Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:32:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37645
  • Latest: ravsam
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773228
  • Total Topics: 66339
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 259
Total: 259

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: could not start meds, frustrated, discouraged, but hopeful  (Read 4311 times)

Offline koi1

could not start meds, frustrated, discouraged, but hopeful
« on: December 27, 2006, 12:49:19 am »
Yeah, it was rough today. I cried in front of the pharmacologist, the shrink and my friend who went with me for support. As soon as I knew that both professionals wanted to meet with me, I knew there was something rotten in AIDSVILLE. My liver did not get better from the last time I was in the hospital, in fact, it got worse for some mysterious reason. I knew because minutes before my appointment I checked my results by phone. I went from the 127 to 279 mark. I really don't exactly know how bad this is or what disaster it might spell, I couldn't get her to tell me where I fall along the rotten liver (ALT) range. Is it a bit taxed, or dude i'm fucked? (and not in a good way) Anyway that part was very evasive, but I know she is after all not the doctor and me breakin' down and cyrin' made her think like this whimp can't take it.

Anyway what good would it have done to alarm me when they still are not sure what is causing these abnormal enzyme numbers? It was the same thing wih me not checking my results until today. I would have spent my holiday figuring out why my liver is fried without the onions.

I know they are trying to make sure they don't kill me by killing my liver with drugs, because then where would I be? Up shit creek with a shitstorm approachin' and no canoe. I know some might find this strangely enticing, but that is another thread on another website.

I don't know, this is just a minor set back on the merry way to meds.

My therapist who was in on the meeting saw that I was so distraught, that he suggested antidepressants. I said no thanks, with my history of allergies to meds, I don't want to go that route. Scott my ex went absolutely nuts on them. I prefer to be naturally macadamian.

They gave me an ultra sound right away to see if I have fatty liver. Though I asked the tech if anything jumped out at him, he said no but warned me that any results had to be given to me by a doctor." No fatty liver" I said to him. He nodded reluctantly no.

I also had the beginning of another allergy to Mepron, or at least what appears to be. So they took me off of that, and they had me do the nebulizer thing. Which takes about 20 minutes and is only done once a month. Yeah, at least I won't have to take one teaspon of Mepron twice a day anymore. I can live with one hospital visit a month to do the pentamadine thang. And if I can schedule it with my other appointments, even better.

Anyway, my HAART is still eluding me, the news was HAART to take. Hee,hee. But I'm still chuggin' right along. I think I can, I think I can, I know I can...

Rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: could not start meds, frustrated, discouraged, but hopeful
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 05:37:59 am »
Hi Rob,

Have they checked for hep B and hep C? Sometimes docs seem to miss out on checking for these two so you would be wise to ask your doc if you've been tested.

I know from reading one of your other threads that you've not been drinking alcohol, so that couldn't be it. Are there any other drugs that you're taking - prescription or otherwise?

Hope you get to the bottom of this soon. Keep us posted - and good luck!

Hang in there mate....
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline koi1

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 08:48:37 am »
Thanks Ann,

Yeah I've been tested for most of the infectious diseases that could attack me in this vulnerable cd4 range. That was part of the good news in my second appointment with my ID team. No B or C and non active A (which lots of people have). They did an endless array of tests when I was hospitalized for three days two weeks ago. Even a nasty spinal tap. They really did a thorough job pinpointing it down to the bactrim. I am taking loperamide (immodium), for my incessant diarrhea, but that dose is half of what is safe. I recently startet taking a multivitamin, looked up the ingredients online. Niacin can sometimes raise ALt levels. I also started taking selenium. I did take tylenol which is bad for the liver. But they did a tylenol test and that was fine. Medicine is tricky, but I hope they will find what is causing this and I hope it is not serious.

rob
Drawn 02/10/07

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 09:10:31 am »
Well Rob, it sounds like they're covering all bases and that's good to hear.

Ask your doc if he thinks it's ok for you to try Milk Thistle - this is quite good for detoxing the liver and should be safe for you to take as you're not on any meds other than vitamins. Milk Thistle can interact with some meds, but is ok on its own. There's plenty of info available online, so check it out and see what you think.

Again, good luck. Try to not stress out about it too much (I know, easier said than done...). When I was having liver problems, stress always made it worse.

Hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jwhite8040

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 05:55:46 am »
Try taking the vitamin supplement called NAC.  It is used in Europe to help detoxify the liver.  I have been using it for over 1 year. 

Offline koi1

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 11:08:34 pm »
Hey Guys,

I am on the meds despite concerns about the liver. Doing fine!

rob
Drawn 02/10/07

Offline koi1

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 11:04:25 pm »
On the sixth dose, I see great improvement of my AIDS symptoms!

rob
Drawn 02/10/07

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.