Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:48:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 469
Total: 471

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 'AIDS cure hope in Stem Cell breaktrough' - London Times  (Read 3959 times)

Offline Rob - Dublin

'AIDS cure hope in Stem Cell breaktrough' - London Times
« on: July 04, 2006, 03:06:51 pm »
Hi Folks,

I have just read and I quote      "That a critical type of immune system cell that fights infection has been grown from human embryonic stem (ES) cells, raising the prospect that master cells could be used to treat AIDS. Scientists have coaxed human ES cells to develop into T-cells which provide one of the body's main defences against disease. The results, from a team at the University of California, Los Angles suggest it could be possible to grow replacement T-cells. Replacing dead T-cells would not cure AIDS as the new cells would be liable to infection but it could slow the progress of the disease's full blown form and 'top up' the immune system. The new T-cells could also fight other conditions in which the immune system malfunctions including severe combined immune deficiency, the 'bubble boy' syndrome., which traps children in a sterile environment.

Human ES cells are taken from early stage human embtyos and have the theoretical capability to form any body tissue, but directing their growth is difficult.

In the study published today in the journal 'proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences', Zoran Galic's team cultured human ES cells with mouse bone marrow support cells creating blood stem cells. Those were injected into a human thymus glandimplanted in a mouse. The gland turned them into T-cells".

Anyone know anymore about this or any thoughts on it or is it just another load of old 'cure' bollocks?

Rob
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 03:34:34 pm by Rob - Dublin »
14 Dec 2005 Tested Neg
21 Jan 2006 Infected
09 May 2006 Tested Poz
29 May 2006 CD4 551  (33%) VL 21,000
10 July 2006 CD4 632  (34%) VL 24,500

......when i'm good, i'm very good - when i'm bad i'm even better......

Dream as if you will live forever - Live as if you will die today.....

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
Re: 'AIDS cure hope in Stem Cell breaktrough' - London Times
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 03:22:32 pm »

Why do they always put 'cure' in the headlines when it's not even close? It just seems like shoddy journalism. I imagine that adding tcells to an advanced AIDS patient would be helpful, but if the new tcells can still be infected it seems largely useless unless you're just out of options. Then what? A tcell infusion every few days?

This seems like a nice step forward in science, but not any sort of breakthrough in hiv treatment.

brian

Offline Bartro

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 03:46:02 pm »
From what I've read it sounds like they are working on a way to develop a "designer" t-cel that can be constructed to attack a certain disease.  I'm not sure exactly how this would apply to HIV but there is an article here with more about it.

http://www.engr.utexas.edu/news/articles/200602211009/index.cfm
Rusty

Offline dario

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 06:00:49 pm »
The only significant new gene-therapy using stem cells in order to control HIV is the the one that includes the enzyme called ribozyme. Researchers believe that if our T-cells are equipped with this "man-made" enzyme, they cannot be infected.  Since the body does not naturally produce this ribozyme researchers came up with a way to cause blood cells to manufacture it. The answer was found in the emerging science of stem cells.

The stem cells chosen for this experiment are not found in human embryos, but grow naturally in bone marrow and float about in our bloodstream. They are literally the source of all blood cells -they morph into the many kinds of white cells that fight infection.

Three months ago here was a lot of talk about this novel approach which is not a cure.  It just checks the virus and keeps the viral load low without the need of drugs.  A certain chap from California was reported to be responding well.  Yet the results will be know in Spring 2007.  It is still to early to speculate on the possibility of using this cumbersome and probably very expensive strategy to combat hiv. 
... when I was young, I never needed anyone, making love was just for fun, those days are gone ... Eric Carmen (Raspberries)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.