Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:12:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773196
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 420
Total: 421

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Black Fish  (Read 2563 times)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Black Fish
« on: October 27, 2013, 07:58:15 pm »
I watched this documentary on the issue of Sea World keeping Orcas and its heartbreaking .

I have long held the opinion that Zoo's should not exist . I used to stroll through Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago but soon found that although it was a beautiful walk , free and close my apartment it left me feeling depressed for the animals that were imprisoned there .

Its infuriating that Sea World claims that imprisoning these wonderful creatures is done in the name of conservation . Orcas and other wild animals or marine life would be better conserved by leaving them in their own environment . If we stop poisoning the environment or mismanaging it as a resource the wildlife in Zoos and aquariums would do just fine without us .

I do hope that people wake up and realize how cruel Zoos are and stop supporting them .

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/26/world/americas/orca-trainer-tilikum-keiko/index.html?hpt=hp_t1   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline GoForIt

Re: Black Fish
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 09:14:48 pm »
Awesome documentary.  It's a must see.  Amazing to see how smart those creatures are and then the undeniable proof that captivity can really piss them off.  They weren't meant to be put in fish tanks their whole lives...
08/09/2013  Diagnosed WB positive
08/20/2013  CD4-506(28%)  VL-10,800
09/12/2013  CD4-391(28%)  VL-14,900
09/17/2013  Start ART (Truvada + Tivicay)
10/11/2013  CD4-377(26%)  VL-UD
12/20/2013  CD4-590(??%)  VL-UD
03/18/2014  CD4-660(29%)  VL-UD
07/22/2014  CD4-613(29%)  VL-UD
08/01/2014   Start Phase 3 TAF (Truvada 2.0) Clinical Trial (TAF + Tivicay)
10/09/2014  CD4-498(29.5%) VL-UD
11/06/2014  CD4-600(30.2%) VL-UD
01/30/2015  CD4-529(31.3%) VL-UD
07/25/2015  CD4-742(36.5%) VL-UD
10/06/2015  CD4-765(28.9%) VL-UD
01/05/2016  CD4-907(33.1%) VL-UD
03/24/2016  CD4-770(33.5%) VL-UD
06/20/2016  CD4-850(35.4%) VL-UD

Dr. Mark Wainberg on Dolutegravir:
Video 1: https://youtu.be/wCXOgLJqJAY
Video 2: https://youtu.be/DKiaD7fHO-s

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 11:07:02 pm »
It is reairing on CNN at midnight and 3am tonight.  I set a recording. 

I have always been conflicted about zoo animals.  I hear what the zoo proponents say-- they bring awareness to the destruction and poisoning of their habitats.  I mean, we do tend to have more sympathy and compassion for something we can see and interact with.  I do make rationalizations about an animal born into captivity and never knowing anything else vs one taken from the wild. 

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 02:28:19 am »
Just watched it.  After seeing it, I think these whales should not be used.  I remember going as a teen and getting splashed and thinking how cool.  I never really thought about it (although it should be obvious) that these huge animals need large bodies of water.  They spend their lives in these small pools.  You would think it would not take a news documentary to make me think, "Those pools they are in are no way big enough."  I guess we just do not think about things, unless confronted with it. 

I didn't know there had been that many incidents.  At first I wondered why anyone would work there, but I saw many had no idea of these previous incidents.  You are literally taking your life in jeopardy ever time a performer gets into the water.  The latest woman to die withheld reward, because the orca went all around the pool-- apparently not hearing the whistle to come back.  And, she was running out of fish, which they said the orcas pick up on.  They know when fish is running low, because they can hear the ice and the fish are smaller. 

There were many talking about psychosis.  It was interesting to see the part where they do an MRI on a whale.  They are very intelligent and have very complex emotions.  So, they are imprisoned all their lives.  Just like human prisoners, I can see where mental illness would set in.  They get frustrated.  Another thing I didn't know is 100% of the males have fin droop, or whatever they called it.  Their top fin flops over.  I missed why that is, but I would guess because they are not it deep water like they should be.

I have only been to Sea World once.  These animals are just too big to keep in captivity.  And, they are very strong bonds.  I was tearing up, when they took the baby away from the mother.  She cried out and continued to do so.  The other females checked on her.  That brings up something else I didn't know.  When they get beached in the wild, I didn't know many of them get beached as well, because they will not leave a family member.  So instead of one beached whale, you could end up with many more. 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 08:58:42 am »
I have a hard time accepting in most cases the we imprison animals to save them statement , it smacks of I beat you because I love you .

I know for a fact many animals live complex emotional lives and they do suffer if their needs are not met . My moms dog saw her best dog friend ran over and Killed by a truck and she kept coming back to the spot it happened for months and sitting beside the road where it happened , she also would lay on her grave and still does to this day 6 years later . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.