Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:30:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773182
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 335
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 284
Total: 286

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Early treatment starter - Top U.S. Scientist to Use New AIDS Drugs to Cure  (Read 10740 times)

Offline denniss

If this has been posted before I am terribly sorry but I dont think Ive seen it before.

Basically if you start treatment early and your VL is brought to a very low level, you can eliminate the virus after 7.7 years of aggresive treatment with Merck's new products now under investigation.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601202&sid=a8eANbfHHpsY&refer=healthcare

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
denniss, go to poz.com's Treatment News section and you'll find a video interview that Peter Staley did with Fauci while at the recent conference in Sydney and he rather clarified his remarks concerning this and the use of the word "cure," if I recall correctly when I viewed the interview last week.

I think it's buried in this one, it's 30+ minutes long so you'll have to listen to most of it:

http://www.poz.com/articles/fauci_pepfar_aids_761_12607.shtml
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline powerpuff

yeah i don't thinks so , people have been on meds years and never cleared  aids because it's in the genetic code nintegrated. once we can do this then we can talk cure??/

Offline Dachshund

sorry, I won't ask again.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 01:17:38 pm by Dachshund »

Offline powerpuff

what is your problem dauchhaund stop harrassing people. ??? this is a public forum of resect and freedom of speech each othes opnion for caregivers, hiv pos, family, and all to view. it is for people to join in conversation of what is new in out there for treatment options. why squabble amoungt ourselves. how petty. give me some real research news! like the germans removing the hiv DNa from cells! now were talking!
what aare they doing with it now they know they have the technique will they produce a drug to remove it or what???the welcome community forum states discussion for people who are poz, friends, family, caregivers.
i'm poz, i'm afriend, i'm in the health care field. wow i think i qualify? stop discriminating and isolating people it only breeds contempt!

Offline Iggy

yeah i don't thinks so , people have been on meds years and never cleared  aids because it's in the genetic code nintegrated. once we can do this then we can talk cure??/

PP,

As someone in the health care industry I am certain that no one should need to tell you that it is not about a cure at this point. 

I strongly urge you to actually watch the video that was linked about a month ago in relation to the original post and you will have a better understanding of the answer to your question.

Offline powerpuff

ouch that hurt!
I know that the conference in sydney the topic or eradication came up which would be a cure but current drugs can't get rid of the latent cells.
Only I know the germans are trying to get cd na out of cellse
the word cure seems loosely used perhaps supressed is abetter word? :-X

Offline Miss Philicia

PP... if you watch the video interview with Fauci I believe he stated that "cure" and "eradication" were a bad choice of words.

Offline powerpuff

exactly what i'm saying, supressed perhaps is a better word!1

only in the future if and only if a new therapy like taking the new dna out of cells would be a cure what the germans are working on gives us a little hope.

I AGREE the drugs right now supress.

hiv

Offline Miss Philicia

still, the key from what I read is this:

Roche, Merck Drugs

Treatment will probably include Roche's Fuzeon, which prevents the virus from attaching to immune cells, and Merck's Isentress, which stops HIV from adding its genes to the cell's genome. Isentress is in the final stages of development.

Each drug attacks a part of the virus that is untouched by other classes of medications. Such drugs might give the best chance to eradicate HIV because the virus is unlikely to have mutated to develop defenses against the new medications, Fauci said.

If doctors can get the virus down to levels where it disappears, they may stop drug treatment to see whether HIV returns, Fauci said. Treatment may eliminate the virus or reduce its numbers to levels that the patient's immune system can handle on its own.

``The first step is to see how far we can push the envelope,'' he said.

We'll see.  I'm already on Fuzeon and I'm going on Isentress.  But powerpuff, you are new to this and won't be going on these drugs right now, as these are "later line" HIV meds at least at the moment.  You should worry about getting your viral load test results and starting a first line treatment. 

Any forward movement with getting your results? Nobody here is harassing you, just trying to help as you've stated contradictory things with this, and we're worried that you are neglecting your health. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 06:51:47 pm by philly267 »

Offline powerpuff

Re: Early treatment starter - Top U.S. Scientist to Use New AIDS Drugs to Cure
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 07:56:03 pm »
I understand and thank you
I agree again, just curious...I just dont get it about the latent cells though they dont mention the cells that already have the dna incoded. if you get it on all three fronts what is to say it wont come roaring back. after all its in the dna? what do you think?

Offline powerpuff

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 07:58:09 pm »
fuezeon is an injectable right? are you taking it once or twice va day

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 08:16:36 pm »
fuezeon is an injectable right? are you taking it once or twice va day

It's an injectable, yes.  I take it twice/day but I use a needless mechanism, not the usual syringes.

Read about it here:

http://www.bioject.com/biojector2000.html

It's not yet FDB approved and I was given my Biojector during a trial of it last year.

When Isentress is FDA approved (any day now) I will go off Fuzeon and on that.

(as far as your previous post's questions I do not rightly know, and at the moment all of that topic is down the road so I don't worry... I prefer to concentrate on what is available right now)

Offline powerpuff

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 09:14:13 pm »
needleless cool that different ,i don't think iv'e seen that type. way better :-*

Offline ronaldinho

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 01:53:50 pm »
This reminds me when protease inhibitors became available and TOP US SCIENTIST Dr. David Ho said that continued therapý would eventually eradicate HIV. This was more than 10 years ago.

Offline powerpuff

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 03:42:07 pm »
 :o perhaps youre right! supression not complete eradication, how disapointing hopefully the germans will remove that dna from cells

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.