Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:05:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 579
Total: 579

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Equal Opportunity Infector  (Read 2732 times)

Offline checking

Equal Opportunity Infector
« on: October 26, 2006, 02:48:49 pm »
I guess I am ignorant as its only been a couple of weeks since I got to know some details about HIV but I couldn't help ask this question. So here is goes:

Most of the members of this website appear to be of a particular sexual orientation (read 'gay'). There are a few women as I can see. I have read lately that HIV is an "Equal Opportunity Infector". So why is it that men who were infected heterosexually rarely admit or acknowledge their status?

Pardon me if I sounded rude. I am just trying to learn about this disease. I honestly feel that people in the "Am I Infected" section seem to be fearing the stigma associated with this disease, not the disease itself. I agree that was the case with me.

Please educate me on this.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Equal Opportunity Infector
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 05:51:48 pm »
Often those men in the AM I INFECTED section are worried and feeling guilt and shame because they have been someone other than a wife or partner and not infrequently with a sex worker. Plus excessive drinking is also often involved. The combination of those factors brings up a lot of shame which becomes the prime concern rather than specifics of what living with HIV is like.

You also hear fewer heterosexual men talking about it because HIV is more difficult to transmit from female to male so they may not have been infected sexually.

What are your thoughts about the question you raised?
Andy Velez

Offline checking

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 02:41:42 pm »
Andy,

I would like to disagree with you on that one. Heterosexual transmission of HIV is the norm accross the world. It affects men and women equally maybe due to issues like lack of circumcision, genital disease, sanitory factors etc.

I am originally from a developing Asian country and having AIDS there is akin to being DEAD. No Kidding. Perhaps people in the western world need to realize that they are so fortunate to have ready access to anti-retroviral drugs. I happened to watch a small documentry film made in my country last night and one respondent in the film said "He would rather have Cancer on every part of his body but not AIDS". Such is the stigma. Children with AIDS are thrown stones at there. Can you believe it?

My take on my own question I asked initially will be as follows:
Lets face it. AIDS is still perceived as a homosexual disease allover (sadly, even in developed countries like USA) although as I said earlier, heterosexual transmission is the norm. Men who are infected heterosexually tend to hide it because of the stigma associated with
1. Being perceived as Gay
2. The stigma with HIV itself

I just found this short clip on youtube. Kinda poignant. Honestly, I felt like slapping the guy who was behind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9-DYB_jdtA

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 05:25:49 pm »
I think what Andy is successfully raising is that people who are not open to discussing how they act upon their desires, especially when they aren't doing so safely or in ways that undermine their principal partner's trust, are significantly contributing to the spread of this disease - irregardless of their sexual orientation. HIV and AIDS are simply not easy things to discuss for many. Let's hope it continues to be discussed more widely until people can live without fear, stigma, and with greater honesty and respect toward each other.

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 05:48:48 pm »
This is far to deep a conversation to delve into in this format, BUT, needless to say, I have an opinion.

It has been my experience, that with the total saturation of the Media from the United States, globally, that we have been very remiss in the last 25 years in reporting the reality of this disease.  There are many reasons for this, but in the beginning here in the U.S., there was even an effort from the Whitehouse, (read Pres. Ray-gun) to transfer all of us who were HIV+ to Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, to isolate us from the society at large.  Needless to say, that didn't happen, but because of the stigma of "GAY" identity, most heterosexuals still to this day feel like they are immune from getting the virus, due to the continual propaganda from our government that it is in fact a Gay Disease.  These are still to this day the facts, and still the CDC funds most of it's prevention dollars to teaching "Men who have sex with Men".  This naturally deals a solid blow to any prevention efforts to the Heterosexual Male, as not one dollar in 25 years has been distributed yet, to target Straight Men.  Needless to say, this keeps us struggling with HIV prevention work to this day.

Only today am I starting my monthly column in my local paper, and I am struggling to help readers to realize that even though the CDC says otherwise, local society must take care not to catch the disease, and spread it to more and more women.  It is a very difficult struggle, and sometimes I feel like throwing in the towel and just let them all get infected.  I just cannot let myself do that.

In Love and Support.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Lis

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 06:18:54 pm »
I watched the youtube film.... gotta say... only you take responsibility for you... had he insisted on the condom.. then OK .. BUT.... i didn't see it as rape.. and I'm sorry that he has KS... DAH!  WE HAVE ONLY OUR SELVES!!!  If we dont fight for that.. then what is the point!
poz 1986....

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 07:37:30 am »
Checking,

I can only say I have no idea why men who were infected heterosexually rarely admit or acknowledge their status, simply because I don’t know if that’s true or not.

Regarding that disturbing video, Andy:

Hmm, let's see ...

It's 2006. Whose responsibility is it for having responsible sex again? The receiver seemed to have his wits about him (from the part I could stomach watching).

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.