kaletra are more time sensitive. 

Ideally, on Kaletra once a day you want to take the next does between no more than 14 hours after the last dose. So that's +2 hours leeway. How long drugs stay in the body exactly is kinda individual, and many people will do well with an occasional longer gap, but bear in mind that Kaletra was designed for 2 x day dosing so +4 hours is stretching it a bit  . . .  The only genuine 1 x day PI around at present is Reyataz, though Kaletra and Lexiva are okay for most people 1 x day if you have never taken PIs before. 

With the Truvada, 4 hours late ain't gonna make any difference cos each of the drugs it contains (Viread and FTC) hangs around a long time.

I know the advice is often take your combo in the morning with brekkie, or a night with your supper, but this don't work for me - the only time I can be sure I'm awake / free & therefore consistent in my dosing is lunchtime, so I take my meds then.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 04:56:30 pm »
Thank you Matt. The other day I made a mistake in Mexico and took my Truvada one hour late and the day before I took my Sustiva drenched in gin so I was a bit worried. If you say taking Truvada 4 hours late is acceptable I believe you. I believe ;) all you say...
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline AtomicA

• that's Famous with an F
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 06:43:23 pm »
Eek, Matt now I'm nervous. Does that mean that the couple hour variation a night on med times for the Kivexa I take is bad? I'm pretty sure that the sustiva is ok because it stays in you for a long time but I always just take them together. Getting two degrees at once means that some nights I have to be up to ridiculous hours studying and I can't be all looped on the sustiva when I do that, but would it be a good idea to set my alarm and take the Kivexa (3TC, Abacavir) at exactly the same time every day? I told my pharmacist how I normally play it and he got a funny look on his face but didn't say anything... now I'm worried

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 07:00:27 pm »
On Kivexa, yes, you wanna be quite strict, like +2 hours.  Some people have not done well on this 2 nuke combined pill 1 x day.  The 3TC is okay, but abacavir really stretches itself to be taken 1 x day for some folks, so I would stick to a fairly tight time frame (as pot on as possble, perhaps +2 hours)

- matt

PS - it worries me a bit that people believe what  say. Yes, I am usually right  ::) n am bloody well informed I guess, but people should check / get other views / ask for a reference etc, scepticism n 2nd opinions is good - I can be tired n make mistakes :) forget stuff   ??? type wrong ... that said, cheers mr  ;D glad to be of service
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 07:11:14 pm by newt »
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.