Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:17:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773223
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 608
Total: 610

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My Mother's Day Trip--pictures from the Desert Southwest  (Read 4194 times)

Offline Basquo

My Mother's Day Trip--pictures from the Desert Southwest
« on: May 13, 2007, 08:57:23 pm »
I left Friday morning for Grandmama’s home in Rankin, Texas.  Grandmama is my last living grandparent. I won’t bore you with all the details of the trip, but it was sad; Grandmama is suffering from Alzheimer’s, but she still lives alone and even drives a bit. That will stop soon; she’s starting to get rid of things. In fact, she insisted we spend 3 hours last night going through pictures to dole out to her children and grandchildren.  This morning she took ill and I was troubled to see her so, but I left because I knew she was in my mum’s capable hands. I just spoke with my mother and they went to the tiny hospital in Rankin to make sure she was okay.  She’s back home now, and Mom is staying with her as my favorite aunt, who lives closer, left for Bejing today (funny how these small town ladies travel all over the world because they do a bang-up job selling Avon!)

So here’s part 1 of my trip:

I drove out of my way to see fabulous wildflowers, and often the roadside and surrounding savannah was covered in yellow, orange and red flowers, and there were even large patches of bluebonnets, which are past their prime in my area. I climbed through the foothills of the Davis Mountains, towards one of my favorite places on the planet: a small hilltop picnic area where you can look for miles around and see the buttes and mountains than inspired the comic strip “Alley Oop” from the 1930’s.

The Brown Pearl got me there safe and sound. The skies are fantastic in West Texas.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 09:03:18 pm by Basquo »

Offline Basquo

Re: My Mother's Day Trip--pictures from the Desert Southwest
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 08:59:36 pm »
Part 2:

Just on my grandmother’s three acres, there were so many tiny flowers to see. The largest of them were the prickly pear cactus, all in full orange and yellow bloom.  The purple buds are the actual fruit that they produce, so named “prickly pear” because not only are the cactus leaves shaped like pears, but the fruits taste like pears, too.  But you can’t just pick them and eat them, you have to singe off the needle-like hairs, then mash and stain them to get the “pear juice,” otherwise, you’ll get strychnine poisoning.

A storm was coming in from the North, so I went back inside.  Mom’s precious Yorkie, Libby, kept me safe

Offline Basquo

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 09:00:45 pm »
Part 3:

Afterwards, I went back outside to take some more pictures.  Rankin is a town of less than 500. There’s talk of closing the school as there’s not much left since the oil boom went bust. I enacted the macro feature of my digital camera (thanks to Jan for telling me about that) and started getting closer to some of the flowers.  Grandmama’s honeysuckle was overwhelming day and night.  Such a sweet scent.

I even got face-to-face with some of the young prickly pear leaves.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 09:01:51 pm »
Part 4:

These blossoms were about a half-inch in diameter.  They showed in lavender, purple, white, yellow, coral and orange.

On the drive home today, I took a different route, and drove by Twin Butte Park, which my cousins from the region affectionately refer to as “Squaw Tit Mountain.”  Apparently it’s known for keg parties, though I would know little of that much less squaw tits.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 09:12:53 pm »
Hi there

I love the photo's, I wonder if Prickly Pear would grow here in NZ.

I knew all about your trip before I looked at your post, I just had a phone call not 5 minutes ago from my handsome visitor from Texas... ;)

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 10:17:16 pm »
Great pics honey, glad you got to visit your grandma.....
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Jean-Yves

• Meow!
    • Home for Sign of the Tiger
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 11:57:27 pm »
Absolutely Beautiful!!!  I miss Texas in the spring so much. I lived in Austin for 8 years in the '80s. Thank you for sharing.
Jean-Yves

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 01:20:48 am »
Creighton.

What beautiful pictures.  The wide open skies, the spring blossoms. the honeysuckles, the prickley pears.  You truly live in a beautiful part of the country.  What a wonderful Mother's DAy you had~~

robert

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 04:28:49 am »
Thanks for sharing all the great pics....and I hope your granny will be ok.
I too only have one grandparent left and she's ninety two but in relatively good health.
It must have been difficult to see your grandmother that way....even more distressful
knowing it isn't going to get any better.  Going to visit her was a GOOD thing....
Hang in there, Basque!
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 08:28:36 am »
Libby is a cute doggy. next time teach her how to take a picture of you
{{{hug}}}

Offline bear60

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 08:37:38 am »
Thank you for the post and the pictures. Very nice. 
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 08:42:46 am »
Thanks for the pictures and your journal of the trip. Always have envied those who have living grandparents. I grew up without any. They can add such richness into one's life. One of these days I may get to have that experience by being one.

There's poetry in your soul, Basquo.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 08:46:36 am »
texas.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 10:03:45 am »
Wonderful post!  Loved the pictures!  I know when I go to Arizona, there is similar beauty.  I'm glad you got to see you grandmother.  I'll keep her in my thoughts and prayers.  Thanks for sharing those!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.